Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Steam cleaners are your friend for bathtubs. Like pressure washers they are effective removers of all kinds of gunk. Unlike pressure washers, you can use them inside your house or car without making a new and different mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah that sounds like the Ryobi EZClean would do the job then, since it sounds like you just want to blast them down with a stream of water, though I imagine the tubs will probably need more elbow grease. As previously stated it will struggle to remove stuck lodged dirt/grime on textured surfaces (like walkways/brick, and probably tubs fall in that area to some degree).

Hm.. that's an issue I have. Some of the texturing on the bottom is a pain in the rear end to hit with a regular brush.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Mr. Mambold posted:

If you gotta do a fuckton, go ahead and spring for a paddle.

Too big for a mud pan! I’ve seen folks using an egg beater in a drill for a mud pan but then you gotta remember to keep one of those w you

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Steam cleaners are your friend for bathtubs. Like pressure washers they are effective removers of all kinds of gunk. Unlike pressure washers, you can use them inside your house or car without making a new and different mess.

Any recommendations for a steam cleaner? Have a shower that needs a deep clean.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

On Aresnic's recommendation I got the Dupray several months ago and it's been pretty great.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
SawStop is shipping me out a new break hoping it fixes the electrical issues I have been having(sometimes the saw doesn’t start to spin when pull the paddle out). Supports been pretty good they sent me a couple small things to check and then shipped me a new break. I really hope this fixes the issue I don’t want to be retiring a 2 month old saw.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Did they suggest a new belt? I've read that the belt is part of the sensing system and wear or dust can make it not work properly.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Electronaut posted:

I've had the McCulloch MC1275 I got on Amazon 5 years ago and it's been fine. Some of the accessories are probably of limited utility, controls are very simple (on/off) but I probably don't use it enough to really comment on it's longevity.

It really shows it's value in auto detailing, grout, and cleaning tenacious grease.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

On Aresnic's recommendation I got the Dupray several months ago and it's been pretty great.
Has to have been somebody else; I don't have a steam cleaner. (Assuming that's me.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has to have been somebody else; I don't have a steam cleaner. (Assuming that's me.)

Huh, could have sworn that was you. Anyway, it was somebody around here.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Too big for a mud pan! I’ve seen folks using an egg beater in a drill for a mud pan but then you gotta remember to keep one of those w you

3 gallon bucket is your friend, Friend. I suppose if it's an imperial fuckton vs. a metric fuckton, an egg beater would suffice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A truckload of Ryobi tools on sale for $249. Holy crap.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/807376

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

3 gallon bucket is your friend, Friend. I suppose if it's an imperial fuckton vs. a metric fuckton, an egg beater would suffice.

I don't know how you work, but I'm not dirtying and cleaning an extra bucket to make batch(es) of 20 hot. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me or anyone else I've worked with/around. You mix it in the pan and then all you have is a pan and knife to clean instead of a pan a knife, a bucket knife and a bucket.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 7, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

A truckload of Ryobi tools on sale for $249. Holy crap.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/807376

Sigh I own most of those.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

drat! Never heard of SlickDeals until now and some of those finds are nice. Is this a site I need to keep a tab open for, or am I good to check in on it once a day?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Armauk posted:

drat! Never heard of SlickDeals until now and some of those finds are nice. Is this a site I need to keep a tab open for, or am I good to check in on it once a day?
They've been around for nearly 25 years. Depends on what you want (and if you're in the states; US based site). I couldn't tell you if you should check it once a day or not... the Frontpage stuff goes from great to "meh" depending on how many deals there are.

If you're looking for Ryobi/Ridgid deals specifically, then subscribe to DTO's newsletter/email blast/whatever at the bottom:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

DTO runs a lot of sales, and how good they are varies. Buy factory blemished since they're really new in box but Ryobi/Ridgid are getting around their Home Depot exclusive contract by saying they're blemished. All of the "blemished" tools come with full warranty (3 to 5 years for Ryobi; Lifetime Service Agreement for Ridgid if you register within 60 days or whatever). Sales will last for whatever amount of days it says in the details and then end at midnight ET on whatever day, so you can always get a jump on the next sale at that time.

You can also register on Slickdeals, then up top there's a maroon Deal Alerts button:

You can set deal alerts; they might take some practice to dial in, and I can't guarantee they'll always be timely, but you can get notifications for stuff you want. I say dial in because you'll have to sort through trash deal notifications. Also because it's functioning off of keyword/context stuff on deals posted on basically a really old forum from like 20 years ago. Like Slickdeals has a shiny top coat that looks new but the old forum is still there, and everything is still a forum post. I wouldn't set hugely specific categories; just only use categories if you're getting trash from other stuff that isn't what you're looking for but happens to share the same name.

Finally, if you use Amazon you should get something like camelcamelcamel (setup an account and install extension).
https://camelcamelcamel.com/

That lets you setup Amazon price alerts; I do this on stuff that I want but I don't like the price, and it also let's you see price history charts. Extension lets you do a convenient pulldown like this:

Item displayed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFZY2F2

Most power tool deals are going to be found on DTO, Home Depot, or Lowes though. Ryobi will be DTO or during the annual Ryobi Days sale. Home Depot or Lowes will run whatever free tool deal that might line up with what you want or need for Makita/Milwaukee/etc.
Amazon has a decent deal on power tools now and again; usually the more expensive ones (MIlwaukee/Makita).
Slickdeals will also highlight some decent power tool deals from the like of ACME Tools, Max Tool, Tool Nut and a few others.

