Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's Roger's move. The word, kamusari, is used in shinto myth to refer to a god dying.

Extremely rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, Roger uses it when Oden charges him at their first meeting

Ch966 p3

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 24, 2023

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Oden bounced back after taking that move head-on. Kid and his entire crew got wiped by it. Makes u think

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kid ultimately didn’t have what it really takes to be the Pirate King and Shanks read his rear end for the filth he is lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kid's definitely weaker than Oden imo but I wouldn't be surprised if Roger was holding back a tiny bit, since he wanted Oden to travel with him.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i do think that, narratively, kidd probably shouldnt have been wiped out by a single attack even from shanks, but im fine with oda just wrapping that poo poo up ASAP because this was the best way of hyping up shanks and frankly if kidds not relevant to the story anymore outside of his poneglyphs, thats cool.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The end of some narrative arcs are naturally gonna fold into the finale and that is fine because some characters just cannot hang at this level (Kid, Lucci, probably Law). Feel like a theme of this arc is gonna be “what does it actually take to be an emperor” and we will see why Shanks, Blackbeard, Luffy and Buggy all deserve a legit shot at the crown

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

anime was right posted:

i do think that, narratively, kidd probably shouldnt have been wiped out by a single attack even from shanks, but im fine with oda just wrapping that poo poo up ASAP because this was the best way of hyping up shanks and frankly if kidds not relevant to the story anymore outside of his poneglyphs, thats cool.

I think if you look at it a certain way, Oda gets to have his cake and eat it too with the future sight from Shanks. Kid gets to demonstrate to the audience what he's capable of, and the stakes are high to us in that moment without actually doing any damage or casualties to random characters. And at the same time, Shanks is portrayed as a near-godlike being, which is how we want to see him in this final arc.

I do hope we get just one more showing from Kid later in the series. I don't care too much about him fully redeeming himself, but for the amount of screentime he and Killer got in Wano, I'd be slightly disappointed if they never did anything again. Kid can either realize that he can only ever accomplish anything with the help of others (which is basically what Law did), or he can go out in a self-destructive blaze in the final war and cause some real chaos with that railgun. I'd be ok with either.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Scholtz posted:

Kid's definitely weaker than Oden imo but I wouldn't be surprised if Roger was holding back a tiny bit, since he wanted Oden to travel with him.

Yeah, Shanks was going all-out to protect his friends while Roger was just there to have a fun fight with Whitebeard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Exit, pursued by a Shanks

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's funny how Law and Kidd were introduced side by side and Law has gone on to have a deep, involved backstory and ties to multiple figures high up on the grand scheme of things...

And Kidd has so far existed as The Dude Who Keeps Getting Clowned On by Emperors

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Law has been helped by being crazy popular with the fans. He outpaced most of the Straw Hats in his popularity poll appearances and even placed #2 behind Luffy once, so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it out of the Blackbeard fight unscathed.

Kidd was usually the non-Straw Hat Supernova closest to Law in the polls, but there was still a huge gap between them, so it's no surprise that he takes on the jobber role, as he's the perfect person to do it. He's just powerful and popular enough for Shanks' victory to mean something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Law has been helped by being crazy popular with the fans

That's because Law is a Strawhat member in everything but name at this point

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Law is also a D so he has that going for him too]

Kid might as well be dead since his dream has been shattered - he lost his crew, his ship, and his Lode polygryph.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

yum posted:

Law is also a D so he has that going for him too

Kidd is also a D too, a massive D even!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i wouldnt be shocked if luffy finds a washed up kidd on the outskirts of elbaf and kidds like "man i hosed up huh let me do something else" and follows luffy or something

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

anime was right posted:

If One Piece has a weakness its that Oda's choices on what to draw out and what to compress are arbitrary. I think Kid deserved a fight that went on for one or two chapters rather than getting chumped in one hit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

It makes perfect narrative sense- it's just not Kidd's narrative. This is our introduction to Shanks. There's a lot we could presume about him, but this chapter demonstrated a lot about him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kidd's cruelty and lack of mercy was built up this whole time with this moment in mind. Sure we could have seen Shanks one shot a cruel and powerful pirate that we were told about several pages earlier, but Kidd was a character we were aware of for the last decade.

And Shanks just wipes that away in a single attack. As you said, it's there to hype of Shanks and does an amazing job at it. A drawn out fight that 'does Kidd justice' wouldn't have been as effective at that.

Pureauthor posted:

It's funny how Law and Kidd were introduced side by side and Law has gone on to have a deep, involved backstory and ties to multiple figures high up on the grand scheme of things...

And Kidd has so far existed as The Dude Who Keeps Getting Clowned On by Emperors

This is the guy who beat Big Mom. Literally everyone in the world is a better contender for looking pathetic compared to an Emperor, except Luffy and Law. Kidd took one out.

Kidd was introduced at the same time as Law as someone more notorious than Luffy, who had straight up attacked a Government institution and declared war on the world at that point. While Kidd was notorious for killing civilians.

He was introduced as a cool guy, sure, but more than that a really bad guy.

