Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

The Love Guru is really funny for the fact that that of all things was his big passion project and it basically ended his career. Other than cameos the only things he's done since were Shrek 4 immediately after, and then The Pentaverate last year which I don't think anyone I know is even aware of.

You forgot he was in Inglorious Basterds after the Love Guru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched about 15 minutes of the pentaverate and it was excruciating

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The only thing I've seen of the Pentaverate is the bit where someone in a shrek costume saves him and then music plays and everyone starts dancing. I cannot imagine any show made in the light of god leading up to that scene.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Are there any examples of actor/directors big passion projects not immediately being complete failures?

Schindler's List

Deadpool

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Inception was a big passion project for Nolan that he was only able to get made after Dark Knight was a hit.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Codependent Poster posted:

That was like a 5 minute bit part though

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At one point Dreamworks thought they’d be up to Shrek 8 by about 10 years ago. Then people got sick of it and they finally went and did something else. I guess they’re working on a 5th one though. From what I’ve heard people were actually really positive on their last Puss in Boots movie.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure Titanic was also his passion project.

James Cameron only has one passion project; drowning actors & actresses

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Casimir Radon posted:

At one point Dreamworks thought they’d be up to Shrek 8 by about 10 years ago. Then people got sick of it and they finally went and did something else. I guess they’re working on a 5th one though. From what I’ve heard people were actually really positive on their last Puss in Boots movie.

That's what I had thought too, but the last Shrek movie did over $750M box office? Lot of restraint cor a company to say 'Lets not roll the dice again' after that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's what I had thought too, but the last Shrek movie did over $750M box office? Lot of restraint cor a company to say 'Lets not roll the dice again' after that.
Wow. I thought it had done a lot worse than that. Maybe they had an internal return on investment they had to hit and didn’t make it. The third one was so awful I didn’t bother giving anything after it a chance.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Casimir Radon posted:

The new Puss In Boots is okay but very derivative. You can tell that they saw Spiderverse during pre-production and decided to just do all the action sequences like that for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The new Puss In Boots is okay but very derivative. You can tell that they saw Spiderverse during pre-production and decided to just do all the action sequences like that for some reason.

Because it looks loving awesome, that's why.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like a post-Epstein X-Files can work but would be way darker.

Also would be very similar to True Detective season 1.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw those as well and I was amazed that anyone was still giving Myers money to make his projects

I too saw those clips and I'm not sure anyone actually spent money on that project.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I too saw those clips and I'm not sure anyone actually spent money on that project.

I assume the Shrek bit had to cost SOMETHING.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mike Myers seems to just drastically overestimate the appeal and novelty of putting on a stupid accent and appearing to be vaguely foreign. It's not the early 90s anymore, and he's not Sacha Baron Cohen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Are there any examples of actor/directors big passion projects not immediately being complete failures?

Blue Velvet.
Lord of the Rings.
The Last Temptation of Christ.
Apocalypse Now.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Rocky.
The Matrix.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is with passion projects is that if they're actually A: good ideas in the first place and 2: allowed to be made well with adequate resources and creative freedom, they can be, y'know, some of the best and/or most profitable movies in the world, because the people in charge are bringing their A-game and allowed to show it off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with passion projects is that if they're actually A: good ideas in the first place and 2: allowed to be made well with adequate resources and creative freedom, they can be, y'know, some of the best and/or most profitable movies in the world, because the people in charge are bringing their A-game and allowed to show it off.

And one the flipside you got Robert Downey Jr. shoving a leek up a dragon's rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Indeed. I think one of the key factors here is that 'high-profile actor starring in adaptation of mediocre children's book only boomers remember, or something that might as well be' is one of the 'not a good idea' categories. Hell, the Simpsons made fun of it with Troy McClure.

Doesn't help it has heavy overlap with actors suddenly doing a bunch of mediocre to garbage kids movies because they want to make appropriate fare for their own kids, or just pass themselves off as family-friendly in attempts to break out of their niche.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mike Myers is so insecure that he attempted to have Garth’s screen time reduced in the first Wayne’s World because he knew how much funnier Dana Carvey is than him.

He also insisted that Guru Pitka was his greatest creation and that he had been workshopping and fine-tuning it in comedy clubs around the world for years before making the movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was also some drama between the two because Dr Evil was just Myers doing Carveys impression of Lorne. Down to the behaviors and personality

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He also insists on doing that Scottish accent in every loving thing he’s ever been in. Shrek, Fat Bastard, the dad in So I Married an Axe Murderer, SNL, Cat in the Hat, etc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Av post combo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My avatar was vandalized, I’m still very cross.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

It's kinda wild how Tarantino can make someone cool again and then they waste that opportunity. Samuel L. Jackson grabbed onto that opportunity with both hands while Travolta and Myers choose...differently.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
*ahem*

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda wild how Tarantino can make someone cool again and then they waste that opportunity. Samuel L. Jackson grabbed onto that opportunity with both hands while Travolta and Myers choose...differently.

I'd have to look up if the timeline's right, but I think we got Face/off out of Travolta's PF revival.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Let's be fair about this, Travolta rode that cool train for a good 15-20 years from a central role in one of Tarantino's films, Myers had essentially a cameo in Basterds as a Michael Fassbinder's prissy superior. It's not like he was out there clubbing Nazis.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Steven Tyler is such a bad actor in that one. That's a joke because he is playing himself, but it's not a joke because he's actually bad at acting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s funny how everyone says “turtle turtle” to make fun of master of disguise but nobody can be bothered to even remember what was bad about love guru not even “the guru pitka” followed by him cringe mugging at the camera

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s funny how everyone says “turtle turtle” to make fun of master of disguise but nobody can be bothered to even remember what was bad about love guru not even “the guru pitka” followed by him cringe mugging at the camera

P sure casting all my brain's recollections of Love Guru into oblivion was a defense mechanism to prevent serious trauma

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Before the D&D movie they played one of those "Thanks for coming to the theater" videos with the cast and it was very funny how much Hugh Grant looked he didn't want to be there at all.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Ben Kinsley as Guru Tugginmypuddha.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alan Smithee posted:

See you say that but I definitely cannot forget that he tries to make Mariska Hargitay's name into a catchphrase all throughout that movie.

Like, the actress, not a character she plays.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There was one good joke, it was the voice-over machine one, and it was in the trailer so I never saw the movie. It looks garbage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Before the D&D movie they played one of those "Thanks for coming to the theater" videos with the cast and it was very funny how much Hugh Grant looked he didn't want to be there at all.

When that started playing, I also regretted being there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Let's be fair about this, Travolta rode that cool train for a good 15-20 years from a central role in one of Tarantino's films,

I think suggesting that Travolta's ride on the cool train for a decade is more than fair considering that during that time period he made Michael, Phenomenon and Battlefield Earth. More realistically it ended three years with Face/Off as the last stop.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

The true crime was The Cat in the Hat, which has been forgotten even more thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Asterite34 posted:

Ben Kinsley as Guru Tugginmypuddha.

John Oliver as Dick Pants
Verne Troyer as Coach Punch Cherkov