Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I can't keep track of who half the characters in Pale Lights are, and can only hope those are the ones who die horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

nrook posted:

There are definitely worse series, though. It's slower than I'd like, too, but that's just my preference; I think people get misled by the adventure story hook, but it's mostly slice of life in the end.

This is what soured me. I really enjoyed the first arc so when he made it to the magic school I kept waiting for something to happen that forced him to leave on the next adventure. Eventually realized it wasn't going to happen and it was a magic school story now and dropped it.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Kyoujin posted:

This is what soured me. I really enjoyed the first arc so when he made it to the magic school I kept waiting for something to happen that forced him to leave on the next adventure. Eventually realized it wasn't going to happen and it was a magic school story now and dropped it.

Ironically he's barely at the magic school now, I'd say a majority of the recent chapters are about going off on adventures

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Super Supportive is the first time I've been unfortunate enough read/enjoy an early series that is probably going to get dropped. I normally don't read things unless they've been around for a while.

It's a shame because it's really good, but the long delays basically hit immediately after they ran out of their backlog (that I'm guessing they prepared before launching the story), so I don't think it's a one-time emergency or something.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ytlaya posted:

I think Super Supportive is the first time I've been unfortunate enough read/enjoy an early series that is probably going to get dropped. I normally don't read things unless they've been around for a while.

It's a shame because it's really good, but the long delays basically hit immediately after they ran out of their backlog (that I'm guessing they prepared before launching the story), so I don't think it's a one-time emergency or something.

Lucky you, because this seems to happen to so many series I love :(. That's one of the reasons I usually wait for a story to hit 60-70k words before I give it a shot; that way if it dies right after I read it then at least I got a novel out of it.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

New chapter dropped and it's a long one. Sounds like they plan to release shorter chapters going forward so delay shouldn't be as bad but we'll see.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyoujin posted:

New chapter dropped and it's a long one. Sounds like they plan to release shorter chapters going forward so delay shouldn't be as bad but we'll see.

Nice! Hopefully they can figure out a good schedule.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Selkie Myth posted:

I was also trying to write something very tricky, slowly bringing it forward, and COMPLETELY failed in that respect. Part of the break and turnaround was axing that entire plotline, but a number of aspects continued to show through and weaken the entire arc that was already there.
well you can't just leave it at that

spill :colbert:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

that Super Supportive chapter was worth the wait, and by chance, we just got a Super Minion update too!

good time for superhero serials, even if the fame seems to be a bit overwhelming for both authors

edit: the new cover for Super Minion was made the artist for Romantically Apocalyptic????

Ramie fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 27, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't know romantically apocalyptic, but that new Super Minion cover is dope.

Also I love super supportive and don't mind if it only updates once every 7-10 days. Just hope the author doesn't burn out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Super Supportive chapter was great; the author is really good at shaking things up. He could have easily just gone the route of time skipping to Alden going to Hero Academy, but this is much more interesting.

Wittgen posted:

Also I love super supportive and don't mind if it only updates once every 7-10 days. Just hope the author doesn't burn out.

Yeah, I don't care about the update frequency, as long as its regular/reliable (mainly because not being regular/reliable can cascade into the story as a whole failing).

edit: If I had to guess part of the reason they haven't created a Patreon is that having a bunch of people giving you money ups the pressure. It's how I'd probably feel in their shoes. It basically signifies a bigger commitment (and one that is tough to make if you have another day job, which I believe the Super Supportive author does).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

They mentioned work, so yeah. Hopefully the story takes off enough that they can make the jump to Patreon if they want. The in-between period before then is rough though.

I really like how they portray social systems. Show don't tell may be a CIA psy-op, but it's still really impressive when it's pulled off well. The power dynamics of a colonized earth seen through the eyes of a pretty apolitical teen have been a highlight. Looking forward to how much more intense things are going to be getting on that front now that he's interfacing with them more directly.

I think a big, subtle benefit to his power is that he will get pulled to work with wizard types. If he keeps up his language study, he's going to have access to information most humans don't.

Also, I am delighted that this latest chapter had him get two lovely bosses who are awful in wildly different ways. I laughed at the teacher guy casually dropping that he was on parole.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
yeah the latest chapter was great with all the quiet moments of stuff that's pretty hosed up if you give it a moment's thought
really that's been a well done part of the story in general

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm happy that the story is giving so much focus to the non-Artonians as vassal servants/troops element of the setting, because it's very interesting/novel. It seems like the hero-ing the protagonist is interested in is basically a side show to stuff like the summons system + the general community of Earth Avowed and their relationship with the rest of the world's governments + the Artonans themselves. It's basically just policing the minority of Avowed who go rogue (which probably isn't a big deal in most cases, since you usually need a lot of time to get strong - people like the villain responsible for the incident at the start of the story are likely very rare, since most people arent going to have access to powerful abilities immediately).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gotta say, Durene is starting to become somewhat annoying. I still have no issues with Laken despite the rabid hatred that many people seemed to have for him. But I just started his group of chapters this book, so maybe he'll fall apart.

