Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I hate everything about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

lmao the slight chip out of the outlet cover is the chef's kiss on this

I have a small collection of the best "homeowner specials" I've found while repairing the house we moved into in 2020. I'll have to gather them up for this thread but my favorite so far has been using pocketed folders in place of drywall in the attic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ouch

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The local garbage service has a legal monopoly on dumpsters in my town. I called them once to ask how much one would be, and I forget what the pricetag was but it was way too drat high. I told the support rep on the phone that I'd figure something else out and they got really huffy and said "if you get a dumpster from somewhere else, we'll find out. It's illegal."

(joke's on you, hiring a contractor to do a dump run is still perfectly legal, less work for me, and cheaper than your greedy-rear end dumpsters, jesus gently caress)

I had a bunch of old laminate flooring and carpet to rip out and throw away, so I figured I would get a dumpster for a bit... My local garbage monopoly has different rates for a temporary vs long term rental. It was $900 USD per week (!!) for any size 10yd and up on temporary pricing. I actually called back 2 more times just to make sure they where right. I thought they where joking. Long term rental is considerably cheaper, but requires a 1 year commitment, and they only empty it every other week.

I ended up loading as much as I could into my car (yay for hatchbacks!) and took it to my parents dumpster. Took 5 trips, but it didn't cost me 900 loving dollars.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

you can't tell where tile is going to end up, sorry this just happens sometimes!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What happens when unstoppable tile meets an immovable outlet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Let's not sleep on the unfinished wiremold with pigtails just hanging out in the open.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

Let's not sleep on the unfinished wiremold with pigtails just hanging out in the open.
Not to mention it being a location with tile on both the floor and wall, which tends to imply an area that could get wet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's to wake you up in the case you fall asleep showering.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Dave posted:

It's to wake you up in the case you fall asleep showering.

"look, you said you wanted a heated bathroom floor. you didn't say HOW I should heat it."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
bunker house? bunker house!

https://garrettsrealty.com/listing/1594040-1266-willis-branch-rd-richmond-ky-40475/

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

FISHMANPET posted:

Why does that wire even daylight there? They brought it out of the wall only to run it over the tile in that channel.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jenkl posted:

Why does that wire even daylight there? They brought it out of the wall only to run it over the tile in that channel.

maybe a leftover hole from an old outlet at baseboard level? idk, I assume it's half-finished one way or the other and everything else about the picture makes me shudder to imagine it completed

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The low wire is for electric baseboard heater

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm the suicide basement

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm the suicide basement

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

bunker house? bunker house!

smack dab in the middle of Kentucky. Who are you even hiding from.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MRC48B posted:

Diversity.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MRC48B posted:

Who's gonna nuke Kentucky?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Who's gonna nuke Kentucky?

THE WOKE GAYS

I lived in a house with a bomb door in the basement. To a 7-year-old kid, it was cool.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

quote:

The highlight of the property is a $3 Million, 2,000 sq. ft. Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Fallout Shelter and a separate Mother-In-law suite. The property also features 2 Natural gas wells which provides a huge savings on your utilities. There are 4 living areas, including the main level, 2nd floor, full basement and fallout shelter level. There are 21,000 gallon underground propane tanks, an 8,000 gallon pressurized water tank, water well with reverse osmoses, 3 generators, Geothermal heat and air, foam insulated walls with waterproofing, and Decra roof. The Shelter is 26' underground with 39" solid concrete ceiling and 15" walls with wings. This is reported to be the most secure home on the market in this country. It is built to withstand a Seismic 12 earthquake, has 3 air filtrations from Switzerland, and 2 escape tunnels, one is approximately 100 yards long.

Built in 2014. There has to be a heck of a fall from grace story here. Why would you build this monster and then move away?

EDIT: Whoops! I guess it wasn't the most secure home.

https://www.richmondregister.com/ne...e8b02f0dfe.html

https://www.wtvq.com/update-suspect-in-custody-for-shooting-of-jordan-morgan/

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 6, 2023

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The demoncrats didnt declare martial law on the real Americans, so it turns out they did have to pay back those loans.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darth Brooks posted:

Built in 2014. There has to be a heck of a fall from grace story here. Why would you build this monster and then move away?

