Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Every vol I see Pirate describe Antinium “blinking” a few times, and I'm sure they intended to describe this

But forgot the ants don't have eyelids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Something I see a lot is people trying to pluralise “scum”.

It’s a mass noun!!
they're from pittsburgh, yinz scums gonna learn

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

Yeah, the overwhelming majority of web serial authors write discrete when they mean discreet. You usually don't need to use the word "discrete" in a fantasy web serial (though I've occasionally seen it used correctly).

Hoard vs horde makes me curse out loud every time

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have so many better things to get angry about, like reined/rained/reigned and regime/regimen/regiment and pallette/pallet.

You forgot palate.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Bare/bear gets to me.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

imnotinsane posted:

Speaking of translated xanxia, maybe it’s because of original language but it always annoys me when they gender words when they don’t need to. You can’t just be a saint or a mage, you have to be a saintess or a magess. They aren’t even gendered words to begin with, no one says saintess Teresa just saint Teresa

I just pretend "saintess" is a totally unrelated word to "saint" because it's not like any saintess in a story has more than a passing resemblance to how saints work anyway.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
using octave as a measure of volume is my favourite. Her voice dropped by several octaves as she turned to whisper sultrily in his ear, or his voice raising by octaves as he shouted defiance across the battlefield

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

awesmoe posted:

using octave as a measure of volume is my favourite. Her voice dropped by several octaves as she turned to whisper sultrily in his ear, or his voice raising by octaves as he shouted defiance across the battlefield

This one is really funny because of what it implies when read/understood properly

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

This one is really funny because of what it implies when read/understood properly

one of the times I'll always take a break and really picture the scene, yeah

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Something I see a lot is people trying to pluralise “scum”.

It’s a mass noun!!

Maybe they're saying the people are several varieties of scum?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Okay, I think I finally figured out why these Flos chapters at the start of Vol 5 of TWI are bugging me. He doesn't feel like a real character at all.
He's so over the top that it feels like he's an actor playing the role of a king, badly.
Not really a fan TBH.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, I think I finally figured out why these Flos chapters at the start of Vol 5 of TWI are bugging me. He doesn't feel like a real character at all.
He's so over the top that it feels like he's an actor playing the role of a king, badly.
Not really a fan TBH.

I felt the same way. I think I'm further along than you, and I still don't know what Flo's motivation is besides "I'm the King of Destruction". If the twins were a little more interesting, or if there seemed to be some good reason why people are following him like he is some kind of cult leader, maybe I'd like him more.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think everyone disliked those chapters and more than a few people dropped it because of that big brick wall of Flos. Thankfully, he gets a long break after that set of chapters, and by the time he comes back, pirate slowly makes the Chandrar portions more interesting--generally by focusing on characters other than Flos, most of whom are way more interesting.

IIRC after this and the upcoming Doctor chapters is when pirate started taking votes for POV chapters, so while that doesn't guarantee that the future side character chapters will be good, I can say that most of them will be chapters that a lot of people were asking for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

I felt the same way. I think I'm further along than you, and I still don't know what Flo's motivation is besides "I'm the King of Destruction". If the twins were a little more interesting, or if there seemed to be some good reason why people are following him like he is some kind of cult leader, maybe I'd like him more.

Yeah I agree totally. Nothing about him really sells how Gazi et al are so all in on him. I don't see any real goal for him other than an "I wanna conquer the world." But even then I just got to a part where he says “I would declare war for a child. I would burn a country to ash to avenge a fallen comrade. But I would never declare war for petty things like land or coin or treasure. A [King] should wage war for his desires, yes, but never for greed. And despite my feelings, that is how I view a war to take back my lands. They have other rulers. To take it is greed at this moment. It is a fine line. But I will not cross it.”

and I'm here thinking "The gently caress were you doing 20 years ago friendo??? Meanwhile, all his servants are nodding in agreement like it's the most obvious thing.

I feel like he's just playing the part of an over-the-top space marine from a cheesy Warhammer 40k audiobook. While that has its appeal in short bursts, this is uh, a bit much.

