Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Elem7 posted:

I'm curious how well those flow. I'm mostly using plastic Gilmour fittings, which are definitely going to fail within 1-3 seasons, because all the brass ones I've tried were to restrictive and I've found they lead to a noticeable drop in pressure whereas the plastic Gilmour's at least flow well.

Full port, baby. When I said they were big and clunky, well, that's why. The only downside is on the female/hose end, if you want to just jam your thumb over it for a quick spray, you can't do it very well because the opening is so big. But they are fully repairable, and there's enough meat on the female end that it will suffer being dragged over concrete and whatnot.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Which hose did you get? I've yet to find one that doesn't kink.

(To be fair, the decent ones I have only really kink in winter when I'm resurfacing the skating rink. No issues in summer)

Man go for the Eley hoses I linked right above - They are all around solid and I've never had a problem with one. After seeing it and the hose reel cart, both my dad and brother immediately bought them, too. None of us have had any issues. It isn't the lightest hose or anything but it's not as heavy as one of those old solid rubber ones, either. When I'm dragging it around all over the place, I do occasionally get it to kink - and almost always un-kink it just with a flick of the wrist. Plus, they will custom make them to whatever size you want. I got a 120' so I could reach my distant point from the hose tap, but not have extra or deal with any internal connections/joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Which hose did you get? I've yet to find one that doesn't kink.

(To be fair, the decent ones I have only really kink in winter when I'm resurfacing the skating rink. No issues in summer)
Something like these:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/NeverKink-Teknor-Apex-Neverkink-Heavy-Duty-5-8IN-x50FT/5000141113
Been a few years since I bought them so idk if it's exactly those, but it was the fairly expensive ones that say WILL NOT KINK all over them. They don't *never* kink, but its definitely not a permanent kink like happens with cheap hoses.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What's the best way to clean up rusty/dirty old sockets?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Hexigrammus posted:

Those look pretty good, haven't seen them before. I've settled on the slightly smaller solid brass quick connects that Lee Valley and some others sell. They're getting ridiculously expensive but they last for years and if they start leaking the seal is easy to replace. The best price now is a local irrigation shop that caters to professional landscapers.

Everything else available in town is junk. Home Depot used to sell solid brass fittings that worked well (and were compatible with the Lee Valley couplers) but the MBAs worked their magic and they started using pot metal instead. And don't get me started on the lack of standardization. :bahgawd:

I picked up some quick connects for garden hoses from a hydraulics shop. Several years later and they're still kicking

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

brugroffil posted:

What's the best way to clean up rusty/dirty old sockets?

A soak in evapo-rust?

Hose chat: Project Farm did a video last year on the subject for anyone interested in his reviews.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

A soak in evapo-rust?

This.....or even just oil. It all depends on how bad they are. And there is a very early cutoff of "just throw them in the trash" for this.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
More for nostalgia than anything. Some of my grandpa's Williams sockets from his career as a mechanic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

brugroffil posted:

More for nostalgia than anything. Some of my grandpa's Williams sockets from his career as a mechanic.
I've soaked a bunch of rusty poo poo in vinegar before.

The cleaning strength stuff which I think is about 10%.

It took a few days, but worked good as gently caress

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elem7 posted:

A soak in evapo-rust?

Hose chat: Project Farm did a video last year on the subject for anyone interested in his reviews.

It'll strip the chrome off, not recommended.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Edit: wrong thread

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Got my Eley hose nozzle and quick connects. These guys don't mess around. Packaging is top notch:

The little tubes for quick connects are super cool quarter turn, will actually be useful small parts organizers, not just trash.
If you dropped the nozzle on you foot you'd feel it.

Will be good encouragement to not be mean to it. I bought the garden rain tip and the cleaning tip.

Quick connects come slathered in oring grease and operate smoothly. Quality overall feels impeccable. Id take some action shots but we got an inch of rain overnight.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there some medium-duty cleaner I can use to clean a bath tub?

I Do Beach Things often and the tub is a repository of dirt, wetsuit soaking ejecta, tanning oil, surf wax, and whatever my I feet pick up through the day. I hang wetsuits and dive gear to drip, and I also wear sandals 95% of the time so anything I stood in or walked over immediately deposits on the bottom of the tub and the texture makes it stick hard.

I can clean it with a brush but I have to scrub it like a motherfucker. Something better?

