Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nichael posted:

Life started in my mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orbis Tertius posted:

Retrocausality yields a collider at the source of an EPR-Bell particle pair, and in this case constraint of the collider is possible by normal methods of experimental preparation

im pretty sure this is nonsense, star trek level techno babble

euphronius posted:

dna was put here by weird blue aliens who needed a new place to reincarnate in the physical realm and work on karmic debt.

this however, is obviously true, its self evident duh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Orbis Tertius posted:

neat for-lay-peeps (ostensibly) paper on entanglement and retrocausality. link

abstract:

link to the paper referenced at the end of the abstract

lol when you are known for the pro- duces they call you Large Hadron :smug:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

seriously though I am too dumb for that general audience abstract give it to me in grade 2

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

probably! I really wouldn’t know.

Bilirubin posted:

seriously though I am too dumb for that general audience abstract give it to me in grade 2

the ‘problem’ it’s addressing is entanglement or “spooky action at a distance” happening faster than light speed, which doesn’t currently have a satisfactory explanation. retrocausality would be a potential explanation.

I know I found the link to the paper from a wired.com or something article, or some other techy site, which would probably be helpful but I can’t seem to find it :(

Orbis Tertius has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Apr 4, 2023

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

quote:

Baba [Swami Muktananda] had just begun delivering his discourse with his opening statement: 'Today's subject is meditation. The crux of the question is: What do we meditate upon?' Continuing his talk, Baba said: 'Kundalini starts dancing when one repeats Om Namah Shivaya.' Hearing this, I mentally repeated the mantra, I noticed that my breathing was getting heavier. Suddenly, I felt a great impact of a rising force within me. The intensity of this rising kundalini force was so tremendous that my body lifted up a little and fell flat into the aisle; my eyeglasses flew off. As I lay there with my eyes closed, I could see a continuous fountain of dazzling white lights erupting within me. In brilliance, these lights were brighter than the sun but possessed no heat at all. I was experiencing the thought-free state of "I am", realizing that "I" have always been, and will continue to be, eternal. I was fully conscious and completely aware while I was experiencing the pure "I am", a state of supreme bliss. Outwardly, at that precise moment, Baba delightfully shouted from his platform, ‘I didn't do anything. The Energy has caught someone.' Baba noticed that the dramatic awakening of kundalini in me frightened some people in the audience. Therefore, he said, 'Do not be frightened. Sometimes kundalini gets awakened in this way, depending upon a person's type.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

life is random from lucky space chemical reactions that happily smashed into a warm wet planet

as above so below

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not getting anywhere near kundalini

way to crazy

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
kundalingus

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Delta-Wye posted:

Nah, this scans. It's a real physics paper. The idea might be somewhere in the grey area but it's standard quantum interpretations stuff, analyzing one particular bell inequality experiment.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rickshaw posted:

Nah, this scans. It's a real physics paper. The idea might be somewhere in the grey area but it's standard quantum interpretations stuff, analyzing one particular bell inequality experiment.

:thejoke:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

as above so below

the way that movie ended gave me chills lol

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I need a podcast rec.

Have finished all the Our Strange Skies episodes where it’s just the host talking. The guest/banter episodes are fine but I’m looking for just a single person doing a narrative. Are there any other bird pods that have a similar case file style and aren’t overly skeptical but not woo-y either? Looking for something I can listen to in the dark at night without driving myself insane.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it ain’t uap but Forensic Files is the goat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

He's always angry so he's can become hulk whenever he wants

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/shirtsthtgohard/status/1643258621340295170

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i read the three body problem and decided it was dumb

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the aliens in that book might as well have come from Krankor

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I enjoyed the parts about the cultural revolution. much bigger fan of Mao now

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

yeah, I'm thinkin I'm back

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Al! posted:

i read the three body problem and decided it was dumb

It definitely does not deserve the level of praise it got that's for sure.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

the way that movie ended gave me chills lol

small rock smashing into a bigger wet rock to make life has that uhh cosmic sympathy to it

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I tried Somewhere in the Skies but the talker has a choice of word inflection that I can’t do. I just can’t deal with that. Even though the writing seems just fine.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I need a podcast rec.

Have finished all the Our Strange Skies episodes where it’s just the host talking. The guest/banter episodes are fine but I’m looking for just a single person doing a narrative. Are there any other bird pods that have a similar case file style and aren’t overly skeptical but not woo-y either? Looking for something I can listen to in the dark at night without driving myself insane.

UFO Rabbit Hole is pretty good. At least fairly well researched and narrated.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's good material but yeah the host does have an idiosyncratic performance style. I don't mind it but I can see how it would turn people off. Worth giving it a listen at least, you'll know right away if it's a deal breaker.

Beyond that, it really is a sea of people trying to do the Coast to Coast thing with people telling stories directly and frankly I don't see the appeal of that. Best case, you get someone like Terry Lovelace who's actually a decent storyteller but more often than not, you get a rambling disjointed mess.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/what-u-s-submariners-actually-say-about-detection-of-so-called-unidentified-submerged-objects

Aquatic UFOs:

quote:

"Marc, who runs a special effects company called FX Models that undertakes Naval contracts, said: “As a thank you for doing some work for them Navy asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in a submarine so I said yes.

