Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Constantly surprised by Cold Steels ability make every episode look worse than the last, also I've realised that it's really not paced for 12/13 episodes in which case lol

Being perhaps poorly paced is simply part of Trails charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

you need no excuse when you have no games to play on it

I turn it on all the time

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It is the console I’m playing okami on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Currently playing Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on PS5 and Trails to Azure on Switch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waiting for the other shoe to drop in Buddy Daddies is going to kill me.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I will not be turning on the ps5 until Final Fantasy XVI releases.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly I'll probably just wait for the PS6 at this point. I didn't need the ps3, and I don't need the ps5.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I've done probably 95% of my gaming on PC or Nintendo hardware for close to 20 years now because I've felt like that gets me the vast majority of the games I care about and I enjoy having and building a nice PC. The fact that more and more stuff, including console exclusives, come out on PC now what with Game Pass, Sony porting exclusives, the Switch getting a ton of indie support, etc has only solidified my feelings on this. I used to be more into sports games so I did buy into the 360/PS3 generation, but never felt the need to get an XBone/PS4.

I got a PS5 because I kind of wanted to play Gran Turismo 7 and had cash to burn, but it's currently collecting dust. If FF16 is good I might look into that.

The third thing on my list of reasons to dust off the Playstation was 13 Sentinels and I just found out it got a Switch port, so, yeah.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The PS3 was pretty spectacular upon release. Blu-ray movies, full backwards compatibility for the previous two generations, and Linux booting were why I picked it up on day one (didn't hurt that it came with free movies). I actually got into ps2 gaming because of my ps3

For all the other consoles I have (besides the nintendo ds, 3ds, and switch), I didn't pick them up until the end of that console's lifetime. I got the xbox one when it was $150 and it's still my current console (alongside the switch). I probably won't bother with any current generation consoles except the switch until the next generation stuff comes out and there's a fire sale.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Nintendo DeXbox gamer, reporting in.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

It is the console I’m playing okami on

how far r u

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like gaming on the TV (except FF14) as I work on a computer all day so I do make use of the PS5 for multi platform games since they usually run better there than on the switch (except the recent Trails game remaster cause Falcom was lazy). And it'll be the system I'll play Ryza 3 on but in terms of exclusives and 1st part games man the PS5 sure is the most dire of the Playstation consoles. Even the early PS3 stuff felt more diverse than what the PS5 has gotten

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Being perhaps poorly paced is simply part of Trails charm
a true Trails series would have one 2-minute scene that advances the plot, and then the next 23 minutes are spent traveling around the world talking to every random person to see what they have to say about it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GateOfD posted:

the worst is the fanfiction
that's also an isekai

like the ones where they isekai into Marvel or Naruto or One Piece, and its just about the worst bits of everything together with the most wrong characterizations ever. (like spider-man killing an entire gang ruthlessly)

Hey Yamcha Isekai loving ruled.

GateOfD posted:

lol great Danmachi this week
Ryuu definitely flying to the top of the popularity charts after this season. After all the battle and tension, now its time for all the cute Ryuu blushing deredere moments.

Especially since previously for the last 3 seasons, she barely really talked with Bell much.
Was thinking of what Freya would think seeing them hundled together like that. But remembered that the gods can't spy into the dungeon like that. The one time she did in s1 was her cheating and being sneaky.

Then back to that drat crazy thing again. Bell is really taking a beating goddamn and achieving a lot of feats. Like even though he JUST got to lv4, I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped to lv5 right away after this.

It's been on just a loving great run since this second part of the season started.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ibblebibble posted:

Waiting for the other shoe to drop in Buddy Daddies is going to kill me.

We'll always have the Gold Medal moment

Also I feel like Kazuki should really be in better shape if he's going to continue being an assassin, getting exhausted from a preschool kids race seems bad

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On the flip side not much out there has the same infinite source of energy little kids seems to have

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

how far r u

Agata forest which I realise isn’t very far but I’ve been enjoying just going round finding animals to feed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
In good news the final episode of Isekai Ojisan finally came out, with english subs online if you go looking for them.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Julias posted:

In good news the final episode of Isekai Ojisan finally came out, with english subs online if you go looking for them.

wait, it's only half done on netflix still?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

Agata forest which I realise isn’t very far but I’ve been enjoying just going round finding animals to feed.

:hai: im a bit further along but wont be able to play much til monday

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sleng Teng posted:

wait, it's only half done on netflix still?

Yeah, that's where the break was when it went on it's first long hiatus in the middle of summer season. I guess Netflix just decided to wait until the rest of the show was out to put up the rest of it. Otherwise the funnier option is that despite having helped fund the production of it they just completely forgot about the show and left it abandoned.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve been really enjoying Nagatoro. It’s now also setting up a great comedy of errors for next episode. I know people weren’t high on it to begin with because of the studio change but I think they’ve done a decent job and seeing these goofballs actually realize they like each other has been great.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Black Stones posted:

I’ve been really enjoying Nagatoro. It’s now also setting up a great comedy of errors for next episode. I know people weren’t high on it to begin with because of the studio change but I think they’ve done a decent job and seeing these goofballs actually realize they like each other has been great.

yeah i thought the studio change was a step down at first but the writing has been much stronger recently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The President's cousin gets a little ehhhhhhh at time, but the arcs here on give Nagatoro and Senpai a lot of development.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I usually am fine with fan-service but the president just always feels way out of place. So the cousin kind being president-lite I can deal with. She’s also got the crazy eyes which gets me laughing every time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the exhibitionist president sucks but her cousin is great and a good wingwoman and audience stand-in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With how dragged out anime and manga romcoms are it feels like every author is an edging addict. Or a sadist who likes leading readers by the nose.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There is an sbolutely bonkers --spoiler for future plot
team-up vs arc with President/Bunny Kohei and The Friends that redeems everyone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I get preferring something that wraps up without drawing things out too much from a reader perspective, but knowing how hard it can be to make something that people respond to I get authors wanting to secure their bag for as long as possible.

