Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Prof actually uses swiftspear as an example when talking about rarity shifted cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

This sounds like a really dumb question but is there any kind of site where you can buy singles of sleeves? I found out I'm missing two sleeves from what I thought was a stack of 99 and I don't want to buy a pack of sleeves just to take two out to replace them, and getting a new 100 pack just feels like shunting the problem off to the side :eng99:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mix. posted:

This sounds like a really dumb question but is there any kind of site where you can buy singles of sleeves? I found out I'm missing two sleeves from what I thought was a stack of 99 and I don't want to buy a pack of sleeves just to take two out to replace them, and getting a new 100 pack just feels like shunting the problem off to the side :eng99:

No and also you shouldn't because the wear won't be even, sorry

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I usually get more than 100 in packs, so if you did buy a second and don't mind two decks with same sleeves, you might come out even.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Khanstant posted:

I usually get more than 100 in packs, so if you did buy a second and don't mind two decks with same sleeves, you might come out even.

This was my experience for a long time. Dragon Shield, got 2 extra sleeves almost every box. Then in the past year, I've had three Dragon Shield packs with 98 sleeves. Two bought at the same time, but different colors. The third was a few months later. It was a huge bummer, fortunately I had a couple extras from having bought the colors before.

Buying 100 sleeves and getting 98, when the most popular format of the most popular game is a 100-card deck, is not acceptable imo. I'm guessing you could contact customer support. You bought 100 sleeves and got 98. Itwouldn't hurt to try

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dragon Shield had a faulty machine and didn't fix it for a while. They didn't know/update customers until this month. They encourage you to contact them if you had fewer than 100 sleeves in a box

https://www.dragonshield.com/news-updates/quality-update/

I think you should try to have the box with the serial number on it so they can track the issue and hopefully make you whole

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

AngryBooch posted:

Dragon Shield had a faulty machine and didn't fix it for a while. They didn't know/update customers until this month. They encourage you to contact them if you had fewer than 100 sleeves in a box

I think you should try to have the box with the serial number on it so they can track the issue and hopefully make you whole

well poo poo i bought a whole bunch when they were on sale so i'd have extra sets to cycle through.. guess i'll have to open all of them now to be sure?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've ever had a box of Dragon Shields with fewer than 100 sleeves. I think maybe once I got exactly 100. I just sleeved up a new cEDH deck with a fresh box and I still have 6 remaining, so I had 104, considering I am using partner commanders and I typically sleeve them in different color sleeves to make finding them quicker.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

big cummers ONLY posted:

This was my experience for a long time. Dragon Shield, got 2 extra sleeves almost every box. Then in the past year, I've had three Dragon Shield packs with 98 sleeves. Two bought at the same time, but different colors. The third was a few months later. It was a huge bummer, fortunately I had a couple extras from having bought the colors before.

Buying 100 sleeves and getting 98, when the most popular format of the most popular game is a 100-card deck, is not acceptable imo. I'm guessing you could contact customer support. You bought 100 sleeves and got 98. Itwouldn't hurt to try

I did this with some Artemis sleeves from Quiver (297 in a box of 300) and they sent me another box.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I pitched the boxes because I had spares in the correct colors and didn't want what was probably going to be a headache. That sucks that they let us know, a long-rear end time later when you probably don't hoard packaging.

Serf
May 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know about the sleeve count, but one guy I play with bought two boxes of the dual mattes and both of them started splitting on him after being shuffled just once. It was bizarre because DS is usually the highest quality. A few other folks had problems too, all with dual mattes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
mattes suck anyway, clears for me all the way

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Serf posted:

I don't know about the sleeve count, but one guy I play with bought two boxes of the dual mattes and both of them started splitting on him after being shuffled just once. It was bizarre because DS is usually the highest quality. A few other folks had problems too, all with dual mattes.

I've had the dual mattes split super easily too, I am super careful with the decks that have them now. Same story here -- split after only a shuffle or two.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gandalf the purple

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The One Ring is neat. Good flavor for sure

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I like what they did with The One Ring. Making it an equipment was gonna be too clunky, this gives it a good "power but at a price" flavor.

