Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Baron La Croix posted:

I was trying to figure out where the name Crambon comes from, and I'm pretty sure I've got it.
Kenji Miyazawa's children's story The Wild Pear features two crabs discussing something or someone called "clambon/crambon".
Whatever it is, it's dead at the bottom of the river.

It's a strange and lovely little story.

Either that or he's a fan of Tom and Jerry which would also kinda work with a cat getting messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Steve Yun posted:

The fact that Falling talks makes it less cool than Darkness. What a scrub mistake

Falling is a super human fear while nobody fears darkness because a person might be in it

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Apocron posted:

Violence devil is one I would have considered primal. I wonder how many devil were primal before Chainsawman killed them.

the violence devil in japanese was specifically the gang violence devil or something like that

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Eimi posted:

I could see that working if the speculation that Asa was always War and Yoru is just her mind trying to reconcile that fact ends up being true. Asa wakes up to her true power and we get a touching goodbye for Yoru

If you were to take the that theory then Orphanage lady looks suspiciously like the justice devil showing up a third time to harass Asa for spurious reasons

I could see there being a natural enmity/symbiosis between those two concepts with Justice trying to wake up War to strengthen itself

Or funny enough you could interpret her as Fami doing the same routine of taking something away to try and make Asa stronger

Or maybe it's just that in the chainsaw man world humans just suck and Denji is perfectly correct to be saving cats over people (its probably this)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It really does tickle me that something as simple as "falling" is one of the Primals. It's so simple! A little bit silly! But it works so well

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Space-brain theory: Kobeni is contracted with the Falling Devil.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It’s possible that Blood and Violence are far stronger than we have seen, since we saw them as fiends rather than devils which could be limiting their strength significantly. Power, when becoming her devil form, absolutely hosed up everyone with minimal effort and managed to escape from Makima while stealing Denji. So while I’m doubtful that Blood is a primal fear, she is probably about as close as non-primal non-Chainsaw devils can get. Violence is probably in a similar situation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can’t seem to find any definition for La Root Vonla, but the fan wiki says the Spanish localization calls it something that means “the taste of trauma”

No definition for crambon either

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I can’t seem to find any definition for La Root Vonla, but the fan wiki says the Spanish localization calls it something that means “the taste of trauma”

No definition for crambon either

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1283477&show=100

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Fear of predators should probably be a primal fear. It's what makes movies like jaws so effective since we innately feel fear when confronted with a predator. Fear of predators is the only reference to a primal fear I'd heard of before CSM. :shobon:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goblin week posted:

Falling is a super human fear while nobody fears darkness because a person might be in it

I imagine most animals are scared of falling off a cliff.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I wear glasses and fear they fall off the moment I lean off the balcony

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anyone perfect must be lying
anything easy has its cost
anyone plain can be lovely
anything loved can be lost

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

me rn

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

same. requesting astral make our avatars upside down and at the bottom of our posts for the next two weeks in solidarity with asa mitaka and her current plight

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/VictorBalgitt/status/1635698974991450117

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

im scare

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
how do you guys feel about Falling being much more humanlike compared to Darkness

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

tbp posted:

how do you guys feel about Falling being much more humanlike compared to Darkness

If they were all the same way it'd be really weird

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Das Boo posted:

Here's a thought: Could Asa weaponize that terrible memory itself? She definitely possesses it, it's a source of tremendous guilt... I don't recall if rules of physicality were made clear with her weapon creation power. There's obviously some conceptual wiggle room, as made clear by the aquarium spear.

Her literally weaponizing her trauma would be :discourse:

You can’t really feel guilty about giving up something you can’t remember though

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

tbp posted:

The fear of falling involves the fear of mangled twisted bloodied limp corpses. It’s perfect.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Also to be fair falling literally built a body out of corpses. They might not actually look like that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just find falling devil hot.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, you're falling for them?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Scholtz posted:

So, you're falling for them?

Truly they're the greatest at their job.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Maybe the blood devil being as powerful as it is is why Power was able to be so relatively normal as a fiend.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
It might be the case that it isn't a primal fear and the aesthetic is more for conceptual stuff, or maybe it's like the Doll devil who also grew and made a body out of (essentially) corpses. Maybe the Falling devil is empowered by a primal fear like darkness.

I doubt it myself, but I could see it being a possibility.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

kdrudy posted:

Maybe the blood devil being as powerful as it is is why Power was able to be so relatively normal as a fiend.

I think it was a combo of Makima control (forced pacts and regular blood draining) as well as an overall weakening (becoming a fiend is a last ditch effort that downgrades your power and again blood draining).

My grand unified theory of devil power is total fear of a thing =/= devil power. A really strong fear can still have a devil in a pochita like state. Theoretically any primal could get to that state, and people are still as afraid of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think it was a combo of Makima control (forced pacts and regular blood draining) as well as an overall weakening (becoming a fiend is a last ditch effort that downgrades your power and again blood draining).

My grand unified theory of devil power is total fear of a thing =/= devil power. A really strong fear can still have a devil in a pochita like state. Theoretically any primal could get to that state, and people are still as afraid of it.

I think every devil should eventually show their critter state in the manga

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Aww dang, we're gonna be left hanging for two weeks?

Das Boo posted:

Space-brain theory: Kobeni is contracted with the Falling Devil.

My headcanon is Kobeni is contracted with some crazy poo poo like the failure devil in a way that it can just take over completely. What she truly fears is the things it will make her do and succeed at, but most of the time it just likes to sit back and watch.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 16, 2023

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mirror of Aki and the Future Devil except it just laughs at all the misfortune for the rest of her life after getting a peak.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

yeah also devils can get stronger by eating the flesh of stronger devils. thats probably how pochita got so strong in the first place, we know he ate some really hosed up stuff

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

cuntman.net posted:

yeah also devils can get stronger by eating the flesh of stronger devils. thats probably how pochita got so strong in the first place, we know he ate some really hosed up stuff

I’m really hung up on the idea that Pochita is an extinction devil and didn’t occur to me until now that maybe he ate the extinction devil and took its powers

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Needed the power-up to go after the rainforest devil.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pochita ate the Sliced Bread Devil but liked it so much he chose not to erase it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7210815632911207723

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ranzear posted:

Aww dang, we're gonna be left hanging for two weeks?

My headcanon is Kobeni is contracted with some crazy poo poo like the failure devil in a way that it can just take over completely. What she truly fears is the things it will make her do and succeed at, but most of the time it just likes to sit back and watch.

This would kind of make sense because I don't think she's actually succeeded at anything, has she? Even when she's being competent. When she holds snake lady at knife point, they capture her; but snake eats her. She manages to save Denji before that, but the villains still get away. Every time she does well, it's still in a situation where the plan goes bad somehow.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I bet chainsaw man is going to chop this demon in half! Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I've been loving the journey of Asa collecting Ls like she owns a printing press, but at this point I think I'm ready for, and perhaps even need, her to win at something, just once.