Like, obviously that doesn't make the story itself better, but I can respect it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

With how dragged out anime and manga romcoms are it feels like every author is an edging addict. Or a sadist who likes leading readers by the nose.

when uzaki got to the point where (manga spoilers) the male lead passes out whenever he does something romantic after they start dating and he has to build a tolerance or whatever I was like come the gently caress on lol.

i enjoy some glacial anime romcoms but that broke me for some reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On the other hand the chapter 93 payoff of the dumb passing out gimmick in uzaki is extremely good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Captain Invictus posted:

On the other hand the chapter 93 payoff of the dumb passing out gimmick in uzaki is extremely good

I think part of my enjoyment of Uzaki is that the lead is kind of a himbo rather than just a total dork self-insert. He's jacked and hot! That's cool! This undermines that in a way that kind of irritated me.

As a tall person who has dated short people though I did think planning out the staircase was pretty funny.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I feel the Uzaki-San wants to hang out just beats out Nagatoro in most aspects (other than the eechi stuff)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Teasing Master Takagi is the worst, she’s too OP and “wins” too often

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Uzaki also stars adults instead of teens which makes the softcore elements more palatable.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Uzaki also stars adults instead of teens which makes the softcore elements more palatable.

yeah, coming into this season of nagatoro i wanted less creepy sadomasochistic "comedy" bits and more character development (particularly, for naoto to take control of some of his own growth) and it did a pretty good job on delivering that, particularly as the season went on.

uzaki can be funnier, though. the fuckin surreal choco-mint bit is incredible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Takagi is pretty emotionally realistic from like 5th grade through 7th or whatever. Guys are just playing catchup and no one knows what the gently caress. The friend trio is especially good at showing how peers can be at wildly different social/emotional development points.

Uzaki has the benefit of everyone rooting for these hot dumbasses to realize they're pretty perfect for each other and laugh at them being neurotic. It's pretty much a decent RomCom after all the jokes about tiddies and 6 pack abs.

Nagatoro's early 5 or so chapters are really intensely mean and offputting. It mellows out nicely so that you realize Nagatoro is just ridiculously emotionally defensive and crouches her admiration in teasing, which eventually does push Senpai to open up and think of himself differently. And way, way down the line he ends up pushing Nagatoro as well. So it ends up being kind of sweet.

Ah man, this week's MHA was actually pretty touching. This season keeps being a welcome surprise for that show.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I honest to god thought the first episode of Nagatoro where she bullies him so much that he cries was the best.

Like there are a thousand romcoms that do the slow burn character development romance better, even this season the Angel Next Door is just miles better at that, but there are so loving few that have an angle that weird as a start.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
First episode of Nagatoro bullying by was too harsh, like it was like real bullying. Would have dropped it if I had not already been reading the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the concept of “two people who are clearly both in love with each other and spend all of their time together but never work up the courage/self-actualization/articulation to actually date” is of course a precarious one to hang at the center of a long-running series. progress is both required (to move things along/develop characters/stave off frustration or impatience) but also is by no means allowed (since it will unravel the central conceit if allowed to progress too far). status quo must be restored, undermined by some new misunderstanding or accident, or, at least, this new understanding must be tacit but never foregrounded.

the actual moment of consummation (or, the demure shonen/shoujo equivalent, the confession) is therefore treated as forbidden, an unavoidable excess, yet also the articulated object of desire for both the readers and the characters. this jouissance, or surplus enjoyment, "overruns" "the principle of the least tension, of the minimum tension that needs to be maintained for life to subsist." (seminar xvii). this is why so many "will they/won't they" romances destroy themselves once they resolve this tension (the tv show "moonlighting" is the stereotypical example here). yet the "holding pattern" is likewise an intolerable, unsustainable force, especially as the series drags on over the course of years.

there are several solutions to this dilemma, employed with various degrees of success. for instance, one can hope that there are enough other characters to cushion the blow of the loss of the central characters and their pairing as a narrative force (either with or without resolution, or hope of resolution, of the central pairing: kaguya and nozaki-kun i view as examples of these options, respectively), or one can introduce new potential love interests that the characters are permitted (or forced) to choose between, or simply end the series at the confession with perhaps a brief epilogue, etc. etc.

takagi-san provides an interesting solution in that the creator made a spin-off series in which the central pair are married and with a child. this (temporarily, at least) sidesteps the issue that the "satisfying" culmination of desire is both not permitted and fatal to depict: we are assured that it happened at some point in the future of the series (so there's no need to complain about a "lack of progress") but we are (as far as i know) not witness to it: it can therefore have whatever qualities the reader wishes to ascribe to it, without the burden of being realized or realizable.

but i'd argue the most successful resolution of this style of plot (and the most straightforward line to the notion of the objet petit a) is don quixote: his beloved dulcinea does not (strictly speaking) exist, except as a delusional projection onto another. even if she did exist, the strictures of courtly love would make any consummation or resolution of any sort impossible: per capellanus, "when made public, love rarely endures". quixote is therefore motivated by this love to drive forward and progress, but the notion of a romantic resolution is an impossibility, and so the reader has no expectations or dissatisfaction.

i therefore argue that the ideal form of the "girl teases/bothers her oblivious crush because they are both in love but don't know how to express it" plot would be one where the teaser does not literally exist, or exists only in the symbolic order. a nagatoro where it is a fisherman constantly chastised by the mercurial sea, say, or a shut-in drawn out by the needling, uzaki-like demands of a proletarian revolution.