Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even assuming it's complete horseshit, why is it at all notable as a statement? It's completely anodyne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
We are engaging on the level of lol cuz what you said was loving stupid

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
you're reading an awful lot into "holy poo poo the ps5 is stupid powerful and it's making it easy to develop for as opposed to having to work around a console's weird architecture"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, you wanna bring up bad Yoshi-P FFXVI statements, there've been a few of those. I wouldn't count that as one of them.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

bro i don't think anyone's offended, more just... confused?

like yeah it's obviously bullshit pr stuff. doesn't really change how i feel about the game at all

Neither me, it just reflects badly on them for not even being able to couch it much in plausibility. Since people insist on doing the stupid dogpile thing SA posters do a lot of the time though there's not much really else to say other than I learned a lot about this thread in the last dozen posts or so.

fridge corn posted:

We are engaging on the level of lol cuz what you said was loving stupid

Care to elaborate? Actually wait, don't loving worry about it too much

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 13, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kale posted:

Care to elaborate?

You posted weird poo poo about how you're concerned Yoshi-P crosspromoting a major investor in FFXVI is a sign that the game is going to suck or that Yoshida has sold out. Both of these are dumb as hell on their face; FFXVI will be successful in part from the massive funding Sony undoubtedly gave them for timed exclusivity, and Yoshida is a businessman, he has always been sold out.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

speaking of timed exclusives I can't wait to play final fantasy 7 rebirth exclusively on my playstation 5, the most powerful console, this winter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It sounds like weird console warrior garbage, for one. The statements you pulled out didn't even really talk about the PS5 vs. its direct competitors, they were more broadly going "this thing whips rear end at reading data, we'd have to make this game totally differently limited to a hard disk drive." They go into the read speeds a bit, but the things they're saying are largely true: you can do some wild poo poo with an SSD. Also, Yoshida is a producer, this is part of his job. PR speak is more often than not kind of bullshit.

Basically, who cares? This is a ridiculous thing to even point out as if it's a problem.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Vitamean posted:

speaking of timed exclusives I can't wait to play final fantasy 7 rebirth exclusively on my playstation 5, the most powerful console, this winter.

I'm excited for both reasons I've kept this piece of trash around to hit this year.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FFXVI looks cool and good, I might even buy a PS5 so I can play it but I also might wait for the PC release, I don't know

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a good theatrhythm team comp post or guide out there? I feel like my magic damage boss nuking team is pretty good but all my other teams are just sitting at ok

Most physical teams are Faris (dual wield first strike) and Noctis (boss killer) plus extras. Rikku is also fits in well with first strike and added cut for damage or her collecta card bonuses for farming. Materia also good to make your leader hit hard or Sarah if ailments are a problem. Throw in some bravery or mystic aura scrolls and you got a stew cooking.

Rapid fire magic is also pretty good with Onion Knight (FMS only) or Ace lead and Aphmau + Lightning #2. Spiritus to make lead hit harder, Rinoa/Kefka for buffs, or Terra/Vivi for rapid fire double magic shenanigans.

Yuna is also a decent add in for some teams since she deletes wave 1. Then there are all sorts of mimic craziness you can get up to (mimic Bartz job master for stats or mimic spiritus and mystic aura to have Shantoto send a boss into stratosphere.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly I might buy a PS5 just because upgrading my PC seems like it's gonna be out of my price range for a good long while.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think the attempted point was 'square enix cant code if they needed sony's help to code final fantasy 16 and saying that is an admission that they can't code'

issues being
(a) they are lying because gamers lose their simple minds when they hear that business companies did a business transaction for business reasons
(b) what they actually can't do is marketing so now they get a bunch of effectively free marketing from sony, who can
(c) it is plainly true that if you develop software that relies on the new features of a single piece of hardware that it would take more time to then port that software to hardware which lacks those features

like sorry to be 'gbs' but the blurb is about why its not on last-gen hardware lol

Kale
May 14, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

You posted weird poo poo about how you're concerned Yoshi-P crosspromoting a major investor in FFXVI is a sign that the game is going to suck or that Yoshida has sold out. Both of these are dumb as hell on their face; FFXVI will be successful in part from the massive funding Sony undoubtedly gave them for timed exclusivity, and Yoshida is a businessman, he has always been sold out.

Where did I say anything like the game was going to suck because of this? Show me where I said this instead of you just completely making poo poo up and being dumb and weirdly hostile for me being critical of Yoshi-P and Suzuki's kind of dubious PR approach of late? Obviously I know what's going on and what the business relationship is and why they're saying this, it's still a massive and dumb exaggeration to do it this particular way and makes him look silly in the process...well more so Suzuki.

