Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Access shouldn't be a problem. Don't tell anyone but the "attic" is going to be a proper useable space with a permanent staircase of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ah, so you are protected?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Huh we have those nest things in the house we just moved into. No instructions or info left behind so I mostly ignore them.

They make a dim glow in the hallway which is handy at 3am when going for a piss.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

freelop posted:

They make a dim glow in the hallway which is handy at 3am when going for a piss.

Pissing in your own hallway isn't big or clever imo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

freelop posted:

Huh we have those nest things in the house we just moved into. No instructions or info left behind so I mostly ignore them.

Why don't you just use the toilet?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

ffs

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pro-tip for laying cable, minimize the number of right angles so it's easier to run them through the pipes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

vanity slug posted:

Pro-tip for laying cable, minimize the number of right angles so it's easier to run them through the pipes.

Making it real complicated just taking a poo poo IMO, plumbing should be designed to handle it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're making GBS threads right angles you're either a wombat or need hospital

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you're making GBS threads right angles

come on now, i don't think the OP is -that- obsessed

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Did Google ever fix that nest issue of them getting stuck active and neverending screaming?

I've got 5 of them for 3 years and that's never happened. They've already (potentially) saved our lives once from carbon monoxide so cheers to them I say.

The only issue is the notification that they're about to self-test themselves has started coming after the self-test has already gone off.
Useful!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
More smart electronics should just be constantly screaming imo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

More smart electronics should just be constantly screaming imo

I mean, a majority are. If you consider screaming on the EM spectrum.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

I've got 5 of them for 3 years and that's never happened. They've already (potentially) saved our lives once from carbon monoxide so cheers to them I say.

The only issue is the notification that they're about to self-test themselves has started coming after the self-test has already gone off.
Useful!

yeah we had the Nest alarms in my previous house and never had any issues. I actually bought them to replace the dogshit literal cheapest thing at home depot the previous owners had put up which would just randomly go off at all hours due to dust or humidity and traumatize my kids. So overall much LESS screaming

We left them installed when we sold the place so maybe freelop is living in my old house :tinfoil:

And cause I know someone is going to say it, we did have both the gas company and fire department come check things out the first couple times they went off. There was no CO leak or anything the alarms were just utter garbage

E: I also really liked that it would warn you that it was going to go off soon, which would happen sometimes if I was searing a steak or something. IIRC you could tell it not to alert using the app (although it would go off regardless for safety if the smoke got bad enough). Which again was nice for not traumatizing my kids and dog

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 28, 2023

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
just want to say it's cool and good that you have such a diverse skillset

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I wrote this post last night but when I hit submit I was probated lol, anyway

Gasmask posted:

just want to say it's cool and good that you have such a diverse skillset

Most of my time is spent searching my diverse skillset for the particular skill I need at any given moment. And I can never find it.

Another pick and mix of a post today.

Not getting into it now but I'm going to pour a 100mm deep concrete slab in the car port bay with steel reinforcement. This will serve as a garage for now but ultimately not discount the opportunity to later stick in a 150mm ish insulation and 50mm screed, pick up the leftover underfloor heating and allow the garage to be converted. But want a drain along the front as actually the ground level here is sloping down a little towards the building. The drain will link into the roof downpipe and run to the soakaway I installed however many posts ago.

this errant brick laid

no more

I've been concerned about air tightness. Particularly in this instance all the sockets and switches back boxes. there all holey and leaky and the blockwork walls they'll be set in even more so.

So bought this gunky plasticky paint. Its specially for air tightness but I assume its exactly the same as the waterproof gunk you do in wetrooms? Anyway... I dunno paint it on. Maybe I'll use some around windows and doors in a buckle and braces approach to not letting any spiders in.

needed a 14mm metal hole saw. Got one from b&q as I figured I could actually just go get it but no b&q run some kind of weird halfway amazon setup through their website now so I had to wait for this to be delivered and its total crap. The pilot drill is shorted than the hole saw and wonky. they refund me but now i need to go through the whole process again.

yeah hosed up thumb. hit it with a hammer. nails proper weird now

So further to the airtightness concerns, I'm worried about toilet drafts so I'll be producing some homemade insulated toilet seats.

Fitting the lower slung 50mm of PIR insulation in the main room

Lots of cutting, drilling, channelling out PIR which lets me get back to inhaling as mush horrible insulation dust as possible.

so these boards are, where necessary held up with 100mm plasterboard screws with metal washers to hold up the 50mm insulation by screwing into the rafters

Had to redo the temporary support for the woodburner flue to allow the insulation to be properly fitted. again keeping 50mm away from flue. This will be sealed with a stupidly expensive gasket thingy.

