Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This dinner with his professor friend is giving me social anxiety by proxy

Look dude. Goethe was actually different than you think, you loving IDIOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This book is really a warning about going goblin mode but also I'm not that smart so maybe I'm not getting it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This book was written like a hundred years ago and then as now one of life's greatest annoyances is being locked in a social situation with a former friend who's turned into a goddam nazi

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Lawman 0 posted:

This book is really a warning about going goblin mode but also I'm not that smart so maybe I'm not getting it.

I legitimately believe it’s a book about how locking yourself away from the world will only breed contempt and misery while, idk, actually living can be a lot more rewarding. Though I can confused by what exactly Hermine represents in contrast. The need for balance?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"Hey, man, so you're thinking about suicide? I want you to listen to me seriously: have you considered prostitutes, jazz, and cocaine?"

I do really like how relentlessly positive he is about everything. Bourgeois stability? Great if that's your thing! Cocaine fueled orgies? Hey man that can be cool too!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
next month suggestions?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

next month suggestions?

my copy of the pillow book just came in, did we do that yet

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

next month suggestions?

Have we done Locus Solus by Raymond Roussel?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 25, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Tree Goat posted:

my copy of the pillow book just came in, did we do that yet

This could be fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There are a few books with that title, you mean the old one?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I do, yes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Meanwhile, everyone come listen to Pablo with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWNU_wiSKw

quote:

In 1926, Hesse also became acquainted with jazz music, attending Swiss performances of the Revue Nègre featuring Josephine Baker and Sidney Bechet; Steven C. Tracy, professor of Afro-American Studies at the University of Massachusetts, writes, "the character of Pablo... was inspired by Bechet's playing"[2]

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Discendo Vox posted:

Have we done Locus Solus by Raymond Roussel?

Have we done Don Quixote yet?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

"Hey, man, so you're thinking about suicide? I want you to listen to me seriously: have you considered prostitutes, jazz, and cocaine?"

I do really like how relentlessly positive he is about everything. Bourgeois stability? Great if that's your thing! Cocaine fueled orgies? Hey man that can be cool too!

Comedy option: after the relentlessly optimistic ending of Steppenwolf, how about following it up with The Conspiracy Against The Human Race?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bilirubin posted:

I don't believe so, no.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Hi thread.

Up until the middle of Steppenwolf I wasn't really sure I could finish it. I found some of Harry's introspections really tedious before then. Also I was and am uncomfortable with how much I relate to Harry. As I read on though I realise I need to see whether things get better for Harry, especially now that Harry has met Hermine and now Maria :unsmith: . Whether those are good or bad developments I don't know yet, but I'm so hoping they're good that the pages are turning faster and faster.

I am pleasantly surprised by this book so far. I think I'd recommend it.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

This book was written like a hundred years ago and then as now one of life's greatest annoyances is being locked in a social situation with a former friend who's turned into a goddam nazi

:yeah:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

Checking archives, yes, but in 2011.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Checking archives, yes, but in 2011.

If we're able to re-do old books from the BotM, then what about John Ringo's Ghost, Richard A. Knaak Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood, or Marian Engel's Bear :troll:

But for real, if we can plumb the archives from books that were done more than seven years ago? Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, White Noise, The Atrocity Exhibition, The Blind Owl?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

poisonpill posted:

If we're able to re-do old books from the BotM, then what about John Ringo's Ghost, Richard A. Knaak Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood, or Marian Engel's Bear :troll:

But for real, if we can plumb the archives from books that were done more than seven years ago? Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, White Noise, The Atrocity Exhibition, The Blind Owl?

I'd generally prefer to do things we haven't already done because part of the goal is "hey, have y'all heard of this?" and then dropping some cool new poo poo on the table. I'll try to get a poll up tonight though. Sometimes it's worthwhile to hit the classics.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 28, 2023

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

“As I threw off my wet coat I came upon the little book, and took it out. It was one of those little books wretchedly printed on wretched paper that are sold at fairs, "Were you born in January?" or "How to be twenty years younger in a week."”

Just starting Steppenwolf, and I’m struck by how much these sound like clickbait. Plus ça change…

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

If we're just throwing ideas at the wall, I propose Philip Wylie's 1930 novel Gladiator, the partial inspiration for Superman and also basically lovely Reverse Forrest Gump, being the story of a superhuman freak who desperately wants to leave their mark on history but keeps loving it up and ends up an irrelevant footnote

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ok, I'm almost done with it, but I feel like I need to read it again?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ok, I finished it. I liked it, but I don't think I'm smart enough to fully grasp all the symbolism going on. 🫠

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lawman 0 posted:

Ok, I finished it. I liked it, but I don't think I'm smart enough to fully grasp all the symbolism going on. 🫠

I think some of the symbolism is deliberately vague and inconclusive, especially at the very end. My read is that he hasn't learned and solved every problem he has, he's just wiser than he was at the beginning.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think some of the symbolism is deliberately vague and inconclusive, especially at the very end. My read is that he hasn't learned and solved every problem he has, he's just wiser than he was at the beginning.

The war against the machines/bourgeois hits hard now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1642696228721786883?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

only eight hours left!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I think I'm going to have to tap out on Steppenwolf. I am having so much trouble getting through it, I'm about half way through and every page seems like it's the same thing over and over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

McSpankWich posted:

I think I'm going to have to tap out on Steppenwolf. I am having so much trouble getting through it, I'm about half way through and every page seems like it's the same thing over and over.

That's a fair reaction I think, nobody has to read anything.

There is a substantive "turn" in the narrative but you may have already hit it -- he's at rock bottom after the botched dinner with his ex friend and he goes to a bar and meets a hot domme babe who tells him to shape up and get into dancing and women and jazz music

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yeah Captain Splashback had said that it gets better at the end, so I kept going to eventually find that turn. I'll give it a bit more and see if it picks up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

McSpankWich posted:

Yeah Captain Splashback had said that it gets better at the end, so I kept going to eventually find that turn. I'll give it a bit more and see if it picks up.

If he's talking to a woman you've hit the turn

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 4, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
BOTM for April will be

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde!

https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/oscar-wilde/the-importance-of-being-earnest

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 5, 2023

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Kindle version is currently 39 cents

https://www.amazon.com/Importance-Being-Earnest-Oscar-Wilde-ebook/dp/B07VGGCXS8/

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Oh I just finished this. It didn't realize it would only take me like 2 hours to read. It was a fun jaunt. Stupid final line but whatever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Act 1 done. A scene setting act, with all hell to break loose next act. Extremely witty dialogue, and snobby class based social commentary. Was Wilde sending folks up or is this just the society in which he traveled? I can never really tell

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

dammit never say the name of the movie in the movie!

Anyway, how delightfully droll!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly excited for this as I haven't revisited Wilde since K-12. I remember reading this play and not really getting it in high school, or at least not having the patience for it. Good pick for me, at least.

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 11, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This was a lighthearted little read and the first of Wilde's stuff that I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I actually never read more than a passage of wilde so this is something new for me.