Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

That kind of clarifies it a bit and brings it in line with what I would consider more plausible PR territory. Like maybe it's a personal personal pet peeve, but something about feeling bullshitted and patronized tends to unsettle and irk me quite a bit, but if something proves to be on the level somehow that's a different story.

Just out of curiosity, would a 12th gen Octo-Core Processor by Intel with a base frequency of 2.5 GHZ and overclock limit of roughly 5Ghz that launched in Q2021 not meet this same burden of decompression speed to achieve the same result and this is specifically something that only the one that is in the PS5 could ever hope to achieve in order to run the game properly? If so I guess it really is never going to be possible to port it to Steam or Square Enix PC store, but again I'm sort of deeply skeptical this is the case much as it's apparent that the PS5 is a very powerfully built system.

e: Also thanks for you know...not doing what some other people felt the need to do. Much appreciated.

My dude how are you a fan of any Final Fantasy if PR speak about graphics bothers you this much. Hell how do you like *any* game? They all do that poo poo.

Like to be honest this reads more like you are angry FFXVI is exclusive and want to rant about that but 'this is only possible with the power of the PS5/XboxX/whatever' is like the most oft repeated marketing slogan during console feberations.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Augus posted:

why can't we go a week without someone in this thread going insane

Bud, do you know where you are right now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kale posted:

Yoshi-P's and Suzuki's PR about how not only could FFXVI not be possible without the totally insane power of the PS5's SSD (TM) and assorted hardware specifically, but would apparently still be in development, has the exact opposite effect I believe was intended and does NOT reflect good on them no matter how I look at it. First of all it just comes across as flagrant bullshit to pump a business partner in Sony's tires to impractical degrees for no real benefit to their own teams efforts, it also kind of makes them look incompetent when you think about it. It's like you're telling me, a guy who was pleasantly surprised by FFXVI's first in a generation (not console generation, generation of humanity as in the people that played the last game to have a normal development and release schedule in FFX-2 are more or less having kids now or have had kids for some time) normal game development and release cycle of around 4-5 years and kind of giving kudos to Yoshi-P's team for managing the seemingly impossible, that the only reason this even happened is not because of Square Enix and this specific dev team just getting their poo poo together, but because of Sony? I don't even know what to say to that or Square Enix PR efforts of late. Like what the gently caress are you guys doing and is it Sony's ever increasing influence over Square Enix or what?

The game still looks overall pretty good and encouraging in tech demos, but the PR for it has been terrible as ever for recent Square Enix for no good reason at all.

e:https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-has-to-be-ps5-generation-only

For context of what I'm talking about.

So you have Just never read a press release then huh.

I think seeing Konami tallking about the power of the cell processor wrt mgs 4 could kill you if this drives you to post like this.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Augus posted:

why can't we go a week without someone in this thread going insane

I honestly wasn't aware there was a history of people going "insane" in the thread, but if there is that certainly explains a lot about why people were so hostile about me rolling my eyes at a dubious PR quote and originally planning to leave it largely at that.

ImpAtom posted:

My dude how are you a fan of any Final Fantasy if PR speak about graphics bothers you this much. Hell how do you like *any* game? They all do that poo poo.

This one felt like a bit of a stretch even for that type of PR basically what can I say, but that's kind of been par for the course for a lot of Square Enix PR in recent years. Granted the more I respond to these sorts of posts the more some people can kind of say stuff like "keep digging that hole" and "you're still on about this bro" so kind of being well aware of how that'll go it's bet to cut it all off here.

jokes posted:

Bud, do you know where you are right now

The shitposting thread?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A better joke for XII would have just been Star Wars.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kale posted:

The shitposting thread?

Thread? Honey bear....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

I honestly wasn't aware there was a history of people going "insane" in the thread, but if there is that certainly explains a lot about why people were so hostile about me rolling my eyes at a dubious PR quote and originally planning to leave it largely at that.

This one felt like a bit of a stretch even for that type of PR basically what can I say, but that's kind of been par for the course for a lot of Square Enix PR in recent years. Granted the more I respond to these sorts of posts the more some people can kind of say stuff like "keep digging that hole" and "you're still on about this bro" so kind of being well aware of how that'll go it's bet to cut it all off here.