Also I tend to agree that FFXVI will be very successful in large part due to Sony's funding and support, they tend to know what they're doing with these things in the long run. Massive success though remains to be seen and I'm not sure what would constitute that. It'd have to at least be equivalent to FFXV's 10 million units though I would think.

Like gently caress people, it's not even as big a deal as you seem to think I'm making of it. Goons are loving weird with their rushes to dogpile sometimes and their single emoji replies and it's kind of tedious and tiresome ngl, but thanks for eventually engaging on at least some level. It's the very least that I could ever ask of anyone.

Arist posted:

It sounds like weird console warrior garbage, for one. The statements you pulled out didn't even really talk about the PS5 vs. its direct competitors, they were more broadly going "this thing whips rear end at reading data, we'd have to make this game totally differently limited to a hard disk drive." They go into the read speeds a bit, but the things they're saying are largely true: you can do some wild poo poo with an SSD. Also, Yoshida is a producer, this is part of his job. PR speak is more often than not kind of bullshit.

Basically, who cares? This is a ridiculous thing to even point out as if it's a problem.

In fact I don't give a real solitary gently caress about the Xbox Series X/S and loathe console wars bullshit, I'm fairly skeptical that it has a trash rear end SSD that couldn't do the same thing.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think the attempted point was 'square enix cant code if they needed sony's help to code final fantasy 16 and saying that is an admission that they can't code'

issues being
(a) they are lying because gamers lose their simple minds when they hear that business companies did a business transaction for business reasons
(b) what they actually can't do is marketing so now they get a bunch of effectively free marketing from sony, who can
(c) it is plainly true that if you develop software that relies on the new features of a single piece of hardware that it would take more time to then port that software to hardware which lacks those features

Frankly I tend to agree a lot with (b) of late based on raw critical acclaim, financial results and feedback/sentiment from gamers of late. Even if Sony's first party output is something I don't tend to gravitate too, you'll hear little argument from me that they are very good at marketing it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kale posted:

Where did I say anything like the game was going to suck because of this? Show me where I said this instead of you just completely making poo poo up and being dumb and weirdly hostile for me being critical of Yoshi-P and Suzuki's kind of dubious PR approach of late? Obviously I know what's going on and what the business relationship is and why they're saying this, it's still a massive and dumb exaggeration to do it this particular way and makes him look silly in the process...well more so Suzuki.

Also I tend to agree that FFXVI will be very successful in large part due to Sony's funding and support, they tend to know what they're doing with these things in the long run. Massive success though remains to be seen and I'm not sure what would constitute that. It'd have to at least be equivalent to FFXV's 10 million units though I would think.

Like gently caress people, it's not even as big a deal as you seem to think I'm making of it. Goons are loving weird with their rushes to dogpile sometimes and their single emoji replies and it's kind of tedious and tiresome ngl, but thanks for eventually engaging on at least some level. It's the very least that I could ever ask of anyone.

In fact I don't give a real solitary gently caress about the Xbox Series X/S and loathe console wars bullshit, I'm fairly skeptical that it has a trash rear end SSD that couldn't do the same thing.

Frankly I tend to agree a lot with (b) of late based on raw critical acclaim, financial results and feedback/sentiment from gamers of late. Even if Sony's first party output is something I don't tend to gravitate too, you'll hear little argument from me that they are very good at marketing it.

I have no idea why you've chosen to die on this hill or even why you brought this up in the first place and you've done a terrible job of explaining yourself, goodbye

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chillgamesh posted:

Honestly I might buy a PS5 just because upgrading my PC seems like it's gonna be out of my price range for a good long while.

I only play Warhammer 3 on mine at this point.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've listened to it probably over a hundred times and I still don't know if I like "Blinded By Light" from FFXIII or not

It's like... elevator music meets 90s adult contemporary meets anime

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lol at the last page.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's one of the few tracks I remember from XIII so I guess there's that.

Sunleth Waterscape and Gapra Whitewood being the others, and I only remember the last one because the game kept making me play it during the older Theathrythm games.

Oh and I guess March of the Dreadnoughts? Still very weird that that's the only minigame in XIII and you can't even replay it after you're done with it in story.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

issues being

like sorry to be 'gbs' but the blurb is about why its not on last-gen hardware lol

Wait did you think I'm complaining about it not being on PS4 or something? I doubt the PS4 can ever hope to run that game anyway without it having to be gutted ala some PS4 games going to Switch during the consoles heyday. Hell it's kind of struggled to run a lot of games effectively in the last few years of releases that I can't entirely explain why it would. It just doesn't and then you have an actually next gen looking title like PS5.....like no of course PS4 is out of the question.

