Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PalaNIN posted:

In Australia we call whippets nangs, because that's the sound you hear after you take one.

nanganangananganangananganang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3yEjD_oijw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
protip: if you are going to run a cryptocurrency scam, pay your taxes before buying ten million dollars of yachts

DOJ posted:

ELMAANI filed a false 2017 tax return stating that he had only approximately $15,000 of income from a “patent design” business, and he filed no return and reported no income to the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) in 2018. Nevertheless, ELMAANI spent, in 2018, over $10 million for the purchase of multiple yachts, $1.6 million at a carbon-fiber composite company, hundreds of thousands of dollars at a home improvement store, and over $700,000 for the purchase of two homes, one of which was titled in the name of a shell company and the other in the name of two of his associates. The tax loss to the United States from ELMAANI’s conduct was approximately $5,523,794.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

New Yorker moves to Texas, buys some cowboy boots, and takes the religious locals for all they’re worth.

The Texas Preacher’s $24 Million Ponzi Scheme
https://archive.ph/D6q27

What's the exit strategy for these high profile ponzi-schemes? Bag holding scams I get, whoever made money is long out of the game like in crypto, but what's the game plan for these guys that have a big, public, well know persona attached to the clusterfuck?

Like, he stole 24 million bucks and... never spent it on anything outrageous (that I could gather from that one article, anyways)? Is the dude banking on not pulling a Madoff and make it out of prison alive, if very very old, to then do what exactly?

Or is it just that they never plan on getting caught, even though it seems like they absolutely always get caught?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is it a case of us just knowing the ones that got caught?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bubblyblubber posted:

What's the exit strategy for these high profile ponzi-schemes? Bag holding scams I get, whoever made money is long out of the game like in crypto, but what's the game plan for these guys that have a big, public, well know persona attached to the clusterfuck?

Like, he stole 24 million bucks and... never spent it on anything outrageous (that I could gather from that one article, anyways)? Is the dude banking on not pulling a Madoff and make it out of prison alive, if very very old, to then do what exactly?

Or is it just that they never plan on getting caught, even though it seems like they absolutely always get caught?

They don't get to keep the money when they get caught, so the plan is basically to die first.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I honestly came away from that video kind of hating them both. I got real fed up with the host going "well you really should take that job at Whataburger," since the core of that response is "Bootstraps." There was probably more after that, but I'm really sick of Dave Ramsay-type bullshit.

The comments section too. Jesus what a bunch of smarmy fucks.

Dude keeps bringing up past accomplishments like starting his own ad agency and doing coding and stuff. Why can’t he just… do that again? Failing at a waterburger job isn’t the solution. Lol at bragging about your Texas tech communications degree.

But for real why are all these comments sucking the dick of this annoying interviewer? He’s not good.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
When you start a Ponzi scheme you put a fall guy at the top and keep all the money yourself.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Switchback posted:

Lol at bragging about your Texas tech communications degree.

I love that The Simpsons specifically bagged on Texas Tech in the episode where Homer became the sanitation commissioner for the city.

https://youtu.be/fpS7-PmsuDs?t=53s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpS7-PmsuDs&t=53s

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bubblyblubber posted:

It is especially weird when they have an established life and identity that's not easy to disappear from. I assume they started with some dollar target, at which point they planned to disappear to a tropical country. But then social entanglements came up, maybe they start a family, and the dollar amount and target date keep getting pushed back until the FBI shows up at their door when they're well past normal retirement age.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bubblyblubber posted:

Probably. His multiple bullshit stories had a common theme — he would someday Strike It Rich, and then paying back his investors would be chump change, and he could walk away with a lot of cash and things would be fine.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
A lot of Ponzi schemes start as more-or-less legitimate investments. If you just want to steal your clients’ money, why pay any of it back at all? But, y’know, the investment strategy isn’t paying off yet, and some of your investors need to withdraw, and you want to be obliging, but you also aren’t ready to completely give up, and you don’t want all your investors to bail, and it’s real easy to just lie about how things are going.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Phanatic posted:

In the short-term that’s correct(you have receptors that measure blood pH, more CO2 = lower pH = faster respiration rate) but in the longer term if you’re O2-deprived your body switches mechanisms and starts measuring O2 levels in the blood to determine whether you need more. People with COPD, for instance, feel short of breath even if they have normal CO2 levels, and if you go up to a mountain and start getting altitude sickness, same thing.

This is why you don’t go into enclosed spaces without checking first; if there’s no O2 in there the first clue you might have is when you pass out and start to die.

