Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Kanos posted:

The entire Hawks/Nagant subplot with a government conspiracy to uphold All Might's peace by using heroes as trained assassins to kill villains is so weird that it feels like it was imported from another series.

I really dislike it. I feel like it undermines the idea of All Might having ushered in an era of peace, since we still never really got to see the chaos of the previous era. Like it clearly shows that corruption didn't go away because we have extrajudicial government agents raised from childhood to be murderers. That's a bad thing! If Nagant and Hawks were older and All Might's era of peace made them unnecessary then it would be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I really dislike it. I feel like it undermines the idea of All Might having ushered in an era of peace, since we still never really got to see the chaos of the previous era. Like it clearly shows that corruption didn't go away because we have extrajudicial government agents raised from childhood to be murderers. That's a bad thing! If Nagant and Hawks were older and All Might's era of peace made them unnecessary then it would be okay.
That era of peace was always false and propped up entirely on His image and personal strength. That story bit plus all the villains back stories are to show that just beneath the surface this stuff was still happening. The issue with it is that just like the villains' arcs it just went nowhere in the end because we had to rush to these big stupid slap fights so all of that just got smoothed over.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I think that's exactly it, except the ones who were growing up in AfO era and are clinging to tactics that are unnecessary cruel and ruthless in the era of All Might are not the child assassins but the ones training them/deciding they are needed. In general, that whole plot beat seemed like ideal jumping point for a villain unrelated to AfO whose defeat would actually end up forcing some positive structural changes and make Deku and co. receptive to the idea that things can't stay the same after they defeat the League. Except of course the whole idea was just another thing that was completely abandoned in favor of having another 10 chapters of Shigaraki no selling ultimate attacks from minor characters, so who the gently caress knows. Maybe we will have an epilogue where Deku will go to the board and tell them to cut it out and they will apologize and disband, thus clearly fixing all problems with the Hero society... :v:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

they're actually already disbanded; they've been shut down since the end of the war arc because most of their members are dead or severely injured.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh right, so they speedran that plot even faster than I remembered. Cool :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
inexplicably Redestro's clone was meeting with them and took the hero commission people out when the war started.

Everything in the story points to hero society literally just not working. They got a mutant registration act, the cops straight up suppress info (Gran Torino flat out says this to the open discomfort of the heroes at the table with him), the hero commission has children reared as remorseless assassins to kill morally compromised heroes under the table and does so specifically to help prop up All Might's era, All Might reduces himself to a husk carrying society's anxieties on his back, and even his unrelenting goodness and perfection drives Endeavor to madness which he is inevitably rewarded for when it comes down to it. And it still fails in the end at the hands of the villains it created.

It seems really clearly set up but then a lot of the story is spent on the double-plus good characters screaming at the top of their lungs "No! No! The Status Quo is good! We swear! We'll be even gooder!" like being 15% nicer will fix it but we gotta do all the same poo poo. Tokoyami refusing to even question Hawks and Hawks being like "I'm glad I did all that extrajudicial murder so this kid didn't have to" is...not a great moral lesson.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Maybe Horikoshi liked the “maybe the republic and rebels are the bad guys and the empire is good” debates from Star Wars and tried to replicate it, since he’s a fan.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Maybe Horikoshi liked the “maybe the republic and rebels are the bad guys and the empire is good” debates from Star Wars and tried to replicate it, since he’s a fan.

No he's just doing the fairly standard "here's how society has failed so let us fix society to be better" rather than "here's how society has failed so let us tear it down and replace it". Some people think the former is naive and foolish.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Valentin posted:

instead we have AFO, and he doesn't even represent like, the darkness in the human heart. he's just one dude who wanted to very specifically be insanely, comic book level evil.
I mean let's be honest who doesn't?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

No he's just doing the fairly standard "here's how society has failed so let us fix society to be better" rather than "here's how society has failed so let us tear it down and replace it". Some people think the former is naive and foolish.

The second the one pillar of society All Might fell society in setting entirely fell apart and was torn down and every good guy has talked about how relying on one man was a mistake and how they cannot go back. They're replacing it even in story please don't make this your weird personal political grudges lol.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The second the one pillar of society All Might fell society in setting entirely fell apart and was torn down and every good guy has talked about how relying on one man was a mistake and how they cannot go back. They're replacing it even in story please don't make this your weird personal political grudges lol.

There are people saying they're not doing enough to change things in this thread, that was the point I was making. The heroes are trying to fix society to a better place than before after this collapse, not completely upend it the way the villains have, that was all I was pointing out.

I probably didn't correctly state this but I'm making the point that the heroes (specifically the younger generation) are pushing for a better version of what was before without the abuses that were happening, even if the story isn't acknowledging all of those abuses directly. Izuku's directly stated goal is to save everyone including the villains for example, rather than wanting to just destroy the villains.

The replacement that is happening is an attempt to rebuild what they had before but better, instead of build something totally new, that's all I was commenting on in a less than delicate manner.

