Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Considering Stella Vegapunk doesn't recognize the intruder, that pretty much rules out any of the Vegapunk satellites as being the traitor.

Also, given the weaponry and angle of the shot, I'm guessing the infiltrator is actually Van Augur or one of the Blackbeard Pirates here to make a surprise appearance. They're whole shtick is maximizing their Devil Fruit advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah same, I've avoided a rewatch since I remember Nia's whole fate made me mad enough to teleport to Japan to punch the writer in the jaw so I'm hesitant.

It was sad, but I felt it fit. Though Simon definitely could have just bent reality over his knee one more time. I always felt like Yoko was the one who got the real short end of the stick. Probably because she was there the whole series while Nia was mostly there just long enough to start the true war.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That panel of Shaka getting shot in the head feels so viscerally violent for One Piece, holy poo poo.
But hey, at least they have plenty of spare brain tissue lying around.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Who was the fourth emperor that Shanks knocked off for the place, if anyone?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Considering Stella Vegapunk doesn't recognize the intruder, that pretty much rules out any of the Vegapunk satellites as being the traitor.

Also, given the weaponry and angle of the shot, I'm guessing the infiltrator is actually Van Augur or one of the Blackbeard Pirates here to make a surprise appearance. They're whole shtick is maximizing their Devil Fruit advantage.

That's a good point. The Stella asking "who's that" might just be him pointing out that someone is lurking in the shadows, but it might mean there's actually someone else involved. It if is an outsider or a new character I would bet that whoever it is is still working with a traitor Vegapunk though. There's too much that happened that requires operations knowledge and authority in Egghead.

Or it could be Pythagoras's headless body.

We know the traitor is someone who is opposing the government in some way- they used the island defenses to imprisoned CP agents- and also has the authority to order around the seraphim. The first bit rules out Saturn or the other Gorosei, and the seraphim orders rule out anyone below Vegapunk. There has to be a Vegapunk doing nefarious stuff.

But there could still be multiple things happening at once.

Edit: Wait a minute! Atlas is suspicious at this point! The frontier dome went down as soon as she was brought up when she was "getting her face replaced" she was totally unaccounted for at that time. And now, once again, she's the only one unaccounted for!

She also got a lot more panel time than the others, with Luffy meeting and befriending her personally. She also likes destroying things a lot. And she probably wants to get back at CP0 for loving with her. No idea why she's having the Seraphim take out everyone else, but... she's the one with the best opportunity to be responsible for all this.

Okay, my guess is now officially changed to Atlas. I never would have suspected her, but I can't see anyone else being responsible for all this.

Except Pythagoras's headless body.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 10, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Who was the fourth emperor that Shanks knocked off for the place, if anyone?

Shanks was an Emperor by the time the concept was introduced, and we don't know anything about any Emperors before Shanks/Whitebeard/Kaido/Mom

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Atlas is too huge to be sneaking around. She’s Big Mom sized

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

Shanks was an Emperor by the time the concept was introduced, and we don't know anything about any Emperors before Shanks/Whitebeard/Kaido/Mom

Actually that makes me curious, did the "Emperors" exist before Roger? My (fuzzy) understanding of the timeline is:

• Rocks is the most powerful pirate in the sea and a force that even the World Government struggles with.
  • Roger and Garp team up to take down Rocks, meaning Whitebeard, Kaido and Big Mom are without a captain and go their separate ways.
  • Roger becomes the first person to reach the true "end" of the Grand Line, making him the King of the Pirates, a distinction that even Rocks never earned.
  • Roger allows himself to be executed, kicking off a new era of piracy from people hoping to find his treasure, particularly the "One Piece".
  • At some point between Rocks being defeated and post-Roger's execution, Whitebeard, Kaido and Big Mom at least have carved out enough power and territory and are recognized as Emperors of the Sea.

So was Roger an Emperor before becoming King of the Pirates? He and Whitebeard at least were considered roughly equals before the latter. Shanks was still a kid and Reyleigh basically quietly retired after Roger's death. I suppose it's possible there were only 3 Emperors until Shanks reached a point that he could stand toe-to-toe with the others, in kind of the same way Luffy was briefly considered the "Fifth Emperor"? Maybe Rocks was the first and singular "Emperor" until Roger took him out?

