Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vox Nihili posted:

QE + high interest rates would definitely be something

urine one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Just do a Venezuela and have government mandated price caps for everything. Then watch all the goods instantly evaporate off the shelves as people buy below cost, the businesses all close and then everyone has nothing but worthless junk money.

Is that capitalism Venezuela or the Venezuela that the CIA did a coup on?

Hang on... I'm getting a message that those are the same Venezuela.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Just do a Venezuela and have government mandated price caps for everything.

Lining up for price caps at Starbucks this summer.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1635629488682991616?s=20

lol that venezuela is at 156%

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

dk2m posted:

we have to come to the conclusion that banks and creditors ARE the problem, and let them collapse and bring back a goods and consumer spending based economy rather than a fictitious debt based one.

but since that won't happen, im really curious to see what will happen

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Hollywood country club wife names tennis pro mistress in letter to members https://pagesix.com/2023/03/16/country-club-wife-names-tennis-pro-mistress-in-letter-to-members/

rich lady mad that club dues dont prevent infidelity

“I’m so sad this happened in my own paradise.”

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
so the banks are kind of doing a bank run on the fed huh

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jokes on them, the fed can't run out of money.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

Lining up for price caps at Starbucks this summer.

"Out of coffee" sign on the first day, closed on the second.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/DCOfficial/status/1635400345336659969?t=l780DjTSjwTa1hEcWUeFZA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GambitL7/status/1635456289877770245?t=Zfk7cbQqls9HIhZrEjwUsw&s=19

https://twitter.com/GambitL7/status/1635457914969128963?t=LKGW3Sku07YvYAa3e_iuGg&s=19

https://twitter.com/FineNDanDee/status/1635481656780881920?t=F0Tpdpo7SP0jfSKo3muXBg&s=19

https://twitter.com/FineNDanDee/status/1635485923134644224?t=Vnd098RwoGneFsCgleEAfA&s=19

https://twitter.com/realtriangulous/status/1635626626988867585?t=PNNp5JfnwhBmpZtK0aU7gQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/realtriangulous/status/1635630215018999808?t=YVh7XRyJsSHcNjQuDThRXg&s=19

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
We wiped out months of QT.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

err posted:

we did it joe

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What's that about three months? Yeah sounds about right.

How long you think it takes to go full Weimar if they refuse to let any company crash and keep raising rates?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If you tell people you can't afford a BMW they just assume you're poor

if you tell people you can't afford an apartment they assume you're mentally ill or on drugs

makes you think

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
While number sleeps, let's enjoy real headlines from Business Insider today:

Venture capitalists have never been more divided, with accusations flying over who killed their beloved bank SVB. How long will the bad blood last?
Venture investors who have worked in the field for decades could not remember a time when there was so much infighting

Panic and recrimination: Inside Silicon Valley's first real financial crisis
A VC Twitter firestorm caused an all-out bank run that led to Silicon Valley Bank's failure. Now startups and VCs are back to supporting the bank

Match Group CEO spent $50,000 on 'Clash of Clans' in 3 months: 'I still look back at that with lots of shame'
While speaking at a dating summit, Bernard Kim, the CEO of Match Group, said the rewards of mobile gaming don't compare to those of online dating

The trailer for the new 'BlackBerry' movie is here and former 'CrackBerry' fans are shocked at how entertaining it looks
"BlackBerry" movie trailer excites nostalgic fans to watch the story of another tech trend that intrigued everyone for a while before disappearing

Peter Thiel said he had $50 million in a personal account at Silicon Valley Bank when it collapsed, despite telling his portfolio companies to pull their money
Some have blamed Thiel for helping to trigger the run on SVB after he told Founders Fund customers to pull deposits from the bank before its collapse

Blackface, booze, and blurred lines at the $2 billion tech firm Rokt
Rokt is billed as a top place to work and says it's on course to go public. But ex-employees paint a dark picture of what it's like to work there

The average bachelorette party now costs $10,800
The average bachelorette party is now a three-day trip complete with extravagant experiences like boat excursions and goat yoga

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

russia, china, and the saudis are going to the only ones to survive the coming hyperinflation lol
president xi... save us

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
though for real hyperflation is going to be so loving bad for anyone under 7 figure networth.

crime's gunna skyrocket worse than leaded brains era because society is like a clogged pittsburg toilet: it overflows from the basement to the attic. there's no actual "class awareness". lovely beaters (owned by other poors) are already the most popular thing to jack right now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sleep with the vicious posted:

While number sleeps, let's enjoy real headlines from Business Insider today:

Venture capitalists have never been more divided, with accusations flying over who killed their beloved bank SVB. How long will the bad blood last?
Venture investors who have worked in the field for decades could not remember a time when there was so much infighting

Panic and recrimination: Inside Silicon Valley's first real financial crisis
A VC Twitter firestorm caused an all-out bank run that led to Silicon Valley Bank's failure. Now startups and VCs are back to supporting the bank

Match Group CEO spent $50,000 on 'Clash of Clans' in 3 months: 'I still look back at that with lots of shame'
While speaking at a dating summit, Bernard Kim, the CEO of Match Group, said the rewards of mobile gaming don't compare to those of online dating

