Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Rebuild 1 is full of telegraphing for Rebuild 2. Think about why one might miss those new details before suggesting to skip it entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The first Rebuild was worth it for [SCREAMS GEOMETRIACALLY] alone

Yes it's the first half-dozen episodes remux, but the changes and choices set the groundwork for later revelations as the series went on

Not having to wait a progressively longer set of years between films helps immensely in tying things together

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first two Rebuild movies are kind of hilarious in how blatant the product placement is. It might be the Apocalypse but dammit if that won't stop you from grabbing a bag of Doritos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fight with the geometry Angel in rebuild 1 was cool as gently caress, movie’s worth it for that alone

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ranzear posted:

Rebuild 1 is full of telegraphing for Rebuild 2. Think about why one might miss those new details before suggesting to skip it entirely?

I apologize for my crimes

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

i would just watch rather watch the first 6 episodes again + the end credits scene on the moon.
yeah, i’ve seen both too

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

the fight with the geometry Angel in rebuild 1 was cool as gently caress, movie’s worth it for that alone

I was very mad when all the clips of it were taken off youtube, coincidentally around the same time the rebuild movies made it to Amazon.

But yeah that was good stuff

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Episode 8, Asuka and the best fishing trip ever. This show is really fun to watch.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kingtheninja posted:

This show is really fun to watch.
yes is it kind of a big deal and not still super popular all these decades later by accident

next you can watch the other best thing Hideaki Anno has ever made, Gunbuster

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

That's a weird way to say Shin Godzilla.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I could maaaaaybe see how the idea of Rebuild 1 might seem a little less compelling if you're jumping into it immediately after watching the series, but for me it had been some time since I'd seen it, and it's notable subtle differences were still pretty apparent.

I just don't think the idea that the series episodes suffice works in it's place, only watching 2-4 feels like it would be a pretty baffling experience.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhKwvmmfU0I

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

yes is it kind of a big deal and not still super popular all these decades later by accident

next you can watch the other best thing Hideaki Anno has ever made, Gunbuster

I've seen gunbuster (and shin godzilla), both great. I'd like to check out the ultraman and kamen rider movies when those come out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would like US physical releases of whatever .xx of Rebuild 1 and 3.0+ that we’re on now, おねがいします

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Redezga posted:

That's a weird way to say Shin Godzilla.

I loved watching the B-2 bomber attack and thinking "that's not even the most blood he's ever put on screen."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The first two Rebuild movies are kind of hilarious in how blatant the product placement is. It might be the Apocalypse but dammit if that won't stop you from grabbing a bag of Doritos.

Just like real life

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

never played the old ones, but I hear Shinji turns into a total freaking badass in the Super Robot War games

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

More importantly misato becomes amuros girlfriend

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GateOfD posted:

never played the old ones, but I hear Shinji turns into a total freaking badass in the Super Robot War games

It's been years since I looked into it, but isn't Shinji mentored by more of the hot blooded pilots or something like that?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

spending a bunch of time with master asia and guy shishio will put some hair on your chest and kick the sadbrains to the curb for sure

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shinjobi posted:

It's been years since I looked into it, but isn't Shinji mentored by more of the hot blooded pilots or something like that?

In one of the more recent ones, V, which can be imported in English for the PS4 or pirated in English for PC has the Getter and Mazinger pilots adopt him, more or less, and since he's around a bunch of people who actually give a poo poo he winds up less miserable. I'm really looking forward to seeing how SRW handles the fourth rebuild.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh Shinji, my boy.:allears:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Actually, these posts got me interested in something.

Kingtheninja - What are your impressions of Misato? Do you think she's cool, nice, do you like her or not like her?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Misato is the most burnt out 30-something in all of anime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evangelion is another one where adding 10 years to the age of everyone who isn't in high school or younger makes it a little more relatable.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

misato is not even 30 and is the captain (and then major) of japan's defense operations against monsters capable of killing the world. she's exactly as burnt out as she should be and the fact that she can put the "high-functioning" in high-functioning alcoholic is a mark in her favor given her circumstances imo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GateOfD posted:

am i alone in that i enjoyed the original eva series.

but have had 0 interest in any of the rebuild movies?

No. I will probably end up seeing the rebuild movies at some point but its not a priority.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Seemlar posted:

I could maaaaaybe see how the idea of Rebuild 1 might seem a little less compelling if you're jumping into it immediately after watching the series, but for me it had been some time since I'd seen it, and it's notable subtle differences were still pretty apparent.

