Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the escape goat posted:

Adding to the “make sure you have no plans after watching 25+26 and EoE” because hoooo boy, it’ll need a bit of digesting.

this is very important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

if you didnt binge eva + eoe nd then go into an existential coma for two, three days have you ever lived

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really liked Death (True)² as an intro into EoE when I watched everything for the first time at the end of 2021/start of 2022. The bits of extra animation stitched the vibe of the end of the series through the events cycling again into a different ending.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Fungah! posted:

if you didnt binge eva + eoe nd then go into an existential coma for two, three days have you ever lived

I think a goon posted in here forever ago about how they were gonna chow down on some shrooms then watch EoE

did we ever hear from them again

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the escape goat posted:

I think a goon posted in here forever ago about how they were gonna chow down on some shrooms then watch EoE

did we ever hear from them again

diy instrumentality

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a hankering for orange tang, I'll bet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Squeezed in 24 for the end of today. Things are just falling apart and I have no idea where it's going from here. But I'll try to get the last two and eoe in a single sitting.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I have a friend whose first exposure to Eva was seeing the third rebuild movie.

They were confused but positive.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kingtheninja posted:

I have some answers but more questions?

Kingtheninja posted:

I feel so lost at this point I'm hoping I can make some sense of it by the end.

Ordinarily either of those would be a new thread title, but here we are.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs7eTA1ct8k

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Wittgen posted:

I have a friend whose first exposure to Eva was seeing the third rebuild movie.

They were confused but positive.

:stare:

did they watch any other part of the series?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s not too bad though. It may not make sense but it’s pretty engaging so it’s a fair representation of the whole thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s not too bad though. It may not make sense but it’s pretty engaging so it’s a fair representation of the whole thing.

Oddly enough, it's also one of the few points where longtime fans were more off-balance than newcomers.

Sure, newbies didn't know anything, but that was to be expected. Meanwhile, longtime fans came in expecting things... and then those things didn't happen, completely different things happened, and everyone was very confused.

(I might have mentioned it before, but a fun thing about seeing Shin in theaters was having multiple people nearby who hadn't seen any Eva. They were less confused than you might think!)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's plenty of overlap between Eva fans and kaiju fans but I'm not that surprised that you'd find a sizable crowd who is just there for Godzilla and doesn't have a clue who Anno is.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm pretty sure they watched the rest of the rebuilds.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I disagree with watching the last two then end of Eva in one sitting. I think, watch then
last two, sit with them for a day or so, then EoE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wittgen posted:

I'm pretty sure they watched the rest of the rebuilds.

Me blanking entirely because I just call it Rebuild 3.0+1.0 and I associate the word Shin more with Godzilla.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Me blanking entirely because I just call it Rebuild 3.0+1.0 and I associate the word Shin more with Godzilla.

Yeah, I meant Shin Evangelion.

And there were people who hadn't seen the other rebuilds, either. Just dropping into 3+1 fresh.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I resumed show last night, which I have come back to on-and-off over a period of 3(?) years. Watched e23 and e24. I'm sort of lost while watching but I'm still into it, just gotta read synopses after the episodes conclude. I'm gonna finish the series tonight.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The last episode practically beats viewers over the head with its message - by literally explaining it to Shinji - so I don't think you'll need to Google any notes for that. Just notes for everything else about what's happening at the time.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Watching Neon Genesis Evangelion now is a little bittersweet because had I been introduced to the series when I was a teenager I probably would have been obsessed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rental Sting posted:

Watching Neon Genesis Evangelion now is a little bittersweet because had I been introduced to the series when I was a teenager I probably would have been obsessed.

On the other hand, you probably would have gone insane in the wait between Rebuild 3 and 4.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I was in high school or maybe junior high, my friend lent me his vhs tape of episode 1 and 2. I didn’t watch any of it again for 20 years.

After I finished the first two episodes as an adult, I briefly considered stopping there again, as a joke.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

Honestly while I can't say I was ever quite eva pilot busted, in my twenties retrospectively I felt a little embarrassed how much that show clicked with me as a melodramatic teen with a kind of difficult childhood but otherwise a good family and safe environment, so I got a little dismissive of the show. In my thirties though having known enough people who had actually really hosed up childhoods I think this show kinda nailed it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

On the other hand, you probably would have gone insane in the wait between Rebuild 3 and 4.

Given the long waits between all the films generally, and having read the Wheel of Time as it was being produced, I got very good at forgetting about them even existing until I was pleasantly surprised they arrived.

It was long, but it was also so long you could disconnect from the wait, at least for me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well this certainly has to be the strangest final episodes of a show I've seen. Very wordy, and a lot to wrap my head around.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Shiroc posted:

When I was in high school or maybe junior high, my friend lent me his vhs tape of episode 1 and 2. I didn’t watch any of it again for 20 years.

When I was around that age my dumb rear end plunked down like $30 at Suncoast on a random Eva VHS from the middle of the series. No idea what the gently caress I was thinking, or what the gently caress was going on in the series until one of my friends lent me his DVD set in college.

I also managed to buy some kinda dire hentai at that same time, it was so bad that even Big Titty Anime Babes didn't save it for my horny adolescent self. I literally glued the shrinkwrap back together and returned it. To their credit the random high schooler working the counter at Suncoast did not give a poo poo enough to challenge me on it lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kingtheninja posted:

Well this certainly has to be the strangest final episodes of a show I've seen. Very wordy, and a lot to wrap my head around.

Congratulations!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Congratulations!

Omedetō!

(Just in case you were watching the subs)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Kingtheninja posted:

Congratulations!

No, but seriously, you've just finished watching Evangelion. It's how we all felt at the end, whenever we finished watching it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arc Hammer posted:

Congratulations!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Congratulations!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xDOOHQdAE

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KH2gc11XQU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The wait for 3.0+1.0 was pretty long but for some reason the wait for the home media release of 3.0+1.0 has also been absurdly long. I just want to sit down and melt my brain by watching the entire series on bluray.

Hopefully they release an absurdly detailed and expensive complete rebuild set to match the ridiculous Ultimate Edition gkids put out, the thing loving rules.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Im just over here hanging out with my OG ADV Perfect Collection and the 3 rando Blu Rays for the Rebuilds. I also want a physical release of 3.0+1.0 FOR COMPLETIONS SAKE.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Jesus christ.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Kingtheninja posted:

Jesus christ.

Congratulations

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Jesus christ.

Is this for all of EoE or is this for just the opening scene? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is this for all of EoE or is this for just the opening scene? :smug:

Probably just the Manga release DVD menu.