Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

Revenge for Jared

Revenge for the Regalia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Irvine is dope. AP ammo for life.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Edit.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
GOD drat IT LET THE MAN gently caress

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

:argh:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Maybe ignorance is bliss :shrug:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I want Clive and Jack to be friends

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jack is the final boss of FFXVI and the fight is unwinnable.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I want Clive and Jack to be friends

Jack doesn’t so much have “friends” but rather “additional bodies to throw at Chaos”

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheHoosier posted:

Jack doesn’t so much have “friends” but rather “additional bodies to throw at Chaos”

Did you play SoP like at all?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

this mfer didn't play the game!!!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Did you play SoP like at all?

Uh, I haven't finished it, but yeah? Was just a crack at some of the scenes of him being stand-offish and single-minded. Sorry?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

TheHoosier posted:

Uh, I haven't finished it, but yeah? Was just a crack at some of the scenes of him being stand-offish and single-minded. Sorry?

No harm done, but finish the game and you’ll see.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s been over a year and I still can’t believe the dumb Jack game is one of my favorite FFs

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm still waiting on seeing how the steam version shakes out on the 'Deck but everything suggests a good time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Could not get into SoP. lovely team ninja nonsense killed it for me

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheHoosier posted:

Jack's later behavior will make you ashamed of your words and deeds.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah given the response to my bad joke i'd say something big must be waiting at the other end, lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is Jack the best final fantasy character?

Gotta be up there, right?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

He's the first and best

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of my online friends is playing Final Fantasy XII for the first time ever, the original PlayStation 2 version, and they are streaming it on Twitch https://twitch.tv/karkalla they gained quite a goon following the last time they played a Final Fantasy game for the first time (FF8) on Twitch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

But really, every non-Squall party members has their arcs killed off after Disk 1.

IMO the worst game series about this sort of thing is the Trails of Cold Steel one, mainly because learning about the class in the first game* was really interesting, but then most of them are left with very little to do for the rest of the extremely long 4-game series (and even the ones with stuff to do usually don't have much interesting going on).

* the best Cold Steel game IMO; 3 could have been the best, but was soured somewhat by 4 squandering its cool ending

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would be okay with them retroactively considering Jack the main character of Final Fantasy 1 for all future crossover purposes.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm torn because I love Jack Final Fantasy, but for years I've been in love with christopher sabat's voicework as Garland and we only got a teeny tiny bit of that in stranger.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked Stranger of Paradise back up after beating Octopath Traveler II. I fought the pirate captain who attacked Jack for not laughing at his lovely pirate puns and lmao this game is amazing. It also helped that I got more used to the controls and branched out and started using different jobs. I really liked Mage and Pilgrim, I mastered the former and am trying to unlock the advanced jobs as quickly as I can.

Does buying the other nodes in the basic job skill trees do anything? Do those skills/effects carry over into any other jobs? Are the basic jobs still worth using after unlocking advanced jobs? I guess I’m not totally sure how to prioritize which jobs I’m leveling up.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you'll want to pick up the combo abilities and command abilities, which can be cross-classed. passives and job affinity bonuses are specific to when you're on that job.

you'll end up maxing them out anyway, whether it's purposefully grinding each job to 30, trickling exp into them with gear affinity, or dumping anima shards into them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vitamean posted:

you'll want to pick up the combo abilities and command abilities, which can be cross-classed. passives and job affinity bonuses are specific to when you're on that job.

you'll end up maxing them out anyway, whether it's purposefully grinding each job to 30, trickling exp into them with gear affinity, or dumping anima shards into them.

Does having affinity from your equipment for a different job than the one you’re using funnel exp into that job? That would explain why I’ve gotten seemingly random level ups for different jobs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does having affinity from your equipment for a different job than the one you’re using funnel exp into that job? That would explain why I’ve gotten seemingly random level ups for different jobs.

It does.

Just level up the jobs you like. Job experience is not a significant limiter at any point. During the story, expert jobs have considerably higher base stats than advanced jobs, and advanced jobs are considered higher than basic jobs. That doesn’t mean you can’t use basic jobs, but you’ll probably feel a good bit frailer if you do. The basic and advanced jobs catch up early in the first DLC if you unlock their job level limits. Also, marksman, a basic job, and berserker, an advanced job, are both ridiculously strong throughout the story and can kill bosses in seconds on hard, so there’s no hard rule about using expert jobs once you unlock them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It does.

Just level up the jobs you like. Job experience is not a significant limiter at any point. During the story, expert jobs have considerably higher base stats than advanced jobs, and advanced jobs are considered higher than basic jobs. That doesn’t mean you can’t use basic jobs, but you’ll probably feel a good bit frailer if you do. The basic and advanced jobs catch up early in the first DLC if you unlock their job level limits. Also, marksman, a basic job, and berserker, an advanced job, are both ridiculously strong throughout the story and can kill bosses in seconds on hard, so there’s no hard rule about using expert jobs once you unlock them.

I tried using a gun job, might’ve been Marksman, I didn’t like the way the guns control. It was weird.

I’ll just do whatever and use the jobs I like without grinding.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I tried using a gun job, might’ve been Marksman, I didn’t like the way the guns control. It was weird.

I’ll just do whatever and use the jobs I like without grinding.

Guns feel weird at first, but once you get used to them they are completely bonkers. Like a separate difficulty level. Eventually you find guns with a unique skill that shoots a gigantic holy laser that does ridiculously high damage while you hold down the button. Marksman can recover mp from magic damage, so your gigantic laser beam that shreds bosses in seconds also fully restores your mp. It’s absurd.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

marauder's default ability carried me through my first stepladder up Chaos difficulty, which also worked out since you're gonna have the basic jobs uncapped higher than the others. being able to apply a slew of defensive debuffs on an enemy then completely ruin them with something else works pretty good!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Guns feel weird at first, but once you get used to them they are completely bonkers. Like a separate difficulty level. Eventually you find guns with a unique skill that shoots a gigantic holy laser that does ridiculously high damage while you hold down the button. Marksman can recover mp from magic damage, so your gigantic laser beam that shreds bosses in seconds also fully restores your mp. It’s absurd.

Yeah I basically abused gun to beat the challenge with three Master Tonberries. Because they’re fuckers and so I just shot them and then hid when they tried to hit me with long-range attacks. Then I realized that I could use Swordsman’s parry on Master Knife and could absorb Everyone’s Grudge and that made the fights really easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It does.

Wait are the DLC jobs unlocked by default in a new game?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Wait are the DLC jobs unlocked by default in a new game?

Pilgrim and marksman unlock as soon as you find the appropriate weapon (which drop in the first mission). Evoked, hunter and gambler unlock through the job tree. Summoner and blue mage require special unlocks by progressing through the DLC.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack “Garland” Garland uses a big sword and that’s the end of what jobs he picks

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ApplesandOranges posted:

Was Tidus really the last non-MMO protagonist not out for revenge in some way? Vaan against the Empire, Lightning against... everything, Noctis against the Empire (but a different Empire, y'see).

I guess if you include spin-offs then you'd add Serah.

If we count the spin-offs than Jack Garland is the latest lead who isn't out for revenge. The desire to Kill Chaos is instinctual.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
SoP is EXTREMELY about revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Question is, which FF is the most about revenge

My vote is FFVII.