Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiggy posted:

Before doing chapter 13 in FF15 I thought everyone was exaggerating on how much of a slog it is. Now that I'm starting chapter 14 oh man it was so much worse and I'm sure I would have quit the game if I had played it at launch.

XV is one of those games where I can say I like it...with an asterisk. It has so many problems. It's not getting any better, I'm afraid. There's like two good moments ahead of you and that's about it.

Be sure to show us what photo you chose, by the way. You'll know what I mean.

Another reason I need tor replay XV is I could actually run it at non-awful resolution and experience it in all its prettiness and smoothness.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

So I got the FFVIII mod to work but on the topic of FF battle themes...FFIX is kind of weak, you know? After Decisive Battle, Those Who Fight Further, and Force Your Way (being reminded of how great it is by replaying VIII), IX's boss theme feels so generic. It's not bad, just not unbelievably awesome and getting me pumped up.

Honestly, the boss themes starting with FF3 were so drat good. IV's was even better. So I'd just ay FF3-8 but I don't remember V's boss theme. Point is, IX kinda lets me down here.

I remember with Crisis Core and OWA getting another remix I was annoyed that Sephiroth's actual theme song was so forgotten. It's such a perfect song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tlqukSn5U

At least the remake remembered it.

Wtf are you on about, IX's boss theme fucken slaps. The only problem is having to listen to it so long while trying to steal.

And the best FF7 final boss theme is Jenova Absolute.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TTBF posted:

I just watched Advent Children and it's gotta be that.

edit: I'm going through the numbered Final Fantasies and am done with 1-7 and am on disc 2 of 8 but I am not enjoying it. I'm thinking of tapping out and just moving onto 9. I'm at the part where the Garden crashed into a fishing village. I'm really not enjoying either the gameplay or the story. The story is especially aggravating because I have no clue what's going on except that there's tons of ~secrets~ I'm not privy to. Am I near a point where the game or story gets better?

I don't know if "better" is the right word, but it certainly goes places

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TTBF posted:

I just watched Advent Children and it's gotta be that.

edit: I'm going through the numbered Final Fantasies and am done with 1-7 and am on disc 2 of 8 but I am not enjoying it. I'm thinking of tapping out and just moving onto 9. I'm at the part where the Garden crashed into a fishing village. I'm really not enjoying either the gameplay or the story. The story is especially aggravating because I have no clue what's going on except that there's tons of ~secrets~ I'm not privy to. Am I near a point where the game or story gets better?
Drop it if the first disc isn't doing it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Agents are GO! posted:

Wtf are you on about, IX's boss theme fucken slaps. The only problem is having to listen to it so long while trying to steal.

And the best FF7 final boss theme is Jenova Absolute.

FF9’s boss theme does indeed slap. All of the mainline boss themes are good, IMO. I’m partial to FF8 and FF12, but they all slap

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

NikkolasKing posted:

XV is one of those games where I can say I like it...with an asterisk. It has so many problems. It's not getting any better, I'm afraid. There's like two good moments ahead of you and that's about it.

Another reason I need tor replay XV is I could actually run it at non-awful resolution and experience it in all its prettiness and smoothness.

I ended up going with the one with the bros posing in front of the Regalia. The final boss fight going full on DBZ was fun, but I was kind of ready for the game to be over by the time I finished the Leviathan section. I don't want to be overly critical- it has a great start and I really liked the themes of friendship and responsibility. Overall not a great Final Fantasy but still a decent game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The middle/exploration portion of the game is definitely the strongest. I think Chapter 14 is fine, but Altissia and the Empire sections definitely feel bogged down. Altissia itself isn't terrible but there's not a lot to actually do and the boss fight isn't even really a boss fight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NikkolasKing posted:

Always the picture of Cindy’s tits

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiggy posted:

I ended up going with the one with the bros posing in front of the Regalia. The final boss fight going full on DBZ was fun, but I was kind of ready for the game to be over by the time I finished the Leviathan section. I don't want to be overly critical- it has a great start and I really liked the themes of friendship and responsibility. Overall not a great Final Fantasy but still a decent game.

