Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

jassa posted:

Have the thread's spoiler rules changed? Last I heard, we don't discuss new chapter leaks here until scans are out.

There are a ton of people who like spoilerposting, we just mostly gave up on this thread and went to post elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's pretty great ngl

Whiny people posting elsewhere, I mean. I haven't read the spoilers yet because they were clearly marked.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I read the spoilers in the thread because when someone posts “holy poo poo you won’t BELIEVE these spoilers” it’s literally always a shitpost :(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Last Celebration posted:

I read the spoilers in the thread because when someone posts “holy poo poo you won’t BELIEVE these spoilers” it’s literally always a shitpost :(

Same friend

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't believe Sogeking was killed off screen by Gin

Oda is slippin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Infinitum posted:

Can't believe Sogeking was killed off screen by Gin

Oda is slippin

You can't spell king without gin

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You can't spell King without King.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Didn't expect Shanks to get his other arm ripped off, and by Luffy no less. Who could have seen that coming, not me, not me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Every week I tell myself I will be luffy waiting at whole cake for the TCB scans but I end up being zoro tied to the stake eating the lovely rice ball translation

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Scholtz posted:

It's pretty great ngl

Whiny people posting elsewhere, I mean. I haven't read the spoilers yet because they were clearly marked.

Yeah I mean you're entitled to not want to see things, but I dislike the weird idea that "there have never been spoilers in the One Piece thread and no one wants them" - we literally had spoilers in here for over ten years, it's pretty clear that a wing of people who want to post spoilers exists.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ya got got pages after pages of nothing but spoilers covered in black bars. It doesn't hurt me to have to go somewhere that isn't 90%spoiler talk, but I'm a goon and I don't go anywhere but here for One Piece talk
It is my problem alone then
Maybe a shonen jump release only thread?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Monday/Tuesday spoilers aren't worth talking about because they are often misleading or outright wrong. And now with speedscans we might as well wait til Wednesday so we can at least have a couple days of real chapter talk (which I enjoy).

One Piece is a visual medium so to me it only makes sense to discuss things when we actually have a picture of it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Every week I tell myself I will be luffy waiting at whole cake for the TCB scans but I end up being zoro tied to the stake eating the lovely rice ball translation

Every week I open palm slam a URL into the thread. It's the spoilers and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://opscans.com/manga/one-piece-chapter1079/vol-tbe-chapter-1079/

Poochy died on the way back to his home planet

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

lol all that for nothing owned

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lol what exactly was the point of this character? Superfluousnovas.

Yorks plan definitely seems interesting though. She made no deal with the government, plans to live in marie juice, and needs specific lab equipment which makes body swap theory sound plausible.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Eh, boo. I was actually enjoying Kidd too much for him to just get Kaido'd again but oh well.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Upsidads posted:

Ya got got pages after pages of nothing but spoilers covered in black bars. It doesn't hurt me to have to go somewhere that isn't 90%spoiler talk, but I'm a goon and I don't go anywhere but here for One Piece talk
It is my problem alone then
Maybe a shonen jump release only thread?
I just will not go to Reddit.

It would be nice if we could have a spoilers thread and lock it for the week when the good translation drops.

No Wave posted:

That was possibly the most satisfying thing I've ever seen in my entire life. That was the point of that character.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fuckin' lmao, RIP in pieces Kidd

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tolth posted:

That was possibly the most satisfying thing I've ever seen in my entire life. That was the point of that character.
I mean yeah I've never liked him and have always wanted him to lose. It's just so odd having it finally happen like this.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

No Wave posted:

I mean yeah I've never liked him and have always wanted him to lose. It's just so odd having it finally happen like this.

