Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it is really thoughtful of you to consider helping but do NOT do this on your own. one misstep and its $1m lawsuit time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
In terms of software I'm aware of Dasher, don't know what state the software is in these days but it's a more efficient way to type with just a pointing device:

https://www.bltt.org/software/dasher/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

most importantly, special mobility needs are individual to the person, and there's no responsible way of helping them without learning their individual circumstances. the best you can do is to make sure that you can offer them time, breathing space, and qualified assistance to get set up properly, at which point it would be appropriate and courteous to breach the subject

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Thanks all, this is why I asked here before saying a drat thing. Still happy to collect info on what is out there but I'll be much more thoughtful about when/if I'm going to discuss it with him.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

from https://jorts.horse/@ancient_catbus/110118787754899759

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i would actually buy this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

when did that happen? afaik unicomp is still churning out trash

I've never seen one IRL, but they sure do look cheap and ugly in pictures. Or maybe I need to turn my monitor on.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

i like the knob.

also;

https://yournewkeyboard.tumblr.com/archive

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

when you need to type >100wpm but you're also Kitana and have a fight in 5 minutes

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lord help me I'm thinking of spending >$300 on one of those moonlander keyboards. It feels boojie as hell but I am using the computer most of the day and my wrists and fingers are starting to feel it. I do still have to use a regular laptop keyboard fairly regularly, has anyone here successfully gotten comfortable switching between ortholinear and staggered layouts?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you're really earning tech salary then $300 to protect your most valuable asset is nothing

mewse
May 2, 2006

echinopsis posted:

if you're really earning tech salary then $300 to protect your most valuable asset is nothing

$300 for a helmet??

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I got a moonlander and yeah it's a significant comfort difference for me. Like night and day for my shoulders at the end of the day. Definitely took a little getting used to though, and the default layout is hot garbage imo. I can throw mine up in a pastebin or something if you're curious.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

I just back up my post history to amazon glacier, costs me nowhere near $300

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Just a Moron posted:

Lord help me I'm thinking of spending >$300 on one of those moonlander keyboards. It feels boojie as hell but I am using the computer most of the day and my wrists and fingers are starting to feel it. I do still have to use a regular laptop keyboard fairly regularly, has anyone here successfully gotten comfortable switching between ortholinear and staggered layouts?

I've got an Ergodox EZ, the precursor to the Moonlander, and I loved it... except for the missing F-row. So I bought a Keychron Q10 (75% "Alice" style) which I also love, but now I miss the thumb clusters on the Ergodox. If you really adapt to it, you will have issues going back and forth to normal keyboards. There's just no way around it. Not major, but "doh, I meant to type =, not Backspace" will be frequent the first few hours of any shift one way or the other.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

echinopsis posted:

Yeah I've still got a lot of my student spending habits

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I got a moonlander and yeah it's a significant comfort difference for me. Like night and day for my shoulders at the end of the day. Definitely took a little getting used to though, and the default layout is hot garbage imo. I can throw mine up in a pastebin or something if you're curious.

Thanks, I would like to take a look.

Kvantum posted:

I've got an Ergodox EZ, the precursor to the Moonlander, and I loved it... except for the missing F-row. So I bought a Keychron Q10 (75% "Alice" style) which I also love, but now I miss the thumb clusters on the Ergodox. If you really adapt to it, you will have issues going back and forth to normal keyboards. There's just no way around it. Not major, but "doh, I meant to type =, not Backspace" will be frequent the first few hours of any shift one way or the other.

Good to know that the switching probably won't be too major. I think the biggest thing I'll be missing is the ten-key which I use a lot, but I figure the layer functionality should be good enough to cover for that.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you could type THIS TRASH poo poo and SHART RASH without ever taking your fingers off the home row
...did a goon design this layout?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

I just back up my post history to amazon glacier, costs me nowhere near $300

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just a Moron posted:

im in a similar spot, if only trying to get ahead of the spot where my wrists and fingers are starting to feel it, and i've got moonlander on its way, so you can ask me in a few months on how it's working out. trying a qwerty split didn't work for me, since i ended up literally never using it in split mode, so the idea now is that i use qwerty keyboard the same way 99% of people use them, and then i have an ergo split where i just go whole 9 yards and do colemak dhm layout, tenting, combos/homerows/whatever, and hopefully learn it as "separate device class" from "normal keyboard", and don't have to do "uhhh how to use this" when switching, past the first sentence or whatever

