Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This chapter is great for speculation cause I have no clue what this could be.

Intrusive thoughts or impulse control seems to be the ability used, but those don’t really make sense as a primal fear and it’s also similar to control/authority so I don’t think that makes sense in the setting. Unless big enough fears also get a horseman as a representative. Makima immediately coming back as Nayuta would make sense if there was a primal Control that immediately killed her in hell, but I don’t think this theory is supported in universe.

Despair would make sense as well, although the reactions people were giving really didn’t seem like despair. They all fell so it could be fear of heights which seems like a good candidate for primal fear, but then that doesn’t make sense for the lead-up. Could also be the suicide devil but that doesn’t really seem like a primal fear, and that would go more with intrusive thoughts or impulse control anyway. Last guess is this is the Mania devil, everything kind of works if that’s the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Whoever said the change Devil is also a good guess considering the proceeding scene. Also sort of fits the story so far and could be construed as chaos or randomness.

Or the fear of the happening by m night shamalan Devil

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Japanese readers saying that the mystery devil is described using the same wording as Darkness Devil, so “primal fear” seems more correct than “true source of fear” fanlation

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I guess all this must be some plan of Hell? We know that the primals like Darkness never end up on earth because they are just too danged strong to be killed by other devils. I think it was said "they've never known death" or some such and have never been reincarnated. That's a hell of a first big fight for the second story and I don't see how Denji alone does anything about it. Maybe it's just gonna do what it came to do and be the setup for preventing something even worse, idk.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Defeat Devil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With the general nihilism of the CSM world I’m not sure Death would be a primal fear anymore. Maybe that’s what this is all for, to power it back up.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Whoever said the change Devil is also a good guess considering the proceeding scene. Also sort of fits the story so far and could be construed as chaos or randomness.

Or the fear of the happening by m night shamalan Devil

This is also my theory, I think change definitely counts as a primal fear.

New and different things/events have always been scary for people due to how unpredictable they are-- the promotion might earn you more money, but what about long hours or more expectations? What if you can't hack it and get fired immediately? A new car would be cool, but what if it just costs you more in the long run? What if you wind up wishing things were the way they were before?

And the death tie-in -- death is both the ultimate change in life states and also completely permanent once it happens. No more scary change.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
if such a powerful devil has appeared in the human world, then who killed it in hell? previously we were told that the primal fear devils like the darkness devil had never once died due to being so powerful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lih posted:

if such a powerful devil has appeared in the human world, then who killed it in hell? previously we were told that the primal fear devils like the darkness devil had never once died due to being so powerful

the hell devil was killed during kishibe’s op against makima, so theoretically any devils in hell strong enough to intimidate it could have an alternate route

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RatHat posted:

With the general nihilism of the CSM world I’m not sure Death would be a primal fear anymore. Maybe that’s what this is all for, to power it back up.

It’s plenty good as a big bad. It fits in both as a horseman and a primal fear

But I think there’s room for fears more interesting than that

I am nursing a daydream that a future arc will feature fears of conventionally positive things. A Life Devil, or a Truth Devil. Justice Devil was a pretty good twist on that idea. And I think we haven’t actually seen Justice Devil yet, just people who made contracts with it!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lih posted:

It could be that ultimate terror that's why the new primal devil is the herald because the ultimate terror killed her and sent her to Earth.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It'd be really funny if it was Suicide Devil and it just killed itself in Hell.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
C’mon guys

Any devil can slip Hell Devil a few bucks to Uber them to earth

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ooo.
Rideshare Devil.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Scholtz posted:

It's the Cyberbullying "kill you'reself" Devil

Where's Tyler the Creator when we need him the most?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah seriously, it's been established that dying in hell is a way to get to Earth, but it isn't the only way, and we probably don't even know all the ways. The loving Spider Devil got Makima there.

This has got me thinking though, what if all of the suicides weren't this primal fear's doing and were a way of summoning it to Earth? Seems unlikely, either some sorta suicide devil would need to be nearby or need to work remotely. Then the primal fear could be anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brightman posted:

Yeah seriously, it's been established that dying in hell is a way to get to Earth, but it isn't the only way, and we probably don't even know all the ways. The loving Spider Devil got Makima there.

This has got me thinking though, what if all of the suicides weren't this primal fear's doing and were a way of summoning it to Earth? Seems unlikely, either some sorta suicide devil would need to be nearby or need to work remotely. Then the primal fear could be anything.

I think Spider devil was just able to bring Makima to her, she can’t just teleport to Hell whenever she wants.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

RatHat posted:

I think Spider devil was just able to bring Makima to her, she can’t just teleport to Hell whenever she wants.

I'll be honest it's unclear, but also not entirely my point, it's still a way into hell for Makima.

I just re-read those chapters and Prinz is nowhere to be seen between Makima telling them to make sure to extract Denji and retrieve as many corpses as possible and her showing up in hell after everyone else loses their arms and such.

It's probably a safe assumption that she was in the building and went to hell but kept hidden (she just phases up out of the ground) but it's not clear. Like I don't know if she can like summon herself to people or just teleport but it's more likely she was just concealed in the department store.

Again, it's beside the point that there are several ways in and out of hell and we probably don't know them all.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

I'll be honest it's unclear, but also not entirely my point, it's still a way into hell for Makima.

I just re-read those chapters and Prinz is nowhere to be seen between Makima telling them to make sure to extract Denji and retrieve as many corpses as possible and her showing up in hell after everyone else loses their arms and such.