I was also very much ready for the game to be over by the final string of fights. I had watched a Let's Play of XV beforehand from years ago, done by the TippingForties crew of FFX LP fame, and they had beaten the game before some stuff was added so I didn't know there were even more fights at the end. All the spirits of past Kings or whatever coming to fight was totally new.

I hope Kuvo and them show up to LP FFXVI.

jokes posted:

Always the picture of Cindy’s tits

Also a good choice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I sucked it up and bought FFX/X-2, FF12, and FF15 (and dq11s, even though I'm still assmad about delisting the old game with no upgrade path) on steam since it seems like even if I waited it's highly unlikely they'll ever drop in price further, much to my frustration.

FF15 mostly because, I wanted it on steam to begin with, and I already beat the main story but not the DLC on PS4, while I could have played that there, I'd rather play it on the steam deck where I don't have to fuss with crap inconsistent fps like I did even on a PS4 pro, and I get to take it on the go. I never finished FFX (got to the calm lands as a kid and got bored), and FF12 I keep losing steam on, not sure why. (DQ11 I stopped playing once I heard the switch was getting a remaster, so held out for the PC version...)

FF15 pocket would be nice to have on steam but, even today it seems it's only on the microsoft store, for some stupid reason.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wait you can pick a picture other than the cup noodle one? They let you do that?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DQ11 is probably the best game out of the bunch

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

:mods:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goethe.cx posted:

yeah

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
XV feels like a game where they were having fun making it, lost track of time, and realized they still had to make like half the game real quick before deadline. There are just so many story threads that are developed/resolved off-screen, and suddenly a bunch of build-up to various things just vanishes so that the story can go in a different direction.

I don't even really mind most of the on-rails sections, but they should have led back into the open world at some point. And getting an actual world of ruin for longer than a brief story beat could have been interesting.

Everything up to the boat is fantastic, though. But even the boat is in a weird place since they give the distinct impression that once you can drive around on the boat yourself, you'll be able to go to more places.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HPanda posted:

XV feels like a game where they were having fun making it, lost track of time, and realized they still had to make like half the game real quick before deadline. There are just so many story threads that are developed/resolved off-screen, and suddenly a bunch of build-up to various things just vanishes so that the story can go in a different direction.

I don't even really mind most of the on-rails sections, but they should have led back into the open world at some point. And getting an actual world of ruin for longer than a brief story beat could have been interesting.

Everything up to the boat is fantastic, though. But even the boat is in a weird place since they give the distinct impression that once you can drive around on the boat yourself, you'll be able to go to more places.

Iirc, it went through some total reworks or something and welp had to crunch out the back half.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HPanda posted:

I felt that Leviathan was the last truly great part of the game. It had a lot of proper build, a lot of big important poo poo happened, and then...breakneck pacing doesn't even begin to describe the next few chapters. It just feels like huge chunks of game re missing. As you said, they had a cool, casual pace, then it was suddenly FFXIII.

Speaking of which, let's get something straight - FFXV could have used a Datalog. Datalogs are good. Xenosaga had one, too. As long as you don't shove pivotal information in it and nowhere else, they're fine. FFXV has such huge breaks away from the plot, I wouldn't be surprised if most gamers forgot all the lore immediately.

Or, to use my preferred dream method, bring Maechen back as the new Gilgamesh, only he shows up in each game to spit deeplore at people. You cannot deny that the image of Noct and friends driving along the road, then they see Maechen at the side of the road, and are like "pull over, we gotta learn about the Astrals" - is awesome.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 20, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Even post-production had issues and resulted in us missing out on 2 of the proposed DLCs.

