Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hizawk posted:

Nate Tice is an excitable football nerd.

Yeah. He and Mays both get a little too wrapped up in "things they think are cool poo poo" but I wouldn't call him dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Bill Barnwell is the angel, hidden away behind a paywall.

For what it's worth, the Athletic is currently $1/mo for 1 year (presumably only for new subscribers) if there's actually anyone on here who is interested in it but hasn't subbed already

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Docjowles posted:

For what it's worth, the Athletic is currently $1/mo for 1 year (presumably only for new subscribers) if there's actually anyone on here who is interested in it but hasn't subbed already

Thanks for the tip. I subbed!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Docjowles posted:

I cancelled my sub and signed up for the $1 deal a week or so later with no issues

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I didn't compare him to Rogan. I compared him to Rogan fans. He's bland and hides what I see as very limited insight behind the excessive use of jargon.
Gotta agree here. Tice’s insight seems limited, shallow, and or wrong a fair amount of the time. He then uses a bunch of jargon which he seldom explains and a bunch of analogies to obscure his poo poo analysis.

quote:

If you like him, great. I don't and have been disappointed with his constant appearances on a podcast I liked before he got intimately involved. Tice is the little devil on Robert Mays shoulder. Bill Barnwell is the angel, hidden away behind a paywall.

Gotta agree with this as well. I’m glad Robert had somebody to help carry the load. During the start of the pandemic he was my most listened to podcast. It seems a lot more manageable for him with a second person on the podcast. I just wish it was Barnwell, they were a great team, but alas different companies.

Also Tice interrupts people too much and is too verbose.

I still listen to the podcast though, Mays is good :)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

But also yes if Richardson goes to Seattle then he will become the greatest qb of all time.

He'll be like Cam if Cam got Tom Brady's calls and luck. :hawksin:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Docjowles posted:

I have an Athletic sub. Jeff Zrebic's Ravens coverage alone is worth the price of admission. However there is absolutely no way I am going to pay for ESPN+.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I have espn+ through my Hulu sub but I’m pretty sure I’ve literally never used it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Docjowles posted:

I have espn+ through my Hulu sub but I’m pretty sure I’ve literally never used it

I get espn+ for free along with hulu&disney due to verizon - espn+ has none of the major sports on it last I looked, which was a long time ago. Does it have anything nfl related now?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I meant the website subscription, not the streaming service. Though honestly I don't know if that's a combined product or not.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I always found Barnwell to be a little too into how clever he is, but I think as a more pessimistic analyst he and Mays made an outstanding team. I miss their partnership. I still think Mays and Tice are overall the best current podcast of that type though.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I meant the website subscription, not the streaming service. Though honestly I don't know if that's a combined product or not.

IIRC it is, I had espn+ for MLS last year and I could access all the paywalled articles

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

shirts and skins posted:

I always found Barnwell to be a little too into how clever he is, but I think as a more pessimistic analyst he and Mays made an outstanding team. I miss their partnership.

Definitely agree with this. Barnwell and Mays brought out the best in one another while downplaying each others more obnoxious qualities. Tice has the opposite effect on Mays, emphasizing the player worship, restaurant chat derails, and less interesting analysis.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I get ESPN+ through my cell phone plan and use it to watch hockey games over a VPN to get around blackouts, it works... just okay. Quality isn't great and the framerate seems to stutter a bit regardless of my connection speed which is especially jarring in hockey. Wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't included.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Tice is an epic bacon scout masquerading as some type of sullen authority on QBs—he likes tools because he never had any to begin with.

Anyone can clip plays where a dude does the right thing. Does he do it consistently? Is he working with his receivers? What happens when you make the right read but not the right throw? Like yes, AR is not a project in the sense of having utterly no idea how to play football. Same time, everyone telling me that it’s because the passing game and receivers were bad, no. Those receivers were fine. Guys like Shorter were talented enough you should be able to do something. They’re not world beaters, but people comparing it to what Allen was throwing in and to at Wyoming are kidding themselves a bit.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Fifty Three posted:

I get ESPN+ through my cell phone plan and use it to watch hockey games over a VPN to get around blackouts, it works... just okay. Quality isn't great and the framerate seems to stutter a bit regardless of my connection speed which is especially jarring in hockey. Wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't included.

I have it through Verizon but I don't get access to the articles anymore, just the streaming service (and hulu/disney+)

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

TheGreyGhost posted:

Tice is an epic bacon scout masquerading as some type of sullen authority on QBs—he likes tools because he never had any to begin with.

I only listen to the episodes with Mays and another guest. I cannot stand Tice, and I think you put my feelings into words. He's so over the top about what he likes and so dismissive of what he doesn't, and he can never be wrong.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Docjowles posted:

mastershakeman posted:

I get espn+ for free along with hulu&disney due to verizon - espn+ has none of the major sports on it last I looked, which was a long time ago. Does it have anything nfl related now?