It's probably a safe assumption that she was in the building and went to hell but kept hidden (she just phases up out of the ground) but it's not clear. Like I don't know if she can like summon herself to people or just teleport but it's more likely she was just concealed in the department store.

Again, it's beside the point that there are several ways in and out of hell and we probably don't know them all.

like maybe? if that's true tho why has a primal fear never visited earth for some happy fun times? feels like access into and out of hell being generally restricted is a thing even if it can be bypassed in some way

we really don't know a ton about devils outside of they like to eat people. I'm sure there's more going on here, since we had a pretty unreliable narrator for part 1 in Makima. like are there factions? we see some devils cowing such as Typhoon to Reze. they can clearly form relationships, but to what end? is there a society in hell outside of murder death kill? are there pacts and alliances or rules of conduct?

we're essentially reading a slice of life manga in the middle of a doomsday battle royale
scenario. I expect poo poo to get buck wild considering what's already happened and where Fire Punch ended up going

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yeah there's a lot of info we should be taking with a giant grain of salt given how things have shaken out.

While I think there are several ways out of hell I'm not saying it's easy, they might involve complex conditions or have a high cost.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't the Gun Devil summoned through a contract?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Didn't makima get everyone out by forcing doll guy to use his hell devil contract? Probably got in the same/similar

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Das Boo posted:

Defeat Devil.

I actually like this idea. I feel like the author wouldn't have focused on the conversation they did if it didn't matter to some degree, so the people guessing in this kind of vein of defeat, loss or resignation feels like it fits the vibe of the scene with people kind of giving up and killing themselves, following a conversation where one guy's trying to argue for why he wants this thing now that he might finally be able to afford it only to be shot down on how that's a bad idea.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
It’s the social anxiety devil.

Talking to another person for 30 seconds? Welp, guess I’ll just die. :rip:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Elite posted:

It’s the social anxiety devil.

Talking to another person for 30 seconds? Welp, guess I’ll just die. :rip:

It's the "I've had plans for a week with this person and today is the day I'm supposed to go out" devil

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Commitment Devil maybe?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Wellwinds posted:

Didn't makima get everyone out by forcing doll guy to use his hell devil contract? Probably got in the same/similar

didn't that contract require sacrificing 3 children and the old man doll? there are ways into hell but you kinda have to know the rules of equivalent exchange. devils can be super fickle about what they'll accept

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Mine is fear of failure

Im guessing it's this. the fail devil

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

didn't that contract require sacrificing 3 children and the old man doll? there are ways into hell but you kinda have to know the rules of equivalent exchange. devils can be super fickle about what they'll accept

I think if someone like Darkness asked a devil to do something then that devil would comply without much argument

that or try to swallow their own head

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

I think if someone like Darkness asked a devil to do something then that devil would comply without much argument

sure but I was talking about getting in. like I said before how come no primal has decided to cause a ruckus on earth they should be able to easily get in? do they keep each other in check?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sure but I was talking about getting in. like I said before how come no primal has decided to cause a ruckus on earth they should be able to easily get in? do they keep each other in check?

Why would they? They're already plenty feared, and there's not much to interest them on Earth.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Oxxidation posted:

I'd imagine Power isn't an outlier and the average devil is incredibly opportunistic and cowardly

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Why would they? They're already plenty feared, and there's not much to interest them on Earth.

well one of them seems to be interested in coming now. so what has changed?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

well one of them seems to be interested in coming now. so what has changed?

Obviously something did, given the whole prophecy. My guess?

Probably something to do with War and Chainsaw Man. Even Darkness thought Chainsaw was a big enough prize to be worth giving the power to defeat Conquest. That suggests a lot of interest.

(Also, Makima being gone is probably also a factor. She'd snowballed pretty hard compared to her already high default. Nayuta is still pretty strong, but Makima had spent enough time gaming the system to make high ends like Gun into a joke.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I think that the Hell Devil can freely move people / devils in/out of hell, it's just that it's a devil and thus doesn't want to help others unless you pay it via a contract (or presumably are strong enough to threaten it into giving in to your demands)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think that the Hell Devil can freely move people / devils in/out of hell, it's just that it's a devil and thus doesn't want to help others unless you pay it via a contract (or presumably are strong enough to threaten it into giving in to your demands)

yeh this was the point I was trying to make earlier:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Maybe it's like D&D divinity rules, where gods need mortal worshipers to maintain their powers/existence. It could be the same for the Devils in Chainsaw Man.

It's fine if rando devils kill a bunch of people on Earth, but the arrival of a Primal Fear could be an apocalypse situation, and if there's no one around to be afraid, then the Devils can't exist anymore. This is why the Primal Fears have stayed out of mortal affairs and remained in Hell, as doing so could risk their immortal lives.

Though, why this has now changed is unclear, as we finally have a Primal Fear arriving on Earth. Maybe they're just big Nostradamus fans?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
summary is

a) devils can use means other than dying to exit hell, such as hell devil
b) primal fears can in all likelihood bypass contracts with lesser devils due to literally being the scariest things in the world
c) primal fears probably don't care about leaving hell for the most part, because they get all the fear they need just hanging out in their personal territories
d) something's changed recently that has primal fears on the move, and they're willingly leaving hell through whatever means available to them

there's also the possibility that the hands devil in this chapter wasn't the cause of the suicides but somehow summoned through them. it's emerging from the corpse pile like a cocoon

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Im guessing it's this. the fail devil

Ooo Failure Devil has a nice ring to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wonder if any governments make policy and/or propaganda to make their citizens more afraid of devils with which they're contracted.