Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Look at that Nami in a shirt, I miss the pre-timeskip designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyone that forgot about Luffy calling Kaku Usopp isn't a true fan tbh

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Good ch.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

jassa posted:

One thing I appreciated about this chapter was how it clarified what the WG know about Vegapunk's activities, and why such a huge force was already enroute and/or being mobilised. Reading between the lines, it seems like Saturn will be very hands-on during the operation. He's not just there to issue orders to the seraphim & pacifista, his primary directive will be to mitigate the spread of inconvenient truths by any means necessary - including the annihilation of friendly troops and agents who are exposed to that knowledge.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lucci, Kaku and Stussy have already been written off as compromised and expelled from Cipher Pol due to how long they've been in sustained contact with the enemy. Especially since they've gone radio silent too.

CP0 and all the kidnapped agents are going to end up forming another faction for the "bigger than marineford" clusterfuck Oda's said he has planned

York is... actually not a surprise really. Least characterization of any of the vegapunks and would've guess her over Atlas if the perification hadn't happened

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Wellwinds posted:

CP0 and all the kidnapped agents are going to end up forming another faction for the "bigger than marineford" clusterfuck Oda's said he has planned
Said it months ago, will say it again - I bet Oda invented Cross Guild so that he could group all the misfit supporting characters together under one banner. Lucci and Kaku for Cross Guild 2025, believe it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Said it months ago, will say it again - I bet Oda invented Cross Guild so that he could group all the misfit supporting characters together under one banner. Lucci and Kaku for Cross Guild 2025, believe it.

That's the perfect home for them. I'm 100% on board with this theory.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cross Guild is basically a hangout for characters who lost to Luffy and are too prideful to admit they admire him now

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think paulie is going to join

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I wonder if is going to be revealed that Sanji has Lunarian blood or genes. His use of fire without getting hurt, then when S-Shark tried to punch him in this chapter it looked like he still had flames around him.

I like the idea of the CP-O agents joining Crossguild. Either that or the renegade Marines form their own faction because they aren't satisfied with the World Government. You have Smoker, Tashigi, Kuzan and Fujitora (to a lesser extent). I'm sure I am missing a few.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/lulikekid/status/1636599717932187650?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Law should definitely be Blossom (smarts), Luffy Bubbles (joy and the laughter) and Kidd Buttercup (toughest/violent fighter) though. They need to be rotate one to the left in this image basically.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Lord_Magmar posted:

Law should definitely be Blossom (smarts), Luffy Bubbles (joy and the laughter) and Kidd Buttercup (toughest/violent fighter) though. They need to be rotate one to the left in this image basically.

Counterpoint: Blossom is the leader. Therefore Luffy.

Law and Kidd can fight for the scraps.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Desumaytah posted:

Counterpoint: Blossom is the leader. Therefore Luffy.

Law and Kidd can fight for the scraps.

She barely can control the other two but comes up with the plans and watches as they're ignored anyway. Absolutely Law.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Calling that by the end of the arc Saturn ends up an unwitting hostage on the Straw Hat's ship (the straw hats didnt mean to kidnap him but they do, accidentally) and that is the Egghead Incident

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

mabels big day posted:

Calling that by the end of the arc Saturn ends up an unwitting hostage on the Straw Hat's ship (the straw hats didnt mean to kidnap him but they do, accidentally) and that is the Egghead Incident

My prediction is not only will one (or more) of the Vegapunks escape with the Strawhats, but they'll be instrumental in revealing some extremely inconvenient truths (such as Imu's existence) to the world, either by transponder snail or via Morgans. In response to this, Imu/Elders will reach their tipping point, and will start implementing plans for a second void century.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m assuming the reason why the WG goes to such extreme lengths to bury the Void Century is because their reign is illegitimate and they are themselves invaders/conquerors (which also might tie into why the Celestial Dragons are above all laws)

Once the truth comes out I imagine a lot of people are gonna start jumping over to Luffy’s side (Smoker and I think Garp already aren’t big fans of how the government does things).