I dunno if this is supposed to be intentional and it's all just a [skill] of his to get people to follow him (it surely is in part) or if this is mainly Pirate's reach exceeding their grasp in writing a believable king.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Flos is probably the worst written major PoV character yeah. He's the strongest example of Pirateaba trying to write in a way that sounds cool or impressive but completely falls flat.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

in retrospect, flos ended up being a plot device to introduce as much of chandrar as possible to the reader through a single viewpoint. i think it's pretty clear he was intended to be more than that, but after the set of chapters you're reading through i feel like pirateaba stopped making characters with the intention of having them be "main" characters and started spending a lot more time on side characters instead of having extraneous (i.e. not erin or ryoka) main characters. his perspective is a lot better in the small doses you get when he's just another character in the cast

mister
Dec 18, 2011

awesmoe posted:

one of the times I'll always take a break and really picture the scene, yeah

I'm picturing Braveheart, but Mel Gibson took a big hit off a helium balloon before his pre-battle speech.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

AgentHaiTo posted:

His motivation is not that he is King of Destruction, his motivation at the start was "this Earth thing sounds interesting". It is just that being King of Destruction is the only way he can be.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ahahaha ok Selkie, you got me. I 100% did not see that one coming and it landed full-on dad joke. Bravo.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Flos always sucks but Chandrar gets okay.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

navyjack posted:

Ahahaha ok Selkie, you got me. I 100% did not see that one coming and it landed full-on dad joke. Bravo.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not really a fan TBH.

I hate him because he seems very likable, but he's getting a ton of people killed for his own ego and desire to rule the world and also he's in favor of slavery. Or rather, he's in favor of being rich, and selling people into slavery is super profitable. He has no excuse, his friend Gazi is a former [Slave] and has explained the horrors of slavery to him. He removed the class from her, but keeps selling people.

I just finished Interlude – Pisces (Revised) in book 8 and my hate has found new depths.

Same reason I dislike the Queen of Nerrhavia's Fallen. She's written as very likable but her culture is both pro-slavery AND has a rigid caste system. And this froma people who know that deep in their past they where slaves and golems.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I hate whoever figured out you could just put any number of stars you want on ad banners.

I saw an RR ad today with 10 stars.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

At least the end of the Flos chapters gave Gazi some character depth and made her more likable in her shared distaste for slavery. She'd been, up to now, just a villain. TWI: V5

Learning that Magnolia also banned slavery in the human parts of Izril also boosted my opinion of her quite a bit.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 24, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
magnolia is hilarious because for the first 5 volumes or so there is a huge dissonance between magnolia's reputation and her actions. she's like the most brilliant political leader of her generation and inspires shitloads of dread from her contemporaries but she does nothing but gently caress up repeatedly when she's actually pictured.

it gets way better later on but the early vol mags is just :allears:

Peachfart posted:

You think that TWI is dicking around now? You are about to get to the point where the number of words take off to the stratosphere because pirateaba gets a high quality keyboard and suddenly everyone is a main character.

piraeaba bought her first mechanical keyboard in between vol 6 and 7, so everything up till then was typed on a busted-rear end membrane keyboard

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I got bored of Flos and ended up skipping most his chapters until about book 6 or so. It didn't feel like i'd missed much at all by the time I caught up, and honestly he was boring and I wanted to get on with the story about the characters I gave a poo poo about. Flos never gets better, but by the time I'd cut in, he'd gotten a better supporting cast and the chandrar story stopped being about him and focused on the more interesting leaders.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Has anyone ever read a serial that started out good, turned bad (happens all the time) and then recovered to be good again? I can't think of a single serial where this has happened for me, and I've read a lot serials way longer than I should have hoping that the quality dip was temporary.

The closest thing I can think of that does what I'm thinking of is Cradle. Almost every other book in the series ranges from meh to bad, but the other half are amazing. In other genres, it's not uncommon to have a weird mix of good and bad (e.g. even-odd rule for Star Trek movies, most TV series have at least a few stinkers and even bad series can have episodes which are great), but I've never seen a web serial recover after a nosedive.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Pact by wildbow starts strong, drags quite a bit I the beginning and then really improves once Blake goes to Toronto.

BTDM has that rough patch when Elaine is hanging out with the elves, and then gets good again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

Has anyone ever read a serial that started out good, turned bad (happens all the time) and then recovered to be good again? I can't think of a single serial where this has happened for me, and I've read a lot serials way longer than I should have hoping that the quality dip was temporary.

