Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Terper posted:

I took this one and edited it, because:
wide appeal, known
funny, not a meme
story relevant and excellent match with the post icon

thank u for your service

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027659

Aw poo poo I contributed a thread title what an honor. I've finally made it as poo poo poster thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

goethe.cx posted:

they're going to say "gently caress" in it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Terper posted:

Thinking of putting up a 16 thread this week since we're about to get more info soon, give me your thread title ideas

FF16: Does your game have Active Time Lore?

Darn, too late.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Quick question about FF7 on Steam Deck: has anyone installed New Threat for FF7 on their Steam Deck? I’m kind of excited to play mods and randomizers on portable, and I have yet to try NT. I googled it and answers are kind of inconsistent, so I figured I’d ask here

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Quick question about FF7 on Steam Deck: has anyone installed New Threat for FF7 on their Steam Deck? I’m kind of excited to play mods and randomizers on portable, and I have yet to try NT. I googled it and answers are kind of inconsistent, so I figured I’d ask here

yes, although I don't go through that mod launcher, I just install the mod manually and then copy and paste the game directory over the one on my Deck. others may have used multiple mods in conjunction

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I dunno man.. the beard literally seduces you in FFXIV so it seems like it could be both..

Alright. I can settle for that.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

yes, although I don't go through that mod launcher, I just install the mod manually and then copy and paste the game directory over the one on my Deck. others may have used multiple mods in conjunction

Thank you, I’ll give it a shot

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Clive is going to romance and gently caress every single dominant.

The only loving Clive is down for is his loving revenge.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

clive will say do and be gently caress

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

shadow the hedgehog is going to make a cameo and he's going to ask sephiroth what his loving problem is

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And then they'll gently caress.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

OhFunny posted:

The only loving Clive is down for is his loving revenge.

Was Tidus really the last non-MMO protagonist not out for revenge in some way? Vaan against the Empire, Lightning against... everything, Noctis against the Empire (but a different Empire, y'see).

I guess if you include spin-offs then you'd add Serah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Was Tidus really the last non-MMO protagonist not out for revenge in some way? Vaan against the Empire, Lightning against... everything, Noctis against the Empire (but a different Empire, y'see).

Tidus absolutely wanted to punch his dad in the face

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vaan started off wanting revenge but chilled out on that desire over time just wanting to make things better for people in general. Him hanging around and mellowing out is a big reason Ashe finally eventually chills out herself and ultimately doesn't make a deal with a demon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Vaan started off wanting revenge but chilled out on that desire over time just wanting to make things better for people in general. Him hanging around and mellowing out is a big reason Ashe finally eventually chills out herself and ultimately doesn't make a deal with a demon.

I find it funny that Ashe straight up never talks to Penelo in the entire game.

Actually I think Penelo barely talks to anyone aside from Vaan and Larsa? She talks to Fran once at Ridorana, Basch at Arcadia (kinda), and Balthier just hands her his handkerchief. I don't think she even said two words to him at the time.

She's not alone in limited interactions (I don't think Fran ever talks to Basch or Ashe), but for a main party member she really has little presence.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Kimahri of the group.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fran gives Ashe a few "this is a bad idea" comments.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally platted final bar line and also got an S-ultimate rank on that one big bridge remix

two thumbs up, now i'll put it aside for whenever more song packs drop (such as the one later this week)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Penelo is technically the best White Mage, she is not the Kimahri

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

To be fair, the writers going "ah poo poo I forgot this guy was in the game" happens in basically every FF except like, uh, 14 and 15

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, I forget Amarant is even a character in IX.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

To be fair, the writers going "ah poo poo I forgot this guy was in the game" happens in basically every FF except like, uh, 14 and 15

7 did a decent job. i'd say the most forgotten guy is vincent and he's at least optional

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

7 did a decent job. i'd say the most forgotten guy is vincent and he's at least optional

the game kinda forgets red exists after cosmo canyon. i think his last major scene after that is the optional one where you get his ultimate weapon. i guess he can hold the black materia but meh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's the only guy in the final scene!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chillgamesh posted:

the game kinda forgets red exists after cosmo canyon. i think his last major scene after that is the optional one where you get his ultimate weapon. i guess he can hold the black materia but meh

There's probably some kind of argument between who gets more forgotten - the character who gets most of their storyline in an the early part of the game (Red XIII, Lulu, Freya), or who gets it in the later part (Kimahri, Amarant).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FF4: Rosa, I guess? She helps Rydia get over her fear and I like the "you idiots thought you could leave us behind" moment at the end, but she doesn't really do much in-between except get kidnapped.
FF5: I'd say nobody. Everyone gets their part.
FF6: Umaro/Gogo/Mog? Are we counting intentionally shallow optional characters? A lot of the others are very much not in the spotlight when it's not their turn to be in the spotlight, but that's in part because of the World of Ruin's gimmick making it unclear who's going to be around for which parts.
FF7: Vincent
FF8: I'm not familiar enough with this game to comment.
FF9: Amarant, Quina's shallow but there, Freya kinda runs out of things to do once her kingdom's sacked, Eiko is also big for one part and then just tagging along because friendship.
FF10: Kimhari
FF12: Penelo. People complain about Vaan stepping out of the spotlight while we still think of him as the Main Character because he's who we control in towns (we're wrong, he hands that role off to Ashe with a "my character growth is done, it's your turn" speech at Jahara, but it's easy to get distracted), but Penelo doesn't even get that.
FF13: again, not familiar enough with the game
FF15: if we're counting the DLC everyone at least gets a turn, outside of that... everyone's at least on camera and HAS a character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
11: Galka Batman
14: angry, cursing lalafell. Any of em