Plus the large majority of the world hates the Celestial Dragons (for good reason) and would turn on them in a second if they were given the chance, as evidenced by what happened when Doffy’s father tried to leave the group

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 18, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mabels big day posted:

I'm leading towards Saturn dying. Hence the 'Infamous Egg Head Incident'.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m assuming the reason why the WG goes to such extreme lengths to bury the Void Century is because their reign is illegitimate and they are themselves invaders/conquerors (which also might tie into why the Celestial Dragons are above all laws)

Once the truth comes out I imagine a lot of people are gonna start jumping over to Luffy’s side (Smoker and I think Garp already aren’t big fans of how the government does things).

Plus the large majority of the world hates the Celestial Dragons (for good reason) and would turn on them in a second if they were given the chance, as evidenced by what happened when Doffy’s father tried to leave the group

I'm pretty sure most of the world doesn't think about the Celestial Dragons at all. Remember, Luffy didn't even know they existed. Most people who live somewhere close enough to Marie Geoise for Celestial Dragons to visit occasionally hate them, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the world doesn't think about the Celestial Dragons at all. Remember, Luffy didn't even know they existed. Most people who live somewhere close enough to Marie Geoise for Celestial Dragons to visit occasionally hate them, though.

Ah right, forgot they weren’t all that well known by the general public

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I imagine most of them know because of the Tribute major nations have to give to the Dragons. The Reverie also always makes news and that takes palce on Marie Geoise and everything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Luffy is just an idiot I think.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Luffy is just an idiot I think.

Some other characters also seem to be unfamiliar with them. I think we see one of Dadan's mountain bandits mention "some bigwigs called the Celestial Dragons" or something like that. And didn't Bonney have to explain who they were to Zoro?

Their existence isn't a secret, obviously, but they're probably not something most people (especially in places like East Blue) think very much about.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's sort of ambiguous if the average person even know the Elder Stars are a thing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i could see luffy letting himself get captured, which incites the next global war

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Some other characters also seem to be unfamiliar with them. I think we see one of Dadan's mountain bandits mention "some bigwigs called the Celestial Dragons" or something like that. And didn't Bonney have to explain who they were to Zoro?

Their existence isn't a secret, obviously, but they're probably not something most people (especially in places like East Blue) think very much about.

Not spoiling because I have completely lost track of how this relates to the latest chapter:

In the world of One Piece a lot of characters are ignorant of a lot of fundamental things about their world, but that's not super weird considering many of our characters aren't exactly well educated. It's like you had a story about a bunch of street punks in the real world who were like, "huh, what's the UN security council?" when it became relevant to their antics.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Eiba posted:

Not spoiling because I have completely lost track of how this relates to the latest chapter:

In the world of One Piece a lot of characters are ignorant of a lot of fundamental things about their world, but that's not super weird considering many of our characters aren't exactly well educated. It's like you had a story about a bunch of street punks in the real world who were like, "huh, what's the UN security council?" when it became relevant to their antics.

characters live on literal islands and the only way to transfer info are phones which like only a select few people have or get it from the newspaper. it takes several days to travel from place to place and in many circumstances you cannot even go directly to a new island without a special tool. a huge amount of the population seemingly lives in decentralized corners of the sea in small villages, whereas most nations seem to be islands. the only time the leaders of nation seem to directly communicate or come in contact with each other is like once every 5 years when they take a several week/month long trip to a special location for three days where they are overseen by a fascist regime lol

information not spreading quickly is extremely natural to the world of OP regardless of how educated characters as.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

I agree with this, at least in the case of these sorts of political things.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If Zoro doesn’t know something it’s safe to assume that most of the rest of the world does

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Eiba posted:

NGL laughing hard at the idea of a series about a bunch of random street punks doing minor crime and eventually escallating into a point where they're wondering 'uuuh guys what's the 'I C C'? what's a war crime exactly? is that like uuuh, bad for us or something?' 'man i just wanted to pay my moms hospital bills, what the gently caress is all this poo poo'

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 19, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is out https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015813

