Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The last book in that series is The Evolutionary Void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it isn't. It's Judas Unchained but if we were to go by your definition, the last book is The Night Without Stars.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
There are good parts to Hamilton's books. But then there's all the sex stuff in it and all of that is terrible.

But Paula Myo was my teenage crush so who can really say how good they are.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Empire of Sand (Books of Ambha #1) by Tasha Suri - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8J34CC/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also since it was mentioned in this thread fairly recently, The 13&1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is on sale on Kindle for $2.99 today
https://www.amazon.com/13-Lives-Captain-Blue-Bear-ebook/dp/B07MWB1RZP/

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Also since it was mentioned in this thread fairly recently, The 13&1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is on sale on Kindle for $2.99 today

Do yourself a favour and read a modern fantasy classic on the cheap

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've been reading the original Dragonlance novels (well, just the first one because I'm mega slow nowadays) and it keeps addressing how Raistlin's physically hosed up because of a previous adventure. I've seen the series where this is expounded on (War of the Twins), is that one worth reading as well?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I've been reading the original Dragonlance novels (well, just the first one because I'm mega slow nowadays) and it keeps addressing how Raistlin's physically hosed up because of a previous adventure. I've seen the series where this is expounded on (War of the Twins), is that one worth reading as well?
First, War of the Twins is the second novel in the Legends trilogy, and second, that trilogy is a sequel to the Chronicles trilogy you're reading right now. There's flashbacks and explanations of why Raistlin is how he is, but the full story is told in the spinoff novel Soulforge.

It's fine. If you like what you're reading, it's more of the same, weird Mormon logic and all. I could swear I've read Soulforge but I can not remember a drat thing about it, so buyer beware.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Siivola posted:

First, War of the Twins is the second novel in the Legends trilogy, and second, that trilogy is a sequel to the Chronicles trilogy you're reading right now. There's flashbacks and explanations of why Raistlin is how he is, but the full story is told in the spinoff novel Soulforge.

It's fine. If you like what you're reading, it's more of the same, weird Mormon logic and all. I could swear I've read Soulforge but I can not remember a drat thing about it, so buyer beware.

I never read the novel Soulforge, but I did play the game book which came first.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Finished a re-read of Pushing Ice yesterday, immediately started a re-read of House of Suns because nobody does deep time like Alastair Reynolds.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zoracle Zed posted:

is this thread caught in a time loop

A white hole?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Just finished Foe by Iain Reid.

Basic plot is a guy and his wife are living in a rural farmhouse, corporate man shows up and says the guy is getting drafted to go live in space, then comes back to interview the guy to help prepare a perfect AI replica of the guy to live at the house while he’s gone. It gets weird from there. It’s…really loving good.

He also wrote We Spread, which is, kind of body horror SF, but maybe not? its pretty unclear how much of the horror is just because the main character is suffering from dementia

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm reading The Adventures Of Amina al-Sirafi

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just finished up Mickey7, without realizing the thread was on this derail for souls and teleporting and cloning.

The book handles it in a nice way.

I think we are the same after we wake up from sedation cause I saw the original documentary Flatliners and if it was a different person/soul in the body after the near death experience they wouldn't be haunted by the old soul's personal bullshit.

Also, for as much as I thought Mickey7 was going to be some weird Moon ripoff, it's actually fairly unique and horrifying at times.

I discovered a site today the let's you send a DNA sample into space to float through the galaxy, and I thought it'd be cool until I saw the price tag and then realized some alien race might just clone a shitton of me and raise me as cattle for their version of McDonald's and now I just wanna be cremated and left alone on earth. Also they had the option for the moon but nah. I don't wanna take the chance in existing again. This go around has been a shitshow.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

That first Commonweal book was pretty interesting, but the way its written could've been done a little better. I get that the author wants us to piece it together ourselves instead of having exposition dumped onto the reader, but there are scenes that seem like they definitely weren't meant to be confusing and, due to the terseness of the main character, accidentally trick you into thinking there's something there you just don't get. For instance, there's a bit near the big fight midway through where the captain does something to a big metal tube or something made of anti-magic materials and it was such a headscratcher to try and even begin to work out what was even being described. Still, I enjoyed that, unlike a lot of fantasy, it fully considers how society would be utterly changed by readily available magic and portrays leftist political goals with optimism even in the face of overwhelmingly bad odds. Thanks to those who recommended it a few pages back.