Finally there's the "hack" at Home Depot, which depends on how much you hate the people working there. If you get a "free tool" power tool bundle, Home Depot will distribute the total price for the bundled items between them. i.e.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-21XC/205145430

The price is $179.99 and it distributes the amount between the primary item in the bundle and the "free" tool. You can then keep the one you want and return the other, and now you got a discounted tool. This becomes more swingy when you have multiple tools to choose from in the "free" column. If you want the "free" tool for free you go with the cheaper item and more of the price will be allocated towards the main item; if you want the main item in the bundle for cheaper then you pick the most expensive "free" item and more of the price will be allocated to that item. This creates extra work for people working there though so don't surprised if you get the stink eye if you do this often.
This used to be a lot more prevalent when back when you could ship each part of the bundle to different stores, so people would ship the item they didn't want to another store, and it would sit there for pickup before eventually being cancelled, while they went to pick up the item they wanted at the store of their choice. Took Home Depot like 5 years to shut that down, since they got tired of their pickup lockers being filled with tools destined to be returned :v:.

There's a similar "hack" at Lowe's iirc, though I hear it's even more dumb. But Lowe's runs less of those kinds of deals.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 7, 2023

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

I don't know how you work, but I'm not dirtying and cleaning an extra bucket to make batch(es) of 20 hot. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me or anyone else I've worked with/around. You mix it in the pan and then all you have is a pan and knife to clean instead of a pan a knife, a bucket knife and a bucket.

That's how I go too, just the knife if it doesn't need mixing. Those guys were talking wire mixers with a drill and whatnot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's how I go too, just the knife if it doesn't need mixing. Those guys were talking wire mixers with a drill and whatnot.

Hot mud always needs mixing. But I'm not gonna dirty more poo poo to do it. Although if I was making tray after tray all day long the egg beater in a drill thing sounds pretty good as does the piece of wire that started this whole thing.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The vague equivalent to DTO for Makita is CPO Outlets: https://www.cpooutlets.com/reconditioned_makita_products

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there anything similar for Milwaukee? I'd love to score an M18 inflator for my dad...

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Yes, there is

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
CPO does DeWalt too. Although unfortunately it's been years since I've seen discounts on the caliber of DTO.

DTO can be absolute highway robbery if you're patient, doubly so when you can get your Ridgid stuff with the same lifetime warranty as new if you buy factory blem.

RE Slickdeals, it's kind of a mandatory deals site to pay attention too. There's lots of non deals listed and most can be ignored, but basically any real deal is going to make it on there.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bob Mundon posted:

RE Slickdeals, it's kind of a mandatory deals site to pay attention too. There's lots of non deals listed and most can be ignored, but basically any real deal is going to make it on there.
This. I just don't know if I'd recommend checking it daily. They have a new algorithm thing that tries to recommend deals based off your viewing/thumbsup history now on the FP, so maybe that results in more deals that you like.

It's a site that is extremely powerful but I feel it's a bit harder for casual users to get the most out of it.

Other things that are useful:
1.) A lot of the user comments on products can give you a sense of both the product and deal history.
2.) Searching old threads for a product can give you a sense of how often an item goes on sale (where price history isn't available, since there aren't price charts for every store)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Slickdeals is definitely a site you need to set deal alerts on stuff you want. If you just let it spam every front page deal as a notification to your phone, the signal to noise ratio is really low.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Thank you for the primer. A lot of good stuff!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A selection of weird things I got after hearing about it on Slickdeals:
My previously mentioned steam cleaner
$13 for a 24 pack of 1.5oz roasted pistachios
$12 for a gallon of Worcestershire sauce
$23 for some really nice Peltor electronic earmuffs with a bonus 3M kids ear protection muffs

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there anything similar for Milwaukee? I'd love to score an M18 inflator for my dad...

Once in a while Direct Tools Outlet has a very limited selection of Milwaukee branded stuff in their physical outlet stores. I go to the one in San Marcos, TX every 2 or 3 months, and they have a very small selection of Milwaukee stuff sometimes tucked away in a corner. It's mostly Ryobi and Rigid though. Not sure if there is a physical store near you or not, but if you're ever around one they're worth popping in and seeing if there is anything you can't live without on sale.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Slickdeals is great, one of the beloved remaining relics of web 1.0. Ten or 15 years ago, it was incredible, since price errors of various kinds and coupon stacking were way more common before etailers figured out we’d take advantage. I got nice kitchen stuff that I could never have afforded otherwise for like 75% off. Today it’s not as great just because there aren’t as many great deals out there. There’s also more affiliation stuff and kickbacks, but it’s still worthwhile.