I really enjoyed the Doctor chapters. I like the crew over there, even if their new "United Nations" company has a bit of a cheesy name. They seem like good folks. I'd figured Luan was gay personally and that he was in a relationship with his Olympic rowing partner, not that he was married and had a kid though.

I'm gonna be shocked if Miss Agnes doesn't try to pull something to kill or harm Erin and her friends.

The undead bone gal and her tracking buddy really are 2/3 of a Three Stooges troupe huh? How are they the primary agents of The Necromancer? The keep getting lost like rank amateurs
TWI: Vol 5

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 28, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The most recent super supportive chapter is huge.

My man Alden though, he needs to work on those social skills. Keeping his mouth shut isn't doing him any favors.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I can't say it's good but Reincarnated in a Shounen Manga is my guilty pleasure. It's a fun read in bite size chapters that update daily

I haven't kept up with anime but it reminds of a mix of early Naruto and Hunter x Hunter. Character interactions are fun and the mood is light despite a pretty dark setting with high mortality rates (for non main characters of course).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

The most recent super supportive chapter is huge.

My man Alden though, he needs to work on those social skills. Keeping his mouth shut isn't doing him any favors.

I don't blame him; he was suddenly thrust into this situation without any preparation and is likely having trouble remembering whatever he might have learned about alien social customs in the past. And he has succeeded in not making a fool of him or insulting anyone, which is his main goal.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I don't blame him; he was suddenly thrust into this situation without any preparation and is likely having trouble remembering whatever he might have learned about alien social customs in the past. And he has succeeded in not making a fool of him or insulting anyone, which is his main goal.

Oh absolutely. His behavior is completely believable. At the same time, his passivity is definitely a way of setting up future plotlines. Just a few words could have improved his social situation substantially at several points in the last chapter and I think that's deliberate.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I like his characterization a lot. He's pretty analytical, but not in a calculating psycho way. He's kind and well intentioned, but he is pretty blind to power dynamics. In this chapter, it shines through in the way he feels bad for the guy who got fired and understands how his friends are pissed at him. But it doesn't occur to him that it's completely not his fault. He could have probably deflected blame to the middle manager go getter, where it belongs. But he is a teen in an overwhelming situation and so he just lets the power dynamic slide.

I like that his smart friend seems a lot more in touch with what is actually going on. His frightened warning to not anger the aliens makes me think that. Main character has the heroic mindset of wanting to help people and being willing to do the work to make it happen. It's great plot setup that he has a friend who can help ease him into some of the political poo poo he is now very much enmeshed with.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, Ryoka's making a return to being a huge rear end in a top hat suddenly out of nowhere. Not sure what stick got up her rear end, but I don't like it. Didn't think to mention that the Lord of the Wall's retainer was threatening to have Erin assassinated to Relc either which seems like a dumb miss from her.

I'm liking this Niers and Foliana chapter. I hope we get more of them.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I checked out Super Supportive after three recommendations, and twenty chapters in I am fairly happy with it. I'm frequently bored by superhero stuff, and I was reluctant to engage with it due to that, but I am getting something significantly different than what I was expecting. Multiple likeable, interesting characters, decent quality writing, and a lot more interest in cultural geography than in people punching each other and numbers going up. In fact, I don't think I have seen any fight scenes on camera. I am totally down for engaging with this the same way I would a scifi novel about space diplomacy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

avoraciopoctules posted:

I checked out Super Supportive after three recommendations, and twenty chapters in I am fairly happy with it. I'm frequently bored by superhero stuff, and I was reluctant to engage with it due to that, but I am getting something significantly different than what I was expecting. Multiple likeable, interesting characters, decent quality writing, and a lot more interest in cultural geography than in people punching each other and numbers going up. In fact, I don't think I have seen any fight scenes on camera. I am totally down for engaging with this the same way I would a scifi novel about space diplomacy.

Same. I actually am capable of enjoying superhero stuff, but in practice they're almost never written very well. And I definitely prefer the sort of approach Super Supportive has taken, where it's only sort of indirectly a "superhero" story (since all the superhero stuff is just a "side effect" to "aliens giving vassal planets' people powers so that they can serve as servants," which is a more accurate description of the setting).

