Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cptn_dr posted:

It's such a naked cash grab.

This is the same publisher that charged novel price for the Murderbot novellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just read the mysterious study of dr sex and man what a delightful little story. I love how crisp and precise the characterisation of the houses is, always exaggerated but never caricatured.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sebmojo posted:

I just read the mysterious study of dr sex and man what a delightful little story. I love how crisp and precise the characterisation of the houses is, always exaggerated but never caricatured.

doctor sex: doctor sex

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

doctor sex: doctor sex

I'm imagining a "space" version of Doctor Detroit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Everyone posted:

I'm imagining a "space" version of Doctor Detroit

It’s an old meme.

https://twitter.com/reactjpg/status/1363726409412190213?s=20

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"
OK so I am re-reading HtN and towards the end of Ch14, Harrow is talking to Jod about how she was created and he says "they [Harrow's parents] did something nigh-on impossible. I know, because I have committed the same act, and I know the price I had to pay. Thalergetic modification of an embryo is difficult enough, but to achieve the same thing with thanergy..." I'm wondering if we know specifically what he's referring to? Best I can think of is with the people he resurrected and gave some of necromantic power? I'm also curious he references being thanergy being more difficult... is the implication that he harneses thalergy via Alecto...? It would make a certain sense - having a planet worth of life as your other half would seem to readily supply far more thanergy than you consume in the usual lyctoral process, but does this mean he's working with a side of magic that [other, regular] lyctors are wholly tuned out of? Like what Harrow/Gideon have sort of botched into might come close, but would both explain the miracles of Jod (even beyond a "mere" lyctor) as well as what may be to come in AtN.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the House population needed minor generic modification in order to survive in the pile of cramped deep space habitats under the glare of a deadly death sun that make up Dominicus. He also needed them to have necromantic power and not wither as embryos.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zierham posted:

OK so I am re-reading HtN and towards the end of Ch14, Harrow is talking to Jod about how she was created and he says "they [Harrow's parents] did something nigh-on impossible. I know, because I have committed the same act, and I know the price I had to pay. Thalergetic modification of an embryo is difficult enough, but to achieve the same thing with thanergy..." I'm wondering if we know specifically what he's referring to? Best I can think of is with the people he resurrected and gave some of necromantic power? I'm also curious he references being thanergy being more difficult... is the implication that he harneses thalergy via Alecto...? It would make a certain sense - having a planet worth of life as your other half would seem to readily supply far more thanergy than you consume in the usual lyctoral process, but does this mean he's working with a side of magic that [other, regular] lyctors are wholly tuned out of? Like what Harrow/Gideon have sort of botched into might come close, but would both explain the miracles of Jod (even beyond a "mere" lyctor) as well as what may be to come in AtN.

M_Gargantua posted:

I think the House population needed minor generic modification in order to survive in the pile of cramped deep space habitats under the glare of a deadly death sun that make up Dominicus. He also needed them to have necromantic power and not wither as embryos.

Except that most people don't have necromantic power as I understood it. I always thought Jod was comparing it to Resurrection when talking about that.

Honestly the vibe I got from Jod during that scene was that he was having to force himself not to say something like "Oh my me, that is soooo coool!" Jod seemed to be pretty much astonished, not simply that Harrow's parents had committed such a horrific crime, but that the whole thing had actually worked as intended instead of resulting in a bunch of dead children and the Ninth House planet getting blown in half by all that thanergy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I still think The Body had to come from somewhere, I'm guessing he turned an infant or fetus into an avatar.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Some fanartists just have giant brains, this is such a fun concept

https://twitter.com/Sirens_outro/status/1639334873574809600

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hargrimm posted:

Some fanartists just have giant brains, this is such a fun concept

https://twitter.com/Sirens_outro/status/1639334873574809600

strong destiny 2 energy

here we see Warlock Harrow after she has turned Jod into a gun

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You can't do a beach day because she just starts to eat the sand and seawater and almost drown.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i cannot get over this one

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

redleader posted:

Jesus.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

redleader posted:

I guess I'd never properly pictured Gideon wearing her sunglasses but drat if that doesn't look badass as all gently caress.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How have you never seen the cover to Gideon the Ninth?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pseudorandom name posted:

How have you never seen the cover to Gideon the Ninth?

I've seen it but just never really looked that closely at it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It took me a while to realize they were aviators and not just black skull eyes, too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sebmojo posted:

It took me a while to realize they were aviators and not just black skull eyes, too

They’re the Dave Strider glasses, which were the ones Ben Stiller wore in Starsky and Hutch.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
With all the Barbie movie meme posting now would be a hell of a time to reveal the Alecto cover

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Landfill posted:

With all the Barbie movie meme posting now would be a hell of a time to reveal the Alecto cover

Movie version: Margot Robbie as Barbie as Alecto.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Margo Robbie as Alecto works great.

I still can't think of a better Gideon than Karen Gillan but thats probably most of the red hair.

The problem with casting Harrow is you need someone who can change their affect between Harrow, Gideon, and Nona.

Casting Pyrrha is the second most difficult, since you need a dude who looks like the Rock acting like Mélanie Laurent

But Mélanie Laurent as Mercy and Daniel Brühl gets to be Augustine

Erin Moriarty as Corona, Brie Larson (because of short term 12 not any disney stuff) as Ianthe. But Rosie Huntington-Whiteley would also be a fair choice.