Careful to mark up in handy places where the rafters run so I can later make sure I screw the plasterboard into them without missing

OH hold on. Off on a little weekend away to an airbnb cottage.

Its nice to get some little examples of the quality fit and finish I am hoping to achieve, but to plan things through this well, I'm going to really need to up my game.

Here you can see one of the data/power trunks running set in the insulation of the vaulted ceiling.

But theyre going to run into a bit of a brick wall in the shape of

a brick wall

using drills and masonry cutters on the multifunction tool its simple enough but hard going to knock out some of the wall

Then go round the back and find my drillholes through and work back from there to. As I'm being extra careful to not damage the wall finish now and have to repair all that

I haven't been up in here for a long time and its all covered from birdshit from the buggers that came in like last year before the tiles were all on and doors in. You're not allowed to get rid of nesting birds and I wasn't in a hurry so whatever. Probably should get rid of all the poo poo now though.

Takes a couple of goes to knock out the block needed

but there we are. Hmmm... some kind of mould buildup? Job done though, I feel bigger already

trunking can now be passed through into utility room loft to complete all the runs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It speaks to the quality of this thread that I read

quote:

homemade insulated toilet seats.

And have no idea whether you're taking the piss

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
How airtight is this thing going to be anyway? Do you need one of them whole-house ventilation deals?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Failed Imagineer posted:

:same:

Loving the thread though!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Anyway... I dunno paint it on.

I ask this as a fellow idiot trying to bumble through similar things, but don't you need to paint the box, not the cavity the box sits in? Vapor can turn corners, eh?

Maybe relevant, my climate the moisture is more coming from inside and moving out, maybe you're fighting the opposite direction

Epitope fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 31, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Epitope posted:

I ask this as a fellow idiot trying to bumble through similar things, but don't you need to paint the box, not the cavity the box sits in? Vapor can turn corners, eh?

Lol if I've painted the totally wrong bit.

In the normal flat ceiling rooms the air tightness in the ceiling is going to be a membrane and tape. On the walls it is provided essentially by the plastered finish applied. This will cover over and fill the wall chases running to the sockets too.

Bit that still leaves the socket back area in the wall as bare rough and potentially leaky blockwork so that's the bit I'm hoping to seal with the thick gloopy paint so the holey back box shouldn't matter.

Is the thinking.

I dunno what you're supposed to do about the air going down the actual conduit terminated into the back box? Like it needs a rubber nipple gasket or something really for the cables to poke through.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dunno bout the UK but around here we put these little foam things between the wall plate and the outlet box, probly prevents most of the moisture from getting in maybe

the foam bits are in the lower half of this pic, they go behind the plastic covers in the upper half
they call it insulation to reduce heat loss though so I'm not 100% on the moisture blocking properties

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My guess is that I’m most cases ingress via the boxes is small enough to be discounted. But maybe that’s for normal bricks n blocks.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nice hosed up thumb

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Failed Imagineer posted:

I see what you did there

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Quick update.

Lol my PC has crashed a million times just trying to get these few photos onto the internet. I used to be someone that could handle this. I need a child to come and sort this out for me. I've got so much RAM why is this happening?

Anyway. The garage, or carport really. Which I don't really know why I've even got. It looked pretty on the drawings but I haven't even built it like that (which might be an issue?)

I'm going to pour a 100mm concrete slab on the beam and block, with rebar in it. Which will ultimately offer the opportunity to one day stick 100mm of insulation down and a 55mm screed, knock through into the house and add it as another room. I've even got a spare way run on the underfloor heating to join into this. This was never really fully thought through and something for a few years time when I'd build a separate 3 bay cartshed garage/workshop. Thing is its a few years time now. Anyway.

Had to buy a few sheets of rebar which became a huge pain and ultimately heralded the end of my working relationship with buildbase builders merchants. Still got loads of mars bars though from foundations and decided to put another damp sheet under as the internet seemed to think that was right and I had loads spare as toolstation lied about how big theirs were meaning I had to buy a whole nother one thats mostly leftover.

Autopsy of a bag of cement, hot cross bun style

Remember my cement mixer? The undertaker's pride and joy bought of ebay?

I'm why we can't have nice things

Its pretty knackered now and in fact the, stupidly plastic, bit where it all connects the drum to the legs and operating wheel (really not sure on terminology here) has broken. So the drum can basically just fall right off and certainly you can't twist and angle it anymore to load, mix and unload.

