Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So what are they, some kind of suicide squad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pizzaro is going to take over Laughtale and try to run away with it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
cool chapter but i hope to see some novel usage of the revealed fruits. they sorta seem like fruit++ for some we've seen in the story already

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

tbp posted:

cool chapter but i hope to see some novel usage of the revealed fruits. they sorta seem like fruit++ for some we've seen in the story already

well how long ago was the whole premise of "some fruits have a relationship of superiority/inferiority" established, just with ace and akainu? makes sense that we'd eventually get around to someone who's plan is to take all the 'superior' fruits in those relationships

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The Blackbeard Pirates haven't even faced the most powerful weapon that Koby's crew can bring to bear

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

tbp posted:

I think that's the point. The BB crew went around stealing fruits that would give them quick and easy power-ups but it ultimately isn't going to be enough to beat the Strawhats, who actually put in the effort to make their weird fighting styles work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be honest. Booze fruit souds weird.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Meme Emulator posted:

Pizzaro is going to take over Laughtale and try to run away with it

it’s going to be how you really find One Piece and that’s what made Roger laugh

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
all this stuff is supposed to be happening at roughly the same time all over the New world so right now BB should be busy with Law.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

you can wash out bloodstains easily, a useful power for pirate island

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I can just feel people wanting Garp to have a 10 star bounty.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mikes Hard Hard Fruit

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Wait.

If San Juan's size is due to a devil fruit

How the hell does he keep wandering around shoulders deep in the ocean

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Got a glug glug bubble around his body

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Got a glug glug bubble around his body

That fruit is definitely like Law's or Sugar's where it has a bunch of different abilities that are vaguely thematically connected to booze or being drunk. Making bubbles, blowing fire, maybe like making people dizzy, generating energy blasts shaped like pink elephants, etc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is one of those chapters where you can start hearing WE ARE in the last few pages

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Supremezero posted:

Wait.

If San Juan's size is due to a devil fruit

How the hell does he keep wandering around shoulders deep in the ocean

How Water Affects Devil Fruit Users has always been an incredibly inconsistent thing but I think the explanation Oda would use is that because Wolf is not completely submerged, he doesn't weaken.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

How Water Affects Devil Fruit Users has always been an incredibly inconsistent thing but I think the explanation Oda would use is that because Wolf is not completely submerged, he doesn't weaken.

Oda has actually been pretty specific about the water from pretty early on. If any part of the body is submerged in standing water, the user is unable to use their powers (except when the powers are a permanent change to the body, like Luffy), and they are immobilized when they're more than half submerged.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jassa posted:

Kuzan, Laffitte, Devon and the secret tenth Titanic Captain are the most likely candidates to show up at Egghead right now.

Devon is definitely going to show up disguised as someone else and gently caress something up

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Devon is definitely going to show up disguised as someone else and gently caress something up

Maybe she'll disguise herself as Aokiji to trick the SWORD members into revealing whether or not Aokiji is a member?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Oda has actually been pretty specific about the water from pretty early on. If any part of the body is submerged in standing water, the user is unable to use their powers (except when the powers are a permanent change to the body, like Luffy), and they are immobilized when they're more than half submerged.

wait, I thought the “can’t use powers” thing was just from being drained of energy, that’s why Robin can use her gigantic hands on the trip to Fishman Islsnd but can’t control them good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blackbeard: My plan is to turn this town into my own kingdom.
Blackbeard's Crew: We gotta be sure not to damage the town too bad, it'll make Blackbeard mad.
Garp: :rubby:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
really wondering if blackbeard wants to become king so he can get a seat at the WG and have a shot at becoming king of the world

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Oh poo poo what if Blackbeard is taking the title of "Pirate King" literally. Like he wants to be king of the WG who is also a pirate?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not sure why Blackbeard thinks the WG would give him a position again after he betrayed them last time.

One possibility is that he doesn’t actually think they will; it’s just an opening offer to make what he actually wants in return for a hostage seem more reasonable.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i wonder what smoker's up to, is he part of this mission too, since tashigi is there? he's been conspicuously absent from these chapters with the g-14 marines so far

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

wait, I thought the “can’t use powers” thing was just from being drained of energy, that’s why Robin can use her gigantic hands on the trip to Fishman Islsnd but can’t control them good.