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yes it is and boy o boy that 7 day wait hurts
I'll bring it up here too
https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2696011001001
The one piece card game prices are outta wack but man some of the cards like this are nice
Ships in November

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 19, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Yes but consider you have access to:
Raw spoilers
Raws
lovely Translation
Good Translation
Official Translation

:yarr:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Upsidads posted:

I'll bring it up here too
https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2696011001001
The one piece card game prices are outta wack but man some of the cards like this are nice
Ships in November
I need to own this card

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Given that the seraphims are not listening to the Satellites, one of them has to be the traitor. It would also explain why the Stella is locked up, so the command cannot be overridden. (I think having a command structure such that a command cannot be overwritten by someone of equal authority has some massive drawbacks; if network admins and IT had to deal with that kind of command structure, a lot more things would be broken.)

I feel like the current conflict could have been avoided if there was a sensible command hierarchy in place.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So I think this is how the pieces fit together:

York decides she wants to betray Vegapunk so she can become a celestial dragon. She rats on him to the world government, but when CP-5 shows up to ascertain for themselves, she captures them so the WG can't investigate without negotiating with her. She continues to do that to the other CP agents until she contacts the WG again, and this time gets in contact with the Gorosei directly. So, she negotiates this deal with them, and it seems like all will go smoothly.

The Gorosei, I think, had no plans to actually make her a Celestial Dragon, and sent CP-0 to kill them all, including York. Kaku and Lucci had absolutely no knowledge about her making any sort of deal, so if everything had gone according to plan, York would have been killed along with the rest of them.

With the Straw Hats unexpectedly showing up, they were actually able to stop CP-0 and recover the seraphim. What I'm guessing here is that York had to adjust her plan at this point when she realized that the government was just going to try and kill her too, so she took command of the seraphim to eliminate the other Punks, CP-0, and the Straw Hats. Then, she would kidnap Stella and directly offer him to the World Government so she can guarantee her position as a Celestial Dragon. That's the best reason I can think of to keep Stella alive from her perspective.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat Machine posted:

I need to own this card

It's time to bring him back Oda

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Len posted:

It's time to bring him back Oda

It would absoluty rule if at some point the Strawhats were being harassed again by Crocodile only to have Bon Clay come to their assistance at a pivotal moment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not necessarily the most complex plan, but at each step the relevant people had no choice but to act accordingly. the only things she needed were knowledge of the people involved, seraphim control rights, and to not get caught or suspected. in other words, things she already had.

york makes an anonymous accusation such that the wg is obliged to send people to investigate. but then they all disappeared! this makes it obvious that vegapunk has turned against us! the next step is to simply kill him as they'd prefer to keep egghead island intact. at this point the straw hats arrive, so the order gets a little messed up. but without the straw hats, cp-0 comes and fails anyway, because vegapunk could have simply hid out in his bunker. but then the defenses were disabled, so vegapunk now has no choice but to use the seraphim and escalate matters. with the seraphim in play, the obligatory next step is for the wg to send in someone who can override vegapunk's control. meanwhile, york separates vegapunk from the seraphim and uses them to take control of the island. the straw hats are actually a major stumbling block here, as she can't take control unless the seraphim win. that's what york's plan has been building toward- take control of the island, kill all of her peers, bring an elder to her. oh, and steal the database, though the reason for that is unclear. as for what comes next? no clue.

i think it is basically just a big fight from now until the elder arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

On a reread one thing I noticed was that York contacts the WG twice. First she just says Vegapunk is studying the Void Century. CP5, CP7 and CP8 come and disappear, investigating that vague claim, and then she asks to speak to those in charge and there is a "discussion" with the Gorosei, after which CP0 is dispatched along with everything else that's coming.

I had assumed she was just provoking the Government and was going to make a deal or do something with science when they showed up, but it is possible that she's already made her deal like people were saying.

The only odd thing about that is Lucci explicitly confirmed that their orders were to eliminate all the Vegapunks, no exceptions. So CP0 wasn't in on the deal if it included amnesty for York.