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
I had always been under the impression that the Emperors exist as a power structure that replaced Roger's presence as King when he died, and that prior to Roger there was no real structure to piracy. No king, no major powers beyond some pirate factions rising up among others. I don't know if the manga actually supports this though, it was just my impression.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That does make a lot of sense, yeah.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

One thing to keep in mind is that "emperor" is not the original term. It's "Yonkou" which is literally "4emperor". There being four of them is part of the title. "Emperor" is only used by the translators because there's no cool way to say 4emperor in English.

It doesn't seem like there should be a reason there have to be four, considering they're just powerful pirates, not official positions, but talking about anything but a 4emperor would not be recognizably talking about the same category of person. :bignews: kind of made a joke about Luffy being the Gokou (5emperor) at one point but it didn't really stick.

It's interesting that Shanks is the odd one out of the original Emperors who isn't a former member of Rocks, but I would guess that the term was coined after he was powerful enough to rival them and there just happened to be four on that level at that time. Just a guess.

I would have assumed it was just a media term, but Morgans wasn't able to change it, and Lucci's standing orders affected how he interacted with Luffy based purely on this new title, so it seems to be an official government designation for some reason, even though that doesn't entirely make sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The reason there's four is the reason there's always four in anime, it's the Heavenly Kings

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
good chap, the questions are only piling up further

my nonsense theory:
it's vegapunk/stella from the past/future

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Libra posted:

That panel of Shaka getting shot in the head feels so viscerally violent for One Piece, holy poo poo.
But hey, at least they have plenty of spare brain tissue lying around.

Yeah, I think since we are in the One Piece endgame now, all bets are off. Anyone can die, people can get graphically maimed on-screen, etc. Some real Game of Thrones poo poo incoming.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my money is on pandaman

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It was Rocks, Shiki and Roger as the big crews back then

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
oh this is embarrassing, turns out there was one more page TCB didn't get so they had to update the chapter. Here's the real final page of the chapter

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Really sloppy of them to miss such a key page

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kild posted:

It was Rocks, Shiki and Roger as the big crews back then

Shiki was a part of Rocks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Libra posted:

the same thing happens in the very first chapter of the manga

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Eiba posted:

Edit: Wait a minute! Atlas is suspicious at this point! The frontier dome went down as soon as she was brought up when she was "getting her face replaced" she was totally unaccounted for at that time. And now, once again, she's the only one unaccounted for!

She also got a lot more panel time than the others, with Luffy meeting and befriending her personally. She also likes destroying things a lot. And she probably wants to get back at CP0 for loving with her. No idea why she's having the Seraphim take out everyone else, but... she's the one with the best opportunity to be responsible for all this.

Okay, my guess is now officially changed to Atlas. I never would have suspected her, but I can't see anyone else being responsible for all this.

Except Pythagoras's headless body.

Atlas explicitly talking about how easy it is to replace her parts immediately put her high on the list for me; also the vegapunk with the least actually going on wrt the whole emergency situation (aside from york)

That said, whoever it is has been kidnapping cipher pol agents for months so just getting their face blown off can't be the sole reason

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
according to the ace novels (which weren't written by oda but i'd assume details like this were at least approved as to not wildly contradict canon), roger/big mom/shiki/whitebeard were the most powerful pirates during roger's peak, then kaidou became known as one of the most powerful pirates around the time roger was executed and shiki was captured.

obviously that leaves room for someone to have been considered an emperor after roger's death but before shanks became one more recently, but i doubt we'll ever hear much about them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MorningMoon posted:

oh this is embarrassing, turns out there was one more page TCB didn't get so they had to update the chapter. Here's the real final page of the chapter

You joke but showing up out of nowhere and ganking a dude is exactly the kind of thing Don Krieg, the king of the pirates would do.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lol

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I don't want to live in a world without Bisoromi Bear-sama

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hatty posted:

Atlas is too huge to be sneaking around. She’s Big Mom sized

If Lucky Roux can get the drop on a guy then anyone can

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm inclined to limit suspects to people who'd fire a regular sized gun based on the scene, but nothing actually prevents it being Atlas with the worlds smallest derringer either because it's One Piece.

Comedy answer is it's Stussy somehow, because she was already a crime boss, but actually a government assassin, but actually a secret Vegapunk asset. Whats one more layer?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

Atlas explicitly talking about how easy it is to replace her parts immediately put her high on the list for me; also the vegapunk with the least actually going on wrt the whole emergency situation (aside from york)

That said, whoever it is has been kidnapping cipher pol agents for months so just getting their face blown off can't be the sole reason

Thinking back to getting her face blown off- She was told not to engage with CP0 but she went right after them anyway. She's hot headed and aggressive enough to have captured all the previous CP agents on her own initiative.