Ironically, despite having virtually zero action, I found myself more excited about the character getting powers than in pretty much every other similar story I've read. It helps that the protagonist's friends are both cool and fun. I hope he manages to stay in touch with them in the future, though Boe was correct that things will never really be the same after he ends up (probably) leaving.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I really like the friends. And hey, if Alden is smart enough to confide in them, I'm sure Boe can deduce some useful stuff from just how messed up this magic school is. Just caught up with the story, BTW, and I am extremely interested in where things go with this most recent incredibly sus space wizard. Very much hoping that Alden takes a contract offer back home and Boe points out all the dangerous loopholes Alden missed.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, Ryoka's making a return to being a huge rear end in a top hat suddenly out of nowhere. Not sure what stick got up her rear end, but I don't like it. Didn't think to mention that the Lord of the Wall's retainer was threatening to have Erin assassinated to Relc either which seems like a dumb miss from her.

I'm liking this Niers and Foliana chapter. I hope we get more of them.

When Ryoka has a good day, everything's fine. When she has a bad day, everyone else needs to have a bad day to.
She knows this about herself, how she can drive away friends and ruin everything if she wakes up in a bad mood. She hates it about herself. She works on it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ytlaya posted:

Same. I actually am capable of enjoying superhero stuff, but in practice they're almost never written very well. And I definitely prefer the sort of approach Super Supportive has taken, where it's only sort of indirectly a "superhero" story (since all the superhero stuff is just a "side effect" to "aliens giving vassal planets' people powers so that they can serve as servants," which is a more accurate description of the setting).

Ironically, despite having virtually zero action, I found myself more excited about the character getting powers than in pretty much every other similar story I've read. It helps that the protagonist's friends are both cool and fun. I hope he manages to stay in touch with them in the future, though Boe was correct that things will never really be the same after he ends up (probably) leaving.

This is a pretty solid recommendation. Thanks. I'll throw it on the queue. I'd been avoiding it because noone seemed to have any summary of it other than "it's a superhero story", ie drek.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's a good point that you could describe the story as a superhero litrpg, but it's probably more accurate to describe it as a sci-fi fantasy about an alt-history where humans were colonized by aliens in the 1960s. Still, I'm rolling my eyes at the snobbery in a web serial thread

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Wittgen posted:

It's a good point that you could describe the story as a superhero litrpg, but it's probably more accurate to describe it as a sci-fi fantasy about an alt-history where humans were colonized by aliens in the 1960s. Still, I'm rolling my eyes at the snobbery in a web serial thread

I would imagine that supply v demand is a significant contributing factor. Web serials are plentiful, and the required buy in is minimal. Why not be picky? Of course, in the Royalroad dimension snobbery can take on some truly remarkable forms. Was not expecting to see so many stories get marked down for not including enough blue menu boxes, lol

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There’s a lot of picking and choosing based on genre, too. I don’t like system apocalypse or tower climber stories, so it’d take a lot more recommendations for me to try one out than, say, xianxia.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

RBA-Wintrow posted:

When Ryoka has a good day, everything's fine. When she has a bad day, everyone else needs to have a bad day to.
She knows this about herself, how she can drive away friends and ruin everything if she wakes up in a bad mood. She hates it about herself. She works on it.

Ryoka really can't help but talk poo poo huh. She's kind of the definition of "gently caress around and find out." Just got to her mouthing off to the Necromancer when she was about to be let off scott free only to be hit with a curse that will kill her instantly if she speaks his name.. TWI Vol 5

Edit: Poor Brunkr

Edit: Whew the end of vol 5 is kinda a bummer, huh? The Goblin Lord is on the march. Griffon Hunt is shattered. Many blame Ryoka (and to a lesser extent, Erin) for bringing down doom on them. Several named side characters are dead or lost for the (presumably) the rest of the series even including Ivolethe.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 30, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Minor correction, that's the midpoint of volume 4--starting with volume 3, the kindle/audible releases have been split into multiple books for the health and sanity of poor Andrea Parsneau. So the next book is the end of volume 4, while the three books after that cover volume 5.

And yeah, where you're at, Ryoka is now on a very long timeout while she thinks about what she's done.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Argue posted:

Minor correction, that's the midpoint of volume 4--starting with volume 3, the kindle/audible releases have been split into multiple books for the health and sanity of poor Andrea Parsneau. So the next book is the end of volume 4, while the three books after that cover volume 5.

And yeah, where you're at, Ryoka is now on a very long timeout while she thinks about what she's done.

Oh, when I say "volume" you can assume I mean the published volume number. I didn't realize there was so much left "in the hopper" as it were for the webnovel versus published stuff. I'd assumed since it was already English it would have kept up pretty closely aside from some editing that might need to get done.