The shitposting thread?

It really isn't. This kind of poo poo is super common. You should have seen the marketing for FF13's super amazing engine that was fantastical or how FF7 was impossible on anything but PS1. This is literally what every company hyping their new shiny poo poo does.

Like genuinely this reads like you having a grudge against SE and FFXVI being an exclusive and are looking for a reason to be angry over entirely innocuous stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Devs love to talk about the "power of the new generation of consoles!" and its pretty pathetic if that really riles you up for some reason.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think I am going to buy a Sony PlayStation 5 to play Final Fantasy XVI because I do not wish to wait for it to come to the personal computer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't think they would literally still be in development if it weren't for the PS5, they probably would've just designed a very different game from the one that we're getting. the game that we are getting was designed with PS5 hardware in mind. if for some reason they had tried to make this exact game the same exact way but with PS4 as the target platform, then yeah it would still be in development and that wouldn't be surprising at all.

this kind of statement serves a dual purpose of hyping up the platform that they've agreed to sell the game on but also hyping FFXVI up as a "true next-gen" game, something that people have been a bit starved for. it's good marketing

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 13, 2023

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yoshi-P basically had to PR Speak his way into making A Realm Reborn and has been the face of that game ever since. It's only natural that he's a pro at it by now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

FFXVI looks cool and good, I might even buy a PS5 so I can play it but I also might wait for the PC release, I don't know

I still really want to know what resolution the Performance Mode is going to be in. On one hand, it should absolutely be possible to get a game with FF16's visuals to run in (for example) 1440p/60fps, but I don't know if the team making it is capable of the sort of optimization that allowed games like God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West to look/run as well as they did.

Ideally, console releases can take advantage of their "bespoke" nature to have performance modes that run at the highest possible resolution that can still pull off 60fps, but in practice many just go for the typical 4k/1080p dichotomy.

(This matters a good deal because 1080p looks pretty bad on my TV at the distances I normally play at)

Kale
May 14, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yoshi-P basically had to PR Speak his way into making A Realm Reborn and has been the face of that game ever since. It's only natural that he's a pro at it by now.

I used to think so, but more than a few things he's said of late have made me reconsider that more than a little bit and wonder why he's saying some of the things that he's saying. If you'd asked me a year or two ago I'd say yeah absolutely, nobody at Square Enix does it better.

For example, one in particular got a cocked eyebrow from a friend of mine a little while ago who is the biggest FF fanboy I've ever known. Like much bigger than I've ever been at least even at my peak level of interest in the franchise, but honestly I didn't think it was all that bad, it just needed further context as to where he was coming from. It was the "JRPG" is a derogatory term one which came out of how gaming journalism used to often ridicule JRPG's (a lot of them still got pretty high scores oddly enough, but they were made fun of a lot as well for things I'd just as soon chock up to cultural differences) back in the day and it kind of took on that derogatory connotation when you could just as soon call them RPG's. I don't think that's the case anymore and that it was kind of odd for Yoshi-P to bring up something I feel is a relic connotation of the past, but nonetheless explained my theory on that one to him, but I don't think he bought it still.

I guess my point is that if the biggest FF fanboy I've ever known in my life and a massive Yoshi-P stan thought a quote by him was kind of dumb, than something kind of went wrong in the PR process. I don't know he seems uncharacteristically chippy of late in interviews and like something has changed in his general demeanor. I haven't seen an FFXIV Live Letter in a pretty long time though so maybe checking the latest one out would confirm that or readily dispel the notion entirely since to be fair Western gaming journalists do ask a lot of stupid questions (in Japan it's all canned interview stuff and you know exactly what you're getting out of a Famitsu or 4Gamer piece, and it's all mutually organized to be beneficial to all parties with gotcha questions being well...entirely out of the question), and some in particular Kotaku seem to be trying to do gotcha interviews and hit pieces on him and FFXVI and he seems well aware of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. This kind of poo poo is super common. You should have seen the marketing for FF13's super amazing engine that was fantastical or how FF7 was impossible on anything but PS1. This is literally what every company hyping their new shiny poo poo does.

