Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

meanwhile, the wsj knows who is really at fault for this:

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256
This makes me feel so tired

Not only is it incredibly dumb to blame this on the board having a modicum of diversity, rather than say the culture of silicon valley, it feels incredibly close to just saying that we should scapegoat minorities for any problems with the economy.

The author probably hasn't thought it through that far and is just trying to own the libs while making an excuse for silicon valley, but, like imagine if the bank run had actually lead to a major crash in the financial system and the WSJ was publishing an op-ed effectively blaming that on black and LGBT+ people.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

mystes posted:

Not only is it incredibly dumb to blame this on the board having a modicum of diversity, rather than say the culture of silicon valley, it feels incredibly close to just saying that we should scapegoat minorities for any problems with the economy.

The author probably hasn't thought it through that far and is just trying to own the libs while making an excuse for silicon valley, but, like imagine if the bank run had actually lead to a major crash in the financial system and the WSJ was publishing an op-ed effectively blaming that on black and LGBT+ people.

Ya it's really gross. It's the same thing that Donny Jr was saying the other day. That somehow they were "distracted" from running the business because of diversity initiatives.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

mystes posted:

didnt this happen? i remember a lot of right wing complaining that it was fha loans and giving out loans to "unqualified" people that caused 2008

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internaut! posted:

more like laissez faire apparently

there are no only atheists in foxholes server closets

no capitalists in an environment where we've been consistently hosed with our entire adult lives

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

its just a tedious half-assed attempt to justify their worldview

laugh at it, make a mental note that the writer is a loving idiot, and move on

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Enderzero posted:

didnt this happen? i remember a lot of right wing complaining that it was fha loans and giving out loans to "unqualified" people that caused 2008

Ya I remember them blaming everyone but the banks. Definitely a lot of victim blaming back then.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/14/mark-zuckerberg-meta-layoffs-hiring-freeze

"Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta is laying off another 10,000 people and instituting a further hiring freeze as part of the company’s “Year of Efficiency”, the chief executive announced in a Facebook post on Tuesday."

"But there was no sign of Zuckerberg changing course on one of his most controversial decisions in recent years: plowing billions of dollars annually into the “metaverse”, a vaguely defined virtual world that is so central to his vision of the future that he renamed the company after it."

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not all minorities. its like the third millennium of blaming bank failures on jewish peeps, that will come up inevitably

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

@Jaso n deleted all of his panicky all caps doomsday tweets lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

post hole digger posted:

@Jaso n deleted all of his panicky all caps doomsday tweets lol

they live on in our memories

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/mar/14/mark-zuckerberg-meta-layoffs-hiring-freeze

"Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta is laying off another 10,000 people and instituting a further hiring freeze as part of the company’s “Year of Efficiency”, the chief executive announced in a Facebook post on Tuesday."

"But there was no sign of Zuckerberg changing course on one of his most controversial decisions in recent years: plowing billions of dollars annually into the “metaverse”, a vaguely defined virtual world that is so central to his vision of the future that he renamed the company after it."

lol

i wonder if google, microsoft or amazon will be first to follow with a second round (google's still finishing up the first round)

maybe timb will even do some if not enough people buy the apple oculus quest pro

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Internaut! posted:

drat what's it like posting from 1992

hang out in 200 West at 6am and watch how many old white guys come in over the next 2 hours, you might a whole dozen out of 4000*

*pre covid anyway, these days likely zero old white guys

yeah its like a goddamn Benetton ad when you look at wall street banks...

thats why Bloomberg did a frontpage about the changing of the guard at GS that looked like this:

where the other guy (right) in the running looked like this:

refleks fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 14, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internaut! posted:

calling for the extermination of a group of people is cool and good so long as you're quoting a rich white guy from the 19th century

wealthy people should be exterminated like a termite infestation

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the prc did that and new ones popped up

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 14, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is like a magic eye but the longer you look at it the more it looks like a tim and eric thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internaut! posted:

drat what's it like posting from 1992

hang out in 200 West at 6am and watch how many old white guys come in over the next 2 hours, you might a whole dozen out of 4000*

*pre covid anyway, these days likely zero old white guys

the bank isn't gonna suck your dick

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Internaut! posted:

calling for the extermination of a group of people is cool and good so long as you're quoting a rich white guy from the 19th century

the article doesnt even use the word it was just a bad tweet. the article itself is pretty good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

refleks posted:

I can see why bottom left guy was the progressive choice. blue shirt and patterned tie??? mould -> broken

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

post hole digger posted:

this is like a magic eye but the longer you look at it the more it looks like a tim and eric thing.

looks like behind-the-scenes photo from a cut scene in the Detective Pikachu movie where they work-shopped a real-life Dugtrio

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

I can see why bottom left guy was the progressive choice. blue shirt and patterned tie??? mould -> broken

you said it brother

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

our CEO did a presentation where he talked about how improving diversity was a key goal while standing in front of an org chart that showed that every single person in top management was white and male apart from two female executive assistants and like the head of the offshore location lol

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

refleks posted:

thats why Bloomberg did a frontpage about the changing of the guard at GS that looked like this:

well I didn't say park on the 40th floor outside Lloyd's private bathroom but since you mention it are you saying that Lloyd Blankfein, David Solomon and Harvey Schwartz aren't diverse enough for the boardroom at GS

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i didn't realize "banking is a white mans game" was a controversial take...

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1635375691951931393

posting license posting license posting license!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

refleks posted:

business eggs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the prc did that and new ones popped up

that's just cuz they stopped

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internaut! posted:

well I didn't say park on the 40th floor outside Lloyd's private bathroom but since you mention it are you saying that Lloyd Blankfein, David Solomon and Harvey Schwartz aren't diverse enough for the boardroom at GS

no just that all white men are the devil incarnate

yes that includes me, i accept that

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

The discrimination against full heads of hair is appalling

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

you cant trust people with hair. what are they hiding under that?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Heir Apparent? no, i dont think it is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
xD

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

no hair raising losses round here!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the only force more powerful than manlet rage is bald manlet rage

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never seen a hired ceo internal or external shorter than 6', and i dont think i ever will

founders will be 5' 6" or whatever all the time. you can always tell a room full of founders vs room full of hired ceos

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
david solomon is 6' 2" for example

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ours is like 5 7 or something and it's actually pretty funny

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah the founder and president of the company i work for is significantly taller than the CEO

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

never seen a hired ceo internal or external shorter than 6', and i dont think i ever will

founders will be 5' 6" or whatever all the time. you can always tell a room full of founders vs room full of hired ceos

funny to post this on the same page as people talking about lloyd blankfein.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

rotor posted:

well, I;m man enough to admit when i'm wrong

the sweet bro and hella jeff comic about falling down stairs except the thing that keeps happening is the failure of the stupid bullshit money system they've created