Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

My easter project arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Messer progress: 1 leg. You can see to the left of the light glare on the dark brown part something I complained about in the scale model thread--for some reason Odenkan paints LOVE to develop bubbles in the paint where Mr. Hobby doesn't. It's vexing me. I'll touch it up later, I think. Or maybe try and mask it with weathering. I don't know, haven't decided yet. Also, the baffle that attaches to the back of the leg is a pain in the rear end after painting. It was already a tight fit to start. I need to tack it down with glue.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Junkozeyne posted:

You can't escape the domestic VAT. Giving you 20% off would hurt the vendor since you don't pay it to them, you pay it to your goverment. And yes VAT is calculated by the total cost.

What you don't pay is the Japanese consumption tax, which is currently 10%.

Yeah, I agree with all that and wasn't trying to dodge taxes, but it was a tiny bit more confusing initially. The price final price to the customer is ((exc.tax cost of goods + shipping) + (VAT at 20%)) + ((import duty at 20% for model kits) + (admin fees of about £5-10)). I am extremely stupid and was initially confusing Import Duty and domestic VAT instead of treating them as separate things.

In HLJs case, they don't explicitly say "inc VAT" anywhere obvious. That left uncertainty for my first order - when the shipment arrives, am I going to have to pay (VAT + Import Duty + Fees), or just the (Duty/Fees)? Turns out that they have a UK subsiduary acting as a payment processor anyway, and seem to be collecting the VAT in full in all cases. Good on them, nice and easy to use.

The reason for my confusion comes from elsewhere. The way a new law the UK implemented on Jan 1 2021 is worded means that domestic VAT on orders under £135 is to be collected by the seller and paid to the UK tax authority*. On orders over £135, the VAT is not necessarily collected by the seller. So - do you pay the tax at the checkout, or to the customs officers alongside import duty? This applies to all foreign sellers sending stuff to UK customers, not just ones in the EU, though it was written in response to Brexit. I suspect the situation with imports from Japan, HLJ, and most big reputable marketplaces actually did not change at all, as they were already collecting VAT correctly.

The £135 value also happens to be a cut-off point below which imports are generally duty free and admin fees are waived. This is kind of sensible, but made it harder to get a clear picture if you've never thought about imports before, as import duty is a form of VAT and therefore people interchange the terms a lot.

For HLJ to the UK, it boils down to:
  • <£135 shipped - you're golden, no further fees apply
  • >£135 shipped - be prepared to pay Import Duty
(though as I mentioned previously their prices in GBP are based on a slightly conservative conversion rate - understandable given how much such things fluctuate - so at the moment you end up paying a bit less than 20% when the customs officers calculate what is owed from the yen values given on the shipping manifest)

I imagine, in practice, this is the case for many large stores.

But that's not necessarily the case under the law, hence my confusion. The wording can mislead. See for example https://hobbyfrontline.com/important-notice-regarding-brexit/ which says UK customers are liable for *VAT* on orders over £135. I haven't actually used them, but in their cart they do now include UK VAT at the correct rate for deliveries to the UK, and so I suspect like HLJ only the import duties would apply, but the wording can be misinterpretted. Even Amazon has had poorly worded notices about this, which conflate general consumption VAT and Import Duty VAT.

Writing it out like this has helped me understand it a lot more. Like I say, I'm stupid.

- - - -
* Not wanting to have to be too involved with a foreign tax agency is why some smaller shops stopped dealing with UK customers for small value orders.

-

Anyway, robots are cool and I'm going to go build some.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Getting anything worthwhile on this stupid island is just gonna take more and more bullshit.

Going to aim to finish the test-build of my AUEG Mk II this week so I can spend the long weekend painting. Going to try and improve my pre-shading/highlighting and try the dappling technique I saw on Reddit. Also swore to myself I would apply EVERY waterslide, no excuses. Gonna be a good time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nearly 10 years after Madjack hooked me up with a good deal on the mg f91, I finally finished assembling it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Nearly 10 years after Madjack hooked me up with a good deal on the mg f91, I finally finished assembling it.

:cheerdoge:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Same day went from zero to done on tallgeese mg haha

(No final pic cuz the power went out an hour ago)

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ok got the HG Jegan to a point where im happy with it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hell yeah nice work. UC has some great grunt suits.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Very clean build, like it a lot.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

wow looks great! nice work on the scribing, i had thought to do the same so i could display it with my rg nu but never got around to it

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I have more affinity with the grunts and bad guy suits than the actual gunhams. I hope that latest gruny model in Witch gets a solid model.