On the topic of sci-fi, what are some good books regarding first contact and studying alien life? I liked Speaker for the Dead when I was a teen (dunno if I'd like it as much after what I've learned of Card and a few decades of reading better written stuff than the Ender series), so I'd like something that captures that same general vibe without Card's bullshit.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I finished up The Colour of Magic yesterday. The library gives 48 hour notice for expiring books and I like it when I can complete a book start to finish in that window

anyway, it was good! I actually enjoyed it more than Sourcery. A series of loosely connected adventures seemed to lend itself well to its specific style of humor, very Hitchhiker's Guide-y. You tell a joke, satirize something very specific, then onto the next thing with a new location and a new cast of supporting characters the exact moment you run out of material

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
The very excellent The Library at Mount Char is on sale at Amazon today for $1.99 which is an absolute steal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

I recently finished The Five Daughters of the Moon which is like...a vaguely historical fiction fantasy about the Romanov daughters (the son Alexei got genderswapped into a daughter) with soul magic. Nicholas II doesn't exist. There's an Empress who is married to the Moon (a male god) who is the religious/spiritual father of her daughters who are biologically fathered by whatever convenient general/courtier is politically convenient. The Rasputin analog is of course evil and can mind control people to creepy/horrific effect. The book is novella length and the first half of a duology of novellas and I'm so confused why they didn't just publish the two novellas as a single novel. You get 5 POVs with 2 chapters each in this novella and half the page count is "we're on a train fleeing the capital" and "Celestia has a plan" which is foiled and then the first book just...ends with them arriving at a house somewhere super remote. I don't think it grabbed me enough for me to go on and read the second one but the prose was okay and the soul magic was kind of interesting so if you're into historical fiction this might be your thing?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Whirling posted:

For instance, there's a bit near the big fight midway through where the captain does something to a big metal tube or something made of anti-magic materials and it was such a headscratcher to try and even begin to work out what was even being described.

I don't think anyone other than the author really understands what precisely happened there. And yeah, as one Lets Read put it, the series makes "a heroic, but ultimately unsuccessful attempt at pretending to be written in English." One thing I will say for the series is that the way in which the prose is obtuse varies depending on the pov character!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I don't think anyone other than the author really understands what precisely happened there. And yeah, as one Lets Read put it, the series makes "a heroic, but ultimately unsuccessful attempt at pretending to be written in English." One thing I will say for the series is that the way in which the prose is obtuse varies depending on the pov character!

Yeah its a series I really want to like because of the subject matter and political philosophy, but its too difficult to read.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Ccs posted:

Yeah its a series I really want to like because of the subject matter and political philosophy, but its too difficult to read.

I think you could skip the first book and do 2-3,4 and it would be fine. I only say because I found 2 easier to follow than 1, 5 kind of lost me again.

Edit, forgot the number of books. Thought there were 6.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 17, 2023

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
edit: Commonweal not Commonwealth

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 17, 2023

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

MockingQuantum posted:

I got this from the library last week because of this thread, it's a lot of fun!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Habibi posted:

This is interesting to me, because Hamilton is an author I typically recommend to people as accessible and an easy read.

I'm also now furiously trying to find my copy of Pandora's Star to find that battle scene with the magic tubes referenced above to refresh my memory and see what the heck I made of that passage, if anything.

it's graydon saunders, not hamilton

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Habibi posted:

This is interesting to me, because Hamilton is an author I typically recommend to people as accessible and an easy read.

I'm also now furiously trying to find my copy of Pandora's Star to find that battle scene with the magic tubes referenced above to refresh my memory and see what the heck I made of that passage, if anything.

Commonweal, not Commonwealth.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Hahaha sorry, everybody. I legit thought Commonweal was a typo.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Habibi posted:

Hahaha sorry, everybody. I legit thought Commonweal was a typo.

It's clearly supposed to be commonveal! (Surprisingly though, commonweal at least used to be a word, even if it's arguable if it still is).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OddObserver posted:

It's clearly supposed to be commonveal! (Surprisingly though, commonweal at least used to be a word, even if it's arguable if it still is).

It still is. There's a Scottish pro-independence think tank named Common Weal.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Leng posted:

The very excellent The Library at Mount Char is on sale at Amazon today for $1.99 which is an absolute steal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

I recommend picking up this book.