Like genuinely this reads like you having a grudge against SE and FFXVI being an exclusive and are looking for a reason to be angry over entirely innocuous stuff.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Devs love to talk about the "power of the new generation of consoles!" and its pretty pathetic if that really riles you up for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lGq5ffC3c

Kale posted:

I used to think so, but more than a few things he's said of late have made me reconsider that more than a little bit and wonder why he's saying some of the things that he's saying.
I guess my point is that if the biggest FF fanboy I've ever known in my life and a massive Yoshi-P stan thought a quote by him was kind of dumb, than something kind of went wrong in the PR process.

I'm sorry but you putting this much thought into this is just poisoning your own brain and making you stupid. Please stop being stupid and worrying about a dev doing PR talk in an interview to talk up how good their game looks and runs.

Also he was and still is right about the label JRPG. It still gets thrown around as a term for dismissal alongside the idea of a game being "An anime game" or "too anime"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 14, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kale posted:

I used to think so, but more than a few things he's said of late have made me reconsider that more than a little bit and wonder why he's saying some of the things that he's saying. If you'd asked me a year or two ago I'd say yeah absolutely, nobody at Square Enix does it better.

For example, one in particular got a cocked eyebrow from a friend of mine a little while ago who is the biggest FF fanboy I've ever known. Like much bigger than I've ever been at least even at my peak level of interest in the franchise, but honestly I didn't think it was all that bad, it just needed further context as to where he was coming from. It was the "JRPG" is a derogatory term one which came out of how gaming journalism used to often ridicule JRPG's (a lot of them still got pretty high scores oddly enough, but they were made fun of a lot as well for things I'd just as soon chock up to cultural differences) back in the day and it kind of took on that derogatory connotation when you could just as soon call them RPG's. I don't think that's the case anymore and that it was kind of odd for Yoshi-P to bring up something I feel is a relic connotation of the past, but nonetheless explained my theory on that one to him, but I don't think he bought it still.

I guess my point is that if the biggest FF fanboy I've ever known in my life and a massive Yoshi-P stan thought a quote by him was kind of dumb, than something kind of went wrong in the PR process. I don't know he seems uncharacteristically chippy of late in interviews and like something has changed in his general demeanor. I haven't seen an FFXIV Live Letter in a pretty long time though so maybe checking the latest one out would confirm that or readily dispel the notion entirely since to be fair Western gaming journalists do ask a lot of stupid questions (in Japan it's all canned interview stuff and you know exactly what you're getting out of a Famitsu or 4Gamer piece, and it's all mutually organized to be beneficial to all parties with gotcha questions being well...entirely out of the question), and some in particular Kotaku seem to be trying to do gotcha interviews and hit pieces on him and FFXVI and he seems well aware of it.

It's hilarious that the JRPG statement was a bridge too far, because Yoshi-P was unambiguously correct about that

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arist posted:

It's hilarious that the JRPG statement was a bridge too far, because Yoshi-P was unambiguously correct about that

Yeah which is why I defended that one even though I didn't get very far because I understood exactly where he was coming from having lived through that period, which apparently he just seems incapable or unwilling to remember despite it being not all that long ago. The complete role reversal in that discussion was weird for sure but a good change of pace. It was particularly palpable during the PS3/Xbox 360 era especially, which maybe wasn't the absolute greatest for Triple A RPG's, but certainly wasn't the death knell for the genre some gaming journalists kept making it out to be.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...sh=3bda19077040

A loving Forbes article (hot take central for gaming stuff IMO) summed it up quite well and said everything I would say in defending him on that one. You just cannot make this poo poo up and like I said role reversals man.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 14, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I didn't know JRPG was ever considered derogatory, I just thought it was simply a handy way to refer to Japanese RPG video games which have a lot of commonalities and are fairly different from most western RPGs. Like, Baldur's Gate and The Elder Scrolls are fairly different in tone, setting, the way player characters are presented, etc from like Final Fantasy and Evolution (the only other JPRG I know lmao) :shrug:

Like, JRPGs aren't worse or better than western RPGs IMO, just different

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kale posted:

Yeah which is why I defended that one even though I didn't get very far because I understood exactly where he was coming from having lived through that period, which apparently he just seems incapable or unwilling to remember despite it being not all that long ago. The complete role reversal in that discussion was weird for sure but a good change of pace. It was particularly palpable during the PS3/Xbox 360 era especially, which maybe wasn't the absolute greatest for Triple A RPG's, but certainly wasn't the death knell for the genre some gaming journalists kept making it out to be.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...sh=3bda19077040

A loving Forbes article (hot take central for gaming stuff IMO) summed it up quite well and said everything I would say in defending him on that one. You just cannot make this poo poo up and like I said role reversals man.

Yeah still dumb as hell.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FrostyPox posted:

I didn't know JRPG was ever considered derogatory, I just thought it was simply a handy way to refer to Japanese RPG video games which have a lot of commonalities and are fairly different from most western RPGs. Like, Baldur's Gate and The Elder Scrolls are fairly different in tone, setting, the way player characters are presented, etc from like Final Fantasy and Evolution (the only other JPRG I know lmao) :shrug:

That’s how I understood it. wRPGs vs jRPGs just felt like blanket ways to describe RPGs that shared mechanics and play styles.

Kale
May 14, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

Back around like 2009-2015 or so we were getting a lot of gaming journalism sites talking about the death and decline of "JRPGs" and questioning whether they were obsolete pretty regularly and then around 2017-2018 RPG's had an insanely good stretch and some games from Japanese devs like Persona 5 in particular received so much good will, historically strong sales for their franchises, and positive feedback that it just kind of became impossible to ignore the tidal shift and you almost over the course of a month started to see some of the same journalism sites pushing the "JRPG's are dead" narrative flip flop on the matter and proclaim how much they loved these RPG's from Japanese developers and how cool hip and trendy it all was. This is also around the time where anime (well memes associated with it at the very least) noticeably started getting way more trendy on social media circles and I kind of get the sense that chasing the trend for clicks is what changed the tune more than the realization that they were full of poo poo, but yeah not all that long ago honestly.

e: For a little more context this was around the time when Bethesda was having some really strong output and positive reception with a lot of the games they were putting out which I think was spurning some of this "have JRPG's become irrelevant" sentiment from gaming journalists. Boy oh boy have times changed and does life come at you fast wrt Bethesda's image with gamers in particular nowadays.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 14, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's important to remember that in the 2000s it's not like Japanese devs were plugged into reading English-language posts on GameFAQS, most of them would be way more impacted by the top-level outlets and what they were saying, which is uh

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1631380428023115777

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwH9S1rSdw

https://twitter.com/Tommynaut21/status/1502386754719989772

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FrostyPox posted:

As far as I can tell, the objection to the term is twofold:

1) It's painting the product of an entire geographical region with a broad stylistic brush that's not actually that useful as a descriptor. There are RPGs made in Japan that don't really fit the classic Squaresoft SNES "JRPG" mold, and there are games made by people outside of Japan that adhere very closely to the style, so it's not so much a "only comes from the Champagne region of France" deal and more just a stereotype on par with saying all japanese animated media is about preteens in miniskirts getting tentacle-assaulted or whatever

2) For a period starting in the Xbox era to about the late 2010s, "JRPG" was used as a dismissive belittling term that tanked the sales of perfectly fine games in the Western market solely by the genre association. Like look up that video of the FEZ guy just saying to a Japanese game dev's face at a convention Q&A that Japanese games in general "just suck" and are technologically backwards and need to get their act together to compete with the indie genius of, like, Braid or whatever. Yeah it turned around and is used more or less affectionately as a genre term once the 20-year nostalgia cycle made people fondly look back on the 90s FInal Fantasys, but it still stung at the time of its first being coined.

