Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

All things without payoff until the last battle.

Sanderson then introduces the very silly 2 way bonding. Somehow that didn't need as much setup as the TV show needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Birgitte exists before the last battle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say that if you wanted to tell a condensed and abridged version of the story, the warder intricacies could easily be cut without damaging the narrative much.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not her death. Glad we got the health benefits explained in the show for an episode.

Also a woman/woman bond leads to some pretty heavy emotions. Can't wait for that biotruth.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not her death. Glad we got the health benefits explained in the show for an episode.

Also a woman/woman bond leads to some pretty heavy emotions. Can't wait for that biotruth.

Her death isn't the payoff of her existing. Her existing is the payoff of her existing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

:ok:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dumai's Wells when Alanna can find Rand? The cleansing when Elayne can tell Rand is at the point where the Power is being used? Cadsuane generally using Alanna as a bloodhound whenever Rand runs off? Bryne being stronger and faster during the Seanchan attack of the Tower? Egwene having an excuse to force Myrelle to swear fealty? all the tension between Nynaeve and Lan/Moiraine/Myrelle? Logain bonding Aes Sedai against Taim's wishes.

The warder bond brings up plot points for the whole series, just because a few of them tie up at the end doesn't mean it isn't already important.

Sanderson then introduces the very silly 2 way bonding. Somehow that didn't need as much setup as the TV show needs.
It had the setup of having Asha'man and Aes Sedai bonding each other, but it's the first cross-bonding so it has to come later.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

And our show demonstration was that warders get super sad when their AS dies. I think, around the fire, some of those others were mentioned, but then why not just have exposition for the bond as a whole instead of making up net new characters? It's a bad show decision. I know certain people really do thing rafe can do no wrong. I never knew people felt so strongly about chuck.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

And our show demonstration was that warders get super sad when their AS dies. I think, around the fire, some of those others were mentioned, but then why not just have exposition for the bond as a whole instead of making up net new characters? It's a bad show decision. I know certain people really do thing rafe can do no wrong. I never knew people felt so strongly about chuck.

Show, don't tell

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

pik_d posted:

Dumai's Wells when Alanna can find Rand? The cleansing when Elayne can tell Rand is at the point where the Power is being used? Cadsuane generally using Alanna as a bloodhound whenever Rand runs off? Bryne being stronger and faster during the Seanchan attack of the Tower? Egwene having an excuse to force Myrelle to swear fealty? all the tension between Nynaeve and Lan/Moiraine/Myrelle? Logain bonding Aes Sedai against Taim's wishes.

The warder bond brings up plot points for the whole series, just because a few of them tie up at the end doesn't mean it isn't already important.

It had the setup of having Asha'man and Aes Sedai bonding each other, but it's the first cross-bonding so it has to come later.
How much of the warder bond did you understand after season 1? Did you know Warders get super strength, agility, stamina and vitality? Did you know the bond was a weave of the one power? Did you know the overwhelming grief was a magical drawback, or did you think it was just regular grief over the loss of a really close relationship?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

th3t00t posted:

How much of the warder bond did you understand after season 1? Did you know Warders get super strength, agility, stamina and vitality? Did you know the bond was a weave of the one power? Did you know the overwhelming grief was a magical drawback, or did you think it was just regular grief over the loss of a really close relationship?

The most obvious thing was that they could feel what the other felt, and there were times that it seemed bordering on telepathic. A show watcher also knows it can be used to track each other, and that the Aes Sedai can mask it using the power. The One Power is definitely part of it since Moiraine can't undo the masking she's shielded at the end. The physical boost is hinted at when Moiraine has to help refresh the Emonds Fielders but Lan is still fresh already, unless I'm misremembering.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Stepin and Karene are not new characters. They're appear (and are killed) in New Spring.

th3t00t posted:

The show quite literally shows Stepin collapsing and then flying into a beserker rage as soon as Kerene's killed. While he's in the open fighting and she's in a cave. You would have to be blind and stupid not to be able to tell this is a magical effect.

It is also quite clear that he completely lost the will to live, only holding himself together for the sake of performing one last duty to her. Dialogue makes it pretty clear this is normal.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does it ever come up much what if a warder just dies of old age. Is the Aes Sedai still completely messed up for years?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cheesetriangles posted:

Does it ever come up much what if a warder just dies of old age. Is the Aes Sedai still completely messed up for years?

The bond isn't two way in that regard. The Aes Sedai are frequently loving stupid, but they're not that loving stupid.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Iirc it’s seems to be treated like having a spouse die, some of them get new ones, some never do. I think Cadsuane maybe talks about it?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They can just release the bond if their man has to go into a nursing facility.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

cheesetriangles posted:

You're in luck, there is a two episode arc planned for season three that covers this.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

pik_d posted:

The most obvious thing was that they could feel what the other felt, and there were times that it seemed bordering on telepathic. A show watcher also knows it can be used to track each other, and that the Aes Sedai can mask it using the power. The One Power is definitely part of it since Moiraine can't undo the masking she's shielded at the end. The physical boost is hinted at when Moiraine has to help refresh the Emonds Fielders but Lan is still fresh already, unless I'm misremembering.
Moiraine doesn't refresh the Emond's Fielders in the show, just the horses. So there's no moment where Lan is still fresh.