It's our go-to for filling dead air, basically, and not anything we'd renew if it wasn't bundled with Disney and Hulu.

College sports and the NHL are the big things. As Fifty Three alluded to, there are local blackouts on NHL stuff if your team has some other streaming service affiliated with it. We're not going to pay $20 a month for the Ballysports thing to see the Wild, so ironically we see our own NHL team the least. The NCAA Hockey tournament has been on there, which loving rules.

It is also how we started watching Cricket, because it's on in the evening/night and was something to put on between other shows after taking an edible on the weekend.

Also we use it on our TV via app over wired internet, and it streams at full rez smoothly on that setup.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Also we use it on our TV via app over wired internet, and it streams at full rez smoothly on that setup.
Interesting data point here, appreciate you sharing that detail. I watch it on a "Chromecast w/Google TV" (god I hate that name) with a wired connection and I'm pretty sure it stutters even without a VPN, I'll have to experiment. 4k video works fine on other apps on the same device, so who knows.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I dont care if he sucks this is cool

https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/1641475939212177411?s=20

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

Interesting data point here, appreciate you sharing that detail. I watch it on a "Chromecast w/Google TV" (god I hate that name) with a wired connection and I'm pretty sure it stutters even without a VPN, I'll have to experiment. 4k video works fine on other apps on the same device, so who knows.

When it first starts up it's lower resolution until it buffers a bit and goes to 4k, and it's not unusual to get a single pause to buffer for ~15 seconds a few minutes into a game (and it does pause instead of skip forward when it does that, which is kind of weird). But yeah, after that it runs without any problems. We're using the Hulu app on an LG TV and no VPN, but it is good to know someone could *in theory* do that to get around blackouts.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Didn’t even do it from his knees like Jamarcus. Bust.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

We're using the Hulu app on an LG TV and no VPN, but it is good to know someone could *in theory* do that to get around blackouts.
:hai:

In the case of the Chromecast, there's an app for the VPN I use and it sets everything up seamlessly and I can toggle it at will. Pretty handy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Something, something, accuracy issues you say?

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1641479466986745873?s=20

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm all aboard the Colts drafting Richardson. Maybe he won't be any good, I don't care, at least he'll be fun to watch.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm all aboard the Colts drafting Richardson. Maybe he won't be any good, I don't care, at least he'll be fun to watch.

You'll get Levis and you'll like it!!

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Something, something, accuracy issues you say?

Just gotta build the whole offense out of option runs and go routes. It's worked before!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

he said he did it to one up Levis, who hit the ceiling before. Dude seems cool

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

You'll get Levis and you'll like it!!

I support this goon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

People said this about Johnny Manziel and he turned out to be neither.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Didn’t even do it from his knees like Jamarcus. Bust.

Pretty sure that was Kyle Boller who did that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sataere posted:

Pretty sure that was Kyle Boller who did that.

It was a story about Russell when he came out in the draft and Saban confirmed it.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Henchman of Santa posted:

People said this about Johnny Manziel and he turned out to be neither.

As someone who said that a lot, you are correct. Though it may be easier for Richardson since he doesn't have addiction issues (that we know of).

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was a story about Russell when he came out in the draft and Saban confirmed it.

Just googled it. We're both right lol

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

When it first starts up it's lower resolution until it buffers a bit and goes to 4k, and it's not unusual to get a single pause to buffer for ~15 seconds a few minutes into a game (and it does pause instead of skip forward when it does that, which is kind of weird). But yeah, after that it runs without any problems. We're using the Hulu app on an LG TV and no VPN, but it is good to know someone could *in theory* do that to get around blackouts.
Update to this- went and tried it again, it's possible I had some settings wrong on the Chromecast because it's smooth as silk now. :toot:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

Update to this- went and tried it again, it's possible I had some settings wrong on the Chromecast because it's smooth as silk now. :toot:

:hellyeah: Enjoy every single frame of those hockey games

e: another 2023 NFL Draft Thread success story

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
17 touchdowns? That’s it? I thought he’d have way more

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What are the chances Quintin Johnston lasts until pick 31?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

What are the chances Quintin Johnston lasts until pick 31?

There are better odds that Veach moves up to draft him than him slipping down to 31.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Will Johnston be in range for a trade up. I can see him being the second WR off the board. Addison seems to have slipped and Zay Flowers will need to go to the right team.

Flowers on the Chiefs would be monstrous though. I have him as WR2 for the Chiefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I like Zay Flowers. In the limited highlights I've watched, I'm not as high on Hyatt because it seems like most of his yardage came from playing against lovely coverage that just ran directly behind. Maybe that translates, but with NFL safeties, I assume not as well?

I also know literally nothing and wanted the Chiefs to draft Trubisky, so I'm an idiot.