I don't think we were let down on how cool and powerful he was, but this is him being a bad guy catching up with him.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

side_burned posted:

If One Piece has a weakness its that Oda's choices on what to draw out and what to compress are arbitrary. I think Kid deserved a fight that went on for one or two chapters rather than getting chumped in one hit.

yeah. i think he should have lost in a few blows with shanks going 100% all out from the get-go, but like kidd getting a single scratch/scar in would have made it worth it. shanks should 10000% have had the upper hand, but kidd isnt really that weak

all things considered its not really the end of the world. kidds not that narrative important anymore, i feel. oda decided not to bloat the story which is fair

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Here’s how the Kid and Shanks fight should have gone:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I think Shanks just caught him flat-footed and his railgun exploding in his face probably didn't help.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think the whole point is to show how strong Shanks is when he's serious. They spent the whole chapter showing that Shanks wasn't really taking the situation seriously and then the moment he foresaw how devastating Kid's attack was gonna be to his friends his whole demeanor changed from "let's have a fun little fight" to "I need to stop this right now."

I think they're also making some parallels with Shanks and Luffy. Luffy's declared multiple times how much he needs to be strong so he can keep his friends by his side, Shanks has a whole fleet of relatively weak friends that he'll go sicko mode to protect. There's also the contrast that there's definitely something darker going on with Shanks than we've seen so far and will probably learn more about in the near future.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThingOne posted:

I think Shanks just caught him flat-footed and his railgun exploding in his face probably didn't help.

That's how I read it. Kidd put his all into a long range attack as an opening volley and didn't expect Shanks to jump halfway across the ocean and "nothin' personnel, kidd" him, so he didn't have the time to properly defend himself

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When the Strawhats get to Elbaf we find Kidd having replaced Rockstar as the "designated errand boy" on the Redhair Pirates.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Funky Valentine posted:

When the Strawhats get to Elbaf we find Kidd having replaced Rockstar as the "designated errand boy" on the Redhair Pirates.

Didn't Ace have a phase where he tried to kill Whitebeard a bunch of times despite being part of his crew?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

jassa posted:

(Unspoilering since this isn't related to the chapter at all)

I'm a fan of the theory that Birka (the non-moon version) is located directly above Elbaf. I'd love it if part of the Elbaf arc involved Urouge and a trip up the beanstalk tree to explore the ruined ancient city.

i'd not heard that idea before but instantly i love it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eiba posted:

I don't think we were let down on how cool and powerful he was, but this is him being a bad guy catching up with him.

I am so glad that he got his comeuppance. I was worried that he was gonna become a Vegeta and Oda was gonna have us forget all the civilian murder. But instead that murderous nature is exactly what got Kidd obliterated with extreme prejudice. Beautiful. :discourse:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tbp posted:

Anything to get more "Luffy plummets the crew to their deaths" scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2-Lx3G36U

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

tbp posted:

Oh hey something unspoilered
It's neat.
I'm still hoping for a coop one piece game that isn't 80% dlc

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Eiba posted:

Yeah i think this is more or less the whole thing in a nutshell and Oda built it up through the chapter - Shanks looking at his history, making a bunch of clearly weak joke characters that happen to be friends with Shanks, Kidd's (planned) opening shot, the peeks at what would have happened. Yeah Kidd did some cool poo poo but this is who he is at the end of the day, it's what defined his career as a pirate, and he finally ran into someone fully capable of stopping him and with no apparent interest in recruiting someone like him.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Kidd got one-shotted because he was on a boat, which sank. Devil Fruit users at sea are vulnerable. At least, that's how I rationalize it. Might've been a longer engagement if they were on land.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Can I be completely honest with you? I had forgotten that Kid had a devil fruit entirely.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

if you think about it I doubt many characters would be able to get hit by Shanks unguarded like that and not be down for the count. If Law took that hit head on too he would also be KO'd instantly. Obviously its Kid's fault for being off-guard, but if we're talking raw durability, there are only a handful of characters who would be able to tank it. We saw how many hits Kid took from Big Mom and Kaido (and Hawkins to an extent) so it's not like Kid is shabby in this department

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
add to that we just had an arc where it was repeated over and over that a frontal assault on a yonko is suicidal, and when kidd and luffy both tried it they were instantly sent packing against kaido. only when they ambushed him when his guard was at its lowest did they even get the chance to fight him for real. this time kidd just loving sailed right up to shanks and was screaming about the damage he was going to wreck before even getting off the boat lol

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kidd also had the chaos and attrition Big mom was facing on his side. Also Law. Hes no slouch but he had a favorable match-up.
Shanks is a dude who would give his own arm for a kid hes fond of. Hes not going to gently caress around if you mess with his friends, so Kidd got max power from the start.

Im just not that attached to Kidd anyways so him jobbing isnt a big disappointment

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 24, 2023

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

It is for some reason important to point out that kidd got owned instantly because he's an idiot, rather than because he's weak, people get really touchy about this power level stuff

he just sails up to one of the top 5 strongest people in the whole world trying to do his big super move and it literally blew up directly in his face

the bitcoin of weed fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 24, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Powerlevels are bullshit.

Anyway, its funny that Kidd got owned.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

That's how I read it. Kidd put his all into a long range attack as an opening volley and didn't expect Shanks to jump halfway across the ocean and "nothin' personnel, kidd" him, so he didn't have the time to properly defend himself

Same, also it's probably really hard to dodge anything with a gigantic railgun for an arm. It was the worst possible moment for Kidd to get attacked.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Overall I'm fine with how thing went down, but I'll definitely be interested to see it in the anime with the same general tone though more drawn out. Of course that could mean a full three episodes dedicated to the fight with a middle episode flashback tossed in for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

kidd doing the fireball face while getting sent to hell forever