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer #1) by Robin Hobb - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMG6/

Nightwings by Robert Silverberg - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHW661Q/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

It's high gygaxian

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Doktor Avalanche posted:

it's graydon saunders, not hamilton
hamilton is one of the few people we know isn't a graydon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

Commonweal is also the name of a magazine for liberal Catholics (the few that are left, anyway).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm reading Kushiel's Dart. Back when I was a teenager, I read half of it. Then, on page 347 (out of 901), a HUGE status quo shift hits. Multiple major characters die. Our heroine goes from understanding who she is and where she belongs to being kidnapped and sold into slavery. It's betrayal on the highest order.

As a teenager I read into this, was badly hurt as I was really liking the characters and was shocked by everything, and dropped the book out of distress.

Now, a decade+ later, I'm back to find out what the hell happens. Maybe finish out the trilogy, who knows.

As I read back through these huge events... I have to wonder. I can't think of many other books where the status quo is utterly changed like this. Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge comes to mind - you get a hundred pages into that one, think you're ready for sci-fi mega-corp politicking with your college-age heroine - and BAM everything changes.

But most books tend to stick the big change at the front - Wheel of Time, our hero leaves pretty quickly. Lord of the Rings creeps up on it, and it is sudden for the pace of the book, but none of them hit with the impact Kushiel's Dart had on me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
There is, of course, A Game of Thrones. Although that puts the big surprises at the end of book 1.

I read that loving thing when it was new and before it had much word-of-mouth. Looked like just another big old fantasy epic with all of the expected plot elements, everything getting set up nicely to follow certain patterns we had come to expect, and then the rug gets yanked out from underneath in the last chapters, at least twice.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Groke posted:

There is, of course, A Game of Thrones. Although that puts the big surprises at the end of book 1.

I read that loving thing when it was new and before it had much word-of-mouth. Looked like just another big old fantasy epic with all of the expected plot elements, everything getting set up nicely to follow certain patterns we had come to expect, and then the rug gets yanked out from underneath in the last chapters, at least twice.

Yeah same. I read it just before Storm of Swords came out and it had no real cultural awareness yet. It's just so clear that Ned is going to the Wall and will have a reconciliation with Jon there and together they will save the world and also somehow be vindicated in the south too.

Oops.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I read back through these huge events... I have to wonder. I can't think of many other books where the status quo is utterly changed like this. Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge comes to mind - you get a hundred pages into that one, think you're ready for sci-fi mega-corp politicking with your college-age heroine - and BAM everything changes.

Matt Ruff's Set This House in Order is the first thing that comes to mind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Groke posted:

I think - and forgive me, it's been a decade+ since I read Game of Thrones, I read the first one around the same time I read Kushiel's Dart - and I don't think the big surprises actually got me in the same way they got others, because very VERY early on in the book it takes a child and throws them off a roof and that was the big "what" moment for me. Nothing else came close to that shock after that, though the brutal murder of Daenary's husband got me in the gut. I'm still in awe at how fast teenage me got through books, because I went on to read the next two before getting tired of it all.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

CIRCE by Madeline Miller - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5TLLJ/

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Michael Marshall Smith's Only Forward does a huge twist about 2/3rds through, and as it does mentions a specific date (as in day/month/year) that I happened to be reading it on. It was a bewildering enough coincidence that I sat there with my mouth flapping for a few minutes.

Darwin's Radio (Greg Bear) does a big twist that unfortunately derails things enough that the story really seems to have no point. In fact I think I gave up reading it after the reveal.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah same. I read it just before Storm of Swords came out and it had no real cultural awareness yet. It's just so clear that Ned is going to the Wall and will have a reconciliation with Jon there and together they will save the world and also somehow be vindicated in the south too.

Oops.

Yeah, there is that and then there is the Dothraki situation. Great, this conqueror with his not-Mongol horde is coming to kick some... no, he's dead from some stupid bullshit wound, but okay the author is going for a long game, his son will... no, the baby was stillborn, gently caress. But hey, dragons.

I was on Usenet in those days and this book (and the sequels) did in fact attract rather a lot of attention. (Fan theories like R+L=J came about pretty early. Never mind the greater merman conspiracy theory and so on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, the books were a pretty big hit in the fantasy genre at the time of their release.