Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Terper posted:

Also it should be remembered that Asa tried to save the cat, and that led to Asa's mom dying while protecting her. Haha! That's not funny...

Our new devil is, though :haw: I suppose that is a pretty primal fear, yeah!

:dogstare: I didn't remember that part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

And the convo with Yoru about not wanting to use a cat as a weapon. And now that I'm thinking about it, did she see Chainsaw Man rescue a cat instead of the two groups of humans?

I'm starting to sense a pattern. Let's keep her away from Meowy...

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Absolutely brutal. I cannot stand even implied violence against pets, poo poo was super painful, kudos to Asa for not instantly falling into death and despair for the falling devil. Also like Power cats are her only friend, another tragic link between those two characters.

Same. normally that sort of thing feels cheap, but I think it works here. it just hard to stomach

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

:dogstare: I didn't remember that part

Chapter 102. Its hosed up!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Terper posted:

Chapter 102. Its hosed up!!

Yeah I remember her mom dying just not that it was because she saved a cat, that specific cat even. Fujimoto you absolute loving bastard.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Guessing at things is fun even if it's often futile. While some got close enough to what the devil is I don't think anyone would've ever guessed it would dress up like a chef and start talking a lot in this manner.

The bit at the end is giving off some familiar imagery, namely with the people floating upwards and going to Hell, it's sorta like the rapture except they're going to hell and not heaven. An evil rapture if you will. A pretty good way to kick-off this end of the world prophecy stuff.

Also can the devil's comments be read as the people being the food instead of being the metaphorical diners? Like maybe they're being served up to devils in hell? I feel like it's unlikely, that it's just metaphors, but also if they're going to hell they very well might get eaten.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Brightman posted:

Also can the devil's comments be read as the people being the food instead of being the metaphorical diners? Like maybe they're being served up to devils in hell? I feel like it's unlikely, that it's just metaphors, but also if they're going to hell they very well might get eaten.

nah im pretty sure that's it, the chapter title is hors d'oeuvres+the FD says she's preparing the first course

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wow I was way off. I do feel like Asa is gonna have to do something she dreads and it might be a cat sword :yikes: but I’ve been wrong before clearly.

Also holy poo poo Asa has had crazy life.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Solution is very simple. Go to river, locate cat bones. Crambon Sword Minigun.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I went back and re-read chapter 102, that was the same cat with a hurt leg that Asa saved which accidentally got her mom killed. Asa kept it, nursed it back to health, was taking care of it, tried to give it a better life where it would be happy, and then an evil woman murdered it out of spite and made Asa feel like it was her fault the cat died.

Good Lord, that's so incredibly cruel. Poor Asa, the new devil is cool but I can't even really enjoy it because the chapter was just so sad.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 14, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

Guessing at things is fun even if it's often futile. While some got close enough to what the devil is I don't think anyone would've ever guessed it would dress up like a chef and start talking a lot in this manner.

The bit at the end is giving off some familiar imagery, namely with the people floating upwards and going to Hell, it's sorta like the rapture except they're going to hell and not heaven. An evil rapture if you will. A pretty good way to kick-off this end of the world prophecy stuff.

any normal rear end human going to hell might as well put an apple in their mouth on the way in. they are hosed

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Terper posted:

Also it should be remembered that Asa tried to save the cat, and that led to Asa's mom dying while protecting her. Haha! That's not funny...

Our new devil is, though :haw: I suppose that is a pretty primal fear, yeah!

Oh yeah. :smith:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also, holy poo poo Asa trips and falls a lot and is about to fight the embodiment of falling

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also, holy poo poo Asa trips and falls a lot and is about to fight the embodiment of falling

:monocle:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah weird for Asa’s archenemy to show up so suddenly but I dig it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Happy Landfill posted:

Same. normally that sort of thing feels cheap, but I think it works here. it just hard to stomach

It def works here when it could be cheap, its another valuable layer to the story of Asa and why she is the way she is, it explains her approach that we've seen since the start of part 2 and why Bucky was so traumatic. It was still uncomfortably awful and hard to stomach. gently caress humans. Asa is right to be distrustful of others who say they care about her.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brightman posted:

Devils eat people, and here we see a devil dressed as a chef sending a bunch of people to a place with a bunch of devil's.