The optimal way to use it imo is to set up deal alerts whenever there’s something specific you’d like to keep an eye out for, or brands you know you like and are willing to be lured into purchases for. You can also check out the front page and forums whenever, but tbh for me that’s only November/December. You definitely can’t subscribe to everything or you’d lose your mind with the frontpage deals for literal nuts and bolts, kids’ toys, computer internals, funko pops, etc.

Do read deal comments. Often they have a better coupon or tip, or they’ll warn you away from a bad product.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 8, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
$99 7 pc dewalt kit from home depot was posted by someone on here I believe. Though I do think it was late at night. I instantly bought 3 assuming they were going to get cancelled it and they arrived a few days later. I don't think I'll ever get another deal like that again. I'll never forget the feeling when my wife texted me a photo that just said "three big boxes just showed up to the house". I literally giggled.

I check slickdeals every so often. If I really need/want something specific I would make a price alert like others have said. Otherwise its sort of just waiting for those deals to come up and act as quickly as possible.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Verman posted:

$99 7 pc dewalt kit from home depot was posted by someone on here I believe. Though I do think it was late at night. I instantly bought 3 assuming they were going to get cancelled it and they arrived a few days later. I don't think I'll ever get another deal like that again. I'll never forget the feeling when my wife texted me a photo that just said "three big boxes just showed up to the house". I literally giggled.

I check slickdeals every so often. If I really need/want something specific I would make a price alert like others have said. Otherwise its sort of just waiting for those deals to come up and act as quickly as possible.
Yeah it was this one :v: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...1D2M1/312585400
I re-posted that from Slickdeals onto SA. That was price mistake of the decade sort of thing. So many things went wrong for Home Depot and right for most people that ordered. Home Depot was cancelling orders and still shipping them out, so I never followed up on if that meant some people actually got their tool sets for free. And it came with the nice rolling tool box too!
My guess is that Home Depot doesn't have fine control over their shipping operations at their warehouse (since the store ones were cancelled mostly) and so once it was the order was in the system and already setup to ship... there was no stopping it unless they stopped all shipping operations. It was also Sunday night into Monday morning, like most great price mistakes, so the order was queued up and ready to go. I only got one but I'm happy with it.

Doesn't quite beat out the Prime Day camera price mistake but it's probably second to that for me (or third)!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeAuMaN posted:

I re-posted that from Slickdeals onto SA. That was price mistake of the decade sort of thing. So many things went wrong for Home Depot and right for most people that ordered. Home Depot was cancelling orders and still shipping them out, so I never followed up on if that meant some people actually got their tool sets for free. And it came with the nice rolling tool box too!
My guess is that Home Depot doesn't have fine control over their shipping operations at their warehouse (since the store ones were cancelled mostly) and so once it was the order was in the system and already setup to ship... there was no stopping it unless they stopped all shipping operations. It was also Sunday night into Monday morning, like most great price mistakes, so the order was queued up and ready to go. I only got one but I'm happy with it.

Doesn't quite beat out the Prime Day camera price mistake but it's probably second to that for me (or third)!

Yeah IIRC mine showed up at my door while it was still processing on HD's site.

Edit: Oh it was even better. It showed as an Error.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

You remember the one crazy price mistake from the gun deals thread that had Midway selling 5.56 at like 10 cents per round? Everyone went loving HAM ordering a shitload of it. Also a deal of the decade.

Then someone posted a hilarious comic of Larry Potterfield (owner of Midway) going ballistic on some entry-level nerd that typed the wrong price in. Absolutely lost my poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2023

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You remember the one crazy price mistake from the gun deals thread that had Midway selling 5.56 at like 10 cents per round? Everyone went loving HAM ordering a shitload of it. Also a deal of the decade.

Then someone posted a hilarious comic of Larry Potterfield (owner of Midway) going ballistic on some entry-level nerd that typed the wrong price in. Absolutely lost my poo poo.

That was hilarious, yeah, though I think Midway cancelled. :smith:

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Same. They actually had UPS intercept orders on that one, pretty rare. They even intercepted previously delivered boxes by driving back around and picking them up.

I think mine made it a state away before it turned around. I don't even want to think about how much that fiasco cost them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Canada goons:

Home depot this week has the ryobi 18v 2" brad nailer loose tool for $99

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Is there a go-to brand of earplugs or are they all pretty much exactly the same these days? To be used for general workshop hearing protection (saws, planer, jointer, dust collection) and I don't need audio capabilities a la Isotunes.

I've been using earmuff-style protectors but between the facemask and the eye protection and the rising temperatures... I could really use a more lightweight solution. Preferably something with a cord connecting the two plugs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Honeywell Laser Lights

Howard Leight by Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs, 100-Pairs, Pink/Yellow, LL-30 https://a.co/d/bCdfZyK

I paid $11 for 100 pairs earlier in the year. 32 NRR and corded. They're great.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Get like 10 different boxes, different colors and styles, and leave them everywhere.

(this is what I do at work)

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Get a few different styles to see what fits your ears best. If they fit badly you won't want to wear them.

It took me awhile but I found one type that I can wear for 5-6 hours before they get annoying. Great for flights or sleeping in loud places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the 3m classic yellow earplugs that have a rougher foam texture cause they’re more comfortable for me and seem to stay in better than the smoother softer style.