Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Davy Back Fight between the Red-Haired Armada and Straw Hat Armada is gonna be so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Everyone, his name is "Kid", not "Kidd". Don't give him an extra "D"; they're too important in this story.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Scholtz posted:

Everyone, his name is "Kid", not "Kidd". Don't give him an extra "D"; they're too important in this story.

shanks already gave him the d with how badly he got hosed this chapter

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh my name was Captain Kidd
As I sailed, as I sailed
Oh my name was Captain Kidd
As I sailed
Oh my name was Eustass Kidd
Marine's laws I did for forbid
And so wickedly I did as I sailed

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Useless "Crappin" Mid

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

An ongoing theme for the new world is you can't loving coast on just your fruit powers. Kidd rarely used his haki and whipped out his powers to tackle most fights, which worked fairly well most of the time, just not up against possibly the most adept haki user in the goddamned world.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

U-DO Burger posted:

The Davy Back Fight between the Red-Haired Armada and Straw Hat Armada is gonna be so good

I pray every day for this to happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Usopp and Yasopp get switched just to make sure they're never in the same room together

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ryaomon posted:

Useless "Crappin" Mid

New Thread Title coming this Sunday.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

U-DO Burger posted:

the reason i think this is gonna happen is because it gives usopp a reason to beat 10 giants at once

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

anime was right posted:

the reason i think this is gonna happen is because it gives usopp a reason to beat 10 giants at once

This goon gets it :hmmyes:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Kidd is a punk rear end bitch whose only defining characteristic was being sadistic and thinking the weak should be eliminated, and was repeatedly loving owned when he tried to fight people stronger than him alone. He was a massive loving hypocrite in a world where battles are won by believing in your dreams, and he got exactly the end he deserved. He doesn't deserve to have a cool fight where maybe he does some moves or hits Shanks one time to show how he isn't a total joke, because he *is* a total joke. Rest in Piss, guy that never mattered.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’ll be honest. I don’t get why people are mad at this guy.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

CharlestonJew posted:

That's how I read it. Kidd put his all into a long range attack as an opening volley and didn't expect Shanks to jump halfway across the ocean and "nothin' personnel, kidd" him, so he didn't have the time to properly defend himself

I have no doubt that Kidd would have done much better if he just planned on fighting Shanks. But he didn't. He tried to kill as many people as he could, abandoned his defense, and paid one hell of a price for it. If Kidd wasn't who he was, the fight would have gone much better for him, I'm sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shanks totally stomped him. I doubt even if he left the island out of it he'd have lasted any longer. Shanks probably woulda just been less prompt at handing out the ohko.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dammerung posted:

I have no doubt that Kidd would have done much better if he just planned on fighting Shanks. But he didn't. He tried to kill as many people as he could, abandoned his defense, and paid one hell of a price for it. If Kidd wasn't who he was, the fight would have gone much better for him, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, by all accounts it seems that Shanks would have been happy to have a chill fight and let Kidd walk away after. He was even concerned about whether his wounds had healed. All Kidd had to do was not immediately resort to murdering bystanders under Shank's protection.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

side_burned posted:

If One Piece has a weakness its that Oda's choices on what to draw out and what to compress are arbitrary. I think Kid deserved a fight that went on for one or two chapters rather than getting chumped in one hit.

He's consciously refusing to give Kid a "satisfying" ending - as an author - because he was a violent fool. It's a classic Taoist/Shinto morality thing - "The Violent Man Will Not Die A Natural Death" type stuff. Kid was, in the end, an animal that massacred civilians, so he doesn't go down in some grand noble duel - even though it was offered to him - instead he gets put down like a dog. Kid would have had his multiple-chapter fight in a scenario where he didn't go school shooter.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Waffleman_ posted:

Kid was lame because his epithet was "Captain." That's not a cool pirate nickname, that's your loving rank in the crew. Almost every other Supernova is also a captain lol.

"There was a boy called Eustass 'Captain' Kid, and he almost deserved it."

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

JuniperCake posted:

Oh yeah, by all accounts it seems that Shanks would have been happy to have a chill fight and let Kidd walk away after. He was even concerned about whether his wounds had healed. All Kidd had to do was not immediately resort to murdering bystanders under Shank's protection.

Yeah, it seems like Shanks was expecting Z fighter vs Saibamen 1v1 type duels while Kidd approached it from a war perspective like it was Marineford by immediately whipping out his railgun and threatening to murder everyone. Shanks switched gears pretty quickly after seeing that.

Kidd got what he asked for.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kid is basically a very high level Higuma the Bandit. We already seen how Shanks deals with that type of person 1078 chapters ago.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Kid is basically a very high level Higuma the Bandit. We already seen how Shanks deals with that type of person 1078 chapters ago.