TBH Kidd had a healthy-as-hell run for a character that Oda pulled out of his rear end back before the timeskip, I think this was a smart way to take this piece off the chess board. Good work Oda, you're a real G when it comes to integrating your extras into the long-term scheme without taking away from the mainline narrative path :golfclap:

If you do this with Law i'm gonna riot, that dude better be bulletproof, don't gently caress up my boy big O :colbert:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think the way this happened was extremely cool: Shanks' super advanced observation Haki let him see a future where Kidd's attack devastated the entire fleet, so Shanks basically did a preemptive finisher at super speed. Like yeah, I can see it seeming anti-climactic because instead of a cool drawn out shonen fight you basically had each person play Rocket Tag and immediately use their ultimate finisher, this is just what it looks like when that happens and one of the people happens to have future sight. You even kind of get a hint that Shanks is up for a bit of a fun traditional fight when he is asking Beckman if the Kidd Pirates are fully healed from Wano, but once it gets "real" and he sees how dangerous Kidd actually is to his friends, he just decides to immediately go all out and shut it down.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

it was nice knowing you kidd lmao

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

White Light posted:

TBH Kidd had a healthy-as-hell run for a character that Oda pulled out of his rear end back before the timeskip, I think this was a smart way to take this piece off the chess board. Good work Oda, you're a real G when it comes to integrating your extras into the long-term scheme without taking away from the mainline narrative path :golfclap:

If you do this with Law i'm gonna riot, that dude better be bulletproof, don't gently caress up my boy big O :colbert:

Sure kinda its just I remember cringing a lil at that new generation taking over from the old stuff in Wano so I'm glad it got basically poo poo all over here. But at the same time why even say it in the first place if this is whats gonna happen? It's shounen and you gotta fill up space I get it, and I consider this a W for where I was hoping the series would end up, it just makes me wtf a little bit as to what was going on in wano.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Wave posted:

Sure kinda its just I remember cringing a lil at that new generation taking over from the old stuff in Wano so I'm glad it got basically poo poo all over here. But at the same time why even say it in the first place if this is whats gonna happen? It's shounen and you gotta fill up space I get it, and I consider this a W for where I was hoping the series would end up, it just makes me wtf a little bit as to what was going on in wano.

In Wano both Kaido and Big Mom played with their food a bunch, they didn't go straight to their ultimate finishing moves immediately upon setting sights on any of the Supernovas, they saw them as cocky rookies and they wanted to humiliate them.

The key difference here is that Kidd showed his hand way too soon, he basically went for an ultimate attack that would have caused a bunch of devastation and this tipped of Shanks big time that there wasn't time to play around. Think of it like the old trope of the hero and villain monologuing at each other and things building up to an elaborate showdown, where even if the villain has the hero at his mercy he can't resist walking out of the room to let his henchmen finish things. Instead both sides just went all out at full power and the guy who had a slight edge was able to beat the other guy to the punch, so to speak.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
jesus christ shanks

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

No Wave posted:

Yorks plan definitely seems interesting though. She made no deal with the government, plans to live in marie juice, and needs specific lab equipment which makes body swap theory sound plausible.

York's plan seems increasingly moronic.. There was the suggestion (that she made to Vegapunk herself) that she had some understanding with the world government for her to become a celestial dragon, even though the world government didn't know who the traitor on the island was specifically.. But now it's revealed that prior to setting her plan in motion York believes that the world government has betrayed their agreement (which must have existed in some form) and she still went through with her plan anyway? And at what point did she meet with all the Seraphim away from everyone else anyway, wasn't she always in the control room with the rest of the Vegapunks and then traveling through the lab with Usopp, Franky and Nami? If they are coming to do an upgraded version of a buster call on the island and kill everyone on it why order the seraphim to do that yourself, to try and salvage your bargain? but they don't need you for anything and they've already went back on the bargain you originally thought you had with them?

I guess I will wait to be impressed with how Oda ties this all together, but to me the "plan" made much more sense if York isn't aware that they betrayed her and is acting on false assurances...

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 22, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

No Wave posted:

"Out with the old, in with the new! The next generation will- Whoa not Shanks no, he's only in his 30's come on now."