Drained, but still able to move

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure why Blackbeard thinks the WG would give him a position again after he betrayed them last time.

One possibility is that he doesn’t actually think they will; it’s just an opening offer to make what he actually wants in return for a hostage seem more reasonable.

Koby alone won't be enough likely but If Kuzan/Devon/Lafitte/etc are headed to egghead then that's an opportunity to capture Saturn. That's a valuable piece to have under blackbeard's control if nothing else. It's the sort of thing that could start a global war too. So maybe that's how its going to happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thinking about that Garp punch at the end of the chapter makes me think how (earlier story arc) the rank-and-file marines must have felt seeing what they probably assumed was a legitimate one-hit KO of Garp by a rookie like Straw Hat Luffy at Marineford. Then again, that was a pretty wild and crazy time, they saw some poo poo there that day.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So thinking over this chapter... where the heck is this going to go next? This feels like the Shanks vs Kid setup where I couldn't imagine Kid doing anything to Shanks, but I felt that it was way too early in the story for Kid to actually go down after all he had been built up. Turns out one of my fundamental assumptions was off in that case and Kid was not being built up as a rival for Luffy, but for the absolutely highest level failed foil. He may yet have a role, but it's not to parallel Luffy any more.

So what's going to happen with the story here? And not just here in this battle, which seems like Garp kind of has in the bag, but in this conflict. Garp can't just come in and gently caress up Blackbeard with impunity, can he? Sure, with the way the story is going, Blackbeard is still on the rise as the final antagonist, and Garp's victory will have to be mitigated by an even greater success by Blackbeard, right? I suppose Blackbeard has so many irons in the fire that he could just get a completely unrelated victory, but narritively it feels like this should have consequences for Garp- the cool old mentor's role in the story isn't to happily retire- but I really can't see the Blackbeard pirates as they are being able to really stand up against him.

I feel like, as with Kid vs Shanks, there's got to be some assumption I'm making which is completely wrong, and I look forward to having my jaw drop for some reason I can't foresee at some point in the future!

JuniperCake posted:

Koby alone won't be enough likely but If Kuzan/Devon/Lafitte/etc are headed to egghead then that's an opportunity to capture Saturn. That's a valuable piece to have under blackbeard's control if nothing else. It's the sort of thing that could start a global war too. So maybe that's how its going to happen.
Yeah, this has shades of his earlier plan where he needs to be a Warlord so he's going to take in Luffy after Enies Lobby, and thinks getting a 100k rookie will be enough, but then suddenly runs into Ace who is definitely enough. Now he wants to force the government to recognize his sovereignty (note: forcing doesn't require trust, it requires power- he's not saying he'll play nice if they give it to him, he's saying he'll play worse if he doesn't get what he wants), and so he kidnaps Koby first, thinking a random fairly popular captain will be enough, before he stumbles onto Saturn who will definitely be enough.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kild posted:

Me waiting the extra day for the TCB scan.

Source? Looks cool.

:lmao:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 7, 2023

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Source? Looks cool.

:lmao:

That's hunter x hunter

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
This is definitely the beginnings of Oda's "No way!! That person and that person are gonna be fighting?! I'd call it a 'great battle royale!'" message from Jump Festa 202

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Blackbeard has always been willing to work with the WG for his benefit. Right after the Paramount War he attempted to trade Bonney for a Warship, but ran when he realized it was not a trading force coming but a capture force lead by Sakazuki.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

aokiji self-snitching

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Why's it not use the actual panel!!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's worth remembering that Devon, Shot, Pizzaro and Wolf are different from the rest of his crew. Blackbeard cherry-picked Devil Fruits for the rest of his crew, but those four were chosen after they survived the Level 6 Impel Down Battle Royale. The rest of his crew is still getting used to their new powers, but the four of them were already established pirates and clearly capable of using their powers to their full (and lethal) extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
San Juan Wolf doesn't freeze up in the ocean because he has enough body hair to trap air bubbles and insulate himself from sea water. Seems Oda enough.