Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen an opponent playing Go-Shintai except when I'm playing it, too :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khanstant posted:

Draft/Sealed IRL cost 15-30, but you keep and own the cards. I also have a friend I got into it recently and she did one pre-release and sold her cards and has done some other limited events and done the same kind of just recycling the first purchase back into itself.

Unfortunately Arena being digital and f2p means you don't own anything and definitely aren't allowed to trade or sell. In the end I'd say Drafting still best use of any currency earned in-game, since you get gameplay from the packs you open, which is also true on paper.

20-30 sub for all cards would be cool, I'd even pay up to something really gross like 300 bucks just to say gently caress it, give me a playset of every card in the set and let me just play and be done with your accursed treadmill. On paper you can kind of buy 1x of each card in a set through people reselling some MTGO redemption program thing, but those are mostly well over 300.

Oh for sure. I have no qualms about paying that in real life, both because of the value of what you can pull and of course that it supports whoever is hosting the event.

Arena is just bumming me out because they built a really great interface for a digital version of it... but then locked it away unless you give them money bags. Don't get the feel goods from supporting the event host, the cards are effectively worthless despite what the shiney animations tell you, and it sounds like it costs so much to get playsets of anything that that's also basically off the table unless you're Musk and have $44 billion to burn.

Best I can describe the feeling (that I'm sure is a common one) is if Mario 64 was free, but you can only play a new level once a week - or if you paid money for that experience. I understand why they're doing it, but what a shame it is.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 7, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Well, Atraxa isn't in the hellqueue yet, right now it gets matched up against literally everything. you could use an uncommon commander with all commons in the deck and get matched against atraxa. Kenrith is generally regarded as the worst 5-color commander. Go-Shintai kinda straddles the line, its fair enough to get matched against non-hellqueue decks, though if you're getting matched against it, you probably know what you're doing, or you made a really bad deck for a really good commander.

I'm going to guess you're playing a popular 3 color commander like Kethis or Muldrotha or Yarok

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
arena is generally cheaper to play than paper magic; the loss of being able to pick up a few dozen bad cards for pennies is more than offset by not having to spend hundreds of dollars on playsets of the best cards in the formats

obviously if you're one of the people who think they can resell their expensive paper cards and make back the money you spent on them you're going to dislike not being able to cash out on arena -- but I've never thought that was a very realistic option the way things have been going in mtg in my experience over the past few years.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Arena does get better the more enfranchised you get. I came in at the start and bought the starter bundle and the 50 boosters for the first two ravnica sets. Now I have enough gems to get the pass and enough gold that I can convert to gems even with my terrible win rates in draft. It does help that I have a comfort deck in both historic and explorer so I don't need to craft new decks each release.

I don't think I would have gotten into magic if arena was just a reskinned modo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The only player that really loses out is the sort that wants to take the bad rares and mythics that nobody plays and tries to brew decks around them. It's a very expensive endeavor on Arena.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jabor posted:

The only player that really loses out is the sort that wants to take the bad rares and mythics that nobody plays and tries to brew decks around them. It's a very expensive endeavor on Arena.

it me :qq:

I have the werewolf precon and am at least pretty happy tinkering on just improving the default decks for now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Oh for sure. I have no qualms about paying that in real life, both because of the value of what you can pull and of course that it supports whoever is hosting the event.

Arena is just bumming me out because they built a really great interface for a digital version of it... but then locked it away unless you give them money bags. Don't get the feel goods from supporting the event host, the cards are effectively worthless despite what the shiney animations tell you, and it sounds like it costs so much to get playsets of anything that that's also basically off the table unless you're Musk and have $44 billion to burn.

Best I can describe the feeling (that I'm sure is a common one) is if Mario 64 was free, but you can only play a new level once a week - or if you paid money for that experience. I understand why they're doing it, but what a shame it is.

Ohh I know the feeling well, and I have a lesser version of that feeling for the paper version and is why I tried to avoid it for so long, but I also love cards games so here I am lol. I think I might be less annoyed with Arena and it's crappy business model if there were at least some half-rear end social features. I never feel like I'm playing somebody else in Arena, in paper it's fun to lose, you can chat with the people around you, it's a fun time win or lose, but in Arena losing is not fun in the same way, and with the limited communication it ends up being someone mad or offended and roping you to waste a tiny bit of your time to express their discontent. Just a bad vibe inherent to competitive online games to some extent, especially when it's a game where one person is rewarded and the other kinda wastes their time.