See also: The Case Of The Rusty Assassin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rjmccall posted:

A lot of Ponzi schemes start as more-or-less legitimate investments. If you just want to steal your clients’ money, why pay any of it back at all? But, y’know, the investment strategy isn’t paying off yet, and some of your investors need to withdraw, and you want to be obliging, but you also aren’t ready to completely give up, and you don’t want all your investors to bail, and it’s real easy to just lie about how things are going.

I'm pretty sure this is basically Star Citizen.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Star Citizen is absolutely a Ponzi, payed out in snippets of underwhelming gameplay instead of money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doesn't a Ponzi require that the victims believe there will be a financial payout?

It's just a terrible product that is never going to meet anyone's expectations. If there's a scam in there it's just run of the mill white collar crime bullshit, like maybe in a few years we find out that the project managers have been paying themselves ludicrous amounts of money or there's just some straight up good 'ol fashioned embezzlement.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cyrano4747 posted:

or there's just some straight up good 'ol fashioned embezzlement.

I vote it’s this.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

rjmccall posted:

The original Ponzi scheme was at first just a weird arbitrage opportunity, but then Charles Ponzi just kept taking new investors' money anyway even though he couldn't actually get the money back out. Once the money was coming in so fast, though, he didn't even have to try.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^ everything they said, with the additional detail that the arbitrage opportunity was actually pretty lucrative. there was just a relatively low limit to how many postage stamps could be bought, moved across the ocean, and resold

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It is especially weird when they have an established life and identity that's not easy to disappear from. I assume they started with some dollar target, at which point they planned to disappear to a tropical country. But then social entanglements came up, maybe they start a family, and the dollar amount and target date keep getting pushed back until the FBI shows up at their door when they're well past normal retirement age.

It’s all over once Marian sings “Till There Was You.”

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Potato Salad posted:

^ everything they said, with the additional detail that the arbitrage opportunity was actually pretty lucrative. there was just a relatively low limit to how many postage stamps could be bought, moved across the ocean, and resold
Quite the understatement.

Wikipedia posted:

For the initial 18 investors of January 1920, for their $1,800 investment, it would have taken 53,000 postal coupons to actually realize the arbitrage profits. For the subsequent 15,000 investors that Ponzi had, he would have had to fill Titanic-sized ships with postal coupons just to ship them to the U.S. from Europe.

...only about 27,000 [postal coupons] actually were in circulation.
It's crazy that he spent his entire life grifting and had been caught numerous times, yet was still able to almost get away with it; and even crazier that he didn't get out when the government started closing in on him.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Switchback posted:

Dude keeps bringing up past accomplishments like starting his own ad agency and doing coding and stuff. Why can’t he just… do that again? Failing at a waterburger job isn’t the solution. Lol at bragging about your Texas tech communications degree.

But for real why are all these comments sucking the dick of this annoying interviewer? He’s not good.

Like, I sort of get it...

Truthfully, as a 41 year old who has built a career that allows me to make nearly six figures at this point, it would be REALLY hard to lose my job and be to the point where I'm applying for fast food.

But there's multiple rungs to fall before you hit that point. I'd probably start with stuff close to what I'm doing now, then slide down to stuff a level or two below, then head for office temp agencies and call centers, before going to retail/fast food. Maybe do some Door dash or Instacart to bridge the gap for a bit. And my degree is basically the equivalent of his.

Then again, I also avoid threatening public figures on Twitter.

And the interviewer is just a prick. Which might be OK if he was entertaining or insightful, but he's not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Doesn't a Ponzi require that the victims believe there will be a financial payout?

It's just a terrible product that is never going to meet anyone's expectations. If there's a scam in there it's just run of the mill white collar crime bullshit, like maybe in a few years we find out that the project managers have been paying themselves ludicrous amounts of money or there's just some straight up good 'ol fashioned embezzlement.

Like one, I may mean more. I'm still pretty sure Chris Roberts genuinely believed at least at one point he's going to make the ultimate game, just having massively unrealistic expectations and wildly overestimating his own skill at development and management, that familiar old story.

And the latter is almost certainly happening. It's like how those goddamn metaverse projects keep making insane amounts of money disappear- the only people buying in are credulous idiots who don't know what a good product is supposed to look like anyway, so you might as well grab as much as you can while delivering the bare minimum to act like you're doing a job.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chris Roberts might have actually pulled it off through sheer vast immolation of hundreds of millions of dollars and shambled across the finish line with a forgettable Space Rome MMO had he not marked the project for death by selecting a game engine unfit for purpose.