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Higuma dealt more damage to Shanks than Kidd lmao

E:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Higuma dealt more damage to Shanks than Kidd lmao

so did a fish

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Starsfan posted:

York's plan seems increasingly moronic.. There was the suggestion (that she made to Vegapunk herself) that she had some understanding with the world government for her to become a celestial dragon, even though the world government didn't know who the traitor on the island was specifically.. But now it's revealed that prior to setting her plan in motion York believes that the world government has betrayed their agreement (which must have existed in some form) and she still went through with her plan anyway? And at what point did she meet with all the Seraphim away from everyone else anyway, wasn't she always in the control room with the rest of the Vegapunks and then traveling through the lab with Usopp, Franky and Nami? If they are coming to do an upgraded version of a buster call on the island and kill everyone on it why order the seraphim to do that yourself, to try and salvage your bargain? but they don't need you for anything and they've already went back on the bargain you originally thought you had with them?

I guess I will wait to be impressed with how Oda ties this all together, but to me the "plan" made much more sense if York isn't aware that they betrayed her and is acting on false assurances...

That was suggested in the reddit spoiler but not in the actual TL I read unless I missed it. She seems to have never had any agreement with the WG and is lying to Stella by suggesting she did. I can live with her being a genius or an idiot but I'd have more fun with the genius!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the lesson here for Law and Kid (assuming Law also lost) is that they need to work together to defeat Emperors, and alone they are powerless. The new generation needs the strength of unity to topple the power structures of the world.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mabels big day posted:

the lesson here for Law and Kid (assuming Law also lost) is that they need to work together to defeat Emperors, and alone they are powerless. The new generation needs the strength of unity to topple the power structures of the world.
This is where Blackbeard's "generation" status gets confusing.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

No Wave posted:

That was suggested in the reddit spoiler but not in the actual TL I read unless I missed it. She seems to have never had any agreement with the WG and is lying to Stella by suggesting she did. I can live with her being a genius or an idiot but I'd have more fun with the genius!

well yeah she tells Vegapunk she's doing what she's doing because she will get to be a a celestial dragon, which may or may not imply an agreement (certainly it's not within her power to make herself one). Alot of people read the last chapter as stating there was no actual agreement because the chapter clearly shows that the world government didn't actually know who she was and she was providing this inside info unsolicited, kidnapping the CP agents to force the government to move on egghead, etc... I'm more going off of this chapter where she apparently claims that the World Government betrayed her which appears on surface level to contradict the text from the previous chapter, but on reflection it could be a situation where she feels like she was betrayed because of delusional assumptions she made over how events would transpire and not some sort of formal agreement she had with them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i bet she made a plan with the WG and then they were like "no" so now she has a new plan to become a celestial dragon. given that it requires stella and CP agents, its probably something to do with blackmailing them with the history of the world, especially since she doesnt want certain parts of the island destroyed

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Starsfan posted:

well yeah she tells Vegapunk she's doing what she's doing because she will get to be a a celestial dragon, which may or may not imply an agreement (certainly it's not within her power to make herself one). Alot of people read the last chapter as stating there was no actual agreement because the chapter clearly shows that the world government didn't actually know who she was and she was providing this inside info unsolicited, kidnapping the CP agents to force the government to move on egghead, etc... I'm more going off of this chapter where she apparently claims that the World Government betrayed her which appears on surface level to contradict the text from the previous chapter, but on reflection it could be a situation where she feels like she was betrayed because of delusional assumptions she made over how events would transpire and not some sort of formal agreement she had with them.
Yeah I didnt see anything about betrayal in the TL I read, I saw her stating that the WG would be after her too as a statement of fact. We'll get proper TLs eventually but I'm assuming the betrayal leak was an unjustified inference for now (could be totally wrong, I'm not going to bother with more detective work cause official TL will solve it).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's probably a bit fitting that Kidd wound up losing to Shanks in this fashion, being a dude who mortally does not respect Pirates who fold when confronted with the difficulty spike of the new world losing to the guy whose fleet is apparently just a patchwork of goobers who'd probably have been eaten alive otherwise.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The attack Shank used was the same one Roger did

I doubt Kidd is dead but I think his crew is done. He doesn’t seem like the type of person who would become a subordinate of Shanks so maybe he’ll just live on Elbaf now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shame that Kidd went down like a bitch, but I do like the events that took place, Shanks going from "haha, these guys sure want a fight- OH poo poo KIDD WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" is a good reason why Kidd lost immediately.

Can't wait for his third fight to avenge losing his other arm.