Show watchers don't know that the grief is magical (bordering on madness), rather than normal emotional grief. And have no idea of the physical enhancements the bond provides to the warder. The show expositioned that a channeler who is cut off from the source permanently has a 100% suicide rate. Did the show make it clear that Warders who's Aes Sedai has died have like a 99% suicide rate?

Show watchers are aware of the emotional telepathic link, which also provides location.

Gnoman posted:

Stepin and Karene are not new characters. They're appear (and are killed) in New Spring.

The show quite literally shows Stepin collapsing and then flying into a beserker rage as soon as Kerene's killed. While he's in the open fighting and she's in a cave. You would have to be blind and stupid not to be able to tell this is a magical effect.

It is also quite clear that he completely lost the will to live, only holding himself together for the sake of performing one last duty to her. Dialogue makes it pretty clear this is normal.
They do not show him flying into a berserker rage. He stops fighting. Then follows an order from Alana to leave the battlefield to go to the cave to secure Logain. That's the opposite of showing a magically induced suicidal berserker rage.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

th3t00t posted:

Moiraine doesn't refresh the Emond's Fielders in the show, just the horses. So there's no moment where Lan is still fresh.

Show watchers don't know that the grief is magical (bordering on madness), rather than normal emotional grief. And have no idea of the physical enhancements the bond provides to the warder. The show expositioned that a channeler who is cut off from the source permanently has a 100% suicide rate. Did the show make it clear that Warders who's Aes Sedai has died have like a 99% suicide rate?

Show watchers are aware of the emotional telepathic link, which also provides location.

They do not show him flying into a berserker rage. He stops fighting. Then follows an order from Alana to leave the battlefield to go to the cave to secure Logain. That's the opposite of showing a magically induced suicidal berserker rage.

Either you haven't watched it or you're being intentionally disingenuous.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Invalid Validation posted:

They can just release the bond if their man has to go into a nursing facility.

The green Moraine was talking to in her bedroom brought up that "She read about a way to release the bond". She wasn't talking like it was common knowledge like it was in the books. The books had transferring it being fairly unknown, but releasing the bond being common knowledge among the Aes Sedai.

Jedit posted:

The bond isn't two way in that regard. The Aes Sedai are frequently loving stupid, but they're not that loving stupid.

If a Warder dies suddenly in the books, it's still bad for an Aes Sedai but not as bad as the other way around. They don't fly into a completely suicidal state and can get over it, but they're definitely not ok for a long time afterwards. There's more than one conversation in the book about older Aes Sedai who never took a second warder because they didn't want to go through the same thing when the second one died as well.

And I liked the Stepin episode, it was well done. That being said, actually having him fly into a berserker rage and just hacking his way through Logain's army until he dies from blood loss, refusing to go back into the cave to deal with Logain so they have to leave him to die, then a quick explanation to Nynaeve saying "That's what happens to a Warder when his Aes Sedai dies, there's no way out he just goes nuts and gets himself killed." Throw in some meaningful looks between her and Moraine and her and Lan and I think it would have worked better.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

I mean, they showed what happened. And how everybody knew it was going to happen. And how despite knowing it was going to happen, and taking all precautions to stop it from happening, it happened anyway.

quote:

You're right he doesn't fly into a berserker rage. But it would take an astounding degree of media illiteracy to not understand that he knows what happened. If we want to pretend that the people watching the show weren't asleep, we might imagine them wondering if the fact that the composition equates his shock to that of a character who's never been in a battle before means that it's more than "normal" grief at the sudden death of a loved one.

You're pretending that people don't understand something unless a character looks straight to camera and explains it.

ETA:

quote:

Today I learned that a lifetime of military training repels not just mud and dirt, but all debris from a warriors boots during a thunderstorm as they walk through a muddy courtyard. Good to know!
You made such a big deal about this I went back and watched this scene too. His boots are not only wet, but also have mud on the soles and toes, and are as shiny as you would expect leather boots to be. Have you watched it recently?

Gambor fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 31, 2023

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Gambor posted:

You're pretending that people don't understand something unless a character looks straight to camera and explains it.

Reading social media it sometimes feels this way.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Bootschat is silly. If there's a minor descriptive detail that you want to complain about, it's obviously the Shadar Logoth dagger.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always imagined it curved almost in a radius. Don't ask me why.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Let's go back to Mat and Rand traveling alone for months and their clothes are spotless.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

cheesetriangles posted:

Let's go back to Mat and Rand traveling alone for months and their clothes are spotless.

