Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Pootybutt posted:

I never got the argument about GW having the least characterization or "fun moments" between the cast, I think ppl mistake the generally more serious tone right after 4, the focus on The Mission, w a lack of that

Very much agree with this, people who think Part 5 is "missing the fun of earlier parts" or whatever are likely coming straight off of Part 4, which I think screws with how they read Part 5. It's an extremely different vibe, and people seem to have trouble grasping that, so they rail on it for not being something it was never trying to be. It's not going to have as many small little character moments because it's not a leisurely story taking place over the summer in a sleepy little Japanese town, but the ones it does have are all extremely memorable. Legitimately, if a friend who was 100% unfamiliar with Jojo asked me to show them a single out of context scene to try and convince them to get into it, it would be the torture dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Very much agree with this, people who think Part 5 is "missing the fun of earlier parts" or whatever are likely coming straight off of Part 4, which I think screws with how they read Part 5. It's an extremely different vibe, and people seem to have trouble grasping that, so they rail on it for not being something it was never trying to be. It's not going to have as many small little character moments because it's not a leisurely story taking place over the summer in a sleepy little Japanese town, but the ones it does have are all extremely memorable. Legitimately, if a friend who was 100% unfamiliar with Jojo asked me to show them a single out of context scene to try and convince them to get into it, it would be the torture dance.

Different vibes, plus there are still lots of fun character moments in the action itself, or stuff that just comes off as funny. Mista screaming GOLD EXPERIENCE for Giorno, or his many iconic self-shootings. The way Abbachio is always like that around Giorno. Fugo swearing loyalty to him in embarrassing sincerity as he looks like he's gonna die. The snowboard tech. Narancia's bs carries whole episodes. Lots of stuff, slightly less in the vein of *The Morioh boys squat around a pool, discussing farts* and more like *and Polnareff kicked sand in the innocent beggars' faces before schooling their friend on cool vengeance speeches*

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think the fact that so many people are mentioning Mista, a character I always found obnoxious, as the best one says it all about how I feel about part 5. The character I liked the most was Abacchio because he was totally right about Giorno. Other than that they just failed to resonate with me, even if the fights were cool.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Part four is significantly elevated by having maybe the best villain in all of Jojo. The main cast is good and we get both Jotaro and Joseph, but Yoshikage Kira truly elevates part 4 to a higher level.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Part four is significantly elevated by having maybe the best villain in all of Jojo. The main cast is good and we get both Jotaro and Joseph, but Yoshikage Kira truly elevates part 4 to a higher level.

The low-key, semi slice-of-life aspects (I think just about any story can be enhanced by having characters just hang out for at least a chapter or two) and my favourite villain in pretty much anything ever are what make it so good even in the absence of a standout set-piece on the level of the train fight or the Ghiaccio encounter, so 100% agreed on that.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

kira is not a good villain and even if he were he still wouldnt be the actual best villain, funny valentine. part 5 is the best and part 7 is just barely in second. loving part 9 so far

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Paper Lion posted:

kira is not a good villain

what the gently caress

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

what the gently caress

A lot of people struggle to take Kira and Diavolo seriously because we don't get 40 episodes of them being invincible (Kira, leaving no evidence for 15 years. Diavolo leaving no traces of his identity nearly his entire life), we join the story when they will eventually fall and be defeated

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paper Lion posted:

Neo_Crimson posted:

what the gently caress

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

huh???????? why.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think Pucci is easily my favorite Jojo villain. The man loving Struggles more than any of the others and his constant every sharpening resolve is a great mirror to the usual Jojo shtick to the point he becomes a Joestar by becoming this dead weight on all of Fate/Gravity.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

JJBA has many great villains and a couple very weak ones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Even the weak ones still have great designs to prop them up.

Like Diavolo is whatever, but him and King Crimson look cool as hell so evens out a bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And JJL's is 89 years old.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Diavolo is the weakest villain of them all in my opinion (not counting Part 8, since it doesn't really have a villain, just a final antagonist sort of).

King Crimson is a great stand, and Doppio is awesome, but Diavolo as the Boss just has no real impact or personality apart from not wanting to be identified by anyone.

For me the thing that makes a jojo villain lies in whatever mission statement they give that is driving them along. For Pucchi, it's his concept of heaven as the gravity of fate. For Valentine, it's about taking the first napkin. For Kira, he just wants to live quietly.