I just don't think the idea that the series episodes suffice works in it's place, only watching 2-4 feels like it would be a pretty baffling experience.
it came out, what, a dozen years after the series first aired? it makes no sense not to watch. it isn’t a clipshow.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Why would you skip the foundation for the story the rebuilds are going to tell even if its not as drastic a departure as what follows? There are tons of cues and clues in Rebuild 1 to whats going on with the story/setting which are not the same as the TV series and enough subtle adjustments from the first 6ish episodes that I do think you'd be missing out on kinda the whole point.

Shinji's characterization in rebuild 2 doesn't make as much sense without what you see in rebuild one which is different in its presentation than the TV series. It is the most repetitive of the films, but given the meta commentary the Rebuilds are I feel like skipping it would be a real disservice to the experience they're offering.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Why would you skip the foundation for the story the rebuilds are going to tell even if its not as drastic a departure as what follows? There are tons of cues and clues in Rebuild 1 to whats going on with the story/setting which are not the same as the TV series and enough subtle adjustments from the first 6ish episodes that I do think you'd be missing out on kinda the whole point.

Shinji's characterization in rebuild 2 doesn't make as much sense without what you see in rebuild one which is different in its presentation than the TV series. It is the most repetitive of the films, but given the meta commentary the Rebuilds are I feel like skipping it would be a real disservice to the experience they're offering.

well right now they have no desire to watch any of the rebuilds, so i was trying to encourage them to do so. in retrospect, i probably should have said something like: the subsequent rebuilds are way more interesting than 'the first 6 episodes but misato got a promotion, shinji sees a scary monster in the nerv basement 15 episodes early, and the cars are cgi', so keep watching after the first one. oh well

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Notorious ZSB posted:

it was, frankly, a terrible suggestion

Schwarzwald posted:

No. I will probably end up seeing the rebuild movies at some point but its not a priority.
wait, you've been reading evangelion threads in ADTRW for almost 20 years and you haven't seen any of the rebuild movies yet? there has gotta be some kind of award for that.

e:
rofl he's a little confused but he's got the spirit

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 15, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TenementFunster posted:

wait, you've been reading evangelion threads in ADTRW for almost 20 years and you haven't seen any of the rebuild movies yet? there has gotta be some kind of award for that.

:lol: As a big fan of super robot style anime I've mostly tried to avoid Eva discussions because it was omnipresent in that scene for years and a lot of oldbies had very calcified opinions. (I don't just mean on Something Awful, either. I remember heated "debates" on now defunct vBulletin sites.) I started reading this thread when the show came to Netflix because a bunch of people were talking about watching the show for the first time.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Nuebot posted:

In one of the more recent ones, V, which can be imported in English for the PS4 or pirated in English for PC has the Getter and Mazinger pilots adopt him, more or less, and since he's around a bunch of people who actually give a poo poo he winds up less miserable. I'm really looking forward to seeing how SRW handles the fourth rebuild.

Come to have Koji Kabuto in Mazinger Z not give up on Shinji and rescuing him from a berserk Eva-01 when it happens the first time (and Shinji doing everything he can to return the favor considerably later in the game), stay to watch Asuka yell the Getter Robo team (mostly Benkei) who foolishly thought "We're three pilots, they're three pilots, how hard could training them to cooperate more be?"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Actually, these posts got me interested in something.

Kingtheninja - What are your impressions of Misato? Do you think she's cool, nice, do you like her or not like her?

I think she's a blast, I really enjoy how insane she is. I had a good chuckle in episode 8 (I think?) where her ID card has her age and measurements blacked out with what looks like a marker.

Edit: I'm halfway through I think episode 11, gonna wrap it up soon and post thoughts on the latest batch.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So episodes 9,10,and 11 are done. Right off the bat I have to say the spider eye angel from 11 is incredible and has to be straight out of Johnny quest's walking eye robots.

Loved the dancing training bit in episode 9, seeing Eva's buried upside down was a hilarious bit. The look of the embryo in the volcano has me convinced the Eva's are some kind of hijacked angels or cyber new type ish angels made by humans. I'm really hurting for more info and backstory on things so I hope I get a little soon.

No decision on rei VS. Asuka yet, rei is just super quiet and in a creepy way and Asuka is living up to the "red head in anime" trope a little too much.

Onwards to episode 12!

Edit: haha opening of 12 gives me an immediate piece of misato history, love it.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 17, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Asuka might not be the first angry redhead in anime but she's definitely an inception point for several thousand follow ups.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Man the angel designs are so creepy and weird. This one looks like painted eyes, and it's in space! So maybe they're drawn to earth from space?

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's been fun to read these. I might have to start rewatching it again myself. I recently dug up my old copies of the ADV Films versions of the dvds and they all come with nice little colour booklets detailing all the episodes, angels and evas for their respective disks. Edit: got ahead of myself.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Rebuild version of that Angel's also incredibly well done