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
I was going to say Jif but apparently that's peanut butter in the US, so... Cif? and a non scratch scourer works pretty well in my shower tray (kids, jandal wearers, garage grease, grass stains etc)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there some medium-duty cleaner I can use to clean a bath tub?

I Do Beach Things often and the tub is a repository of dirt, wetsuit soaking ejecta, tanning oil, surf wax, and whatever my I feet pick up through the day. I hang wetsuits and dive gear to drip, and I also wear sandals 95% of the time so anything I stood in or walked over immediately deposits on the bottom of the tub and the texture makes it stick hard.

I can clean it with a brush but I have to scrub it like a motherfucker. Something better?

A canister steam cleaner, like so.
https://a.co/d/4DyZxNJ

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

canyoneer posted:

A canister steam cleaner, like so.
https://a.co/d/4DyZxNJ

If that model is a for-sure purchase you're going to keep:
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1066288/mcculloch-heavy-duty-steam-cleaner.jsp?skuId=92766817

Code FRIEND20 will drop the price down to $120. Free shipping
Hmmm... or nevermind, that expires at midnight. Eh, another coupon will pop up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If your tub is porcelain coated cast iron then Barkeeper's Friend. It's a powder in a can, shake some on and scrub and you'll be amazed. Super cheap too.

If it's fiberglass Barkeepers makes a spray bottle version that still uses oxalic acid but doesn't have any grit to it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have an outlet 10’ above my workbench, 13’ off the floor. What’s the best way to have an extension cord hang down from there but be able to pull it up out if the way when not needed? I see all kinds of retractable cord reels-will they stop at a certain height when they retract or will they always retract all the way (and this out of reach) Any advice on who makes a decent one? At least 14ga wire, ideally 12.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

They come with a plastic stopper ball that you can use to set the minimum length. Reelcraft is the best around, but $$$. I like the Flexzilla ones on a budget. Not massively better than the other plastic ones, but has a high quality cord.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure they all use the same type of bumper that's adjustable so you can control exactly how much it retracts in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWYBQFL

I bought that one almost 4 years ago, it was $100 cheaper at the time, I haven't had any problems with it but my use honestly has been fairly light. I chose that one because it was the longest 12ga one I could find at the time that wasn't crazy expensive and I wanted a cord long enough to use it just outside my garage as well as in. I likely wouldn't of bought it at the current price but according to CamelCamelCamel its only shot up somewhat recently.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks like Northern Tool has a 12ga, 40’ one for a reasonable price so I think I’ll try that. Thanks for the info

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Season 3 of The Secret Life of components comes out this week, if you like to learn about simple electrical and mechanical bits and pieces from a cool old British guy. Tim's a legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za-GyTt729M

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I love Tim but I couldn't get through his component videos. It's just too boring to learn about the 10 different sizes of bike chain.
I would love a supercut of all the mechanisms that he demonstrates in them, though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DTO has a sale on reconditioned stuff, the Ryobi brad nailer is $41.99: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/ZRP320

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

more falafel please posted:

DTO has a sale on reconditioned stuff, the Ryobi brad nailer is $41.99: https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/ZRP320

Just got some dang good deals.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Posting this in the AI tools thread as well.

For those of you who might be looking, Tekton has 20% off sale on ratcheting wrenches right now until some time in July I think.

Also the email I got mentioned that there will be some discontinued sets going on clearance in the not too distant future.

https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/ratcheting-wrenches

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

more falafel please posted:

For today only everything is 40% off, including blems which have factory warranty

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I am mad at DTO. The Ryobi finish nailer that I want is listed at 4 different prices, and the cheap ones are pickup only. The more expensive two can be shipped.

I also don't understand why the apparently same model, refurbished, is available at two significantly different msrps.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

BeAuMaN posted:

For today only everything is 40% off, including blems which have factory warranty

Ohshi, I thought it was just reconditioned.

If anyone needs a lunchbox planer I absolutely love that Ridgid for the money. Also bought mine on a 40% off, can't beat it.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/R4331

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Slugworth posted:

I am mad at DTO. The Ryobi finish nailer that I want is listed at 4 different prices, and the cheap ones are pickup only. The more expensive two can be shipped.

I also don't understand why the apparently same model, refurbished, is available at two significantly different msrps.

