Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Haystack posted:

Did Potteto miss the entire joke about battle underwear on pg 18, or did Tonikaku add one?

Yeah I'm interested because I definitely feel like Tonikaku's translation flows better as dialogue.

E: breaking news: ANOTHER ROMANCE HAS HIT THE SUPERMARKET SMOKING AREA

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I'm interested because I definitely feel like Tonikaku's translation flows better as dialogue.
Here's the page. Haven't had a chance to run it through a translator.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

OneDeadman posted:

It’s just two different ways of translating the same thing. I assume Potteto chose to not translate it as Battle Underwear for localization purposes

I'm talking about this:

vs this:

In the former the upper left is a joke, in the other it's not. I'm personally guessing that the former is a closer translation.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
deadman was referring to that as well. translators go different ways on this sort of thing, where say in this instance "battle underwear" is an understood term in japan. we don't use it in english, but its something you can generally glean from the context of its use. so would you leave it 'as-is' and have the readers pick up on it, or drop it and reword things in familiar concepts?

if anyone was still fishing for more info, its basically just having a set of underwear that gets you confident for a decisive 'battle', with the obvious primary meaning to that being "im going on a date where i think we might get pretty naked so i want to look Good". it can have a secondary meaning where you're just wearing it to psyche yourself up, not to show anyone. its 'supposed to' be a color-matched set which strikes me as something that's heavily marketed to women (well, as we can see in this chapter).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Specifically, word used is "Shōbu" which is a word used for a serious match or competition. "Battle Underwear" is definitely a more accurate/concise translation.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
love is war

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm happy that my irrational bias against Potteto for their attempted sniping of the series and dumb name appears to be justified.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

kasane and subaru chapter 11

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:discourse: perfect page edit.
Only because of her previous series am I not annoyed by someone else pining for Subaru this early in a romcom.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
New chapters for Restaurant of the Useless Lesbians Awkward People dropped. You know what that means:

Been hesitant to bring up this one here (or in the LGBT thread) since technically it's still subtext, but it seems we've reached the point where at least other people realize that, my god, these bitches gay.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

New Telework And there's some good news and some bad news.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chapter 90 of Sono Bisque: https://mangadex.org/title/aa6c76f7-5f5f-46b6-a800-911145f81b9b/sono-bisque-doll-wa-koi-wo-suru

I read both versions of it and Pottetto reads better to me :shrug:

Also people getting pissy about sniping is funny to me because none of these people have the right to post these pages in the first place lol.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i think at some point we can move on from the two scan groups thing, preferably before it leads to any takes worse than that

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is there something I'm not understanding about sniping? AFAICT it's just a scan group going "how dare you translate this thing i'm already translating", which, lol

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
not the sniping specifically there just saying "if youre committing a crime then you cant complain about fairness". like scanlation is a process wherein people volunteer their time and labor to share art with people around the world, we should have at least a baseline of respect for the people involved if we're going to consume it. if we just talk like no one involved has human rights then where does that leave us as the ones reaping the rewards with no effort.

sniping isnt the worst thing in the world and has its extenuating factors, but the main idea is you have a group of people making a gift for others and someone else is now saying "hey, im making this gift too, you should take mine instead." and again both groups in this instance are competent and the second group to come along has unique things to bring to the table like volume extras, sfx translation, etc. so its just a lightly awkward affair to me, not really a moral judgment as to who is reading what

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 17, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real problem with sniping is that sooner or later one of the groups is going to quit and then shortly afterward the other one will fall apart. it happens every time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sorry but framing "I called dibs" as a human right only further reinforces the absurdity to me

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Space Flower posted:

i think at some point we can move on from the two scan groups thing, preferably before it leads to any takes worse than that

Yeah I agree I don't want to read any bad takes such as "scanlators not getting sniped is a human right"

On topic the manga that Gojo and Marin are obsessed with sounds really dumb, but in a way that serms appropriate for a couple of teens to get too invested in. And also Murakami is a good friend.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
dont think either of you actually understood the post, despite that i put a line break in between "saying people have no rights if they're pirates is weird" and "sniping is rude, sometimes"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It is a crime her confession keeps getting pushed back. This girl is thirsty and wants a tall drink of Gojou that everyone wants her to have.