Kale
May 14, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's important to remember that in the 2000s it's not like Japanese devs were plugged into reading English-language posts on GameFAQS, most of them would be way more impacted by the top-level outlets and what they were saying, which is uh

Vanquish is like probably my favorite platinum game ever and owns faces. Also I guess being set on a space colony and featuring zany and hilarious yet quotable dialogue is what they mean by being "very Japanese" and somehow automatically a bad thing. Game definitely had a steep learning curve and I got stuck retrying some segments for a fair bit like most Platinum titles, but I guess that's too bad that guy sucked too hard to hike up his socks and get good at it. If that guy thought that game was punitive and had a steep learning curve that'll slap you across the face hard for a while it's a good thing he never played it's predecessor company Clover's God Hand. First time I ever played that game I swear I got stuck on the very first stage for like an hour and was caught off guard by how loving unforgiving it turned out to be coming off of Okami. By the time I was finally able to complete the game I could go through the first stage without taking a hit more often than not. That's just how it goes sometimes. I'd still argue that the Great Sensei fight was a bit too much of a pain in the rear end though, especially the first playthrough, but that's about the only part of that game I'd still argue to this day was a bit much even in retrospect.

I feel like if Vanquish had instead come out after Bayonetta or Nier Automata but before Babylon's Fall it'd be a whole different story for that one in terms of reception. I mean Nier: Replicant's score improved like roughly 15-20 points on average over it's initial release (and I'm not sure that all that much frankly changed about it despite some of the touch ups to the combat and graphics and them going with the original young adult character over the burly one they thought Americans wanted) other than that it originally came out in 2010 when it was cool to hate on those "weird janky Japanese games" and it had no chance whereas in 2020 they were super cool and Yoko Taro in particular and public opinion on him had swung so widely and completely that and he had become such a beloved cult figure (frankly still don't think all that much of him even now but that's another story) that they'd get loving crucified by his fans if they gave it anywhere close to the same 30-60 spread scores that the original release got and they loving knew it.

X-Play was also a weird one, because while I can remember Adam ridiculing the poo poo out of a lot of Japanese games for their weirdness in the skits they would do, I still remember him giving them fairly high scores when it was IMO warranted (distinctly remember almost ever PS2 era FF game getting 5/5 stars from X-Play despite him lampooning them for "Japanese weirdness" a lot) and rarely lowballing them like say a Tommy Tallarico type. I swear it was a lot of playing to what G4 Tech TV's audience wanted to see and that he personally did not hold that much ill will towards Japanese games.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 14, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I still don't see how saying "JRPG is a loaded term" makes Yoshi-P a bad communicator/PR speaker.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

Exactly. People literally ask for recommendations of Western JRPGs. I remember we talked about it not that long ago in this thread because of how often turn-based combat comes up. The only thing I know about Cosmic Star Heroine is that it's a JRPG...only not from Japan at all. It's like the entire selling point.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hey, I remember X-Play was at least decent to Xenosaga III. I never liked the show much, however. Leaned way too heavily into "everything sucks lol" kind of criticism you saw at the time.

Kale posted:

Back around like 2009-2015 or so we were getting a lot of gaming journalism sites talking about the death and decline of "JRPGs" and questioning whether they were obsolete pretty regularly and then around 2017-2018 RPG's had an insanely good stretch and some games from Japanese devs like Persona 5 in particular received so much good will, historically strong sales for their franchises, and positive feedback that it just kind of became impossible to ignore the tidal shift and you almost over the course of a month started to see some of the same journalism sites pushing the "JRPG's are dead" narrative flip flop on the matter and proclaim how much they loved these RPG's from Japanese developers and how cool hip and trendy it all was. This is also around the time where anime (well memes associated with it at the very least) noticeably started getting way more trendy on social media circles and I kind of get the sense that chasing the trend for clicks is what changed the tune more than the realization that they were full of poo poo, but yeah not all that long ago honestly.

e: For a little more context this was around the time when Bethesda was having some really strong output and positive reception with a lot of the games they were putting out which I think was spurning some of this "have JRPG's become irrelevant" sentiment from gaming journalists. Boy oh boy have times changed and does life come at you fast wrt Bethesda's image with gamers in particular nowadays.

