Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BattleMaster posted:

the sweet bro and hella jeff comic about falling down stairs except the thing that keeps happening is jim cramer opening his god drat mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I WARNED YOU ABOUT JIM CRAMER BRO!!!! I TOLD YOU DAWG!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

zuck discovers that large orgs are less efficient and focused than small orgs

https://twitter.com/modestproposal1/status/1635672478478475267?s=20

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pmchem posted:

zuck discovers that large orgs are less efficient and focused than small orgs
three years from now: zuck discovers that having lots of little orgs is inefficient and unifies them all into one big monolith

rinse, repeat

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 14, 2023

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i wonder if part of that productivity boost after the layoffs is from the remaining workers being scared into working faster, or at least making it appear that way, out of fear

probably at least a contributor

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
how about making the org so lean that you just liquidate the fucker and cleanse the earth of facebook's noxious existence

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
yeah like for facebook i dont feel like lean is far enough, i want to see it emaciated and starving

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

refleks posted:

i didn't realize "banking is a white mans game" was a controversial take...

Just a note that Internaut! got laughed out of the Canadian Debt Bubble thread for repeatedly posting nothing but red-hot anti-immigrant takes. They're basically the target demographic for that "distracted by diversity" article.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Broken Machine posted:

i wonder if part of that productivity boost after the layoffs is from the remaining workers being scared into working faster, or at least making it appear that way, out of fear

the layoffs will continue until performance improves??

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gnossiennes posted:

the layoffs will continue until performance improves??

sounds more like the layoffs will continue until 2-4 quarters after performance stops improving

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

my guess is that things are getting done faster by ticket-closing metrics because many process gatekeepers are gone and people are doing more cowboy poo poo. the harmful effects of this don't show up in a burn down chart, at least not in the short term

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

there’s also almost certainly a conscious effort to gently caress with the metrics to make themselves look good, as opposed to previously when everyone would be more open/honest about things being stalled/failing because they weren’t as afraid of losing their jobs over it

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

AnoHito posted:

there’s also almost certainly a conscious effort to gently caress with the metrics to make themselves look good, as opposed to previously when everyone would be more open/honest about things being stalled/failing because they weren’t as afraid of losing their jobs over it

tbh they should always, always have been 'optimizing' for the metrics since it's clearly all that impacts the minuscule likelihood of a raise, honestly who gives a poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1635698344843411462

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just a note that Internaut! got laughed out of the Canadian Debt Bubble thread for repeatedly posting nothing but red-hot anti-immigrant takes. They're basically the target demographic for that "distracted by diversity" article.

"SIVB died because they didn't hedge their interest rate risk"

"hey everyone look this chud thinks housing in Canada could be cooled off by pausing immigration!"

purity test status:failed 😢

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
im actually super happy all of this poo poo took place during my vacation so I wont have to listen to as much stupid libertarian commentary on it from my coworkers as i would have if i were in the office.

but i bet they'll still have plenty of lovely things to say next week when i get back

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
oh hey, it’s Tuesday, the economy didn’t collapse. I seem to recall bdid saying it would.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kitten emergency posted:

oh hey, it’s Tuesday, the economy didn’t collapse. I seem to recall bdid saying it would.

are you calling their stoxx clause?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they issued a guarantee on the 600 billion of fuckup on the balance sheet, so they squished that carpet bubble well and good. it remains to be seen where the next carpet bubble pops up. 2008 took 4 years all in all

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you want a proper toxx, i will do one and only one:

by december 31, 2025, at least 100 banks will have failed in the world (so not just usa) compared to march 1 2023 :toxx:

current count is svb, signature, silvergate, svb britain. credit suisse just issued a fuckin nutso notice

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 15, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

something tells me that bdid looked up global bank failure rate and that he's not at much risk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internaut! posted:

"hey everyone look this chud thinks housing in Canada could be cooled off by pausing immigration!"

you racist moron

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internaut! posted:

i'm the guy who sees 12k month-to-month whole home rentals on airbnb in toronto alone and blames immigration for the housing crisis

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Achmed Jones posted:

something tells me that bdid looked up global bank failure rate and that he's not at much risk

lol it's not that risky

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tuesday after the biggest bank failure in 15 years is not a great day for a bank (credit suisse) to send out a notice that they hosed up hard on the accounting, overall

they say it was just 7 billion chf. but are they honest about that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
credit sus has been circling the drain for a while, just refuses to go down

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Achmed Jones posted:

if only he was head of svb at the time

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you want a proper toxx, i will do one and only one:

by december 31, 2025, at least 100 banks will have failed in the world (so not just usa) compared to march 1 2023 :toxx:

current count is svb, signature, silvergate, svb britain. credit suisse just issued a fuckin nutso notice

toxx 3 year out? boring.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

great time to be interviewing with them. :sludgepal:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
only two or three huge months of panic during the 2008 crisis over years, anyhow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

credit sus has been circling the drain for a while, just refuses to go down

MUCH LIKE YOURE POSTNIG!!!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

KidDynamite posted:

great time to be interviewing with them. :sludgepal:

its a terrible time to be interviewing anywhere. its loving rough out there

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agile Vector posted:

are you calling their stoxx clause?

yesssss

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i guess this problem was much more systemic than was being let on and if the contagion was allowed to spread on monday we’d be looking at a real poo poo circus

the fact they’re making the banks pay for their fuckup this time is a bit of a breath of fresh air for once

you post a post like this on tuesday

posting a post like this, as requested

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

rotor posted:

yeah like for facebook i dont feel like lean is far enough, i want to see it emaciated and starving

few will believe me, but Scott adams used to have some ok opinions. in the dilbert principle he reprinted emails that people sent to him, and one of them was someone saying their company had gone beyond lean and mean to skinny and pissed. so at one point he had enough clarity to know that was a good bit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
he was certainly always an rear end in a top hat before, but like many people his age, social media seems to have broken his brain completely

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Internaut! posted:

lol I remembered this dude because of the awful balding man with multiple suck machines avatar he got stuck with, but I quickly realized why as soon as he posted wahhh I have to work late (for a bank, and thus making some real cash) because of this dang bank run wahhh

good to get a checkup on the poster quality instinct reflexes

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Beeftweeter posted:

he was certainly always an rear end in a top hat before, but like many people his age, social media seems to have broken his brain completely

definitely, but his last decade of posting has completely obliterated what were ok maybe even good opinions about business. the same book had his management philosophy which was basically get rid of assholes, focus and remove stupid process so we can all go home at 5 pm. it was called OA5 - out at 5.

how he turned into this in about 20 years is a solid demonstration of time’s ravages

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

getting off of social media did me immeasurable good and i highly recommend it

my only social outlets online are a few slacks with irl and long-time online-only friends and this forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
organic brain damage, wasnt it