The face swapping is also an interesting potential hint. It might be cool if she literally put on another face for her role as villain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Caidin posted:

I'm inclined to limit suspects to people who'd fire a regular sized gun based on the scene, but nothing actually prevents it being Atlas with the worlds smallest derringer either because it's One Piece.

Comedy answer is it's Stussy somehow, because she was already a crime boss, but actually a government assassin, but actually a secret Vegapunk asset. Whats one more layer?

I am going to implode if the impostor is actually S(t)uss

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
But that wouldn't explain who's been leaking Vegapunk's research to the WG.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It's the Blackbeard Pirates. Devon is like the only person who could imitate an Elder or Vegapunk to give those orders. The shooter was Van Augur, which is why his footsteps at the end of the chapter have a weird sound effect - he wears tap shoes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HerraS posted:

Shiki was a part of Rocks

Oh drat, I missed that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tolth posted:

It's the Blackbeard Pirates. Devon is like the only person who could imitate an Elder or Vegapunk to give those orders. The shooter was Van Augur, which is why his footsteps at the end of the chapter have a weird sound effect - he wears tap shoes.

Lafitte is the one that wears tap shoes. Plus... Eh, it'd be kinda weird for at least the latter, who happens to have been last seen at the fight with the Heart Pirates in a different stretch of ocean to suddenly factor into a long term complicated infiltration and sabotage of Vegapunks digs.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The fact that all these CP-0 agents have been imprisoned for months kind of implies that the infiltrator has to have been someone who's been on the island for that period of time and can control who is going where doesn't it? I think it's either a Doflamingo seraphim who is acting out on his own initiative and has figured out a way to break free of Vegapunk's influence, or it's the Pythagoras body scenario that people have speculated on before.. The blackbeard pirates don't make any sense to me in this context unless they are working with the turncoat Vegapunk I guess.

**And I mean, the more I think about it the concept of an evil Doflamingo clone is something I don't care for since why should the clone have the same personality and beliefs as it's original? The clone doesn't have the same history as Doflamingo nor was it effectively raised to be evil by Trebol so why can't the Doflamingo seraphim be a really sweet guy? :( I'm pulling for a Vegapunk traitor being the villain here

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 10, 2023

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Caidin posted:

Lafitte is the one that wears tap shoes. Plus... Eh, it'd be kinda weird for at least the latter, who happens to have been last seen at the fight with the Heart Pirates in a different stretch of ocean to suddenly factor into a long term complicated infiltration and sabotage of Vegapunks digs.

Van Augur does have the warp fruit, though. Depending on its limits and capabilities, it might be possible for him and Devon could get over to Egghead in time to give orders to the Seraphim.

Someone HAS to have been on Egghead for a while in order to kidnap the CP agents. In addition to Lafitte, Shiryu, Avalo Pizarro, and Kuzan have been MIA from recent events showcasing the Blackbeard Pirates (Kuzan helped Van Auger kidnap Pudding but I think that was a while ago, in-narrative). And Sanjuan Wolf but he seems unlikely due to his size.

Shiryu can become invisible. Lafitte & Pizarro both used guns to kill Whitebeard. Bit of a stretch maybe, but Kuzan might have been the one leaking info to the Marines. There's also a 10th Titanic Captain that we've yet to see. After seeing the power of the Seraphim firsthand at Amazon Lilly, maybe Blackbeard sent some of his crew to Egghead to infiltrate the place and find out their weaknesses?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Starsfan posted:

**And I mean, the more I think about it the concept of an evil Doflamingo clone is something I don't care for since why should the clone have the same personality and beliefs as it's original? The clone doesn't have the same history as Doflamingo nor was it effectively raised to be evil by Trebol so why can't the Doflamingo seraphim be a really sweet guy? :( I'm pulling for a Vegapunk traitor being the villain here

We actually have sort of an answer to this which is lineage factor. Boa’s clone acts like her. The other 3 are cool cucumbers all the time so it’s hard to tell with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eiba posted:

Thinking back to getting her face blown off- She was told not to engage with CP0 but she went right after them anyway. She's hot headed and aggressive enough to have captured all the previous CP agents on her own initiative.

The face swapping is also an interesting potential hint. It might be cool if she literally put on another face for her role as villain.

This theory would be funny to me if it were true, since one of the first things Atlas says is that she's gonna go around the island and wreck poo poo.

I just like the idea of her openly declaring to everyone that she's been causing trouble and plotting everyone's downfall and everyone's just been ignoring it