Arist posted:

I have no idea why you've chosen to die on this hill or even why you brought this up in the first place and you've done a terrible job of explaining yourself, goodbye

Refusing to just get dogpiled and kowtow to some majority sentiment of people that clearly didn't even bother to understand what I was getting at to begin with, and where they instead focused on clapping back and trying to be witty, without at the very least trying to have my say and confirm what I was arguing about versus in fact not actually arguing about is dying on a loving hill. Got it bro. Indeed it's been a real slice. Like what's next you're going to tell me to "take the L" I imagine because a few people said I was dumb? :rolleyes:

It's hard to explain oneself to someone that isn't even trying to engage in a good faith conversation whether they agree or not, but at least some others eventually came along. :unsmith:

FrostyPox posted:

I've listened to it probably over a hundred times and I still don't know if I like "Blinded By Light" from FFXIII or not

It's like... elevator music meets 90s adult contemporary meets anime

It's Sunleth Waterscape to me that sounds like Elevator/Government Agency Hold/Dentist/Doctors Office music to me. I've grown to appreciate the FFXIII and Hamauzu era of soundtracks in recent years though which surprises me a fair bit. I'd say overall I kind of prefer him to Soken even of the people that seem to be vying to take over for Uematsu signing off as the franchises lead composer.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

lol at the last page.

Yep.....

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 13, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's one of the few tracks I remember from XIII so I guess there's that.

Sunleth Waterscape and Gapra Whitewood being the others, and I only remember the last one because the game kept making me play it during the older Theathrythm games.

Oh and I guess March of the Dreadnoughts? Still very weird that that's the only minigame in XIII and you can't even replay it after you're done with it in story.

I’ll say it: I’m not a huge fan of Masashi Hamauzu’s style. I recognize it’s technically quite good, but I can only take so many piano flourishes and staccato string sections.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Y'know, Rise of Skywalker might have been improved if, instead of coming back as the end of a robot arm, Palpatine came back as the Emperor of Hell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYDhjBgc78

This monologue but instead of ranting about nethicite it's about Sony and the PS5

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As someone who grew up in the 8-and-16-bit era, the sheer amount of salt people have about exclusives - even games that are just exclusive to a different storefront on PC - is hilarious to me.

Exclusives are how the console manufacturers differentiate among themselves. Back in the day, most games were exclusives.

Exclusives are generally the really good games, anyways.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think the instrumentation of the 13 music is all rad even if i dont know if i love any/many of the individual compositions. like you pretty much instantly know upon hearing any track that its from 13/the 13 series

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Keromaru5 posted:

Y'know, Rise of Skywalker might have been improved if, instead of coming back as the end of a robot arm, Palpatine came back as the Emperor of Hell.

Giant body horror Emperor that is a manifestation of the Dark Side of the Force and then the space battle at the end is a giant planet sided Hell Emperor versus the Resistance Fleet instead of just a gang of evil triangles

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I’ll say it: I’m not a huge fan of Masashi Hamauzu’s style. I recognize it’s technically quite good, but I can only take so many piano flourishes and staccato string sections.

His soundtrack for Saga Frontier 2 is some of his best work imo. I really didn't like the soundtrack for FFXIII (or much else about it) at the time but it has since grown on me a bit.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anyway I can't wait to play Final Fantays Sixteen on my SONY PlayStation 5 (five)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think the instrumentation of the 13 music is all rad even if i dont know if i love any/many of the individual compositions. like you pretty much instantly know upon hearing any track that its from 13/the 13 series

I love the FFXIII Crazy Violin.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

As someone who grew up in the 8-and-16-bit era, the sheer amount of salt people have about exclusives - even games that are just exclusive to a different storefront on PC - is hilarious to me.

Exclusives are how the console manufacturers differentiate among themselves. Back in the day, most games were exclusives.

Exclusives are generally the really good games, anyways.

