Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

But my answer is geographically simpler: we follow the daylight. Consider the earth a 2D thing, with the edge being the international dateline. We go east to west.
Widespread usage of (formalized) timezones and the international dateline are much newer than referring to Europe as "Western civilization" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It is with a weird sense of trepidation that I suggest trying something.

Next time you have a question, ask ChatGPT, as well as here, and see how it goes.

I, and I'm sure many others, specifically enjoy the human element of threads like this, and of art and poetry and story-telling, and am not wild about loosing that. We're entering a new era and we need to get our heads around it pretty quick.

But my answer is geographically simpler: we follow the daylight. Consider the earth a 2D thing, with the edge being the international dateline. We go east to west.

ChatGPT is pretty drat useless for this because of its propensity to 'hallucinate' wrong answers. If you don't know the answer and don't have the skills/knowledge to tell whether its answer is accurate or made-up, it's actually worse than useless thanks to the risk of confidently-incorrect misinformation.

Something like the beta Bing chat or https://www.perplexity.ai/ will work better as their AI-generated answers actually have footnote citations with links which you can click and read through to see whether they actually say the thing the chatbot summarizes them as saying.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’ve been using chatgpt to brainstorm lesson planning and stuff. It also gives really good, concise sets of directions for math things with none of the bullshit seo you get for looking for this stuff on Google or ddg.

Like the other day someone asked me to prep physical activities to explore botanical concepts and like, what the gently caress? But I had some ideas about skits and tag variations and some science things. probing for variations of those ideas went really well and gave me some great poo poo that I was able to tweak to fit the program.

I think this thread sees some pretty important questions sometimes though, not just trivia, and those deserve the kind of certainty that an ai like chatgpt sucks at. Like, I wouldn’t ask it how to pack a parachute, you know?

Don’t ask the thread that either but I would come here before an ai chatbot.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I've been enjoying GPT-3 a lot for brainstorming - like I'll ask if for 10 NPC ideas for a dnd game, they might not be great but it'll get me started.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i asked chatgpt for naruto-themed nicknames to call my boyfriend and all of its ideas were absolute dogshit. 100% recommended

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not saying chatGPT specifically is better than the thread. I'm just saying give it (or perplexity or whatever) a go to see what it can do, for your own edification.

Admittedly I'm a little late to the party, I think cos it creeps me out a little. I hate it when it tries to write like a human. But it certainly seems to have interesting and potentially significant applications.

tuyop posted:

how to pack a parachute

quote:

As an AI language model, I don't have any physical capabilities to demonstrate how to pack a parachute, but I can provide you with some general guidelines on how to pack a parachute properly. Please note that packing a parachute can be a complex and potentially dangerous task, so it's important to seek proper training and certification before attempting to pack a parachute on your own.

Here are some general steps that may be involved in packing a parachute:

1. Lay out the parachute fabric on a clean, flat surface.
2. Inspect the parachute for any damage, such as tears or frayed lines.
3. Fold the canopy of the parachute carefully, making sure that the lines are not tangled or twisted.
4. Place the deployment bag in the center of the folded canopy.
5. Pack the parachute into the deployment bag, making sure that the fabric is neatly and evenly packed to avoid any air pockets.
6. Stow the lines neatly in the bag, ensuring that they are not tangled or twisted.
7. Close the deployment bag securely and attach the pilot chute to the top.
8. Fold the lines neatly and place the parachute in its container.

Again, please keep in mind that packing a parachute can be a serious and complex task. It's important to follow proper training and procedures to ensure that the parachute is packed safely and correctly before use.

I reckon if you went through the thread it'd give an A- answer >85% of the time, especially if you filtered out the obvious things it's not suited for.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I have a very stupid question about LGBTQ terminology: is a non-binary person only gay if they're attracted to other enbies? If they're open to dating only a binary male or a binary female (or both, or open to either) would that make them straight/hetero?

(I'm guessing that the answer is "it depends entirely on the individual, different people identify differently")

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 18, 2023

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
Your guess is right, lots of queer people aren't the dumb teenagers you see on the internet with giant charts of terminologies and endless lists of different categorizations, lots of people are just queer and that's fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

I have a very stupid question about LGBTQ terminology: is a non-binary person only gay if they're attracted to other enbies? If they're open to dating only a binary male or a binary female (or both, or open to either) would that make them straight/hetero?

(I'm guessing that the answer is "it depends entirely on the individual, different people identify differently")

It depends entirely on the individual; different people identify differently.

“A non-binary person is only gay if they're attracted to other enbies” is an unusual idea that only really makes sense if you think of “non‐binary” as a third gender, which it isn’t.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

It depends entirely on the individual; different people identify differently.

“A non-binary person is only gay if they're attracted to other enbies” is an unusual idea that only really makes sense if you think of “non‐binary” as a third gender, which it isn’t.