F2P is the worst business model, which is impressive because the "gamble for random game parts" racket was already extra.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jabor posted:

those are at least really easy to pick up while drafting, thankfully. less so if you don't play a lot of limited, but I always encourage everyone to at least get a handful of drafts in every set just for the experience

edit: modo shows why there's no chat features on arena (for people not on your friends list). imagine the person roping you also spamming slurs at you as well the whole time. I've even gotten a friend request from someone just to insult me (and I still don't know how they figured out how to get my tag on arena)

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 7, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I've been online before. I get it and that's why anonymous online competitive magic matches will never be able to hold a candle to paper, except I guess if you only ever played competitive constructed formats where everything is too intense and win focused for socializing anyway. None of the people I play with Magic keep up Arena accounts so can't speak of playing with a friend on voice or cam hits the spot or not.

Really, I'd never moan about lack of social features if they at least had something like an FNM where you're committed to the time (or can always concede and leave technically) for ~4 hours and draft with an actual pod and card pool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I go through spurts of playing on MODO a lot (basically whenever Vintage Cube is up) and I don’t really get flamed too much beyond the occasional “wow nice top deck fucker” stuff. It’s probably still better for WotC to just keep Arena comms off and avoid the hassle entirely but the MtG population is way less toxic than a lot of other communities IME.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Jabor posted:

What deck are you playing?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Are you also playing a 5-color deck, by chance?

A Moose posted:

I'm going to guess you're playing a popular 3 color commander like Kethis or Muldrotha or Yarok

Gallia of the Endless Dance
Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
Grolnok, the Omnivore
Queza, Augur of Agonies
and Ilharg, the Raze-Boar

I’ve never seen anyone else play any of them.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I cannot imagine the kind of person who gets mad playing Vintage cube because even if my opponent wins through absolute nonsense I get to watch some insanity happen which is really the point of vintage cube anywy

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I've even gotten a friend request from someone just to insult me (and I still don't know how they figured out how to get my tag on arena)

That's some real dedication, you've gotta go digging around in the game log to pull that up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Much more likely to get a hello out of someone with a weird/cool/original deck. People that enjoy magic just for the sake of playing rather than solely focused on winning. A reminder that this game doesn’t have to be stressful.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Khanstant posted:

(or can always concede and leave technically)

What? You can concede and walk away from Arena any time you want.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they're saying they want something on arena where you have to play for several hours straight uninterrupted, like a draft pod at a fnm

fwiw you can get that if you're in the right discord communities, but i doubt for several reasons it'd be ever implemented on arena proper.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that's probably the better route. It's mostly weeks I can't attend FNM, where I still kind of have that time carved out on my head and itchy to play. Drafting on Arena normally ain't the same. How do you actually set up a draft on Arena with specific pod of people, is that possible?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Khanstant posted:

Yeah that's probably the better route. It's mostly weeks I can't attend FNM, where I still kind of have that time carved out on my head and itchy to play. Drafting on Arena normally ain't the same. How do you actually set up a draft on Arena with specific pod of people, is that possible?

sure just pick them from your Friends list

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

You don't get the cards, but you can use Draftsim

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
With careful timing you can get a few people into the same draft, (they you save the deck and do private matches) but practically speaking for a full pod you need to run the draft off-site in a simulator and import the decks back to arena and set up private matches, for which everyone needs good enough collections or wildcards to burn.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Personally, I love Arena. I just play drafts once or twice a week, use the drafts to do my dailys, and between winning a bit and playing a couple games a day, I can draft forever. And if I do this consistently enough, I can play Standard for free as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah at the end of the day, I get to play way more magic than I ever would with paper, while spending way less.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh dang, that's what I feared but then thought was solved with the friends list. Welp, another thing that would be nice to have in Arena, host and stage a draft for invited people. The companion app can do it haha.