It doesn't seem unlikely at all that those people are getting eaten when they get to Hell they are 100% food.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I went back and re-read chapter 100, that was the same cat with a hurt leg that Asa saved which accidentally got her mom killed. Asa kept it, nursed it back to health, was taking care of it, tried to give it a better life where it would be happy, and then an evil woman murdered it out of spite and made Asa feel like it was her fault the cat died.

Good Lord, that's so incredibly cruel. Poor Asa, the new devil is cool but I can't even really enjoy it because the chapter was just so sad.

Chapter 102, right? There is also a similar looking cat in Chapter 101.

.. Maybe the cat's immortal!!!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Scholtz posted:

I choose to believe this.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

this chapter also did a lot for me to pull Asa's part two arc into focus against denji's part one arc. a lot of part one for denji is about coming to acknowledge himself as not a dog but a person, who is allowed to have desires and feelings and to want to live for something more than mere survival even if that something is childish or stupid, which is why his emotional arc climaxes with the tearful realization that he actually wants a hundred girlfriends and steak every day for breakfast.

where denji's thing was that he framed himself as too animalistic or subhuman to understand or appreciate anything beyond mere material security, asa's skewed self-concept revolves around the idea that her basic need for togetherness and socialization makes her unacceptably hosed-up and grasping and needy because she is otherwise (more or less) materially secure. she consistently literally trips and falls when attempting to reach out to others to change her or their situation, with tragic results (the cat and her mom, Bucky, the phone), and I think both the class prez earlier and the orphanage owner here hit hard on the idea that she somehow has it too good. she literally has the realization at her moment of death in chapter 98 that she needed to live more selfishly but has been driven around by war so aggressively for 25 chapters she hasn't been able to do anything about it. and meanwhile denji, with nayuta to care for, is similarly starting to ask how much he is allowed to want (and a lot to unpack there about how young man denji has to be saddled with a dependent by the narrative to get to the point of questioning the permissibility of his own emotional needs while fujimoto has asa constantly reprimanded for being too needy simply for being a young woman trying to live her life).

making asa a teenage girl who's being driven into a cycle of self-loathing and despair because people around her constantly accuse her of having it too good based on the small glimpses they have of her life (heaven forbid a woman do anything), and then in turn having the dissonance between that and her obviously worsening mental health destroy her self-concept is very good and timely and an extremely fun turn after part 1

e: oh hang on wait "people around asa constantly accuse her of having too good a life based on the small skewed glimpses they have" is a great reason to have yoshida flag the concept of parasocial interaction and makes that part feel a lot more sane now. obviously in-fiction he's telling her to choose parasociality over real social relationships but it twigs for the reader that a non-zero number of asa's problems (beyond, you know, her mom dying and the horseman of the apocalypse in her head) are about people developing a false image of her based on those glimpses and punishing her for the image they created.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 14, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scholtz posted:

Yeah it's 102, I mistyped it. Good catch, I changed my original post just in case anyone else wants to know what to read so they can feel extra sad

Like other people have said this devil getting stronger from trauma is probably bad news for Denji since that boy is full of the stuff

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

well okay now I'm thinking about how Denji the Dog Guy had an arc about learning to be independent, and now Asa the Cat Lady is learning about trying to bond with and rely on others.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

mycelia posted:

well okay now I'm thinking about how Denji the Dog Guy had an arc about learning to be independent, and now Asa the Cat Lady is learning about trying to bond with and rely on others.

Part 3 will be about Jerry

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

mycelia posted:

Now I'm thinking about what we might get for part 3 (if there is one). Maybe a fish person?

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

mycelia posted:

wondering if there will be a csm3 with a fish friend.

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 14, 2023

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Now I'm thinking about what we might get for part 3 (if there is one). Maybe a fish person?

Chainsawman part 3: A nonbinary person and their lizard

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hmm, should we change the thread title to A girl and her cat?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hmm, should we change the thread title to A girl and her cat?

Long Live Denji; All Hail Asa

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The Falling Devil wasn't hitting me as hard as the last Primal Fear, but the one-two punch of making Asa remember her dead cat and turning the entire world upside down has done an excellent job of making my stomach churn.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

thinking about how a horseman of the apocalypse is one of the most decent people Asa has ever met

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the falling devil is such a great primal fear. the thread theorycrafting is fun but i never quite liked failure (or despair or change etc) as an idea because the primal fears feel like they should be fears comprehensible to the lizard brain. failure is an abstract idea that requires an understanding of contingency and the future (and the future is clearly not a primal fear). falling on the other hand is the most "i am afraid because my brain is telling me my sensory organs are detecting something wrong" animal-type fear there is

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I was trying to figure out where the name Crambon comes from, and I'm pretty sure I've got it.
Kenji Miyazawa's children's story The Wild Pear features two crabs discussing something or someone called "clambon/crambon".
Whatever it is, it's dead at the bottom of the river.

