Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

silicone thrills posted:

People said that about the backup camera thing too initially.

Imagine the outcry though when people can't get their cars to move that are in an area that suddenly becomes a tow zone after a specific time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mastershakeman posted:

Imagine the outcry though when people can't get their cars to move that are in an area that suddenly becomes a tow zone after a specific time

lmao loving glorious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

It's crazy hosed up that nobody ever tried this in North America.

What's the worst that could happen, right?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
isnt this the plot of the great gatsby?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they will just sell breath in a can

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Americans suddenly become keenly interested in disposable respirators

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

If people can't get drunk, drunk driving won't happen

We should ban liquor

this is apparently the goal of MADD.

they're a neo-prohibition movement which is why they fight so hard against public transport hours extending until the bars close.

they may be the leading cause of drunk driving through their incessant desire to make sure cars are the only way to get to bars.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
EDIT: beaten badly.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Mar 31, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

If you have to bend over and breathe into a breathalyzer thing every time you get into a car people will freak out

When you describe it that way it sounds great. I hope it's extremely annoying.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
lotta things i hate in the lepers colony right now

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

this is apparently the goal of MADD.

they're a neo-prohibition movement which is why they fight so hard against public transport hours extending until the bars close.

they may be the leading cause of drunk driving through their incessant desire to make sure cars are the only way to get to bars.

when you cause the problem you cite to fix, you will be around forever. fantastic political capital

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The breathalyzer thing will never work as people will just find a way to bypass like people that hack up the handbrake signal so they can watch TV while driving or play games ( yes people do that while driving). And unless you somehow weld all the components inside hard steel boxes it's bound to fail.
The issue is the car culture I grew up with = dri k and take public transit and cab home with everyone knew. It never came upon us that one would be drunk driving us home or being tortured as the assigned sober driver.
But even I. America when you can walk or take transit home people's car culture is so strong that that is the only way they can go anywhere it literally became an extension of their body lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

bedpan posted:

child was in violation of the rule that anywhere around a street or road, even in a residential neighborhood, is the exclusive domain of the automobile. they child acted against the rule and disrupted the harmony of the environment. it makes sense that the police would be angry at the dead kid.

We've been utterly conned not just individually but at a deep cultural level that our public space belongs to automobiles.

And now the corporate heirs and grandkids of the fuckers who intentionally did it, have internalized it just as much as the rest of us.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Celexi posted:

The breathalyzer thing will never work as people will just find a way to bypass like people that hack up the handbrake signal so they can watch TV while driving or play games ( yes people do that while driving). And unless you somehow weld all the components inside hard steel boxes it's bound to fail.
The issue is the car culture I grew up with = dri k and take public transit and cab home with everyone knew. It never came upon us that one would be drunk driving us home or being tortured as the assigned sober driver.
But even I. America when you can walk or take transit home people's car culture is so strong that that is the only way they can go anywhere it literally became an extension of their body lol

yeah but how many people are gonna do that

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mawarannahr posted:

yeah but how many people are gonna do that

Considering how many assholes are on the road with a catalog of illegal mods or no license plates I'd say a lot

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what if registration but its calibration but you have to do it every month

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Celexi posted:

Considering how many assholes are on the road with a catalog of illegal mods or no license plates I'd say a lot

I think the vast majority of people wouldn't bother. something like a quarter of internet users block ads and you don't need to spend money or effort or face legal issues cause of that. the determined will always find a way, that doesn't mean deterrents don't work (c.f. the avatar purchasing anonymity issue recently, or even the entire idea of permabanning people - "why bother with probations and bans and permabans if people can get around them?")

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The worst part about car culture is the way it hurts job creators, like Budweiser, and turns people who enjoy life, who sometimes want to have a drink (or two) into second class citizens and punishes them for just being who they are when they are out on the road. It creates an authoritarian puritanical society that inhibits joy and prevents middle class people from fulfilling their dream of becoming job creators with their own restaurant or bar.

Look at Japan where workers have the freedom to go out and enjoy themselves after work and can use public transport to get home without fear of being harassed by authoritarian thugs in cop cars. Another great example is Denmark where workers can start the day off right with a beer on their way to work.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Road near my house was closed this morning due to a motorbike and car crash, walked past the clean up on the way to the bus. Just checked and the motorbike rider died in hospital. No idea what happened, by the time I walked past they were loading the car onto a truck but seemed like a head-on between the bike and car, but it's only a 50 kph road and the damage to both vehicles didn't look that bad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
head-on on a 50kph road is a 100kph crash.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ham Equity posted:

Fine, have her watched like he was watched for his whole life to insure she never gets into the driver's seat of a car ever again, and it's totally doable.

One of the first things Puyi did in Beijing was get lost so I don't thank he was watched all the time.

Polo-Rican posted:

the true protagonist of speed racer only appeared in one episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlRDRSBRec&t=437s

Congratulations to many of the fine posters in this thread for their representation in media.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/causalpaul/status/1641438181886398468

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh wow. I never saw speed racer growing up but holy poo poo it's exactly like everyone said it'd be

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Polo-Rican posted:

We must make our city streets safe for galloping away on horseback again

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

very funny for someone to act like they don't get the obvious implication when every news report on a fatal crash is like 'local teen dies after colliding his bike into a car. police say the teen wasn't wearing a helmet, and the driver was allowed to leave the scene of the accident'

like, dang, if only we could tell whose actions are being interrogated by the media and police, while another party is being let off the hook

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

very funny for someone to act like they don't get the obvious implication when every news report on a fatal crash is like 'local teen dies after colliding his bike into a car. police say the teen wasn't wearing a helmet, and the driver was allowed to leave the scene of the accident'

like, dang, if only we could tell whose actions are being interrogated by the media and police, while another party is being let off the hook

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsburgh-glen-hazel-child-hit-by-vehicle/40724706

Last summer a child was run over and killed while riding his bike home from the park to his house, a few blocks from the park.

Absolutely nothing was done until popular outrage built up over the fact that the cops let the killer take a breathalyzer test and go home.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

driving my truck out to the nearest meadow, getting out and taking a picture of it, then driving it back home

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

looks liek poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CharlotteCGill/status/1640772113001742337?t=vWL67WxEgEVMhcz_bYQjHA&s=19

Producer for GBNews

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheSportsman/status/1641707158159912961

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

drat that's crazy, the car just sprouted wings and flew all on its own. I hope somebody does something about that before it barrels into another sports park.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

driving my truck out to the nearest meadow, getting out and taking a picture of it, then driving it back home

I actually caught a guy doing this out in the countryside on one of my bike rides. He had it parked in a ditch for some reason and was taking pics with his phone. I asked if he needed me to tow him out of the mud. He didn't think that was funny.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

"Luckily he's still alive..."

What about the loving kids in the building!!!??? (I know they're okay too, but jesus talk about hosed up priorities)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Greatbacon posted:

"Luckily he's still alive..."

What about the loving kids in the building!!!??? (I know they're okay too, but jesus talk about hosed up priorities)

They had finished practice and gone in to change several minutes prior to the car sailing through the wall. Court was empty, thankfully.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Not one person has asked if the car was okay. Sickening.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Luckily he's still alive so he can go 50 over the speed limit on a wet road and crash into another building once again!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Would look a lot better with the mirrors knocked off

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
People who drive onto alpine meadows need to be executed. A nice meadow can be ruined by a mudder in an hour, and never really recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

looks liek poo poo

yeah the grill looks too small like something my daughter would drive. does it come in pink