Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Like a lot of threads I've lurked a long time before posting

I also tried boxing for about nine months and it's a long story but I got hit by accident and it knocked me out and I was like nah I'm done lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

oh I must be one of those people then

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Thought Fury won more rounds but when the scores were announced I assume Paul pulled it out because of the late knockdown. I'd favor Pail in a rematch m slightly.

Also look for Canelo to go after that cruiserweight belt now that Badou Jack has it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

seems to have gone well

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I gotts say the ref deducting a bullshit point from each guy is a really strange way to rig a fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Julio Cruz posted:

seems to have gone well

I mean the fight seems to have generated a ton of interest for a fight that happened in the middle of a random Sunday afternoon so it did go pretty well.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Guess we saw Paul’s ceiling: maybe 75% as good as Tommy Fury.

I’m happy for Fury honestly. He’s basically been treated as a joke for the last few years and while he’s clearly not a world class boxer and never will be, he’s basically set himself up for life off of this win, and greatly increased his earning potential both in boxing and in celebrity/influencer endeavours going forward.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hello internet posted:

Does this mean that Jake is going to gently caress off now?
I dunno what his PFL contract says about boxing, but I could see him trying to get one more boxing match in before switching.

He doesn't look like he has enough for Fury, so I dunno if he'll exercise that rematch clause. I mean ffs, Tommy circled at the right hand all night despite his corner telling him not to, and it didn't matter.

Not sure what the landscape of boxers between Anderson Silva and Tommy Fury looks like, but doesn't sound like there'll be as much money there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think if there's no immediate rematch with Fury then he's probably gonna fight KSI.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I turned off the fight without watching the last two rounds this morning. It seems like Paul was afraid to actually box for most of the fight and was more interested in clinching.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If he does keep boxing, I would assume Paul goes back to the influencer circuit: KSI, “Salt Papi”, etc. maybe the Nate Diaz fight still also happens, who knows. With this loss to Fury, a lot of shine comes off of these fights in my opinion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean fighting Askren and Tyron Woodley wasn't really impressive in my mind. Anderson Silva was the only real striker he fought, and even then he's an almost fifty year old MMA fighter not a boxer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the real loser in all of this is of course JCC Jr.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1634315179260297222?t=kS3HzJ7tE6tpKcFmEnR5uA&s=19

70/30 split for Fury.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1634284460270055424?t=a3A7G2HfesVxrtUQI3Lo2w&s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Please happen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice to see they'll do it in the UK after all. gently caress Saudi Arabia.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
has anyone been paying any attention to tim tszyu? i put him in the same 'not his dad' bucket as eubank jr but i'm pretty sure that's doing the guy a disservice. i just watched some highlights of his last fight against harrisson and there's a lot to like. has he got anything for charlo?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I was impressed by Tim, but I wasn't going to pick him over Jermell even though i was impressed by how much pressure he was able to put on Harrison and that hasn't changed now.

An underrated factor in this fight, I think, is how the delay from the initial date of January 28th helps Charlo more than Tszyu. I think Jermell is a fighter who does better the more time he has had to learn an opponent, as evidenced by how much better he fared against Harrison and Castano in his rematches against them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

has anyone been paying any attention to tim tszyu? i put him in the same 'not his dad' bucket as eubank jr but i'm pretty sure that's doing the guy a disservice. i just watched some highlights of his last fight against harrisson and there's a lot to like. has he got anything for charlo?

Charlo better fight him in the next twelve months imo. He's looking better and better every fight and when you see guys doing that you can't really wait to fight then because eventually they'll be ready. I still take Mell but idk for how long.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Everything going great at Golden Boy Promotions - why do you ask?

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1636817890421686286

https://twitter.com/heyitsmarcosv/status/1636819045445169152

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

usyk wanted 70-30 in his favor for the rematch and fury wouldn't sign. just don't lose big man. jesus boxing is so dumb.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

usyk wanted 70-30 in his favor for the rematch and fury wouldn't sign. just don't lose big man. jesus boxing is so dumb.

Think you’ve got it mixed up. Fury asked for 70-30, Usyk agreed, Fury canceled for rematch clause related reasons

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Jump King posted:

Think you’ve got it mixed up. Fury asked for 70-30, Usyk agreed, Fury canceled for rematch clause related reasons

the rematch clause related reasons was usyk wanting 70-30 to go back to england if fury lost

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 24, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the paradigm shift posted:

the rematch clause related reasons was usyk wanting 70-30 to go back to england if fury lost

Absolute bitxh move by fury. That's a totally reasonable request to accept 70/30 in the first place.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Fury had no intention of doing this fight.

You'd think having a height advantage of 6 inches, 15 kgs, and a 7 inch reach advantage he'd be well up for it. Guess not.

God I hate boxing.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
At least we get Plant v Benavidez tomorrow. Which is going to be great.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pretty decent card all things considered

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Pretty decent card all things considered

I think it's interesting that it looks like Joey Spencer is being cashed out so soon.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/michaelbensonn/status/1639413779887800324?s=46&t=7WBOn3yxSAmESJPJxyuIbQ

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Prediction for tonight:

Caleb Plant will win a pretty clear majority decision (8-4 or 9-3 on 2 cards, random stray draw card)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Prediction for tonight: Benavidez hits Plant really hard and changes the nature of the fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Prediction for tonight: Benavidez hits Plant really hard and changes the nature of the fight

Well gently caress, (as evidenced by every incarnation of this thread since 2015,) I was wrong and you were right.

As I've said in more other channels I think it's decently likely Canelo will retire from boxing to join the LIV golf circuit after his May 6 fight with John Ryder but even if he fights Bivol in a rematch on Mexican Independence Day weekend I'm not sure that we can count on Saul 'Canelo' Alavrez as an active boxer after 2023. Therefore I think the most logical fight to make at the end of this year would - David Benavidez vs Jermell Charlo at 168 lbs. at the end of this year of the beginning of 2024 to determine the landscape of that division after Canelo's (imo) inevitable retirement.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 26, 2023

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bring on Canelo vs Benavidez; one of the top 5 biggest fights in boxing now IMO.

Will be a very interesting fight considering they both start slow and aren’t afraid to give away rounds. If Canelo has lost anything off his fastball it’s a 50/50 proposition.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

What happened in the 8th round of Benavidez/Plant

Plant got hurt and the ref stopped the fight to have the doctor check his eyes?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Street Horrrsing posted:

Checked his eyes or more likely the cut that had just opened up. Either way, horrendous reffing all night.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Street Horrrsing posted:

These types of pauses in between rounds are pretty common. Referees will often have the fight doctor check an area of concern (mainly one of the eyes) if there's a noticeable swelling to the naked eye. However this tends to be more a 'cover your rear end' measure since it's very rare that a referee may cell a halt to any fight based on the doctor's recommendations unless it's something that is very physically egregious in most circumstances.

EDIT Especially in fights like Benavidez-Plant which have effects that change the landscape of many divisions.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 26, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenny Bayless retire bitch

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

CommonShore posted:

Kenny Bayless retire bitch

He's terrible.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

has bayless declined a lot? he used to be a very good ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Inoue-Fulton has been moved to July. Inoue has an undisclosed injury. Hope it heals well and doesn't affect his boxing.