Harder to pinpoint Dio's especially across all parts. I don't want to just say it's world domination because that's a little simple. But Dio's personality is strong enough that a simple goal like that suits him.

I don't know what you say the equivalent for Diavolo is. Prior to the revelation of the Requiem stand concept, I don't really know what he wanted apart from selling drugs and not being known about. It's just not a strong foundation to build a good villain on.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Gully Foyle posted:

Harder to pinpoint Dio's especially across all parts.

gently caress Jojo.

Also that Jojo.

But especially Jojo.

But especially Jojo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
diavolo was probably correct to be afraid, because anonymity was all that protected him from some random stand user assassinating him. the best defense against unknown stand users is to not fight them. (the second best defense is, of course, to transform your tooth into a jellyfish and have it absorb urine.)

unfortunately, this sensible course of action did not make him a particularly interesting character.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Even the weak ones still have great designs to prop them up.

Like Diavolo is whatever, but him and King Crimson look cool as hell so evens out a bit.

Both Diavolo and Giorno are a little boring and lack personality compared to other characters in their own part. The supporting cast however is great and there's lots of great individual moments between them. Buccarati is great, his crew is great, Doppio is great. The assassin team has lots of cool personality and flair for the most part. But Giorno himself is bit of a stick in the mud who only really interacts with people while fighting and just disappears into the background the rest of the time. Except for jellyfish I guess. And Diavolo isn't much better. Adding Doppio was the best thing Araki could have done though because he does make up for a lot.

Still, It kinda sucks when the main protagonist and antagonist are kinda boring. But it's only relative to some of the other parts where Jojo and the main villain have lots of personality. Like compare them to Jolyne and Pucci and it's no contest.

There's no such thing as a bad part though, Jojo is always good. It's just the really good Jojos set a very high bar that's hard to beat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gully Foyle posted:

Harder to pinpoint Dio's especially across all parts. I don't want to just say it's world domination because that's a little simple. But Dio's personality is strong enough that a simple goal like that suits him.
Yeah, I think Dio's overly simplistic plan works for his insane ego, like in part 1 he was calling himself an Emperor and he'd barely conquered a little hamlet. He didn't know how he was going to bridge that gap but he was already there in his head. Then in part 3, he's had a hundred years to think about it, and has decided the flaw in his plan was that he didn't eliminate all the Joestars first. Then he can become emperor of the world and force people to feed him grapes or something

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Diavolo is only saved by having Doppio, and I believe Diavolo bleeding out and dying in the colloseum would've led to a much better final fight. Doppio, filled with rage, wouldn't have allowed for a final arc to be "walking down the street".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vookatos posted:

Diavolo is only saved by having Doppio, and I believe Diavolo bleeding out and dying in the colloseum would've led to a much better final fight. Doppio, filled with rage, wouldn't have allowed for a final arc to be "walking down the street".

Doppio getting one hell of a battlefield promotion and having a few minutes to learn how to use King Crimson would be a lot of fun to read

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Vookatos posted:

That would have been a way better resolution to the body swapping thing for sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would not buy the explanation of how Silver Chariot Requiem works coming from Doppio

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DIO determines that the reason the Joestars continue to oppose his every movie is not because he's a huge rear end in a top hat, but because of [fate] and so dreams up a whole bunch of bullshit involving rhinoceros beetles and the state of Florida with which he entrusts his new best friend, a 16 year-old barely out of seminary, to achieve.

RareAcumen posted:

I would not buy the explanation of how Silver Chariot Requiem works coming from Doppio

I don't buy the explanation of how Silver Chariot Requiem works coming from Araki and he wrote the loving thing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Wonder of U’s pursuit was just a better Chariot Requiem battle

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Wonder of U’s pursuit was just a better Chariot Requiem battle

Fair

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

one more for the pile.

what the gently caress

anyway, i'm not saying vento is good or not, cos I don't really care that hard about it either way but i do genuinely wonder what percentage of va has no personality/is stilted is from people who read the original and dreadful english fan translation and never read it again

that english version was low key genuinely worse than duwang. it had better english in grammatical/sentence structure standards but made poo poo up, duwang is bad english but generally accurate.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Vookatos posted:

nah I still say that sounds lame, for the simple reason that who gives a flying gently caress about Doppio? Not one member of the cast, that's who. Doppio wasn't the main villain, Bruno didn't have beef w him, so what does struggling against and beating the poo poo out of, to his eyes, some rando kid(which he wouldn't do anyway) mean to him? Nothing. What does it do for Giorno to just switch the target of his animosity all part, arbitrarily last minute?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

one more for the pile.

what the gently caress

anyway, i'm not saying vento is good or not, cos I don't really care that hard about it either way but i do genuinely wonder what percentage of va has no personality/is stilted is from people who read the original and dreadful english fan translation and never read it again

that english version was low key genuinely worse than duwang. it had better english in grammatical/sentence structure standards but made poo poo up, duwang is bad english but generally accurate.