As somebody who posted on this forum at that time, it was a pretty sad time to be a JRPG fan. So many JRPGs released in that period had a ridiculous level of hate. I doubt we'll ever see anything like the extreme hatred FFXIII got from gamers back then. I always felt like Xenoblade 1 being heralded as the best JRPG ever was because of the vitriol directed at every other JRPG released around this time. The vitriol has died down, and so has XBC1's praise.

But let's be fair, Bethesda has always gotten poo poo. Always. Fallout 3 was mocked as "Oblivion with Guns" and the old Fallout fans would tell you it kicked your dog and murdered your whole family. There are people to this day insisting Skyrim is total garbage. They've always had a certain level of vocal haters online even as their games sell like crazy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 14, 2023

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Asterite34 posted:

officially it's pronounced "mock-oh" rather than "make-oh" like the shark. :goonsay:

nuh uh I asked my uncle WHO WORKS FOR NINTENDO :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In the end, all video games are actually bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

But let's be fair, Bethesda has always gotten poo poo. Always. Fallout 3 was mocked as "Oblivion with Guns" and the old Fallout fans would tell you it kicked your dog and murdered your whole family. There are people to this day insisting Skyrim is total garbage. They've always had a certain level of vocal haters online even as their games sell like crazy.

Bethesda is almost universally touted as a beloved studio in the general press and Fallout 3 and Skyrim are some of the biggest and most mainstream successes out there lol. There's nothing there to compare with the way Japanese games would get poo poo on by general mainstream outlets because that was just like a generally understood "fact" at the time. Niche game forums saying Skyrim is bad is not close to the same thing.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Actually looking at it just now Vanquish scored a lot better than I remember it doing back in 2010 so maybe my memory is a little foggy there. Never mind.

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly. People literally ask for recommendations of Western JRPGs. I remember we talked about it not that long ago in this thread because of how often turn-based combat comes up. The only thing I know about Cosmic Star Heroine is that it's a JRPG...only not from Japan at all. It's like the entire selling point.

Hey, I remember X-Play was at least decent to Xenosaga III. I never liked the show much, however. Leaned way too heavily into "everything sucks lol" kind of criticism you saw at the time.

As somebody who posted on this forum at that time, it was a pretty sad time to be a JRPG fan. So many JRPGs released in that period had a ridiculous level of hate. I doubt we'll ever see anything like the extreme hatred FFXIII got from gamers back then. I always felt like Xenoblade 1 being heralded as the best JRPG ever was because of the vitriol directed at every other JRPG released around this time. The vitriol has died down, and so has XBC1's praise.

IMO what started with FFXIII with the sole exception of FFXIV has never really let up. I don't even think the hate for FFXIII being "linear" even comes close to what FFXV got, which definitely had it's problems (you could definitely feel the just like pulling it together every which way they possibly could yet just not quite realizing a coherent vision for both the story and the universe they'd come up with and it only becoming more palpable in the later stages of the game), but the level to which a lot of people took just making sure everyone knew every day how much they loving HATED it was deeply loving weird on a level I can't say I've ever seen for any other video game nearly ever. Like years after it released it was still kind of impossible to even talk about that game in any context without having to hear a litany of years old complaints about how much people hated that loving game and just getting thread poo poo into oblivion for the effort. I certainly hope those paid got paid for that stuff by some competitor because otherwise what a waste of time they'll probably never get back letting the internet know that yes they hated FFXV and that they'll never get their 70 bucks in 2016 money back.

I actually use FFXV as a benchmark for how absurd bitching about a game could possibly be now, dead serious, like nothing will ever come close for me ever again in my lifetime I'm 90% sure. There'll never be that 12 year development cycle and constant reworking of a title and going back to the drawing board and that 2016/2017 frank peak shitposting on the internet to various confluences of unchecked bot, propaganda and trolling activity ever again that could lead to something quite like FFXV's dire reception.