Taika Waititi is of course Jod.

Penelope Wilton as Aiglamene, Brendan Coyle as Crux.

Isla Fisher as Pash, Deborah Ann Woll as her aunt and Gideon's mum Commander Wake.

So what are we up to like $450M in casting budget alone? Lets not do that and just hire a bunch of British actors who work for reasonable rates.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

M_Gargantua posted:

So what are we up to like $450M in casting budget alone? Lets not do that and just hire a bunch of British actors who work for reasonable rates.

Or, and hear me out here, they could cast Māori people as Māori characters.

(I know it's hypothetical, but there's few enough opportunities for Māori people who aren't Taika or Cliff Curtis at the best of times).

Actually, Rachel House would make a fuckin great We Suffer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cptn_dr posted:

Or, and hear me out here, they could cast Māori people as Māori characters.

(I know it's hypothetical, but there's few enough opportunities for Māori people who aren't Taika or Cliff Curtis at the best of times).

Actually, Rachel House would make a fuckin great We Suffer.

Why not suggest some? Rachel house is a great start.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sorry, I shouldn't get snappy, I'm just still haunted by Ender's Game (which was always going to be bad, to be fair) casting Ben Kingsley as a Māori man because gently caress it, he's brown that's fine.

I guess the difficult thing about it is that you'd want actual teenagers, or at least people in their early 20s, to play Gideon and Harrow. Fifteen years ago I'd have said Keisha Castle-Hughes could probably have played Harrow, but she's a bit old for it now. If Erana James cut her hair short and bulked up a bit, I reckon she could make a solid Gideon, but only because Ruby Tui is a rugby player and not an actor so probably isn't up for the role.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 8, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

TBH, Erana James would also be incredibly good for Harrow, which wouldn't involve her getting shredded which is probably healthier.
Editing so I don't triple-post:

Give Jay Kiriona another 5 years and he could be Pyrrha.

Thomasin McKenzie would make a good Dulcinea, though I suppose strictly speaking not everyone needs to be played by a kiwi.

Ilaisaane Green has been Judith in my head ever since I saw her in Brutal Lives where she plays a boxer.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 8, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sorry, I didn't mean to kill the thread with my random aggro.

As penance, please take this fine piece of fanart I saw on Tumblr.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tarot deck but every card is a nine

(Yes, yes, there's other houses)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nona is The World
Gideon is The Fool

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Spotted some pretty awesome cosplay at Sakura Con over the weekend :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/cassylvan/status/1644747304283549697?s=20

https://twitter.com/heykrashly/status/1645119140653563906?s=20

https://twitter.com/ibyxii/status/1645600171701727232?s=20

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Locked Tomb cosplay you say?

https://twitter.com/ClaireMax/status/1640997421017878528?t=4aopWa3_m0qxhhefPVKNkQ&s=19

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wow those are the best I've seen

mewse
May 2, 2006

That’s amazing

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So hold on, are all (most?) of the houses meant to be descended/created from Maori people? I kinda got that it was heavily implied that Jod was Maori, and that a lot of the Houses were patched together from his resurrected-and-mindwiped lab-mates, who were generally folk from Aotearoa New Zealand, but I kinda missed that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Nah, they're not ALL Māori, but Gideon and Harrow pretty clearly are, and so is OG Gideon.
Extra-canon notes (so not really text and you can ignore them if you like) are explicit about various ethnicity and culture for the Necros and Cavs from book one, but you can ignore that if you want.

I am personally pretty fond of the idea that John only resurrected New Zealanders and so the entire Dominicus system has the same ethnic/cultural makeup as Aotearoa in ~2035, but there's not that much textual evidence for it (outside of Taz saying stuff like "I write Kiwis in Space".

But it does mean that the wider cast should have lots more Pasifika characters, and Māori, and a lot of Asian characters alongside the Pākehā that you'd expect. I mostly just think the impulse to head-cast the majority of the cast as white is understandable but should be avoided, even though most actors people know ARE white because Hollywood is still racist as hell. But 100% Silas is the whitest motherfucker anyone has ever seen, and that's a hill I'll die on. Naberius too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So hold on, are all (most?) of the houses meant to be descended/created from Maori people? I kinda got that it was heavily implied that Jod was Maori, and that a lot of the Houses were patched together from his resurrected-and-mindwiped lab-mates, who were generally folk from Aotearoa New Zealand, but I kinda missed that.

No, the houses aren’t specifically Māori. They’re a mix of everything representing the country at least going by the character descriptions as of GtN. Gotta love the Third twins being the whitest motherfuckers in space outside of Silas.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 11, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Māori and Asian (e.g Chinese/Japanese/vietnamese) are both ~17% of nz roughly

Commander wake as described looks very Māori and John explicitly is iirc, so Gideon definitely would be.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

sebmojo posted:

Māori and Asian (e.g Chinese/Japanese/vietnamese) are both ~17% of nz roughly

Commander wake as described looks very Māori and John explicitly is iirc, so Gideon definitely would be.

Is Wake from one of the Houses or is she descended from one of the Elon Musk-types that escaped John's tantrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's unclear, I think the latter though.