Nihilarian posted:

I'm sorry but framing "I called dibs" as a human right only further reinforces the absurdity to me
I think it's more that everyone has had a series with a scanlation that they view as quality explode on impact. Where another group who puts out a faster, but lower quality translation long enough causes the former group to leave. For better or worse scanlations are just as much an ego project as they are passion projects and there's always the concern that drama will cause a series to either get worse treatment, with no possibility of an official translation to soften the blow, or no treatment at all. Sniping is also generally about jumping onto something that is popular so if any series gains a lot of traction others will flock to it trying to get money/attention. A recent example is Telework where for two weeks, two different groups put out faster, but inferior translations/typset products as opposed to the group that is consistent and quality and been there since the beginning.

The whole idea of Dibs is itself a bit ridiculous in this situation given all this is technically illegal. For Sono Bisque I'm at least to believe that both current groups make translation errors but the sum of their translations is closer to the best interpretation of the japanese text. And since both groups co-exist well enough we all get to benefit, along with having a third TL from the official ones to further compare. But this is rarely the case. One group will be willing to put in the time to get everyone's attention and the rest will drop it and move on.

There's a lot of drama for scanlations that seems absurd when we are on the outside looking in, but it's there regardless. If you spent hours of your week doing unpaid (or vastly underpaid) translations and the people you were catering too would accept anything that came out faster. I can understand why people would be willing to just stop altogether.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Started reading 100 Girlfriends after the anime announcement and I'm amazed that a premise that sounds incredibly bad on paper turns out to be extremely funny in practice.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Brought To You By posted:

It is a crime her confession keeps getting pushed back. This girl is thirsty and wants a tall drink of Gojou that everyone wants her to have.
you know it won't be until at least ch 100

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Short but sweet romance story about a married couple reigniting the spark between them after years of being cold to one another. With Just a few words

Coaaab posted:

you know it won't be until at least ch 100
It's only tolerable to wait that long because the cosplay stuff is really good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Short but sweet romance story about a married couple reigniting the spark between them after years of being cold to one another. With Just a few words
This manga is very short and very adorable :kimchi:

Thank you for the recommendation!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

polar opposites chapter 27, field trip part 3
tairazuma this time!

nabe duck

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I agree I don't want to read any bad takes such as "scanlators not getting sniped is a human right"

On topic the manga that Gojo and Marin are obsessed with sounds really dumb, but in a way that serms appropriate for a couple of teens to get too invested in. And also Murakami is a good friend.

lol, you just know that Mandate of Heaven would have a 100-page SA thread that keeps getting locked due to arguments about plot points and lewd Haniel fanart.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Quack

This series just has so much life and energy in the backgrounds it’s always a delight.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

in which everyone wants a piece of komura

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
She probably should've led with Do you have a girlfriend and saved herself some time

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

telework chapter 18

also some extras for girl/glasses 97.5 97.6 98.1

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

komura's mom is in the top tier of manga moms

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So frustrated! I just finished my two Winter Anime 2023 romances, Sugar Apple Fairy Tale and The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten. I loved TASMR's ending; it was so innocently sweet. But SAFT's ending left me reeling. I hadn't known the manga is finished and that the rest of the story continues in July 2023. So annoying to be left on a cliffhanger.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

you and i are polar opposites chapter 28, field trip part 4

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
This manga's strongest asset is its unmatched charm.

This manga's second strongest asset is Taira's perpetual suffering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Taira’s great because you can see how in a different world he could have been a horrible incel but through the power of friendship and community he gained SELF AWARENESS and now he’s merely depressed. But a depressed softie.

Like a slightly melted marshmallow.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress.

https://twitter.com/MangaUpGlobal/status/1642904790677049347

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

a whole generation marked by patlabor...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm going to go with the 2nd possibility the MC presents doesn't seem like there wasn't any internet or cellular service for this expedition even given when it is happening. And it was odd to me the first time she was shown on a trip; that she didn't stop her mail. Going off personal experience she's probably the type of person to not really care about things at home when she's on the job which is particularly cruel to this guy after a month+ of no communication and during the pandemic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

a whole generation marked by patlabor...

The problem is this probably means scans will dry up and mangaup sucks and is yet another app to have to check for updates. Also not sure what this means for a physical release.

Why can't publishers learn the lesson that the music and TV industries also didn't learn when it came to piracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I forget, what series were no longer being scanlated when they got put onto mangaup?