Gotcha. Thanks. That was more or less the thinking that lead to my question.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ChatGPT is pretty drat useless for this because of its propensity to 'hallucinate' wrong answers. If you don't know the answer and don't have the skills/knowledge to tell whether its answer is accurate or made-up, it's actually worse than useless thanks to the risk of confidently-incorrect misinformation.

Yes, and the Japan/US response is a perfect example.

In the last paragraph it says the US is not in the western part of the world geographically, but it's in the drat western hemisphere

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

"The West" is very much a cultural construct with roughly the same meaning as "majority white population". My favourite example is Morocco, which is located to the west of most of Europe, and whose native name is literally "the west" is not considered a Western country. But New Zealand*, which is so far east that it's commonly omitted from from maps counts as Western.

*If you believe New Zealand is real

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trapick posted:

Widespread usage of (formalized) timezones and the international dateline are much newer than referring to Europe as "Western civilization" though.
Europe is in the west if you think of Jerusalem as the center of the world. I think that was the really early point of reference for christian maps.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

"The West" is very much a cultural construct with roughly the same meaning as "majority white population".

that also depends on the context. Russia and countries within its sphere of influence will often set themselves apart from "the West" even though they are mostly countries with a majority white population.

during the Cold War for example, Greece was considered part of "the West" even though geographically it is to the east of many countries that were not, at the time, considered part of "the West".

sometimes the term is broadly about "western civilization" and sometimes it's more political about about NATO vs Warsaw Pact conflict even though the latter no longer exists. see Putin's usage of the term in all recent political contexts for example. and well before that, there was a division between the western and eastern Roman empires, churches, etc.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 18, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Earwicker posted:

that also depends on the context. Russia and countries within its sphere of influence will often set themselves apart from "the West" even though they are mostly countries with a majority white population.

This is actually one of the reasons I have a passing interest in Russia and central Asia, the culture is not quite western and not quite eastern and some of it is DEFINITIVELY "eastern European", but some of it is more central Asian.

I haven't read much about this so maybe I'm talking out of my rear end though

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is there some kind of archive somewhere that I can read old issues of the Nintendo Power magazine?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've seen a torrent of them before.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Leave posted:

Is there some kind of archive somewhere that I can read old issues of the Nintendo Power magazine?

https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower1988-2004

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you. This is awesome; my brother had a subscription to this, and when he decided he didn't want it, my mom asked me if I wanted to keep getting it.

I ordered strategy guides out of the back for Super Metroid and Final Fantasy III. Those were awesome

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

This is actually one of the reasons I have a passing interest in Russia and central Asia, the culture is not quite western and not quite eastern and some of it is DEFINITIVELY "eastern European", but some of it is more central Asian.

I haven't read much about this so maybe I'm talking out of my rear end though

the states that became Russia were originally founded by vikings but were conquered and ruled by the Mongols for like two and a half centuries which definitely left an influence, and then later when the Russian empire expanded into Asia there was some mixing of cultures in various places (but also a lot of erasure of non-Russian cultures)

but Russia is also "eastern" in the sense that after the fall of the Byzantine empire, Russia was (and still is) the most powerful remaining entity associated with the religion of the eastern Roman empire.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 19, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a place on the forums where I can learn about analog flip clocks? Like from the 70s? I want a modern reproduction and have seen some for ~$20 and others for $100 and I don’t know if the $20 ones are total garbage that will just break and die.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why are printers so awful

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Why are printers so awful

Printing is surprisingly complicated.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Interfacing with the real world is always a pain in the rear end, and printers were the first device that computers interfaced with. While you'd think that that means we'd've figured them out by now, it also means that they have 70 years' worth of legacy crap behind them. Printer controllers are pretty weird things.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is there a place on the forums where I can learn about analog flip clocks? Like from the 70s? I want a modern reproduction and have seen some for ~$20 and others for $100 and I don’t know if the $20 ones are total garbage that will just break and die.

Maybe here?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Interfacing with the real world is always a pain in the rear end, and printers were the first device that computers interfaced with. While you'd think that that means we'd've figured them out by now, it also means that they have 70 years' worth of legacy crap behind them. Printer controllers are pretty weird things.

Yeah, as I understand it, printer drivers have to be backwards compatible because offices keep their printers for a long time. This also means that newer printers will use the same lovely old drivers (in order to be compatible with the ecosystem or whatever), which obviously means that any new printer essentially extends the life of the bad drivers, while possibly adding poo poo to it. In essence, modern printing is poo poo because it uses the printing equivalent of the original Wolfenstein 3D engine updated to current specs.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Another issue is that there are lots of moving parts in printers. Solid state is almost always more reliable than mechanical gizmos with gears and motors. I've wondered before if a solid state printer is even possible and what such a device would look like / how it would function.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

I've wondered before if a solid state printer is even possible and what such a device would look like / how it would function.