The first time I read any appreciable amount of VA was through the good translation, I just think Araki had a rare miss with the premise and structure of that part

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The anime patches a lot of holes for part 5. It and 3 are the only parts I haven't read, but from what I heard at the time from friends who had, Davidpro smoothed over a lot of what people still found rough about it even with a good translation. Also adding new stuff like scenes of La Squadra hanging out together and feeling more like a unit than they did originally.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if Dio’s part 1 plot ever made it to any history books.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I only watched the anime and felt overall that Pt3 and even Pt2 had way way stronger group dynamics and character moments. I don’t think it has anything to do with the structure or setup or setting, because in many ways they are similar to Pt2 (fetch quest in mostly european setting, oh and also ”secret island near venice”) which is much better written. I don’t think it has anything to do with whiplash coming in directly from Pt4. I just think for whatever reason Araki did not manage to write the group nearly as well as in previous parts. Maybe he just wanted to try something different, more serious tone or more action oriented or whatever, and it didn’t work ot as well as previous parts.

Like some concrete examples are Pt2 Caesar’s death vs the deaths in Pt5, the earlier was much more impactful and really hurt whereas in Pt5, meh. Or Torture Dance and Piss Jellyfish are funny jokes but not nearly as funny as Polnareff’s quest for a clean toilet, or the entire group playing along in faking Avdol’s death, or basically any time Old Joseph opens his dumb loud engrish mouth or flies a plane. It just comes down to, the jokes and character moments where fewer and Simply Just Not As Good.

Thinking about Pt6, it also has a even more serious tone and had even less wacky hijinks, but does everything just so much better (except for the ultramax security bit) and feels a lot more self confident. I just think Araki’s writing style was evolving and Pt5 was him trying something new and making mistakes along the way.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 24, 2023

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

nah I still say that sounds lame, for the simple reason that who gives a flying gently caress about Doppio? Not one member of the cast, that's who. Doppio wasn't the main villain, Bruno didn't have beef w him, so what does struggling against and beating the poo poo out of, to his eyes, some rando kid(which he wouldn't do anyway) mean to him? Nothing. What does it do for Giorno to just switch the target of his animosity all part, arbitrarily last minute?
This all makes sense, but if switching villains would lead to a better confrontation than soul-sniffing and walking down the street I'd be ok with turtle Polnareff becoming the villain.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Pootybutt posted:

Sure, but I don't care about Diavolo and I do care about Doppio

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Diavolo and Doppio being in separate bodies could have lead to some fun shenanigans if it meant Epitaph and King Crimson were separated. Like Diavolo trying to get some future predictions from a dying Doppio or if Diavolo was stuck with Epitaph and had to reckon with a bad future he had no way to erase

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

one more for the pile.

This was the case for me at least. Watching the anime definitely helped my view of part 5, but in the end I still put it in the same place ranking wise.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Part 5 takes place over like 5 days at most. So it makes sense it would feel fast paced.

9 days. from March 29 to April 6

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobjr posted:

I wonder if Dio’s part 1 plot ever made it to any history books.

I feel like that whole thing just gets written off as "plague took an isolated village".

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Boss-u~ should have taken Trish away entirely to be disposed of instead of leaving her hand and maybe Bruno would have just shrugged it off as being the Boss-u's~ ominous stand power and then maybe he could have continued hiding like he liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Vookatos posted:

This all makes sense, but if switching villains would lead to a better confrontation than soul-sniffing and walking down the street I'd be ok with turtle Polnareff becoming the villain.

it wouldn't, i mean jojo made goin down that drat street p epic. where's the burn here, what was Crazy D is Unbreakable but *stands in a street, goes in a house*

heavy downpour warning is just *lying still in a courtyard*