Really though, almost every post-X mainline FF had some development issues, not sure about XIII.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You’re given the task of making a movie out of a several year old mess of footage of a half-filmed script. There’s massive chunks missing, so you basically staple it together with title cards explaining the parts that aren’t there. You might get some extra budget to kinda film an ending. But that’s it.

That’s basically what happened with XV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Even post-production had issues and resulted in us missing out on 2 of the proposed DLCs.

Really though, almost every post-X mainline FF had some development issues, not sure about XIII.

XIII probably wouldnt have released when it did if they hadn't promised a playable demo as a preorder bonus for advent children complete blu ray. The battle system was iirc effectively built between that announcement and the release of the bluray and then the entire thing polished off and finished since it released that same year.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

XIII probably wouldnt have released when it did if they hadn't promised a playable demo as a preorder bonus for advent children complete blu ray. The battle system was iirc effectively built between that announcement and the release of the bluray and then the entire thing polished off and finished since it released that same year.

Yeah, FFXIII having one of the best battle systems in an FF game is shocking considering they had months to go from having just mock-ups of a really flashy and active battle system to effectively having the majority of the core of the final battle system done and packaged with the Advent Children demo.

That said, it's going to be weird seeing FFXVI and for the first time in two decades have a Final Fantasy game pushed out the door in a form that isn't wildly unfinished. We haven't had that with a main numbered title since, what, I guess technically XI? (I remember hearing the game was slim on content at launch, but not in a 'we didn't finish' kind of way, more 'we're new at this MMO thing and WoW hadn't hit yet to greatly increase the size and scope of MMO content yet' way.) It's wild thinking that the last twenty years of Final Fantasy have all been shoved-out-the-door development disasters of a size and scope that would have killed most lesser franchises- and probably would have killed FF if not for some quality side games and the XIV relaunch going gangbusters. I mean, I guess Sonic has had more or less the same trajectory and it's still here too, so I guess FF is in some good(?) company.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ff12 did not seem shoved out the door at release imo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII is massive and really polished which is why the there's such a massive contrast going from almost open world FFXII to FFXIII

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What I appreciated the most about FF12 is how immersive and alive the cities and towns were. The world felt realistic and lived in, none of the single player Final Fantasy games that came after it have had this feeling. FF13, you didn't feel any weight to the world at all because there were no towns really, and no real idea of where you were in relation to the rest of the world, I actually didn't learn until very recently that FF13 takes place across multiple worlds. This is maybe explained in some text, but visually you are never really shown this. Its the worst Final Fantasy world that Square has come up with.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This isn't a perfect analogy but I always saw the first 4 consoles' worth of mainline games as falling into roughly the same sequence:

-First entry on a new console which is a bit rough around the edges where they haven't quite figured out the new system yet, but still amazing at the time considering what came before
-Followed by a bit more experimental of a game, which breaks the pattern a little bit in mechanics or story, but it still works
-The third game is really polished since they've managed to figure out the capabilities of the system, which they also push a bit, but also fall back a bit on a safer formula in terms of gameplay/story

FFV is probably the game that fits this the least but you can really see, especially in the 3d games, the progression with the capabilities of the console.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really obvious there's 2 different worlds in FFXIII.

I do not particularly like the game but even when I was only half paying attention to the story and ended up quitting halfway one of the things that got through was that there were two planets, Cocoon and Pulse.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 20, 2023

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
FF13 is just the planet Pulse and Cocoon though. And Cocoon itself is practically a giant colony with multiple ecosystems.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I remember feeling like FF12 was pushing the limits of what the PS2 could do. I don't know how true that actually was, but there was definitely some awe coming from me when I first sat down to play it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kyoujin posted:

Love how the whole party dunks on Wakka for this.

Do they, really? Because from what I remember:

- Lulu, Kimahri and Yuna don't say anything, mostly because it'd be awkward if Wakka figured out Yuna's heritage. In the snowmobile cutscene, Lulu even tries to excuse it with "sorry he's having a racist moment, but there's totally a reason for it"
- Auron's all business and has no patience for anything that delays the pilgrimage.
- Rikku puts up with it because she wants to be there to protect Yuna.
- Tidus was the only one to really challenge Wakka, but it was more "dude. your religion sucks" and less "dude, you're a racist and you suck."