I just googled it and the cheaper model (p325) actually has more features, the P326 doesn't let you selected between single-fire and contact actuation, it's single fire only. So you're getting double boned if you want contact actuation.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Danhenge posted:

I just googled it and the cheaper model (p325) actually has more features, the P326 doesn't let you selected between single-fire and contact actuation, it's single fire only. So you're getting double boned if you want contact actuation.
Oh, I had initially figured they were different models, but I couldn't find model numbers listed (I see them now), and they look the same at a quick glance. I'm seeing the differences now though. Basically I owe DTO an apology.

Strange about the contact actuation, but I don't install trim fast enough to need it one way or another.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 1, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

Ohshi, I thought it was just reconditioned.

If anyone needs a lunchbox planer I absolutely love that Ridgid for the money. Also bought mine on a 40% off, can't beat it.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/R4331

Love mine. Still waiting for the jointer to show up on sale.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

ThirstyBuck posted:

Love mine. Still waiting for the jointer to show up on sale.

I haven't even seen it available on a couple years let alone on sale. Found one listed on craigslist a couple hours away and was on that thing like white on rice. No lifetime warranty, but for $200 I'm not complaining. It's also to the point you can actually work on it yourself if needed. Assuming you don't break the cast iron it's a pretty simple belt driven setup, just about everything is replaceable or even upgradable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

I haven't even seen it available on a couple years let alone on sale. Found one listed on craigslist a couple hours away and was on that thing like white on rice. No lifetime warranty, but for $200 I'm not complaining. It's also to the point you can actually work on it yourself if needed. Assuming you don't break the cast iron it's a pretty simple belt driven setup, just about everything is replaceable or even upgradable.
Some large and old jointers are direct drive, but 90% of jointers are belt driven and very simple machines.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm looking for resources on building a nice workbench. I'm setting up a shop and i currently do not have a workbench, though i am borrowing a worktable for this project.

I plan on doing mostly woodworking (power tools & cnc) and metalworking, minus the hot work. I've got a 2-car garage I'm setting up in right now, and my plan is a general purpose workbench, a woodworking workbench, and then probably something I can drop my table saw and router table into.

What are features that you think make a good workbench? What little extras are you a big fan of? How do you pick dimensions? Any recommended reading or videos?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
A woodworking bench for traditional joinery is slightly different than one for strictly power tools (it doesn't need as much mass to withstand whacks).

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

HolHorsejob posted:

What are features that you think make a good workbench? What little extras are you a big fan of? How do you pick dimensions? Any recommended reading or videos?

My favorite part about my tool bench is power outlets on every side. Obviously can't use them all at the same time but it's so drat convenient.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fran of Franlab does a lot of 16mm film to digital transfers on her channel in addition to electronics projects. This one from 1968 is a pretty good introduction to power tools from the time, probably would have been made for orientation to a wood shop class or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSzTB-nYM8I

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rexxed posted:

Fran of Franlab does a lot of 16mm film to digital transfers on her channel in addition to electronics projects. This one from 1968 is a pretty good introduction to power tools from the time, probably would have been made for orientation to a wood shop class or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSzTB-nYM8I

Make sure drill is at 90° to the workpiece and tongue is firmly placed diagonally.

These are charming. Back when B&D made solid tools too.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Not sure if this is the right thread. Sorry if it isnt.

I have an old john deer jx75 walk behind lawn mower. Its great. No complaints at all. One small part on the blade control lever is broken and its a $142.40 part. Should i just buy the part or is there some new lawn mower i should put that money towards? Every mower ive looked at just seems like it wont last more than 5 years. Any insight is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

ZombieCrew posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread. Sorry if it isnt.

I have an old john deer jx75 walk behind lawn mower. Its great. No complaints at all. One small part on the blade control lever is broken and its a $142.40 part. Should i just buy the part or is there some new lawn mower i should put that money towards? Every mower ive looked at just seems like it wont last more than 5 years. Any insight is appreciated.

I’ve been out of the mower repair game for about 5 years, but we used to sell Honda mowers and even the cheapest one would last over 5 years (barring any ethanol related issues from sitting with poo poo gas too long). That said, those Kawasaki engines on your JX75 seem to last until the heat death of the universe, so it’s probably worth $150 to keep it going assuming the rest of the mower is in good condition.

The other end of the spectrum would be to buy a $1000 Honda commercial mower; we esimated they lasted about 20,000 miles (I know, weird metric) of 8 hr/day commercial abuse before the decks started to crack and all the height adjustment stuff was worn out. These issues made them not worth paying us to fix them, but the motors were still going strong.