So I fix that with some metal band and some tapping screws.

Its still a faff to use but does actually work. ish.

I'd apologise for how dog poo poo my photos are with this dog poo poo phone camera

but actually they are quite good at hiding what a piss poor job of this slab I(is it me?)'m making

The carport is going to end up at the bottom of a sloping down to it driveway due to the site levels. So I need a drain across the front. This will tie into the downpipe from the roof at the corner and run to the soakaway I dug a while back.

Heres the drains

The connectors for the ends have a knockout to... knockout to plug into standard 110mm groundwork pipework.

I am shocked and appalled at the IP theft going on here? No real business would steal from nintendo like this

OMG I have a new phone! Old one fell out of my weird builders trouser flap pockets from the top of a stepladder. So opportunity to get a new one and decent camera.

Whats at the end of the rainbow? My breakroom.

setting the drain units infront of the garage to level. chucking some leftovers under them

concreting in and providing a nice little foundation for my plan on how to finish this nicely.

Remember where there was that errant brick? Which noone will see. yeah turns out people will see it. annoying. Like the loving engineering bricks in general. But anyway. I've ground out that lovely little leftover bit and found a "nice" end to stick back in

Ignore. I repeat IGNORE the slab. Its poo poo I know it is. Lets not get into it right now but anyway, this bit will be pretty

The bricks either side of the drain are laid to drain down into the drain

This shot actually looks nice. You can't see the slab. Just gotta like dig out the whole driveway to make it a nice slope into the garage. and I dunno gravel I guess?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ummmm
so with those two wood corner brace things there I'm assuming this won't be an overhead/roll-down door? And now with the floor sloping from both sides of the drain I'm wondering how you'll have swing open doors without having to cut them really high and leave a gap at the bottom?

have you considered the door situation is what I'm asking I guess

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

ummmm
so with those two wood corner brace things there I'm assuming this won't be an overhead/roll-down door? And now with the floor sloping from both sides of the drain I'm wondering how you'll have swing open doors without having to cut them really high and leave a gap at the bottom?

have you considered the door situation is what I'm asking I guess

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Anyway. The garage, or carport really.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carports can have doors. And if he's underfloor heating this and planning on converting it to domestic space then I'm assuming he will put in a door. But y'know, I don't want to assume anything itt

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
England weather is so mild he strictly doesn't need doors to keep in the heat. Just to keep out burglars, of which there are a lot. I assume anyway.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Put stable doors on it and get a pet horse.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That would really bring the property back to its roots.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its not having a garage door. just open. Which is a bit useless as can't keep anything securely in it, like bikes and lawn mower. I guess the shipping container isnt going anywhere for a while.

If it is ever converted I would probably just put some glass sliding doors set back behind the oak goalposts and it would be like a private office accessed from the main bedroom through what is now a walk in wardrobe. This is where the spare way on the underfloor heating is currently terminated but not covered in screed to later connect to. Also the wall between already has a cavity lintel installed so would just need to use a child's pair of scissors or something to cut out a door shape under this in the blockwork.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How wide is this carport? Looks like getting out of the car is going to be extremely tight

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How wide is this carport? Looks like getting out of the car is going to be extremely tight

That was more what I was thinking about than the lack of door. What do people in the UK drive anyway, even a Renault Clio is not too far off 6 feet wide. I am rather skeptical.

Maybe you can store some blocks in there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did NJAN99 put you up to this post so he can rhapsodise about the unique Tesla doors?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's 2.9m wide. You'll just about be able to park in it but nothing else, it was originally going to be open down the side the same as the front so it didn't seem such an issue. But it morphed into just a wall as it seemed a waste of money for more oak to just face the pub lockup fence. Apparently UK standard could be 2.4m wide which sounds daft.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Did NJAN99 put you up to this post so he can rhapsodise about the unique Tesla doors?

You don't need to open the doors in the garage as the car will just park itself in there and come back out when summoned.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You don't need to open the doors in the garage as the car will just park itself in there and come back out when summoned.

How many smoke detectors have you fitted in your car hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's 2.9m wide. You'll just about be able to park in it but nothing else, it was originally going to be open down the side the same as the front so it didn't seem such an issue. But it morphed into just a wall as it seemed a waste of money for more oak to just face the pub lockup fence. Apparently UK standard could be 2.4m wide which sounds daft.

2.4m sounds plenty enough for a reliant robin and anything else should be banned anyway