Have they made any rg grunts in recent years?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The last RG Grunt was a Johnny Ridden custom High Mobility Zaku.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Oh cool I'll go look it up!

Fake edit: oh, oh.... thats... weird. I have a hard time putting my finger on it but I kinda don't like this design. I really liked the rg zgok and this seems to have been designed later but yeah. Oh well, still looking forward to the witch line.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

I have more affinity with the grunts and bad guy suits than the actual gunhams. I hope that latest gruny model in Witch gets a solid model.

Have they made any rg grunts in recent years?

I think in like the OG 1979 Gundam show the creators/designers had a lot more leeway for the Zeon suits whereas for the Gundam they may have had to take more guidance from the toy manufacturer partner

Also I feel bad for all the grunt suits just getting mercilessly ripped apart by the dozens by the Hero suit but that's kinda the Point of the Gundam Series Maybe

Burns
May 10, 2008

The left arm joints on the Jegan are really tight and hard to manipulate due to having painted them. Whats a recommended product to lubricate those joints? I heard silicone lubricant might be it?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Burns posted:

Ok got the HG Jegan to a point where im happy with it.

thought this was the MG at first so good job!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/BandaiHobbyUS/status/1644084068881952768?t=rinmu6o9i03Xp4UzepyYtQ&s=19

Hell yeah let's go pro

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I built my first real Gunpla.

I just ordered an HG Aerial and Turn A Gundam as well. It was pretty cool!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I built my first real Gunpla.

I just ordered an HG Aerial and Turn A Gundam as well. It was pretty cool!

One of us, one of us.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mindblast posted:

Fake edit: oh, oh.... thats... weird. I have a hard time putting my finger on it but I kinda don't like this design. I really liked the rg zgok and this seems to have been designed later but yeah. Oh well, still looking forward to the witch line.

The High Mobility Zaku was designed after the Z'Gok, but like, very shortly afterwards. The Z'Gok was in the original series and the High Mobility Zaku debuted in Mobile Suit Variations, which started I think only a couple years after the original series as a way to have more Mobile Suits they could make kits for before Zeta Gundam came out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a zaku with bell bottoms.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nothin' wrong with Disco Zaku

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Oh, I meant to ask is it the design or the color putting you off? Because personally I don't like the JR red and black and gold. They all look too saturated for me, kinda like someone put in hex codes for #FF0000 and #000000 and called it a day. Of course the R-2 variant is the one that got the RG. There's an HG R-1 variant out there which shares the backpack and general design, but goes for a different leg thruster configuration. Look up MS-06R-1 or "Shin Matsunaga." That'll give you an idea of the silhouette with a different color scheme at least.

But unfortunately for you, the only "grunt" suits in the RG line are the MS-06S (Char's Zaku II Commander type), MS-06F (Mass-production Zaku II), MSM-07S (Char's Z'gok), and the MS-06R-2 (Johnny Ridden's Zaku II High Mobility Type). Char's suits are all just red versions of other mass-production grunt suits--even the MS-06S which was basically just a Zaku II with slightly higher specs and communication equipment intended for leadership use. On paper the Z'gok is also a commander type, but visually they're loving identical. Guess the designers ran out of budget on that one. Only Johnny's is actually 'limited run' as far as the canon is concerned, since only a couple of the R-2 block were actually built and all of them were assigned to ace pilots.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Oh, I meant to ask is it the design or the color putting you off? Because personally I don't like the JR red and black and gold. They all look too saturated for me, kinda like someone put in hex codes for #FF0000 and #000000 and called it a day. Of course the R-2 variant is the one that got the RG. There's an HG R-1 variant out there which shares the backpack and general design, but goes for a different leg thruster configuration. Look up MS-06R-1 or "Shin Matsunaga." That'll give you an idea of the silhouette with a different color scheme at least.

But unfortunately for you, the only "grunt" suits in the RG line are the MS-06S (Char's Zaku II Commander type), MS-06F (Mass-production Zaku II), MSM-07S (Char's Z'gok), and the MS-06R-2 (Johnny Ridden's Zaku II High Mobility Type). Char's suits are all just red versions of other mass-production grunt suits--even the MS-06S which was basically just a Zaku II with slightly higher specs and communication equipment intended for leadership use. On paper the Z'gok is also a commander type, but visually they're loving identical. Guess the designers ran out of budget on that one. Only Johnny's is actually 'limited run' as far as the canon is concerned, since only a couple of the R-2 block were actually built and all of them were assigned to ace pilots.