The trailer for the new 'BlackBerry' movie is here and former 'CrackBerry' fans are shocked at how entertaining it looks
"BlackBerry" movie trailer excites nostalgic fans to watch the story of another tech trend that intrigued everyone for a while before disappearing

Peter Thiel said he had $50 million in a personal account at Silicon Valley Bank when it collapsed, despite telling his portfolio companies to pull their money
Some have blamed Thiel for helping to trigger the run on SVB after he told Founders Fund customers to pull deposits from the bank before its collapse

Blackface, booze, and blurred lines at the $2 billion tech firm Rokt
Rokt is billed as a top place to work and says it's on course to go public. But ex-employees paint a dark picture of what it's like to work there

The average bachelorette party now costs $10,800
The average bachelorette party is now a three-day trip complete with extravagant experiences like boat excursions and goat yoga

Great to see more AI written content being published.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Excuse me what the gently caress is goat yoga

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slavvy posted:

the goats climb on the yoga people.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the goats climb on the yoga people.

i understand what the goats are getting out of it, but why are the people participating?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

i understand what the goats are getting out of it, but why are the people participating?

signifier of wealth and class most likely.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Donkey shows for zoomers.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

thechosenone posted:

What's that about three months? Yeah sounds about right.

How long you think it takes to go full Weimar if they refuse to let any company crash and keep raising rates?

Don’t know why these posts is what made me personally connect the dots.

If inflation is too many employed poor people. And those at the top (who own all the stocks in companies) are systematically prevented from losing any significant amount of wealth. How can enough companies have a large enough losses to lay off significant portions of their workforce?

Wouldn’t that mean that lots of important people lost a lot of money? Isn’t that an inherent contradiction at this point in time?

I get that there will be small waves of layoffs to juice stock prices at various points. But they will be small and uncoordinated. So there will usually be somewhere for those people to land.

Am I missing something, or have I just caught up with the rest of the posters here?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orvin posted:

Don’t know why these posts is what made me personally connect the dots.

If inflation is too many employed poor people. And those at the top (who own all the stocks in companies) are systematically prevented from losing any significant amount of wealth. How can enough companies have a large enough losses to lay off significant portions of their workforce?

Wouldn’t that mean that lots of important people lost a lot of money? Isn’t that an inherent contradiction at this point in time?

I get that there will be small waves of layoffs to juice stock prices at various points. But they will be small and uncoordinated. So there will usually be somewhere for those people to land.

Am I missing something, or have I just caught up with the rest of the posters here?

we're forming a narrative, we're not doing the work

Frosted Flake posted:

Bernie Sanders is a coward you say? Without the convictions to see things through as we enter a period of crisis? Who believes in liberal notions of sacrifice as something to be avoided instead of how a people renew themselves?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean significant layoffs combined with not letting companies fail would be even worse since production would decrease. Everyone gaining in lockstep wouldn't be as bad as that.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

err posted:

pretty good results for the group chat

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

just logged in today and saw that another bank is getting bailed out. so is it just going to be whackamole bailouts for the rest of the year or do the bank failures finally get out of control?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
doesn’t matter BMW hasn’t made a good car since 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

thechosenone posted:

I mean significant layoffs combined with not letting companies fail would be even worse since production would decrease. Everyone gaining in lockstep wouldn't be as bad as that.

im convinced that's a solid view of whats happening under the hood.

Delta-Wye posted:

this is probably true, it's too much money chasing too few goods and services

not a single anti-inflationary measure ive seen describes a path towards increasing production, just towards subsidizing some folks (lol) and selectively increasing economic pain for other folks (lmao) while the problem worsens

if our productive capacity keeps dropping as a result of trade wars, actual war resulting in retooling, layoffs, whatever, the problem deepens. its a death spiral and noone in charge is even hinting they're looking in this direction

edit: i can sleep well at night knowing that the rich wont be impacted. maybe that will even be me someday!

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
please president xi, cut off trade and end this pitiful experiment we call an empire

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

like, gently caress you lmao. what are you talking about?! for what? what am I supposed to be living for?!

SK: why are our youth suicides skyrocketing, we can't think of anything

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

just logged in today and saw that another bank is getting bailed out. so is it just going to be whackamole bailouts for the rest of the year or do the bank failures finally get out of control?

Even better- bailouts for the rest of all time. There's pretty much no way to walk back "all deposits are insured completely" without blowing absolutely everything up in completely disastrous ways

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I thought the bank wasn't a systemic risk
https://twitter.com/SeidlerCorp/status/1636518949872451584?t=scnMYT8ACs8BP1QiTF2P0g&s=19

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

it really was the bear stearns

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Its cool that other countries also have insanely stupid and undemocratic rules to magic up laws, just like America

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1636368220436176896

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of companies that were never ever profitable and operated entirely off vc capital rounds didn't produce anything to begin with, unless apps that let you rate dog haircuts or yet another food delivery app were supposed to be economic bedrocks.

A fair bit of emperor without clothes before this all settles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Look, the tech bro banks had a contagion and were giving other banks the runs. How is this hard to understand?