“Once we got under I was sitting in the sonar station and the sonar operator was sitting right next to me.

“Submarines are loud – people think they are very quiet and it’s true they are on the outside because the sound doesn’t get out. But inside you hear fans, noise - it’s a constant din on a sub.

“I was sitting there zoning out a little because I was sea sick and all of a sudden the sonar kid shouts 'fast mover, fast mover' and I’m jolted awake – thinking ‘What’s happening? Is it a torpedo?’

“The executive officer comes out and the operator shows him the path of the object and the officer says 'How fast is that going?'

“And the kid said 'several hundred knots'. I start to lean forward to listen in – and the officer said ‘Can you confirm it?’

“So he goes to another sonar machine and confirmed it wasn’t a machine anomaly - it was real. I thought ‘Wow that is incredible’.

“When the sonar guy said ‘What do I do with this?’ the officer said ‘log it and dog it’ - in other words log it and bury it.”

Four years later Marc said he was doing some more contract work for the Navy when he spoke to a senior naval figure about what he saw.

“I asked him ‘Can you tell me about the Fast Mover Programme?'" Marc explained.

“He looked at me and said 'Sorry Marc I can’t talk about that programme'.

“So he basically confirmed to me that the programme exists - he said everything without seeing anything.

“What that told me was that USOs are common – we even have a programme in place to classify and log and determine the speed of them and it goes into a vault.”

Marc made the claims at the Devil’s Tower UFO Rendezvous in Hulett, Wyoming – where UFO enthusiasts from around America met at the site of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind rock to discuss alien-related findings.

quote:

I don’t know what they are... We usually logged it as seismic or biologic. We were instructed that nothing is ever ‘unknown.'’

That’s the thing, it’s so quick you can’t measure the speed. In the examples I am thinking of, it is a detection that lasts a few seconds on the towed array. There is no way to measure the speed accurately because there isn’t enough data...

quote:

Another contact we talked to with extensive experience aboard nuclear submarines noted that the mission is so heavily focused on military objectives that strange sounds picked up by sonar don't carry the weight that many may think they would unless they seem like some sort of a threat or impediment to the mission or training goals. This source also noted that they were not aware of any way to even log this type of thing for special review. In fact, they noted that the system seems uniquely designed for just the opposite.

Eric Moreno—another veteran submariner, @KingNeptune767 on Twitter, and keeper of the popular Subreddit r/submarines—also had some good information to share. Strange acoustic anomalies don't just pop up on U.S. Navy submarine sonars, but also sonars and hydrophones belonging to scientific institutions. Moreno mentioned the somewhat famous ' 52-hertz Whale' and pointed us to this video below as examples:

As a torpedoman by training, he also mentioned very high-speed super-cavitating torpedo technology that various militaries around the globe are becoming increasingly interested in. The Soviet Union actually put one of these weapons, the VA-111 Shkval, into service. At max speed, these weapons can hit over 200mph. But just because they exist doesn't mean they are fired at or near American fast attack submarines, and especially boats that are on training sorties with visitors onboard. Also, they are not some totally mysterious anomaly to seasoned sonar operators.

I even asked my sources if the strange contact D’Antonio’s supposedly experienced being detected could have been something above the surface of the water, such as a maritime patrol aircraft. They said the speed would make that more plausible, but it shouldn’t have been any sort of a mystery then. They also added they were aware of very high-speed targets on sonar that were never explained, but they have no idea where that information went, or where it didn't go for that matter.

The biggest takeaway here is that mysterious sounds do emanate from the deep and are heard by the most talented sonar operators in the world working the most advanced underwater listening equipment ever created. But the Navy seems to have made it all but impossible to classify these events for further review as sonar operators aren't allowed to 'not know' what something is.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

merfolk are very real

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

merfolk are very real

they better be or else ive developed this fetish for NOTHING

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mermaider is the best dethklok song therefore mermaids are real and helicopters are not

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://twitter.com/LeeRberger/status/1640669390868819970?s=20

Slightly old news but all the homo naledi stuff is fascinating and indications are they used fire, had burials, and possibly even some sort of symbolic writing

All to say sapiens may not be the chosen ones we think we are

Help me tathagatagarbha I'm like 40 some books behind as it is

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Moreno mentioned the somewhat famous ' 52-hertz Whale' and pointed us to this video below as examples

I looked this up out of curiosity and :smith:

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

here are two articles on the subject for the curious.

Quantum mechanics: how the future might influence the past

A Growing Number of Scientists Are Convinced the Future Influences the Past

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
we should have put all of our collective thought, energy, and money toward immortalizing Art Bell

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ben Nerevarine posted:

we should have put all of our collective thought, energy, and money toward immortalizing Art Bell

he was a better quality of crank than we've got these days for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He wasn't a crank at all, he was more of a crank curator

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dreaming of crank

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

He wasn't a crank at all, he was more of a crank curator

yeah, that's more accurate. i'm sort of glad he's gone now because i wouldn't have wanted to see him start chasing Alex Jones type poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
haha good message