I don't have that much experience with RG quality. I've seen some RG gundam video's and built an RG unit 01 and RG Z'gok. I've seen a few video's now on this RG zaku and it just has a different feel to it. Maybe the video quality was just bad but the model kinda looked like an older HG than something that is supposed to be "master grade, but smaller". It could also just be a taste thing! Eye of the beholder and all that stuff.

But yeah I'd love more Grunt units north of HG. For now I'll just see if I can get my hands on that Heavy Zowort.

I'm also seeing more info pop up on those two gundams that appear to be mass production models. The ones with the muted colors. I especially dig the one with the blunt robo sword mace. That head model is cool. Its like an evil gundam clone or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mindblast posted:

I don't have that much experience with RG quality. I've seen some RG gundam video's and built an RG unit 01 and RG Z'gok. I've seen a few video's now on this RG zaku and it just has a different feel to it. Maybe the video quality was just bad but the model kinda looked like an older HG than something that is supposed to be "master grade, but smaller". It could also just be a taste thing! Eye of the beholder and all that stuff.

But yeah I'd love more Grunt units north of HG. For now I'll just see if I can get my hands on that Heavy Zowort.

I'm also seeing more info pop up on those two gundams that appear to be mass production models. The ones with the muted colors. I especially dig the one with the blunt robo sword mace. That head model is cool. Its like an evil gundam clone or something.

There's a lot of MG grunts, if you're willing to build a little bigger. Most of them are older, but the Ball Ver Ka, Zaku II 2.0, Gelgoog 2.0, GM 2.0, Guntank, GN-X, Victory, Rezel, Marasai, Jegan, Geara Doga, GM Sniper 2, GM Sniper Custom, GM Command, GINN and Jegan are all well above HG standards.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

30 Minute Mission/Sister kits are not, in fact, 30 minute builds.

Or maybe I'm just being too careful and attentive. I took some time from my lunch today to start assembling the base 30 Minute Sister I'm using to build a cyberpunk-style cyborg. I had a flash of inspiration a few weeks back that kitbashing this kit with a Barbatos Lupus Rex could make an extremely sick looking character. I'm counting on getting some wonky proportions out of it to sell the 'unnatural' appearance.

I'm adding some scribing tools to my next order from Newtype since the design is screaming for panel lines. Also probably need some miliput/green stuff to do a few of the modifications I have in mind.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

My last 30MM kit took me 2 hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

30 Minute Mission/Sister kits are not, in fact, 30 minute builds.

Or maybe I'm just being too careful and attentive. I took some time from my lunch today to start assembling the base 30 Minute Sister I'm using to build a cyberpunk-style cyborg. I had a flash of inspiration a few weeks back that kitbashing this kit with a Barbatos Lupus Rex could make an extremely sick looking character. I'm counting on getting some wonky proportions out of it to sell the 'unnatural' appearance.

I'm adding some scribing tools to my next order from Newtype since the design is screaming for panel lines. Also probably need some miliput/green stuff to do a few of the modifications I have in mind.

:sickos:

I don't think I've built a 30MM kit yet without at least three accessory packs worth of bits getting added to it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

How freeform are 30MMs anyways? Like could I mix the legs of one with the arms of another? I'm currently working on my painting practice Rezel and I'm planning on getting a bunch of 30MM once I get a handle on that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
30mm is extremely interchangeable. Everything connects via peg and hole connections.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's pretty much half the point of the line.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

BisbyWorl posted:

How freeform are 30MMs anyways? Like could I mix the legs of one with the arms of another? I'm currently working on my painting practice Rezel and I'm planning on getting a bunch of 30MM once I get a handle on that.

Yes.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Mindblast posted:

The Zaku II was the second RG they put out, so it definitely doesn't match with the quality of more current stuff for sure.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finished building Bandai's R4-M9 kit:

Made a few mistakes - the middle leg is jammed somehow and will not extend, and a couple vents needed stickers behind them - and I don't want to break the pieces trying to fix things, so that's done.

Now to decide if I want to endure sticker hell on all these green panels, or just paint the whole thing...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Painting, imo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Painting, imo

Yeah, masking I can try a few times to get right instead of this

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think I've built a 30MM kit yet without at least three accessory packs worth of bits getting added to it.

The whole reason I bought it was for a kitbash. I've got a Barbatos Lupus Rex, x3 30MM/MS specific accessory kits, and a Gunpla builders parts that I'm drawing from for this thing. :science:

This is gonna be less a 30 Minute Sister and more a 30 Hour Monster. Working title.

Arc Hammer posted:

Painting, imo

This is always the answer unless you physically can't. Foil stickers suck rear end to work with.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME

FIVE TIME