It's a strange and lovely little story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah it's 102, I mistyped it. Good catch, I changed my original post just in case anyone else wants to know what to read so they can feel extra sad

Like other people have said this devil getting stronger from trauma is probably bad news for Denji since that boy is full of the stuff

He's got a ton of it, but the Devil's power is based on sinking into trauma, while Denji is the world repression champion ten years running. If anyone can just not think about poo poo to avoid flying into space, it's Denji.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Valentin posted:

this chapter also did a lot for me to pull Asa's part two arc into focus against denji's part one arc. a lot of part one for denji is about coming to acknowledge himself as not a dog but a person, who is allowed to have desires and feelings and to want to live for something more than mere survival even if that something is childish or stupid, which is why his emotional arc climaxes with the tearful realization that he actually wants a hundred girlfriends and steak every day for breakfast.

where denji's thing was that he framed himself as too animalistic or subhuman to understand or appreciate anything beyond mere material security, asa's skewed self-concept revolves around the idea that her basic need for togetherness and socialization makes her unacceptably hosed-up and grasping and needy because she is otherwise (more or less) materially secure. she consistently literally trips and falls when attempting to reach out to others to change her or their situation, with tragic results (the cat and her mom, Bucky, the phone), and I think both the class prez earlier and the orphanage owner here hit hard on the idea that she somehow has it too good. she literally has the realization at her moment of death in chapter 98 that she needed to live more selfishly but has been driven around by war so aggressively for 25 chapters she hasn't been able to do anything about it. and meanwhile denji, with nayuta to care for, is similarly starting to ask how much he is allowed to want (and a lot to unpack there about how young man denji has to be saddled with a dependent by the narrative to get to the point of questioning the permissibility of his own emotional needs while fujimoto has asa constantly reprimanded for being too needy simply for being a young woman trying to live her life).

making asa a teenage girl who's being driven into a cycle of self-loathing and despair because people around her constantly accuse her of having it too good based on the small glimpses they have of her life (heaven forbid a woman do anything), and then in turn having the dissonance between that and her obviously worsening mental health destroy her self-concept is very good and timely and an extremely fun turn after part 1

e: oh hang on wait "people around asa constantly accuse her of having too good a life based on the small skewed glimpses they have" is a great reason to have yoshida flag the concept of parasocial interaction and makes that part feel a lot more sane now. obviously in-fiction he's telling her to choose parasociality over real social relationships but it twigs for the reader that a non-zero number of asa's problems (beyond, you know, her mom dying and the horseman of the apocalypse in her head) are about people developing a false image of her based on those glimpses and punishing her for the image they created.

hmm, interesting thoughts, thanks for writing them up. it does seem to line up with a bit that stuck with me from this arc, when yuko is stuck as a devil and is talking things out with asa before leaving, she apologizes for being selfish, she only reached out to asa because she was desperate for a friend

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Denji is the expert of swallowing his trauma

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
As someone else said, I’m struggling to truly enjoy the Falling Devil’s appearance when that orphanage worker did something far more monstrous lmao.

Love that Part 2 is basically a story about how being a teenage girl loving sucks.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Baron La Croix posted:

I was trying to figure out where the name Crambon comes from, and I'm pretty sure I've got it.
Kenji Miyazawa's children's story The Wild Pear features two crabs discussing something or someone called "clambon/crambon".
Whatever it is, it's dead at the bottom of the river.

It's a strange and lovely little story.

thank you

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scholtz posted:

Well, it seems to be "Falling" metaphorically but shown literally

Or maybe I'm reading too much into that last thing the devil said

It's all types. Whatever comes to mind with Falling is what it represents. It's the same with Darkness Devil also being fear of the Unknown and whatever might be lurking in the Darkness.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

cuntman.net posted:

lol no one considered the obvious answer for what devil it is

the idea didn't dawn on me at all, but the instant i read it, i loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yoru realizing they're the best, most stable person in Asa's life. By a wide margin.