In fact it only feels like now that FFXVI is coming out and maybe some dedicated trolls have switched to targeting that possibly that it's even possible to talk at all about FFXV and not having to explicit discuss "the flaws" or what a monster the guy that left Square Enix like 5 years ago was. I didn't even like the game all that much myself and consider it one of the weaker FF games in retrospect but loving yeesh.

The thing I remember most about that Tabata fellow though is this one video that he did just before FFXV came out and it was confirmed that this time finally for real it was really coming out on the stated day. I've rarely seen anyone just look more tired, mentally depleted and just loving done than that guy did in that presentation. You could literally see the bags under his eyes and he was kind of stumbling and stuttering a bit working through the pitch very obviously from fatigue and nervousness about how people would react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wepgwx_9kto

Think I found the video. How nostalgic.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 14, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bethesda is almost universally touted as a beloved studio in the general press and Fallout 3 and Skyrim are some of the biggest and most mainstream successes out there lol. There's nothing there to compare with the way Japanese games would get poo poo on by general mainstream outlets because that was just like a generally understood "fact" at the time. Niche game forums saying Skyrim is bad is not close to the same thing.

Fair enough. That's all true.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I get it, I think. I still find it a useful term, but when I say JRPG I don't mean literally a RPG from Japan but an RPG in the style of old-school Japanese RPGs (usually means turn-based, player characters are pre-set characters as opposed to characters the player creates, and other stuff I can't really articulate but certain plot and stylistic elements). I don't read a lot of games journalism so I'm not aware of how the western games media considers JRPGs but if that's all you're reading which as said earlier is how Japanese game devs try to get a feel for the western market, I wouldn't blame them for being upset.

The Fez guy is an actual lunatic IIRC so I feel like no one should take him seriously but that's just me. I don't know much about him but I remember reading about him having a meltdown about something (and also he was kind of a dick)

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 14, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mainstream outlet pieces also usually had (and sometimes still do) an undercurrent of actual capital-R Racism, like hints of the ol' "the Asiatic mind is different to Westerners and the media they enjoy is completely alien and incompatible". Bethesda doesn't have to deal with that sort of thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

I get it, I think. I still find it a useful term, but when I say JRPG I don't mean literally a RPG from Japan but an RPG in the style of old-school Japanese RPGs (usually means turn-based, player characters are pre-set characters as opposed to characters the player creates, and other stuff I can't really articulate but certain plot and stylistic elements). I don't read a lot of games journalism so I'm not aware of how the western games media considers JRPGs but if that's all you're reading which as said earlier is how Japanese game devs try to get a feel for the western market, I wouldn't blame them for being upset.

The Fez guy is an actual lunatic IIRC so I feel like no one should take him seriously but that's just me.

I use jrpg too and i'm not gonna stop but its just explaining why some Japanese devs ain't too fond of the term especially when used in marketing or whatever.

I doubt they care about some guys on an internet forum saying "Wow cool jrpg"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i mean the mere fact that the dichotomy is between "japanese" and "western" is, uh, kinda loaded

"well when I specifically use the term I mean-"
nobody gives a poo poo!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remembering now, on FFX-2 day of all days... I think that was the first game I remember where someone I knew disparaged it as being "too Japanese"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I suppose I could say "Turn-based Character Driven RPG" but that's a lot of letters

EDIT: Actually since they're moving away from turn based I suppose "Character Driven RPG" vs.... "World Driven"?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 14, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FrostyPox posted:

I suppose I could say "Turn-based Character Driven RPG" but that's a lot of letters

what exactly does "character-driven" say here that "RPG" doesn't

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a role playing game where you play the role of a character, quite a novel concept

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Augus posted:

what exactly does "character-driven" say here that "RPG" doesn't

I mean, Daggerfall and FFVII are substantially different games in terms of gameplay, style, presentation, etc They're both RPGs, sure, but the certainly feel like different subgenres

Like Counterstrike and Overwatch and Half-Life 2 are all FPSs but they're generally lumped into different subgenres

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FrostyPox posted:

I mean, Daggerfall and FFVII are substantially different games in terms of gameplay, style, presentation, etc They're both RPGs, sure, but the certainly feel like different genres

yeah one is a Turn-Based RPG and the other is Boring