Plenty of people bring in their political grudges into this discussion already why are you calling me out specifically.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5683/my-hero-academia-chapter-383?&date=24-3-2023-12

MINA CHAPTER!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally, some good loving food

E: well, in terms of Mina doing something, anyway

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 24, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i'm gonna have to hope the official translation provides more context via dialogue in addition to the clean artwork because this is straight up gobbledygook to me on a visual level

e: i think partly i've just reached the limits of my own ability to remember minutia here. hori i don't even have any idea who the class b people with the softening quirk and rule quirk are, there is absolutely zero way i'm going to remember the sludge villain from chapter 1. mina finally doing something is nice but making her monologue to a dude whose name we've literally never learned about how he's also weak and has friends or something probably is a weird choice writing-wise.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 24, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Valentin posted:

i'm gonna have to hope the official translation provides more context via dialogue in addition to the clean artwork because this is straight up gobbledygook to me on a visual level

That first panel where Machia pops out I thought for sure Mt. Lady lost her arm to satisfy Horikoshi's Maimed Woman quota but the art is so weird I genuinely can't tell if that's what happened

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestonJew posted:

That first panel where Machia pops out I thought for sure Mt. Lady lost her arm to satisfy Horikoshi's Maimed Woman quota but the art is so weird I genuinely can't tell if that's what happened

I don't think so, she had both in a later panel.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Great chapter. Mina looks awesome, her horns growing longer when her quirk got stronger is a cool touch.

It's pretty insane that her acid was strong enough to melt through Machia's hide. She's probably one of the strongest in the class now. Another contender for the Top 10 when this is all over.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Kodai making a giant wrench for Mt. Lady to use is pretty cool tbh

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Good chapter, they clearly should just focus on Mina and forget the rest of this imo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mina spin-off series please

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe I've just been broke brained by the quality of the series lately but this chapter was just total garbage to me. It feels bad, not just even on a story or character level or whatever but it feels like it's just bad sequential art where I have only a vague idea of what the gently caress is going on half the time.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

yeah, i could barely tell what was happening at all in that chapter, and i doubt a better scan/translation's really gonna help here

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh right, Mina is actually loving terrifying :stonklol:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I have to agree. My eyes just sort of slid off most of that, except for the bit where I squinted at the blurry wrench knocked out of Mt. Lady's hand to figure out if she'd just lost an arm.

I think this chapter might be a microcosm of the problem with the story right now where it feels simultaneously too short and too long. One chapter just isn't very long to quickly set up a new location, remind us who's there and what they're trying to do, set up a conflict, tie back to an earlier enotional beat, then climax and return to the present. At the same time, spending a chapter on flashback to explain how Machia ended up here even when the amswer was already clear ("Shinsou hijacked him") doesn't help the pacing of the actual final battle at all, especially if this just turns into yet another reversal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh right, Mina is actually loving terrifying :stonklol:

There’s a few characters in this series that would make for absolutely terrifying villains (Mina and the mushroom girl are at the top of the list)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Following the end of season 6 of the anime, they predictably announced the 7th season. Now, there's no date yet, but they DID share that Romi Park will be voicing Star and Stripe

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
who care

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The art is getting real messed up, so to summarize what happend here: We had a Leverage flashback to how Shinso got to Machia, had some lead-up context so his mind control would sink in extra good on Machia, and is now commanding Machia even if Machia obviously thinks otherwise. Other people got somewhat bonked around but presumably any hero who was 'fighting' Machia is doing kayfabe to guide him to the key point. Also, Mina vaporized the dude from the earlier part of the show.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the only part that really confuses me now is what the hell mina was talking about with her speech

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah I don't really see what was confusing about this. Compared to how dense things like One Piece chapters get this was fairly simple.

The only thing I missed when reading it the first time is that apparently Mina overusing her quirk caused her skin to lose its pigment and one of her eyes to turn back to white. Which is kinda freaky! I wonder if other heteromorphic features could be affected by overuse. Could Tokoyami's feathers fall out if he uses Dark Shadow too much?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 25, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the translation said she was dehydrated. Yeah the eye thing is a pretty big one, but folks can look pretty hosed up (totally pale, jaundiced. bloodshot eyes) under duress so I figure it's not her 'reverting' as much as showing stress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Did she just kill that sludge man

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This comic has really serious issues with paneling. The art is good but it's all composed in total incomprehensible ways sometimes. I don't feel like studying the pages to try to figure out what the hell is going on. It should just be obvious, like One Punch Man

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
one punch man is really good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Yeah I don't really see what was confusing about this. Compared to how dense things like One Piece chapters get this was fairly simple.

The only thing I missed when reading it the first time is that apparently Mina overusing her quirk caused her skin to lose its pigment and one of her eyes to turn back to white. Which is kinda freaky! I wonder if other heteromorphic features could be affected by overuse. Could Tokoyami's feathers fall out if he uses Dark Shadow too much?

i regret to inform you that those "feathers" are human hair

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I think the translation said she was dehydrated. Yeah the eye thing is a pretty big one, but folks can look pretty hosed up (totally pale, jaundiced. bloodshot eyes) under duress so I figure it's not her 'reverting' as much as showing stress.

I was thinking that maybe her acid is stored in her skin or her cells in general and using too much of it literally drained it out of parts of her body. It definitely isn't stress, you can see her eye half-white, half-black.

Oxxidation posted:

i regret to inform you that those "feathers" are human hair

Oh yeah..... I forgot that he was a weird furry birdman with a teeth-beak. Maybe a better example would be Koda's rock skin flaking off if he overstains his animal control. Or Best Jeanists neck shrinking.

Now that I think about it Koda's head also got bigger and spikier when his quirk evolved. I guess heteromorphic quirks do get more pronounced in those conditions then.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Did she just kill that sludge man

Nah, he tried to escape before Shinso stopped him with mind control.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-383/chapter/26594?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015774

I'm very happy to see unnamed Sludge villain again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The containment facility is based on the Chernobyl sarcophagus, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know. I don't read Marvel anymore.