I kinda like the clown chapters, and it's neat to have the sudden shift for the POV from Tom to Tom. For all that Tom is real loony, I don't think he's done anything evil though. The Blighted King though, that guy's pulling major yikes. TWI: Vol 6

Edit: I feel like this emperor plotline is going in the direction of the Defense of the Two Rivers from Wheel of Time

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 31, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/58346/beers-and-beards-a-cozy-dwarf-litrpg is a solid story about dwarves and beer. Mostly slice of life with occasional action interludes. Good sense of humor, but not excessive.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

New Super Supportive continues to be very good. The whole dynamic with the other humans is pretty interesting. It's interesting how being a D/C-rank Avowed almost seems like a bad thing overall, because you usually aren't strong enough to have a career as a superhero or make decent money through summons, but you still have to register with the government and live on that island.

I hope Alden digs the hole to sleep in.

I also really like the way Alden is written during these interactions. He acts in a way that is pretty believable given his age and circumstances.

edit: I keep imagining this "Manon" as being like the species in Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 1, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, when I say "volume" you can assume I mean the published volume number. I didn't realize there was so much left "in the hopper" as it were for the webnovel versus published stuff. I'd assumed since it was already English it would have kept up pretty closely aside from some editing that might need to get done.

I kinda like the clown chapters, and it's neat to have the sudden shift for the POV from Tom to Tom. For all that Tom is real loony, I don't think he's done anything evil though. The Blighted King though, that guy's pulling major yikes. TWI: Vol 6

Edit: I feel like this emperor plotline is going in the direction of the Defense of the Two Rivers from Wheel of Time

there is no difference between the web serial TWI and audiobook TWI, the parts are simply subdivided into additional volumes to accommodate the gargantuan amount of words in later volumes

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wow, I didn’t expect Pirate to make the Goblin Lord… admirable in many respects. I mean obviously he is merciless in his fights against the humans and drakes. But the undead goblins that others pointed to as evidence he didn’t care about his people as mere than tools turned out to only be warriors who agreed to be raised if they die. And his ultimate goal doesn’t seem to be world conquest but to carve out a city where the goblins can live without being hunted. Not at all the BBEG he was painted as so far.

I’d figured Rags was going to obviously defeat the Goblin Lord, become one herself and make a home for her people, but the current Lord seems to be performing that function and she’s being really listless. I’m not sure what her ultimate function in the story is going to be.

Also the Wall Lord finally sat down in Erin’s inn and got over his grief. Erin’s power is truly terrifying. He couldn’t intimidate her, even outside her inn. Magnolia’s goals seem to be admirable but I suspect that the budding [Emperor] and “United Nations” company will will probably be the ones to pull off her lasting peace she so desires.

TWI: Vol 6.

This is probably my favorite book in the series so far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other kind of interesting thing about the System in Super Supportive that I was thinking about is how, even though people are supplied their powers by a "system," there's also apparently something inherent to the people in question that allows them to receive these powers (and is why certain people are only "compatible" with certain skills, and every Rank B Rabbit, for example, doesn't get access to the same options). This likely ties into the broader metaphysics of the setting, but it makes it more interesting than a typical "system" that is basically just an excuse to integrate video game mechanics into real life.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well, I finished Vol 6 of The Wandering Inn. RIP Zel. Now that Goblin Lord (Reiss) has a name he's gotta have a degree of plot armor eh? Pirate has already set him up as a potential foil to The Necromancer, so I can see that happening. I'm a *bit* concerned that Pisces has apprenticed himself to The Necromancer though. Given his sudden spike in necromatic ability this volume. I'm sure that won't come back to bite anyone in the rear end later. I liked the lack of Ryoka this vol. Very refreshing.

Edit:
Hah, Two-Face Toren is great TWI: Vol 7

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2023

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Jackal Among Snakes is fun when they are exploring or dungeon diving but the scheming and politic chapters are rough. He always gets his way despite lying and manipulating and in the latest chapter Diana was set up to be a shrewd negotiator set on getting the best benefit for her people. She barely gets one word in and Argrave just monologues over her to set the conditions then she agrees without adding anything.

I also read Memoirs of a Local Small-time Villainous and feel the opposite way. The dungeons are usually pretty dry but the dialogue and character interactions on the way there and back are hilarious. Politics are fun too because they don't come up in game so Scarlet is out of her element and makes mistakes or accidentally stirs the pot while bluffing her way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

On the topic of dungeons, The Daily Grind just got real great again. I do like the explorations of personhood, the political intrigue, and the building of a brighter future, but I started reading this for the dungeon delves. The story is at its best when James finds himself in a weird, hostile pocket dimension with strange hazards and stranger rewards, and so far this newest dungeon is not disappointing. I especially love it when the team finds itself at a massive disadvantage due to being underprepared or caught off guard, so the current situation where James is without any gear or backup and is forced to take care of a room full of civilians is perfect. I haven't been this excited for the next chapter of something for a while.