Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don’t we see her grave at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think so, the end of the movie is Shanks's ship and the Thousand Sunny sailing away from each other.

To me it seemed pretty clear that she was dead though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, most likely, but I still feel like they left enough rope there that they could go "actually no" just in case.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No one dies in one piece

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I really feel like she (Film Red) probably survived. The movie gives all the emotional weight to the death in the moment, as Oda often does, but if she's actually dead that's too sad for no reason. I don't think there's any real chance of her showing up again, so I feel the ambiguity is to make us sad without making Oda too sad for having a character he clearly likes die.

Honestly, my biggest issue with Film Red is how badly Uta had to be "punished" by the narrative for her ideals. She wanted to make a hosed up world a better place. Yeah, her plan was crazy, but Luffy's plan is also (apparently) crazy. There's a lot of parallels between Uta and Luffy. Can you imagine a narrative where Luffy is going too far and needs to reign it in and be reasonable? What kind of story is that for One Piece?

To be cynical about it, it's a story for women in the world of One Piece. It seemed kind of meaningful that the female Luffy who uses singing instead of punching was portrayed as being crazy and extreme.

But perhaps I've become overly sensitive to this kinda stuff after Dressrossa.

I actually liked the movie quite a bit overall, but if she had to actually die to make up for trying to improve the world in the wrong way, that would be a really unsatisfying story to me.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Thematically she should be dead but unfortunately she's far too marketable for my cynical rear end to believe it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has anyone died off screen in One Piece? Every actual death, either in flashback or current event, has been extremely "yeah, that dude's dead". You either die in an explosion to prevent your son from killing you via tea poison, or you live to have a cover story where you visit your own grave. I think the closest person to having an off screen death stick was Ace's mom, but she's also firmly in the declaratory "Oh, they're super dead" column with everyone other than Saul we met in Robin's flashback.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Absalom

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
this is them having left with Uta

I think it's intention is pretty clear, however it's absolutely because that death has the most impact in that moment, and Oda loves having his cake and eating it too.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, most likely, but I still feel like they left enough rope there that they could go "actually no" just in case.

Ryaomon posted:

Thematically she should be dead but unfortunately she's far too marketable for my cynical rear end to believe it.

I think she'll stay dead but I can't disagree with these posts. Blu Ray and OST CD sales might reach the tipping point where actually she's alive and marries Luffy and you can buy their wedding cake at a Toei cafe for one billion yen

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For what it is worth, Uta is in a similar situation to Shiki as far as canon. The character exists, the movie events did not happen.

Remember she had a bunch of panels in the manga about how she wrote her music.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Given the character's deserved popularity and the current trajectory of the story, I wouldn't be surprised if she appears in a more canonical capacity sooner rather than later.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean we are currently in a chapter where (spoilers for late readers I guess) Shaka just received extra ventilation to his brain and quite a number of readers don't think he's actually dead yet.

So I say all bets are off on Uta until further notice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how much involvement did Oda personally have in Film Red?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

For what it is worth, Uta is in a similar situation to Shiki as far as canon. The character exists, the movie events did not happen.

Remember she had a bunch of panels in the manga about how she wrote her music.
Those were isolated panels that Oda drew for a promotion. Oda drew a lot of things for a promotion. Sengoku actually mentions Shiki by name during Impel Down in the course of the story. So it's a bit different.

I'm not worried about canon myself one way or another- it's probably not going to affect or inform the ongoing plot of the manga, but since Oda wrote it it's true enough to the characterization of the people involved and the world. I'm fine with that. No reason to get too concerned about how "real" it is.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He animated it himself between chapter 999 and 1000

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

I forget, how much involvement did Oda personally have in Film Red?

Oda is the executive producer, character designer, and also script reviewer of the film. The script for the film was developed by Oda, Gorō Taniguchi (the director), and Tsutomu Kuroiwa (the screenwriter)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Upsidads posted:

He animated it himself between chapter 999 and 1000

Assistant: Can your body take this stress?
Oda: It's fine, I'll just smoke even MORE cigarettes!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Julias posted:

Oda is the executive producer, character designer, and also script reviewer of the film. The script for the film was developed by Oda, Gorō Taniguchi (the director), and Tsutomu Kuroiwa (the screenwriter)

I think this is about as much involvement as he's had in each movie after Strong World.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Uta made a single panel appearance in the story when Shanks dropped by Wano so the character is def canon

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bleck posted:

Given the character's deserved popularity and the current trajectory of the story, I wouldn't be surprised if she appears in a more canonical capacity sooner rather than later.

The epilogue of One Piece will have Brooke and Uta doing a world tour with Laboon, the singing whale.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i just realized that weevil always has to ask for and receive specific clearance from bukkin before he can really do anything, which seems to point to him being a whitebeard clone after all and not a purely biological child and he works like the seraphim do with permissions

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I think weevil has whitebeards will somehow

I also think s-bear or whatever has Kuma's will

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sounds like One Piece needs better lawyers if kids are just running around with their dead dads' wills

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDujar7lyA

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Isnt it kind of weird that the Stella vegapunk is still alive? If the traitor/villain here actually wanted to kill Vegapunk they could have already, but they're keeping him captive instead. Either their goal isn't to kill Vegapunk, or there's an unknown reason as to why they can't yet. This makes it hard for me to believe the idea that it's Imu or Saturn or someone working directly for the World Government

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe Punk Records has become sentient goIing full HAL and killing the Stella might cut off its information Flow or kill it entirely

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

i just realized that weevil always has to ask for and receive specific clearance from bukkin before he can really do anything, which seems to point to him being a whitebeard clone after all and not a purely biological child and he works like the seraphim do with permissions

Would be funnier if he was just a huge mama's boy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

Isnt it kind of weird that the Stella vegapunk is still alive? If the traitor/villain here actually wanted to kill Vegapunk they could have already, but they're keeping him captive instead. Either their goal isn't to kill Vegapunk, or there's an unknown reason as to why they can't yet. This makes it hard for me to believe the idea that it's Imu or Saturn or someone working directly for the World Government

I mean, it's weird that several Cipher Pol squads are also alive in the makeshift jail. Which does lean towards evidence for some sort of AI rebellion that just can't get past some of the Vegapunk robotic laws.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
maybe it's some sort of misguided attempt to protect the main Vegapunk, as someone figured that hanging out with Luffy was the most dangerous thing they could do

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I said it before, but Punk Records would have a vested interest in keeping the Punks on the island since it requires them to hook up to it to get new info.

Of course I'd also say it would have a vested interest inkeeping the Punks alive but maybe it just wants the Stella.

(Also for 1/6th of the smartest guy in the world, not having somebody to watch your back while you wander off to the Super Secret Basement is kinda dumb)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vegapunk is a character with 20 INT but 7 CHA and WIS and the various replicas reflect this

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll admit, i don't have any idea who the traitor could be. it'd have to be someone we've seen before, or else the reveal would be weak and toothless. i suppose one of the satellites could have faked their incapacitation, except oda already did that one in water 7. it could be a deliberate callback, especially since lucci and kaku are here, but that doesn't seem like oda to me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'll throw my chips on Punk Records going rogue and creating its own satellites (or even its own Seraphim) to take out the cameras and bean Shaka through the dome.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Excelzior posted:

Vegapunk is a character with 20 INT but 7 CHA and WIS and the various replicas reflect this
They definitely have different distributions of WIS, DEX and STR though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are spoilers out already and there’s a big reveal so stay off Twitter if you care

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Posts like that just make me want to look at spoilers even more

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm sorry to report the spoiler of "No break next week."

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Biggest spoil in ONE PIECE HISTORY??