Micromanaging the project to exhaustion from a yacht in the Mediterranean is inefficient as hell, but it can be overcome by spending a quarter of a billion dollars on a game that probably should have cost a tenth of that amount. However, deliberately selecting a game engine that was already dying out back in 2011--that also quite literally does not support some of the features that are needed for the game to work--created an insurmountable debt that that are still trying to pay down to this day.

Edit: it's worth mentioning that this is the same engine that, after Amazon acquired/forked it, resulted in such a glitchy MMO experience that it cut down the New World launch down at it's knees and relegated the game to an ongoing playerbase smaller than EvE Online. It's just not suitable for the task out of the box: great for a single player game but a death sentence for a true MMO.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen can't actually be completed as sold because Chris was promising thousands of players in a single server all fighting in a giant space battle happening in real time at realistic FPS and fully persistant everything (items never despawn when dropped). No engine is capable of that.

I do agree I think at one point he believed he could make the greatest game of all time but pretty much right out of the gate he was selling poo poo that was almost impossible especially for the money raised to achieve.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Popete posted:

Star Citizen can't actually be completed as sold because Chris was promising thousands of players in a single server all fighting in a giant space battle happening in real time at realistic FPS and fully persistant everything (items never despawn when dropped). No engine is capable of that.

I do agree I think at one point he believed he could make the greatest game of all time but pretty much right out of the gate he was selling poo poo that was almost impossible especially for the money raised to achieve.

What if travelling salesman problem but even more complex

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the traveling whalesman

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bargaining, Wailing, Mashing of teeth

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Strong Sauce posted:

second, i mean that dude got into a bad situation where he tweeted something that IMO should not have gotten him any kind of record at all. eating someone's heart is not a threat unless you're saying something like, "i'm going to murder you and eat your heart"... like what petty bullshit is that to have it happen.

He seems to be blaming everything on this, without any real evidence that it's the issue, and in fact it's more likely that he's just generally intolerable and unwanted.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

blackmet posted:

But there's multiple rungs to fall before you hit that point. I'd probably start with stuff close to what I'm doing now, then slide down to stuff a level or two below, then head for office temp agencies and call centers, before going to retail/fast food. Maybe do some Door dash or Instacart to bridge the gap for a bit. And my degree is basically the equivalent of his.

This is the real issue. If you've got a skillset that normally commands six figures you're going to be able to find loving SOMEBODY who will employ you at $50k while you re-build your resume and life. A few jobs ago I was a supervisor and one of the guys on my team was a 60 year old in a position that was way, way junior of what he should have had. Tl;dr is that he hosed up his life really bad with alcohol culminating in losing his job and generally loving up his network of contacts. Lots of burned bridges. He was in a really poo poo situation, but at the end of the day it meant he was taking jobs way below what he should have had and with an employer that was frankly terrible and unstable (they bounced paychecks with alarming frequency).

Go far enough down the food chain and you'll find someone who doesn't give a poo poo that you're That Guy from the social media clusterfuck and news story.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the real issue. If you've got a skillset that normally commands six figures you're going to be able to find loving SOMEBODY who will employ you at $50k while you re-build your resume and life. A few jobs ago I was a supervisor and one of the guys on my team was a 60 year old in a position that was way, way junior of what he should have had. Tl;dr is that he hosed up his life really bad with alcohol culminating in losing his job and generally loving up his network of contacts. Lots of burned bridges. He was in a really poo poo situation, but at the end of the day it meant he was taking jobs way below what he should have had and with an employer that was frankly terrible and unstable (they bounced paychecks with alarming frequency).

Go far enough down the food chain and you'll find someone who doesn't give a poo poo that you're That Guy from the social media clusterfuck and news story.

This is good advice. And, of course, since Caleb Hammer has absolutely no actual financial or career-counseling education/experience, the only thing he can think of is telling the guy to get a fast food job.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Even the FIRE financial samurai guy is smarter than that. https://fortune.com/2023/04/09/early-retiree-fire-movement-returns-to-work-financial-samurai/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao a shameful financial samurai, he should commit financial seppuku to atone for his failure.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

He'd be just fine but he early retired in SF where his $3m can maybe buy him a couple coffees at the corner shop.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Midjack posted:

Lmao a shameful financial samurai, he should commit financial seppuku to atone for his failure.

Nah, seppuku to his finances. Except he's already done that for a few years. So it becomes Financial Domination Samurai.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

More like "gently caress, I Return to Employment"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Figured
Inflation
Rarely
Existed

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Fixed
Income:
Real
Estate

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Financial
Illiterate
Resumes
Employment

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every 2 or 3 years I actually need to look up what FIRE now stands for and I am not sure how I feel about that

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit
He should just move out of SF and his financial troubles are solved. Flordia?