"The highlight of the property is a $3 Million, 2,000 sq. ft. Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Fallout Shelter and a separate Mother-In-law suite."
Is a great line.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Darth Brooks posted:

The highlight of the property is a $3 Million, 2,000 sq. ft. Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Fallout Shelter and a separate Mother-In-law suite.

Is the mother-in-law suite inside or outside the nuclear bunker? Asking for a spouse.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darth Brooks posted:

It's THAT HOUSE? I had heard that story before.
https://www.fox19.com/2023/02/23/cold-blooded-murder-northern-kentucky-public-official-she-was-unique/

Insane dude is convinced the Russia/Ukraine war is going nuclear and shoots his way into the family's home so he can capture the doomsday bunker for himself and ride it out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MRC48B posted:

Senators

e: drat I was closer than I knew.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rule #1 of having an apocalypse bunker is don't let anyone know you have an apocalypse bunker.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A "seismic 12 earthquake," you say

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

The word for a 14k sqft, 9bd/10ba, on 200 acres, with FBI standoff doors is "compound"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Rule #1 of having an apocalypse bunker is don't let anyone know you have an apocalypse bunker.

Sounds like a rule only an apocalypse bunker owner would know :thunk:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Seriously. There was even a Twilight Zone episode about that.

"Huh, bombs are incoming. I don't seem so crazy now, do I? Sucks to suck, I guess. Good luck"
*Whole neighborhood* "Please let me or at least my kids in. We won't take up much room"
"You going to not eat, drink, or breathe either?"
*Guy's best friends making a battering ram and beating the door in as they get news it was a false alarm*

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

Seriously. There was even a Twilight Zone episode about that.

"Huh, bombs are incoming. I don't seem so crazy now, do I? Sucks to suck, I guess. Good luck"
*Whole neighborhood* "Please let me or at least my kids in. We won't take up much room"
"You going to not eat, drink, or breathe either?"
*Guy's best friends making a battering ram and beating the door in as they get news it was a false alarm*

I seem to recall reading an article or something about a family that staged a doomsday scenario to get the prepper dad to go into the shelter, where they'd set up a birthday celebration. But said dad drew a pistol and ordered everyone out of the bunker before he saw the birthday stuff.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall reading an article or something about a family that staged a doomsday scenario to get the prepper dad to go into the shelter, where they'd set up a birthday celebration. But said dad drew a pistol and ordered everyone out of the bunker before he saw the birthday stuff.

It happens every so often when family drastically overestimate the level of self awareness attained by prepper relatives. Turns out when someone is genuinely worried about the apocalypse, making them think the world is ending is not a wise practical joke

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

It's THAT HOUSE? I had heard that story before.
https://www.fox19.com/2023/02/23/cold-blooded-murder-northern-kentucky-public-official-she-was-unique/

Insane dude is convinced the Russia/Ukraine war is going nuclear and shoots his way into the family's home so he can capture the doomsday bunker for himself and ride it out.

wow

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I encountered something today that I didn't know existed, a bifold screen door

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That looks inconvenient and annoying.

Guarantee I would eventually try to just plow through it like swinging bar doors.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Final Blog Entry posted:

I encountered something today that I didn't know existed, a bifold screen door

Somebody bought the cheapest inswing exterior door at home Depot and installed it backwards. Then tried to engineer a screen solution for it. You can break into this house by pulling pins from the hinges, by the way.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nitrox posted:

Somebody bought the cheapest inswing exterior door at home Depot and installed it backwards. Then tried to engineer a screen solution for it. You can break into this house by pulling pins from the hinges, by the way.

You could just install a regular storm door that swings into the room if that were the case. There is no reason it would need to be a bifold. Hinges without removable pins for outswing doors are not hard to find.

The bifold is weird but you're reaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cat Hatter posted:

You could just install a regular storm door that swings into the room if that were the case. There is no reason it would need to be a bifold. Hinges without removable pins for outswing doors are not hard to find.

The bifold is weird but you're reaching.

I think the reference to,pins was for the hinges on the outer door? Cause yeah, if you want to bust through the inner screen door you could just tear the screen.