Yeah the weird level of animus people have towards for example the Epic Games store in particular is just kind of bizarre to me, seemingly just because it's not Steam and no other specifically good reasons. Console port begging among the greater internet also tends to be tiresome at times too. Like hell that many people care that much if game x that has been out for two years specifically ends up on the Switch at some point enough to boycott it or something and that's coming for somebody that owns a Switch. It's definitely not cutting it with a lot of games anymore that in some cases ran better on 20 year old hardware. I really can't explain the Switch but it feels like it fell off harder and faster functionality wise than the average console. I deeply regret buying some games on it like Wonderful 101 instead of PS4 and PC not realizing how brutal the framerate would get at times for a game that requires a lot of finesse and precise timing to do well at and get a good score by the end of the stage. :sigh:

I don't know, console wars bullshit is just anathema to any good discussion on games and the domain and calling card of shitposters.

fridge corn posted:

Anyway I can't wait to play Final Fantays Sixteen on my SONY PlayStation 5 (five)

Indeed lacking a PS5 and having to get by only with a PS4, Switch, Modern Gaming PC and a PS3 that for some reason still sits there on my TV stand unplugged and lonely makes me feel diminished not only as a gamer, but frankly as a human being. I never realized it up until this exact point though. :smith:

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 13, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kale posted:

Holy gently caress man did I ever touch an unexpected nerve. Wow thread....like not even willing to engage with what's being said on any level, just gonna GBS post through it. I don't know, I still think it's a ridiculous set of quotes, sorry if anybody is deeply and weirdly offended by pointing that out. :shrug:

I'll engage with you. What yoshi-p is referring to is not just the SSD but the extremely fast decompression coprocessor that the PS5 has. Since the game assets are highly compressed they can pack more detail in the same amount of disk space. And then the coprocessor allows that to be decompressed into RAM fast enough that the game will never have to stop to load.

So he's basically saying, this technology is so good it's made his team able to do even better than they would otherwise. It's not really an insult to his staff imo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYDhjBgc78

This monologue but instead of ranting about nethicite it's about Sony and the PS5

gently caress I love FFXII

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just tell me what to buy, SE. Do you have a FF16-branded playstation? Or a FF16 bundle? Does it have a red mage hat?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FrostyPox posted:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FrostyPox posted:

Kale
May 14, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I'll engage with you. What yoshi-p is referring to is not just the SSD but the extremely fast decompression coprocessor that the PS5 has. Since the game assets are highly compressed they can pack more detail in the same amount of disk space. And then the coprocessor allows that to be decompressed into RAM fast enough that the game will never have to stop to load.

So he's basically saying, this technology is so good it's made his team able to do even better than they would otherwise. It's not really an insult to his staff imo.

That kind of clarifies it a bit and brings it in line with what I would consider more plausible PR territory. Like maybe it's a personal personal pet peeve, but something about feeling bullshitted and patronized tends to unsettle and irk me quite a bit, but if something proves to be on the level somehow that's a different story.

Just out of curiosity, would a 12th gen Octo-Core Processor by Intel with a base frequency of 2.5 GHZ and overclock limit of roughly 5Ghz that launched in Q2021 not meet this same burden of decompression speed to achieve the same result and this is specifically something that only the one that is in the PS5 could ever hope to achieve in order to run the game properly? If so I guess it really is never going to be possible to port it to Steam or Square Enix PC store, but again I'm sort of deeply skeptical this is the case much as it's apparent that the PS5 is a very powerfully built system.

e: Also thanks for you know...not doing what some other people felt the need to do. Much appreciated.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah isn't this the reason Yoshi-P is also saying "don't expect the PC port to be done when the exclusivity window is up, there's a lot of work to do still"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I figured that was a more contractually-obligated "PC? Please enjoy Final Fantasy XVI on a Sony(R) PlayStation(TM) 5 Console" thing, but that's entirely possible I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kale posted:

Yoshi-P's and Suzuki's PR about how not only could FFXVI not be possible without the totally insane power of the PS5's SSD (TM) and assorted hardware specifically, but would apparently still be in development, has the exact opposite effect I believe was intended and does NOT reflect good on them no matter how I look at it. First of all it just comes across as flagrant bullshit to pump a business partner in Sony's tires to impractical degrees for no real benefit to their own teams efforts, it also kind of makes them look incompetent when you think about it. It's like you're telling me, a guy who was pleasantly surprised by FFXVI's first in a generation (not console generation, generation of humanity as in the people that played the last game to have a normal development and release schedule in FFX-2 are more or less having kids now or have had kids for some time) normal game development and release cycle of around 4-5 years and kind of giving kudos to Yoshi-P's team for managing the seemingly impossible, that the only reason this even happened is not because of Square Enix and this specific dev team just getting their poo poo together, but because of Sony? I don't even know what to say to that or Square Enix PR efforts of late. Like what the gently caress are you guys doing and is it Sony's ever increasing influence over Square Enix or what?

The game still looks overall pretty good and encouraging in tech demos, but the PR for it has been terrible as ever for recent Square Enix for no good reason at all.

e:https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-has-to-be-ps5-generation-only

For context of what I'm talking about.

why can't we go a week without someone in this thread going insane