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

FF4: Rosa, I guess? She helps Rydia get over her fear and I like the "you idiots thought you could leave us behind" moment at the end, but she doesn't really do much in-between except get kidnapped.
FF5: I'd say nobody. Everyone gets their part.
FF6: Umaro/Gogo/Mog? Are we counting intentionally shallow optional characters? A lot of the others are very much not in the spotlight when it's not their turn to be in the spotlight, but that's in part because of the World of Ruin's gimmick making it unclear who's going to be around for which parts.
FF7: Vincent
FF8: I'm not familiar enough with this game to comment.
FF9: Amarant, Quina's shallow but there, Freya kinda runs out of things to do once her kingdom's sacked, Eiko is also big for one part and then just tagging along because friendship.
FF10: Kimhari
FF12: Penelo. People complain about Vaan stepping out of the spotlight while we still think of him as the Main Character because he's who we control in towns (we're wrong, he hands that role off to Ashe with a "my character growth is done, it's your turn" speech at Jahara, but it's easy to get distracted), but Penelo doesn't even get that.
FF13: again, not familiar enough with the game
FF15: if we're counting the DLC everyone at least gets a turn, outside of that... everyone's at least on camera and HAS a character.

FF8: Quistis disappears as a character after disc 1.

FF13: I’d say Sazh gets less and less to do as the game goes on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bruceski posted:

FF6; I'd probably say Gau, considering he's a forced recruit. His section is fairly minor and then he's just there until an optional quest in World of Ruin that isn't very meaty unlike say Shadow.

I see a lot of similar complaints about Freya, but I think it's more that her arc just more or less feeds into Amarant's, whose screentime is fairly selective and largely confined to ATEs. What might have helped would be if Zidane also took her to track down Amarant at Ipsen's Castle.

HD DAD posted:

FF8: Quistis disappears as a character after disc 1.

I think Quistis is just a consequence of FF8 just cutting kneecapping development for anyone not named Squall or Laguna after Disc 2. If you look at the first 2 Discs as a separate section from Discs 3+4, she gets decent content for the first half, and then Disc 2 is more of a Selphie/Zell show.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

FF8 is definitely Irvine

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Irvine has enough scattered moments from when he joins to the end of Disc 2 (choking on the mission, trying to cheer up Selphie, orphanage twist). He doesn't really have a major leader section like Zell with Balamb or Selphie's Missile Base, but he's not invisible. As much as we all wish he was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think Quistis has special dialogue if you take her to space and also have her in your party when you return to the Orpahanage after rescuing Rinoa. Just my memory from using her in one of my VIII runs.

But really, every non-Squall party members has their arcs killed off after Disk 1. I've brought up Rinoa frequently enough about this, about her relationship with her father having zero resolution. After Disk 1 she simply exists to be Squall's Love Interest. Even becoming a Sorceress is for Squall's character arc, not her own.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

goethe.cx posted:

shadow the hedgehog is going to make a cameo and he's going to ask sephiroth what his loving problem is

:stare:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Where's that drat fourth Chaos guardian.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Quistis has special dialogue if you take her to space and also have her in your party when you return to the Orpahanage after rescuing Rinoa. Just my memory from using her in one of my VIII runs.

But really, every non-Squall party members has their arcs killed off after Disk 1. I've brought up Rinoa frequently enough about this, about her relationship with her father having zero resolution. After Disk 1 she simply exists to be Squall's Love Interest. Even becoming a Sorceress is for Squall's character arc, not her own.

The bulk of Selphie's content is in Disc 2 and the Balamb return is very heavily Zell. Even Irvine has his moments, so it's really just Quistis.

Rinoa's role after Disc 2 isn't great but they do give her enough interactions with some other characters that she's not 100% dependent on Squall to have a personality. Her line in the flashback about how Squall would say 'nobody ordered me to escape so I'm staying here' is gold. Sure her storyline is heavily dependent on Squall, but honestly that's a lot of female protagonists before Garnet. Like 90% of Tifa's content is based around Cloud. Rosa is heavily dependent on Cecil and Kain. And the bulk of Celes' content revolves around Locke.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

goethe.cx posted:

Remake is going to change gaming forever

For the better

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

was noctis out for revenge, or was he out to save his fiance, country, and eventually planet?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

was noctis out for revenge, or was he out to save his fiance, country, and eventually planet?

Revenge for Jared

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The most chill revenge story of all time.

I can't believe my father is dead, my kingdom conquered....

How about we go fishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I mean, yes?

Noctis is clearly very interested in taking the fight to the Niflheim Empire- and his desire to just kill as many Imperial Soldiers and other associated folk as he can plant his myriad weapons into only grows more and more intense over the course of the game- but he also understands his single best avenue of doing that is finishing the trials of the king and gaining the power of the undisputed monarch to reclaim Insomnia and protect his friends and subjects. His main goal is achieving A) through B), I guess?

(The Planet part comes more later, when Noctis comes to realize this Isn't That Kind of Story and has to drastically change his goals in order to avoid more or less the end of sentient life on Eos.)