Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just figured Moiraine cast her Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo spell to clean their clothes at the end of each day.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I liked a lot od things about the show. Others were kinda painful. In conclusion the Westlands are a land of contrasts

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If your big hold up is "this guy with a lifetime of military training has clean boots" then there is literally nothing they could do to make you happy. This is the same show where Nynaeve's belt is designed to look like a flowing river, they pay an insane amount of attention to details that inform the character.

Also they're very wet because of the rain, which makes them look shinier.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

boot shininess has to be the bottom of the nitpicking barrel. it just has to be

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
she just casts prestidigitation

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I liked Kenobi :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Legend of the Seeker is also good

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If your big hold up is "this guy with a lifetime of military training has clean boots" then there is literally nothing they could do to make you happy. This is the same show where Nynaeve's belt is designed to look like a flowing river, they pay an insane amount of attention to details that inform the character.
Today I learned that a lifetime of military training repels not just mud and dirt, but all debris from a warriors boots during a thunderstorm as they walk through a muddy courtyard. Good to know!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sorry dude, you're the weird one here and a real nitpicky one, too. There's a number of legitimate issues you can have with the show, but the one you have is very dumb.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

moiraine had a weave on lan's boots (and only his boots) that repelled the rain and dirt

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SerSpook posted:

moiraine had a weave on lan's boots (and only his boots) that repelled the rain and dirt

Taim would pull poo poo like this

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Imagine if the showrunner gave as much of a poo poo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SerSpook posted:

Except his boots have rain on them. Which apparently is confusing to lots of book watchers mad about boots, because they think this means they're polished.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Personally I'm most upset that we never got to see Rand stumbling all over himself when Moiraine danced with him

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly since everyone in the books is always walking around in full length sequined ball gowns it'd be weird for Lan's boots NOT to be shiny

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

th3t00t posted:

It's really not an important plot point until book 5 and then doesn't really matter again until book 14. Why waste any of the limited economy of story telling and screen time of season one on Steppin, to hammer such a minor point that won't matter until late season 4?

It's not a minor point and it's more important than you're making out. A Warder is a lot more than just a bodyguard to his Aes Sedai even if they're not all Myrelle "gently caress Them Back To Life Again" Berengari. The sheer strength of the bond and the meaning of it being broken is vital in defining that relationship.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It didn't need one episode dedicated to dollar store Iolaus though

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 31, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

His Divine Shadow posted:

It didn't need one episode dedicated to dollar store Iolaus though

What does that even mean?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Chalk me up with "that was a waste of an episode". Especially considering how poorly the majority of characters and plot points were fleshed out due to lack of time. There are better ways to convey to importance of the bond rather than following some random warder that commits sudoku.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hughmoris posted:

There are better ways to convey to importance of the bond rather than following some random warder that commits sudoku.

overcome with grief, I kneel and howl to the heavens as I draw my pen and begin solving the days puzzle

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I think the Stepin plotline was put in for people who haven't read the books. I thought it was an interesting episode when I first watched it, and I understood the importance after reading the books. I think it would have helped set the stakes for Lan and Rand's bond issues with Moiraine and Alanna down the line if I hadn't gone and read the books.

Are there other ways it could have been done? Probably, but I saw someone close to Lan die of grief because his Aes Sedai died, so I know what could happen to bonded people more important to the story.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I wasn't being hyperbolic earlier when I said it was 17 minutes. Stepin is on screen for 17 minutes of that episode.

Stepin's entire wordcount in that episode is 436.

The entire first season's word count is 26,073.

Stepin's feelings about losing his Aes Sedai, which is a thing that is very plot relevant to all the main characters, took up about 1.6% of all the words said in the first season. Or about 3.5% of total screen time since some of those scenes didn't have any speaking parts.

Anyone complaining about "Sad warder episode taking up too much time" is being absolutely ridiculous

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’m also in favor of that episode. Even if the actual plot points it sets up are multiple seasons down the line from now, I don’t see it as a problem to get those things down early. Sometimes you foreshadow a few episodes in advance, and sometimes you foreshadow a few seasons in advance. The tension is there for people who haven’t read the books but understand the idea of foreshadowing—this is too important a world building aspect not to come up again, but when, how, and to whom?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of word counts...

Dana the fun-having Barmaid had 909 words spoken in 1 episode.

Perrin only spoke 55 more words in the entire first season.

They recast the wrong character.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of word counts...

Dana the fun-having Barmaid had 909 words spoken in 1 episode.

Perrin only spoke 55 more words in the entire first season.

They recast the wrong character.

silvergoose posted:

What does that even mean?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

lol at complaining about the number of lines noted chatterbox perrin gets in the first season

the show already way surpassed the book in terms of Mat, who doesn’t get to do anything in the books except slowly die…twice…until midway through TDR

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Perrin is the least interesting character in the book. gently caress Perrin.

The only thing that makes his char redeemable is his interactions with Big Tits McGee :colbert:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The gist is that Perrin is effectively an extra in the show. Lots of scene time, little to no dialogue.

:colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of Perrin, anyone else feel like the part of him breaking out of the Whitecloak tent was the single worst thing in the season. Just the part where Perrin has been freed of his bonds and you just get a shot of Valda staring at him taking no actions saying something like "what are you?" It seemed like the most low budget badly written possible version of what that scene could have been. I just went back and watched it and he just stands there doing nothing for like 5 seconds real time. The silliest thing in the entire show. Perfect chance to show Perrin overpowering him or something instead of some real cheesey line.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(and in the book)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

cheesetriangles posted:

Speaking of Perrin, anyone else feel like the part of him breaking out of the Whitecloak tent was the single worst thing in the season. Just the part where Perrin has been freed of his bonds and you just get a shot of Valda staring at him taking no actions saying something like "what are you?" It seemed like the most low budget badly written possible version of what that scene could have been. I just went back and watched it and he just stands there doing nothing for like 5 seconds real time. The silliest thing in the entire show. Perfect chance to show Perrin overpowering him or something instead of some real cheesey line.

You mean this masterful scene?

The CW would have literally, literally, done a better job.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I'd watch a show about the adventures of Dana the Darkfriend.

Count me in about being pro-sad warder. Think about the importance of the warder/aes sedai bond: would it really be better for the first in-depth discussion of it to come up somewhere in season 3 or later? Outside of plot beats (which is frankly the least important reason to bring it up), the bond is really interesting idea that Jordan had and it would be a shame to leave it unexplored in the show for years.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

gosh if only there were some reason Perrin might hesitate to use violence against someone

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

gosh if only there were some reason Perrin might hesitate to use violence against someone

Yeah would be weird if Perrin killed some Whitecloaks that would never happen repeatedly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Outside or Lan it's not a plot point until the last battle and its circumvented anyway. I doubt the Finn will even be in the show too. Moraine is already unable to channel and presumably that's needed to setup a bond passing.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah would be weird if Perrin killed some Whitecloaks that would never happen repeatedly.

him killing whitecloaks happens when he blacks out/ loses control because of the wolves, he doesn’t choose to do it. Him worrying about losing his humanity / finding the balance of control over his own strength / deciding when it’s appropriate to use violence is his entire character arc

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wow that sounds way better than what the show actually did by inventing a wife just to kill her.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*ignore me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the sad warder episode was good irrespective of what it sets up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Outside or Lan it's not a plot point until the last battle and its circumvented anyway.

This is, not true at all. Alanna bonding Rand against his will. Birgitte existing. Rands resistance to the girls bonding him together. Most of the black tower/white tower interaction.