Happy they did in fact make Gandalf (this iteration, anyway) red but otherwise that's pretty boring.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pretty funny that you can’t blow up the ring but you can turn it into an Elk.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
At least 3 Gandalfs

It's a modern legal set but nothing looks modern playable on the level of a Modern Horizons set, so hopefully that holds

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
the obligate full art lands are map styled:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wow I love those basics.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
holy gently caress the lands are great

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

At least 3 Gandalfs

It's a modern legal set but nothing looks modern playable on the level of a Modern Horizons set, so hopefully that holds

I wouldn’t mind if you’re right, but do remember that the first cards from Mh1 we saw were that Planeswalker I’ve literally never seen cast and the Canal Therapy meme guy.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

slaps deckbox this baby can hold so many Gandalfs

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I wish WotC would stop printing basics that are hard to tell apart from a distance. Waaaay too much green on most of these

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I clearly am not cut out to work for WotC because I don't think I could smooth my brain enough to lead my previews with 2 boring cards below Standard power level for a direct-to-Modern set.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Dang this set might be the first set to get me to actually pick up paper cards in..a decade?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I wish WotC would stop printing basics that are hard to tell apart from a distance. Waaaay too much green on most of these

At least they've got the bars coloured in this time, a large part of the Midnight Hunt/Crimson Vow basics problem is that it's just a background.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

What’s the appeal there? Those lands look like an intern cropped a map from a book club printing of LOTR as the set was going to press.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

I clearly am not cut out to work for WotC because I don't think I could smooth my brain enough to lead my previews with 2 boring cards below Standard power level for a direct-to-Modern set.

The one ring draws 3 cards by the time it resolves until your protection wears off. It will see play in Modern and Legacy at minimum.

Loucks posted:

What’s the appeal there? Those lands look like an intern cropped a map from a book club printing of LOTR as the set was going to press.

That is the appeal. I think it came out real good for Plans (not so much the others)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kashuno posted:

The One Ring is neat. Good flavor for sure

I don't like it because it should burden you as soon as you play it. The player should be tempted to draw the cards to offset the burden at the cost of more burden.

Not much of a burden if you can choose when it starts burdening you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

The one ring draws 3 cards by the time it resolves until your protection wears off. It will see play in Modern and Legacy at minimum.

That is the appeal. I think it came out real good for Plans (not so much the others)

The One Ring draws 1 card between when it resolves and when the protection wears off? It will not see play in Modern or Legacy at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kashuno posted:

The One Ring draws 1 card between when it resolves and when the protection wears off? It will not see play in Modern or Legacy at all.

Am I reading the card wrong? You tap it the turn it comes into play, add a counter. Draw card 1. You untap when your protection wears off, tap it again add a second counter draw cards 2 and 3?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Am I reading the card wrong? You tap it the turn it comes into play, add a counter. Draw card 1. You untap when your protection wears off, tap it again add a second counter draw cards 2 and 3?

I was thinking about the protection wearing off at the start and then untap happening but yeah I get what you mean I was being dumb :vv: Still don't think for 4 mana though it is gonna do anything

Loucks
May 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

That's fair. They look kinda samey to me, but I'm also really not the target market for this set since I'd far rather see original IP than more recycling of some old poo poo. There are clearly a lot of mtg players who want to slap down a Gandalf, so I'm in the minority.

Also I don't think that legendary artifact matches LotR's One Ring flavor-wise at all, but it is an interesting card and I'm sure the set works better if they don't try to be perfectly loyal to the original IP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why the triangular holo stamp?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Loucks posted:

I just am a big old LOTR nerd, that's really it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I just am a big old LOTR nerd, that's really it.

This is a pure and unimpeachable motivation tbh.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rinkles posted:

Marking it as universes Beyond. Not just this set but all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It’s how they signify if a card is from Universes Beyond or whatever, basically non-WotC IP. The Warhammer cards have it too I think.