Certainly explains all the Romance Dawn pastiche in the previous chapter

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Nice chappy, among other things it really solidifies why Marineford loving ended the instant Shanks and crew showed up and how he apparently effortlessly got Kaido to turn around on the way there

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Super Rad posted:

Nice chappy, among other things it really solidifies why Marineford loving ended the instant Shanks and crew showed up and how he apparently effortlessly got Kaido to turn around on the way there

it also explains very neatly why the only part of Shank's fleet to show up at Marineford was his main crew; the rest are a bunch of scrubs who'd get slaughtered in seconds

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I love how Shanks was ready to just have a fun little pirate squabble, until the moment he realized Kidd was about to cause major collateral damage and just instantly obliterated him. Wow

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

In fairness those bystanders called themselves pirates and responded to Kid's challenge to Shanks by charging in to attack Kid themselves. "These guys seem pretty weak, but they're an Emperor's underlings and they're gunning for me so... giant canon time," isn't completely psychopathic reasoning.

I don't think Kid was actually being absurdly cruel this chapter, he was just being serious and merciless. It's not that Kid fell that far outside the bounds of what was reasonable in this situation, it's that Shanks was really loving strong and couldn't afford to give a 'serious and merciless' opponent any slack considering how vulnerable his friends were. Shanks' whole deal is generally 'fun-loving and forgiving' so there was no room for anything but a brutal takedown when things did get serious.

I totally agree that the thematic clash was something that means at the end of the day Kid brought this on himself, but I think it's interesting to point out that this wasn't Shanks punishing him for being a vile monster. This isn't divine justice for a fundamental transgression. It's just a natural consequence of incredibly different dispositions. It's as much about how Shanks rolls as it is about how Kid approached a situation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

In fairness those bystanders called themselves pirates and responded to Kid's challenge to Shanks by charging in to attack Kid themselves. "These guys seem pretty weak, but they're an Emperor's underlings and they're gunning for me so... giant canon time," isn't completely psychopathic reasoning.

I don't think Kid was actually being absurdly cruel this chapter, he was just being serious and merciless. It's not that Kid fell that far outside the bounds of what was reasonable in this situation, it's that Shanks was really loving strong and couldn't afford to give a 'serious and merciless' opponent any slack considering how vulnerable his friends were. Shanks' whole deal is generally 'fun-loving and forgiving' so there was no room for anything but a brutal takedown when things did get serious.

I totally agree that the thematic clash was something that means at the end of the day Kid brought this on himself, but I think it's interesting to point out that this wasn't Shanks punishing him for being a vile monster. This isn't divine justice for a fundamental transgression. It's just a natural consequence of incredibly different dispositions. It's as much about how Shanks rolls as it is about how Kid approached a situation.

Yeah I agree with all this, good rear end post

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Eiba posted:

All of this is consistent with how Shanks has been portrayed since the beginning; he'll be easy going if he's the target, but if one of his friends is in genuine danger, even if that friend started the fight, he (and by extension his crew) will readily put the threat in the grave. All of this is exemplified in Chapter 1, when Lucky Roux blew a man's brains out when poo poo Got Real.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i have a feeling oda knew kid was going to die when he said i hope no one dies

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Now I’m imagining the reaction if Lucky did another surprise headshot

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
So what are we gonna do when Blackbeard shows up at Egghead and says "KROOM"

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Kidd going after Shanks's buddies felt like watching someone light a cigar while standing in a puddle of gasoline.

Actually, no, it was more like he was neck-deep in an entire ocean of the stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This latest chapter really cemented things, but I guess I really didn't think enough about the implications from a much earlier chapter where a literal Fleet Admiral immediately throwing his hands up when confronted by Shanks' First Mate. Not Shanks himself, "just" his First Mate. Considering that the new Admiral easily tore through (admittedly beaten down and chained) Queen that's saying something!

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Zodack posted:

So what are we gonna do when Blackbeard shows up at Egghead and says "KROOM"

cry and have my mom complain to shonen jump

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Jerusalem posted:

This latest chapter really cemented things, but I guess I really didn't think enough about the implications from a much earlier chapter where a literal Fleet Admiral immediately throwing his hands up when confronted by Shanks' First Mate. Not Shanks himself, "just" his First Mate. Considering that the new Admiral easily tore through (admittedly beaten down and chained) Queen that's saying something!

I always thought Kizaru was being sarcastic here, considering he completely ignored Ben Beckman's threat in the following issue and started blasting the ice, trying to hit Law's submarine as it fled the war

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I always thought Kizaru was being sarcastic here, considering he completely ignored Ben Beckman's threat in the following issue and started blasting the ice, trying to hit Law's submarine as it fled the war

It's possible, though that attack only came after Aokiji blasted ice after Law's ship which I just figured gave enough of a distraction for Kizaru to take one last shot. Even then he doesn't attempt to make any further move to leave the mast he's on, and states that he'll have to accept luck was on Luffy's side if he survived. Given he never let anybody stop him doing what he wanted without a fight first (even Reyleigh had to actually throw down with him a little to stop him attacking the Straw Hats), the fact Beckman was able to give a guy who can move at the speed of light pause from a boat's width away just by holding a gun on him suggests that Kizaru thought he couldn't take any chances against him.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Scholtz posted:

Everyone, his name is "Kid", not "Kidd".

I keep doing this out of habit because of the real life pirate's name.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It's so loving over for kid it's not even funny. #3 result for useless on Google even while in incognito mode

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:rip:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don’t know, Kidd’s big cannon looked really cool and his attack looked really impressive. And only like maybe like a couple people in the world could take a super attack from Shanks and not get destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

everyone very carefully not thinking about shanks scar....