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i swear these artisan keycaps have illegible legends on purpose now

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

when you need to type >100wpm but you're also Kitana and have a fight in 5 minutes

just want you to know i appreciated this post

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Just a Moron posted:

i can go from the advantage 2 in Dvorak to a regular qwerty no prob, and that’s what I recommend for you (it worked for me for exactly the same reasons).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You get used to the key placement in about 1 work day, and after a week you'll forget about it entirely.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh but if you change to a whole new layout that'll take 3-6 months depending how studious you are. I've learned both dvorak and the maltron one-hand layout and it's not a small commitment.

Frankly, imo, if you can't muster the willpower to learn a split keyboard forget an alternative layout.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

someone said here once that dvorak mainly exists so that people can talk about using dvorak and i think that is correct.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Just a Moron posted:

Thanks, I would like to take a look.

https://github.com/KohlJary/qmk_firmware/blob/kohl-config/keyboards/moonlander/keymaps/KohlJary/keymap.c

Need to take a pass at cleaning things up here and there, but here's the general keymap I'm working with. Primary goal is to get as much as possible available within the main three key rows, using mod-tap functionality for layers and modifiers to save space.The f keys on L_2 probably look weird as hell but it's what I'm adjusted to, don't sleep on F13-24 too, 12 free shortcut keys to assign in pretty much every program. Caps word fuckin' rules too, way more useful than caps lock.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

someone said here once that dvorak mainly exists so that people can talk about using dvorak and i think that is correct.

The fox who longed for grapes, beholds with pain
The tempting clusters were too high to gain;
Grieved in his heart he forced a careless smile,
And cried, 'They’re sharp and hardly worth my while.'

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Sagebrush posted:

back in undergrad we were always very proactive about punking folks who left their terminals unlocked, and the only person we couldn't ever get was The Dvorak Guy because we couldn't complete typing `echo 'echo sleep 0.1 >> ~/.bashrc' >> ~/.bashrc` or setting his wallpaper to the prof nobody liked before he came back to the lab

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

echo 'echo sleep 0.1 >> ~/.bashrc' >> ~/.bashrc`

loving evil

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

they got me exactly once in my final semester by exploiting an xscreensaver lock bypass bug, I hadn't even left it unlocked :arghfist::eng99: and I was big mad

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we usually did cron jobs with sounds -- hasselhoff songs, klaxons, etc.

i think the most evil we got was the random offset cron job that played gsm interference noise

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Oh but if you change to a whole new layout that'll take 3-6 months depending how studious you are. I've learned both dvorak and the maltron one-hand layout and it's not a small commitment.

Frankly, imo, if you can't muster the willpower to learn a split keyboard forget an alternative layout.

the problem was not learning a split keyboard but getting a split keyboard that can be used non-split. i should've know myself better than to try that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
split keyboards rule

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nudgenudgetilt posted:

we usually did cron jobs with sounds -- hasselhoff songs, klaxons, etc.

i think the most evil we got was the random offset cron job that played gsm interference noise

loooooool

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Gotta get the extreme 45 degree tenting going with the split though, makes the whole thing really click comfort wise. The Moonlander platform thing is nice for that, but pretty overpriced if I'm being honest. Could probably 3d print something to accomplish the same thing, or even a resourceful trip to the hardware store or something.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i can expense it so i just ordered moonlander with platform lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would probably buy the thing bc 3dp stuff has an association with "ugly model made flesh, it feels cheap but cost somebody $800"

not making GBS threads on those of you who enjoy that sort of thing. im just not into it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I am terrified of getting a disability that makes me have to use one of those ergo keyboards, I love my '80s Model M and I hate change :ohdear:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hello again "jerks"

so i work for the government and have to use a windows computer with no admin privs. the antimalware blocks the keychron and nuphy boards' USB input because ~security~ as they have onboard storage or something. wireless works but it still triggers the nag screen and logs it.

i'm trying to find a kb without onboard storage/usb hub features that won't trigger some IT person to yell at me.

i want ~65% / 75 keys. slim to win
wired
brown or red switches
don't care about gamer LEDs
cute colorful caps a plus

any recommendations?

btw i'm selling that nuphy kb right here!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

first a question, 65% or 75%? 65% layout is 65-68 keyboards without the function row