It just felt to me that they treat Wakka as the racist relative in a family dinner. You just try to talk around the Al Bhed or else risk hearing another racist rant.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

I remember feeling like FF12 was pushing the limits of what the PS2 could do. I don't know how true that actually was, but there was definitely some awe coming from me when I first sat down to play it.

Oh it is, especially with not much lag

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst part about FF12 is that there isn’t more of it.

Also the great crystal, that’s also the worst part.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's really obvious there's 2 different worlds in FFXIII.

I do not particularly like the game but even when I was only half paying attention to the story and ended up quitting halfway one of the things that got through was that there were two planets, Cocoon and Pulse.

The people who have the biggest criticisms of FFXIII tend to have no media literacy or must have skipped cutscenes or something. I too don't think that highly of the game but the number of people who don't understand the most basic premises of the setting I've run into online are staggering.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crisis Core is a lot more fun than I remember it being on the ol' PSP but the roulette wheel is still pretty silly. It just feels like they overdesigned the hell out of it to get around the PSP's limitations and it probably should've been cut completely from the remaster given the new combat system.

I'm really enjoying the bite size mission format though. Easy to jump into for 20 minutes and resolve some conflicts.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

stev posted:

Crisis Core is a lot more fun than I remember it being on the ol' PSP but the roulette wheel is still pretty silly. It just feels like they overdesigned the hell out of it to get around the PSP's limitations and it probably should've been cut completely from the remaster given the new combat system.

I'm really enjoying the bite size mission format though. Easy to jump into for 20 minutes and resolve some conflicts.

I liked the flavor text for the missions. My favorite was the SOLDIER vs normal security guards mission chain and one of the final missions just goes 'Yeah, they're bringing heavy mechs to this. Yeah, this is totally cheating. It won't make a difference.'

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I said come in! posted:

What I appreciated the most about FF12 is how immersive and alive the cities and towns were. The world felt realistic and lived in, none of the single player Final Fantasy games that came after it have had this feeling. FF13, you didn't feel any weight to the world at all because there were no towns really, and no real idea of where you were in relation to the rest of the world, I actually didn't learn until very recently that FF13 takes place across multiple worlds. This is maybe explained in some text, but visually you are never really shown this. Its the worst Final Fantasy world that Square has come up with.

FF15 does an okay job with that, though it really only has two big cities and one of them is after a point of no return. The flip is that because of the roadtrip style you're not running into a lot of people out in the wild outside of outposts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

goethe.cx posted:

For putting me to sleep

Wait, not with that music playing at the time lol

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Question for anyone who has gotten to the end of the MSQ in ffxiv and also owns final bar line: are there any real plot spoilers in the ffxiv FBL stages? eg: a character that makes a heel turn in the ffxiv story appearing as a fbl boss?

I’m still playing through Stormblood but I’m digging these tracks and starting to move past where I’ve played. Wonder if I should wait til I’ve cleared endwalker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
none that I could see, I was just chopping through summon monsters for half the songs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FART BOSS posted:

? eg: a character that makes a heel turn in the ffxiv story appearing as a fbl boss?

Exactly that actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FART BOSS posted:

Question for anyone who has gotten to the end of the MSQ in ffxiv and also owns final bar line: are there any real plot spoilers in the ffxiv FBL stages? eg: a character that makes a heel turn in the ffxiv story appearing as a fbl boss?

I’m still playing through Stormblood but I’m digging these tracks and starting to move past where I’ve played. Wonder if I should wait til I’ve cleared endwalker.

There's a boss from Stormblood post-patch MSQ as one of the bosses, but I don't think the Shadowbringer tracks spoil anything offhand. It doesn't get to Endwalker songs.