You need at minimum to move sheets of paper around. Good luck doing that with just, uh, electromagnets I guess?

Laser printers are a lot more reliable than inkjets, at least. There's no nozzles to clog, and toner is always solid at room temperature anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thermal printers are basically solid state printers. You could also make one that has a great big letter sheet sized print head and you could print with it by applying it to the paper like an ironing board.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica

tuyop posted:

Thermal printers are basically solid state printers. You could also make one that has a great big letter sheet sized print head and you could print with it by applying it to the paper like an ironing board.

I think if you have to manually paper over a big print head every time you want to print you're hitting the point at which it becomes more of a pain in the rear end to use it than it's worth, but I'm pretty sure this would work.

I always figured that one of reasons printers suck rear end so much is the software being a giant nonstandard pain in the rear end with a bunch of different features between printers as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

regulargonzalez posted:

Another issue is that there are lots of moving parts in printers. Solid state is almost always more reliable than mechanical gizmos with gears and motors. I've wondered before if a solid state printer is even possible and what such a device would look like / how it would function.

Sure.

Traditional photograph printing doesn’t require moving parts. There’s a light bulb, the image on film, an enlarger lens, and the photosensitive print paper.

To bring this into the digital age, you use a digital projector to create the image. No moving parts, just one big array of liquid crystals forming the whole image at once.

At that point, moving parts would exist only if you wanted automatic print feed. You could play tricks with electrostatics or metallic paper that you could manipulate with electromagnets, but rollers may be the way to go.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Platystemon posted:

Sure.

Traditional photograph printing doesn’t require moving parts. There’s a light bulb, the image on film, an enlarger lens, and the photosensitive print paper.

To bring this into the digital age, you use a digital projector to create the image. No moving parts, just one big array of liquid crystals forming the whole image at once.

At that point, moving parts would exist only if you wanted automatic print feed. You could play tricks with electrostatics or metallic paper that you could manipulate with electromagnets, but rollers may be the way to go.

Developing those crystals into an image you can actually see requires running it through 3-4 chemical baths (Printing photos has been an inkjet process for a long time now)

Instant photos throw them all together in one package, but requires running the picture through a roller to activate the chemicals.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Laser printers are a lot more reliable than inkjets, at least. There's no nozzles to clog, and toner is always solid at room temperature anyway.

And then there's the opposite extreme from lasers, the solid ink printer that Xerox inflicted on us. These use big blocks of a crayon-like material. They melt a little bit, which drips into the open-topped print head which then squirts it onto the paper like an inkjet. Open topped, so if you bump the printer while it is, or just was, working will spill some of the ink which will cool, harden and start jamming the mechanism.

The print head is tilted into position by a motor in the front right corner of the printer. It drives a cam shaft that engages a gear on the left side of the printer, this gear is on a post in the frame which will sometimes break off. This engages a gear train heading back in the printer that turns the gear that actually moves the print head into position. The cam shaft originally had two cams, they upgraded to three in the next iteration of the printer, because the cams would come adrift trying to move something too heavy for them. That new printer had a firmware bug that would sometimes put 50 volts on a 3.3v lead and burn out the motor that moves the paper around. The gear train and the head tilt gear would also break on the reg.

I had to repair these mechanical abominations for four years.

Oh yes, the blocks of ink were region locked, and if your printer misread its region it took three or four days for Xerox to send a code to reset it. Just bullshit all around.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why is printer ink region locked?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leave posted:

Why is printer ink region locked?

Cause otherwise you might buy cheaper printer ink from a different region.

CyprianLatewood
Feb 27, 2023

by Pragmatica
The ink is where the money is for printer sales, the printers themselves last basically forever if you treat them nice but ink needs replacing all the time and it's expensive as poo poo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I buy bootleg ink cartridges.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Printer ink is up there as one of the most value-dense materials known to humanity. Not so much because of the intrinsic value of the ink, but because the price is hiked to hell and back. New inkjet printers are priced much lower than they cost to produce, but with a tiny supply of ink. You are 100% expected to pay through the nose on the regular for new ink cartridges, and the printer companies do everything to try to prevent you from finding cheaper alternatives.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you think consumer printers are bad you should see the poo poo they pull with professional printing equipment. Epson wide format printers are designed such that once certain parts go through X number of prints the printer will stop and refuse to print until the part is replaced.

Well the part hasn't broken yet so can we get it to keep printing while we order a replacement?

No.

Also, you can't replace it. An Epson service tech is the only one that can replace it.

Oh, you don't have a service contract with Epson? Well guess what!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

could you just like, pour fountain pen ink into an inkjet cartridge