Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NinersNation/status/1642965452396568577?s=20

Yessssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cousins to the 49ers

Lamar to the Vikings

Make it happen Kwesi

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Decent explanation on why the Bears might have been fine with moving on from Montgomery.

https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/status/1642985561676996608

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Decent explanation on why the Bears might have been fine with moving on from Montgomery.

https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/status/1642985561676996608

Odd since they were trying to sign him and he chose Detroit. (likely more guaranteed from Detroit).

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

More guaranteed wins baby let's gooo (don't @ me when the wheels fall off)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Parallelwoody posted:

More guaranteed wins baby let's gooo (don't @ me when the wheels fall off)

Lions going to lose to the Rodgers led Jets in the Super Bowl.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Danny LaFever posted:

Odd since they were trying to sign him and he chose Detroit. (likely more guaranteed from Detroit).

Brad Biggs of the Tribune--who's terrible, don't get me wrong, but occasionally gets things right, such as repeating that this is a multi-year rebuild for the Bears--said that this was exactly it, that the Bears' offer didn't include any guaranteed money after the first year.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

IcePhoenix posted:

Cousins to the 49ers

Lamar to the Vikings

Make it happen Kwesi

They do have a recent track record of fully guaranteed QB contracts

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Brad Biggs of the Tribune--who's terrible, don't get me wrong, but occasionally gets things right, such as repeating that this is a multi-year rebuild for the Bears--said that this was exactly it, that the Bears' offer didn't include any guaranteed money after the first year.

Don't really have an issue with the Bears not keeping him. He probably matters more to the Lions atm anyways.

In the video it does talk about a short coming of Montgomery. He doesn't have that burst to really rip off huge runs like Herbert, but you need a back that can miss tackle and get you the short yardage stuff. Like Williams last year or Montgomery for his whole career. The Lions already have Swift they need a back to compliment that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Danny LaFever posted:

Don't really have an issue with the Bears not keeping him. He probably matters more to the Lions atm anyways.

In the video it does talk about a short coming of Montgomery. He doesn't have that burst to really rip off huge runs like Herbert, but you need a back that can miss tackle and get you the short yardage stuff. Like Williams last year or Montgomery for his whole career. The Lions already have Swift they need a back to compliment that.

Yeah, Montgomery is a power, bruising running back, not a speedster. He also wasn't great at blocking or receiving.

He's a "nice to have," not "must-have," player.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seems like he's okay in pass pro. He's a good catching back. Better than Williams was.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

Yeah, Montgomery is a power, bruising running back, not a speedster. He also wasn't great at blocking or receiving.

He's a "nice to have," not "must-have," player.

He’s a good receiver and ok blocker. Better than Herbert in both areas. This actually has a good comparison.

https://www.dabearsblog.com/2023/how-valuable-is-david-montgomery-part-2

The Bears might actually miss him as a safety outlet receiver.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Danny LaFever posted:

Seems like he's okay in pass pro. He's a good catching back. Better than Williams was.

Williams was great at pass pro in GB. Did something change? That was always Aaron Jones' biggest knock when Jones and Williams were the backs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A bruising runner like Montgomery is also a good fit for a gap run scheme team like Detroit. Dan Campbell is gonna bring back the Power I baby

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hot Diggity! posted:

Williams was great at pass pro in GB. Did something change? That was always Aaron Jones' biggest knock when Jones and Williams were the backs.

grammar on my end. Williams was really good in pass pro and almost non-existent in passing.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Are other divisions this incestuous with their running backs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

david montgomery is a really good running back and the bears are worse without him

unless they acquire evan hull or justin jackson "the ball carrier"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I loved Montgomery and I might get poo poo on for this take, but D'onta Foreman is probably just as good as him for what the Bears need.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Niwrad posted:

I loved Montgomery and I might get poo poo on for this take, but D'onta Foreman is probably just as good as him for what the Bears need.

Not by me. This is the right take. Im just pissed we gotta go against him twice a year. He gonna fuckin steam roll us like Cedric Benson (rip).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ZombieCrew posted:

Not by me. This is the right take. Im just pissed we gotta go against him twice a year. He gonna fuckin steam roll us like Cedric Benson (rip).

drat I forgot that he had died.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Foreman put up 165 yards against the Lions last year. That could be a fun game!

SourKraut posted:

drat I forgot that he had died.

Oh poo poo, same.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm still so thrown by that Carolina game, the homer in me really wants to discard it due to the freezing cold weather but unless they go and win the 1 seed, that's playoff weather and you need to be prepared for it.

I went to PFF to find all the RBs with 100-yard games against the Lions after their bye, and I only found three who even got to 75:

83 - Tony Pollard, Week 7
165 - D'Onta Foreman, Week 16
125 - Chuba Hubbard, also Week 16

(yes, I did specify RBs to avoid including Josh Allen and Justin Fields twice)

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I loved Monty but he was just a slightly above average running back, and those are replaceable if you value running back that much.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Clearly Chicago does, they made their best running back a QB :v:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If Jamaal could get 1,000 yards at 4 YPC with that O-line, i’d imagine Montgomery is going to have a field day behind that same O-line.

And I love Jamaal, but something like 13 or 14 of those 17 touchdowns were from the 2 or 3 yard line.

It also helps that Montgomery can get involved in the passing game.

Jamaal was a non-factor when it came to catching passes.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

He isn't, but he's fine for his cost.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
Keeanu Benton: Settin' your hips, settin' your feet, shifting your weight that all translates so well to the football field...
That's Benton on being a former wrestler. Good stuff.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
yeah, he owns

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is insane that the draft hasn't happened yet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress you, Florio.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gently caress you, Florio.

I know, the 9ers need to focus on Rodgers

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

forkboy84 posted:

I know, the 9ers need to focus on Rodgers

But if he's not in the NFC we can't embarrassingly eject him from the playoffs.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Just :lol: if the first time the Packers beat the 49ers in the playoffs this century, it’s Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But if he's not in the NFC we can't embarrassingly eject him from the playoffs.

Just root for a 43-8 super bowl!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Just :lol: if the first time the Packers beat the 49ers in the playoffs this century, it’s Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

It'd be funnier if it wasn't.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Just root for a 43-8 super bowl!

I can do this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1644387559555100672?s=20

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Hopefully that means they figured out a way to pay him back his money outside the stupid NFL rules on that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Scipiotik posted:

Hopefully that means they figured out a way to pay him back his money outside the stupid NFL rules on that.

Considering they said they're working with his charity, I suspect they are funneling it back that way.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1644674548317528064?t=rW--90EMYFtR9WLYgpP3JA&s=19

Assuming he does end up singing with the Lions, this would be another great move by Holmes. Backup QB is quietly one of the biggest need positions at this point, and Bridgewater is by far the best one on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I heard the bears got yet another d line guy and I still think the o line is garbo so poles gets a failing grade