Don't know about 'good again' but the author of Immortality Starts With Generosity ran it into the ground, put it on hiatus, then came back months later, wrapped it up and started a very different second volume that's doing alright.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Pact by wildbow starts strong, drags quite a bit I the beginning and then really improves once Blake goes to Toronto.

BTDM has that rough patch when Elaine is hanging out with the elves, and then gets good again.

Yeah I was about to say, my elf arc was not the best. You can literally see the chapters where I stopped, took a break to fight burnout, got on medication, and resumed.

I was also trying to write something very tricky, slowly bringing it forward, and COMPLETELY failed in that respect. Part of the break and turnaround was axing that entire plotline, but a number of aspects continued to show through and weaken the entire arc that was already there.

I learned my lessons though!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This scientific investigation of the portal door is really tickling my fancy. The Toren chapter earlier was kinda cool and maybe a prelude to him (her? They were flipping gender pronouns constantly through it) developing an actual conscience. I don't know what the general fan base thinks, but I think Toren could easily still be salvaged from villainy. They were essentially a baby with no understanding of morals. It'd be like decrying a toddler who someone gave a gun to and started shooting people. Like yeah, it's not good, but also you can't really expect the baby to understand what they were doing was wrong.. TWI Vol 5

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Well, Mark of the Fool just had an interesting development (if you’re not reading Mark of the Fool, start reading Mark of the Fool it’s pretty good): Turns out that The Traveler is an isekai from a superhero universe. Normally this would make me really uneasy, but the author has earned some trust.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

navyjack posted:

Well, Mark of the Fool just had an interesting development (if you’re not reading Mark of the Fool, start reading Mark of the Fool it’s pretty good): Turns out that The Traveler is an isekai from a superhero universe. Normally this would make me really uneasy, but the author has earned some trust.

I really want to like that series except half the time I can't stand the MC's antics. Okay, most of the time.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Kalas posted:

I really want to like that series except half the time I can't stand the MC's antics. Okay, most of the time.

Alex can be annoying, for sure. I like it because the MC has actual relationships and friendships with others that aren’t completely one-note.

Plus the Uber-powerful possibly slightly evil Goatman wizard is awesome. When Baelin forgets that he’s the Head of a school now and supposed to be a role-model for the kiddies and starts talking about “minions” and the good old days when a sorcerer king could rampage across nations leaving the pathetic mortals quivering in their hovels before remembering he’s supposed to be a pillar of the community these days is always hilarious

navyjack fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2023

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

navyjack posted:

Turns out that The Traveler is an isekai from a superhero universe. Normally this would make me really uneasy, but the author has earned some trust.
I had assumed that she was an isekai of some sort, but from a superhero universe is an interesting twist

Also Mark of the Fool has the same vibes that corny dad jokes do, so I get that's not everyone's taste even if I dig it.
My problem with the story is how chapters end on cliffhangers so drat often. Like with 3000 word chapters it's effectively impossible to avoid cliffhangers, but he totally leans into it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
huh, which species should I add to my fantasy setting? Of course! Street Sharks!

it's not the highlight of my day, but it's a decent read and chapters aren't too long.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I don't think a sorta meh arc followed by more good stuff is rare at all. There's a lot of serials which have a clear inflection point where the author's original idea ran out or the story just sort of falls apart and those never recover, but I think those are usually pretty easy to distinguish from the ones where the author just had an idea that didn't work out as well as they thought it would.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

mark of the fool just got way too slow and unfocused. like it spent three chapters on a side character going on a bad date and a dozen chapters on alex buying and renovating a bakery. i stopped reading when they were going on their third trip to the hells.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think the thing that put me off Mark of the Fool is that Alex felt a little too perfect. It's hard for me to come up with things he's supposed to be bad at (other than his blessing, of course). Of course, web serials are full of MCs who are cool and badass, and that's not a bad thing, but even there most of the good ones have pretty clear character flaws or stuff they should work on.

There are definitely worse series, though. It's slower than I'd like, too, but that's just my preference; I think people get misled by the adventure story hook, but it's mostly slice of life in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the author giving him a gigantic war golem with explosion rays that negates his biggest weakness was certainly a choice