Actually... That's something they could monetize since I assume players would still need to pay a draft fee of some sort. Streamers or YouTubers and others could host their own drafts and draw in 7+ other people into dropping currency for that draft. Plus friend and play groups who might wanna have an online game together in lieu of in person. I know I could rope together enough people for this theoretical arena draft, but I do not know enough people to go through any extra work or offapp tools to draft.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Personally, I love Arena. I just play drafts once or twice a week, use the drafts to do my dailys, and between winning a bit and playing a couple games a day, I can draft forever. And if I do this consistently enough, I can play Standard for free as well.

Yeah this is cool and pretty good. I kept up with it for a while and eventually learned I just don't like playing online it turns out. I need the personal interaction I think.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah this is cool and pretty good. I kept up with it for a while and eventually learned I just don't like playing online it turns out. I need the personal interaction I think.

Yeah that's where I ended up too, just no replacing the face to face interaction even if it's not always perfect

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah that's where I ended up too, just no replacing the face to face interaction even if it's not always perfect

Yeah, in person I usually have fun playing competitively even if I’m losing, because there’s the aspect of meeting cool people and bullshitting to go with it. It’s just not the same when xGokuBallz69x is spamming “good game” at you and you can only glare at your own screen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What a great card name

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I got my Compleat Edition bundle today and holy poo poo those oil slick raised foil lands are nice looking. My mythics weren't anything special, just the scepter and the 3RRR dragon, but I'm pretty happy with it as a collector of stupid bullshit card treatments.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

What a great card name

If the hearse is a-rockin', don't bother blockin'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Shouldn't have trample, having a rando be able to block the whole thing would be extremely on brand.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Vidmaster posted:

I got my Compleat Edition bundle today and holy poo poo those oil slick raised foil lands are nice looking. My mythics weren't anything special, just the scepter and the 3RRR dragon, but I'm pretty happy with it as a collector of stupid bullshit card treatments.

Mine was cancelled because I ordered early enough to lock it in at like $85 and oh weird the seller didn't get their full allocation geeze guess they'll have to cancel!

I mean maybe they did actually get shafted, but I'm skeptical.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was that card printed before the Crew keyword or was it a thematic choice to better represent a deceased couple filling the carriage?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
As a seller who gets allocations, I can tell you that yes, everybody got shafted. Being told that by an Amazon seller versus an lgs makes it feel more sus for sure, but they really did severely cut back on the distributions they'd initially suggested

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Was that card printed before the Crew keyword or was it a thematic choice to better represent a deceased couple filling the carriage?

After, there are a couple of cards in the past few years that play around with non-crew ways of turning on vehicles. Dermotaxi and Weatherlight Compleated are two that I remember.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

sit on my Facebook posted:

As a seller who gets allocations, I can tell you that yes, everybody got shafted. Being told that by an Amazon seller versus an lgs makes it feel more sus for sure, but they really did severely cut back on the distributions they'd initially suggested

As a seller, what in your opinion is the best way of letting WotC know how lovely the low allocation/high price is? I'm all for calling out sellers that jack up the price after the fact but if stores aren't getting enough to satisfy demand I can logically understand the high prices even if I think it's scummy. Obviously not buying is the first thing but that doesn't really let WotC know why I'm not buying.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Crew's from Kaladesh, 7 years old this summer

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Crew's from Kaladesh, 7 years old this summer

no? Crew is brand new, I remember my group not liking it and nobody plays it, must have been like last year, has to be

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

MasterBuilder posted:

As a seller, what in your opinion is the best way of letting WotC know how lovely the low allocation/high price is? I'm all for calling out sellers that jack up the price after the fact but if stores aren't getting enough to satisfy demand I can logically understand the high prices even if I think it's scummy. Obviously not buying is the first thing but that doesn't really let WotC know why I'm not buying.

There's not really a great answer to this I'm afraid. Talking to your lgs owner, who likely interfaces with wotc often, direct emails, or the customer feedback surveys are about all you've got. But, in this case the restricted allocation is a feature, not a bug. Limited-print collectible items are a tale as old as time, and WoTC is absolutely doing it on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

Crew uses numerical values, so you can only do crew costs based on a total power of creatures crewing the vehicle. Which means you can't do "Crew, tap two creatures" so the templating they use for when there are additional crew costs (ie, two creatures, or creatures with certain qualities) is this wordier version.