They got naked every day together to wash their clothes in the Arinelle

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gambor posted:

I mean, they showed what happened. And how everybody knew it was going to happen. And how despite knowing it was going to happen, and taking all precautions to stop it from happening, it happened anyway.

You're right he doesn't fly into a berserker rage. But it would take an astounding degree of media illiteracy to not understand that he knows what happened. If we want to pretend that the people watching the show weren't asleep, we might imagine them wondering if the fact that the composition equates his shock to that of a character who's never been in a battle before means that it's more than "normal" grief at the sudden death of a loved one.

ETA:

You made such a big deal about this I went back and watched this scene too. His boots are not only wet, but also have mud on the soles and toes, and are as shiny as you would expect leather boots to be. Have you watched it recently?
Thank you for the bolded, I know I'm right, I literally just watched it. The show did communicate the telepathic nature of the bond, which I pointed out in my last post. I never said Steppin didn't realize what happened to Kerene through the bond.

Are we watching the same scene? I just pulled the scene up again and paused it every time they show his boots. Lan's boots are wet and have nothing else on them, they look brand new off the rack. There is no mud or dirt or grass or leaves or anything else. His boots are so clean they reflect the fire and candle light in the inn. I'm not even the goon that started the boots derail, I simply agreed with them and got dog piled for it.

Lan's boots not having any mud doesn't ruin the series for me on it's own. It's simply one example out of many of poor production quality. There's an overall cheep and chintzy look to the sets, costumes, numbers of extras(covid isn't an excuse, they could have digitally imposed more people) and CGI. The overall WB/CW production quality does kinda ruin it for me.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think it's a little unfortunate that every fantasy show is inevitably going to be compared to Game of Thrones; which, whatever your opinions on it might be, had incredible production quality.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

I never said Steppin didn't realize what happened to Kerene through the bond.
Please take this in the spirit in which it's intended. I do very much want to understand. What are you complaining about then?
The whole thing shows that the Warder Bond conveys some level of supernatural awareness, which includes at minimum the ability to know if the other is ok from a distance. That the impact of at least one of the participants dying is enough to shock a hardened warrior into total inaction in the middle of a raging battle. That the aftermath is so commonly fatal, the guy was put under suicide watch. And the impulse is strong enough that he drugged a close friend to create the opportunity to do the deed.

As far as I can tell, you aren't one of the people complaining that this wasn't information that was worth showing. Rather you're complaining that people wouldn't have gotten it, or that it didn't communicate the stakes? I'm lost here.

quote:

Are we watching the same scene? I just pulled the scene up again and paused it every time they show his boots. Lan's boots are wet and have nothing else on them, they look brand new off the rack. There is no mud or dirt or grass or leaves or anything else. His boots are so clean they reflect the fire and candle light in the inn. I'm not even the goon that started the boots derail, I simply agreed with them and got dog piled for it.

Here's a screenshot of a closeup of one of the boots. As far as I can tell the brown stuff on the bottom that isn't shiny is mud, and the shine is at the level I would expect for wet tanned riding boots. I will admit in this one frame it looks more like a horse hoof than a boot, but you'll have to trust me. If we disagree, I don't think we'll ever get closer by talking about it.

Gambor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 1, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

cheesetriangles posted:

th3t00t posted:

Lan's boots not having any mud doesn't ruin the series for me on it's own. It's simply one example out of many of poor production quality. There's an overall cheep and chintzy look to the sets, costumes, numbers of extras(covid isn't an excuse, they could have digitally imposed more people) and CGI. The overall WB/CW production quality does kinda ruin it for me.

(Ishmaelishly) destroy this thread!!! so that it may never return!!! Give me the void!!!

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 1, 2023

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

(Ishmaelishly) destroy this thread!!! so that it may never return!!! Give me the void!!!

To be fair I was mocking people getting mad about it.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always imagined it curved almost in a radius. Don't ask me why.
For whatever reason, it's always been karambit-like in my mind's eye. I think it's just 'cause they look eviler, and the finger-hole is a perfect place to put the necessary ruby (even if that doesn't make much, like, knife-sense).

I 100% understand getting stuck in the details of book-to-screen, though, and how it can reflect elsewhere in your mind. As an example... You want to know what really, really bugged me when I saw the first Harry Potter movie (and still does, tbh)? Professor McGonagall had round glasses. In the books, of course, she has square glasses. It's an absolute triviality, the tiniest nit to pick, and yet... and yet it would have been very easy to just get right. It's glasses. And they didn't.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This is what shined boots look like. Lan just has well made and maintained leather boots. Like, the phrase "mirror shine" isn't really much of a hyperbole when you get down to it. Lan's boots wouldn't have passed inspection, not even including the water and mud.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Who the gently caress cares about anything of this

Padan Fain rules

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We need an update on the show urgently to stop these arguments

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove