Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Yorozu really thought Sukuna did not get around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pierson posted:

Megumi seething as Sukuna uses all the cool poo poo he hasn't gotten around to yet. But for real easy access to RCT is great and it's getting easier to see why Ten Shadows is held up there with the Six Eyes.

Yeah seeing the ultimate forms of a bunch of the ten shadows is really cool and it's awesome seeing just how powerful a technique it is. Not that Megumi was weak but his strength largely came from having so much versatility. Sukuna has that too but each summon by itself is just absurdly strong too. Really curious if Megumi gets his body back if he has access to all the shadows Sukuna has summoned. Like when someone pays to have a pro max level their MMO or Overwatch account lol.

I guess the mechanics of TS are still somewhat vague. I know it starts when the user is given 2 dog shikigami. I was never sure originally what Megumi meant when he said he had only recently "tamed" maximum elephant. then we get the big explanation in Shibuya about summoning and taming the ten shikigami. I wasn't clear if it's a set amount of ten though or there's a bigger pool you can choose from to summon and tame. Or if every previous user had been stuck at 9 unable to tame Mahoraga.

I love that Sukuna isn't just the sephiroth style of ancient baddy archly monologuing. He's also a massive bitch and incredibly petty at all times.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I love that Sukuna isn't just the sephiroth style of ancient baddy archly monologuing. He's also a massive bitch and incredibly petty at all times.

One thing I love soooo much about this manga is Sukuna. There's dozens of villains out there whose whole schtick is just causing as much chaos and damage as possible and just being evil for the sake of being evil and it almost always feels rote and cliché. But Sukuna? I loving despise Sukuna, I wanna see his poo poo get kicked in so bad because he just deserves it so drat bad. And tbh I don't exactly comprehend how exactly Gege pulled it off either, because when I think about it rationally I can't really think of a real objective reason that sets him apart from the rest of the realm of Super Evil Baddies but he's just so... convincingly written as this entity consisting entirely of spite and malice. It's like he's a force of nature more than anything (which fits in amazingly well with the Jujutsu theme of baddies as forces of nature of course). So well done.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cgfreak posted:

One thing I love soooo much about this manga is Sukuna. There's dozens of villains out there whose whole schtick is just causing as much chaos and damage as possible and just being evil for the sake of being evil and it almost always feels rote and cliché. But Sukuna? I loving despise Sukuna, I wanna see his poo poo get kicked in so bad because he just deserves it so drat bad. And tbh I don't exactly comprehend how exactly Gege pulled it off either, because when I think about it rationally I can't really think of a real objective reason that sets him apart from the rest of the realm of Super Evil Baddies but he's just so... convincingly written as this entity consisting entirely of spite and malice. It's like he's a force of nature more than anything (which fits in amazingly well with the Jujutsu theme of baddies as forces of nature of course). So well done.

I think its because nowadays there's so many subversions of his type of character that having a series that plays him entirely straightforward is refreshing. He's the evil spirit residing within Yuji that grants him great power at a price, except he doesn't have a tragic backstory, he's not secretly misunderstood, he doesn't grow to like the protagonist and get redeemed by him because he's such a good boy. He's just an rear end in a top hat that likes laughing at the misfortune at others.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Sukuna is always having a blast being evil, and that enthusiasm tranfers to the readers. Compare how you feel seeing him slice up fools to Muzan in Demon Slayer, who's also just an rear end in a top hat, but always looks bored killing people.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes fun to hate, and hes obviously having the time of his unlife, all the time.
Everyone loves a scwnery chewing ham villain

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Sukuna also has enormous DIO energy in that his spite and cruelty to all the way down to very simple acts of just being a super petty rear end in a top hat that are incredibly entertaining.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when yuji reached his wits' end and just flat out asked why sukuna loves hurting people so much he basically retorted with "why are you such a bitch"

he's completely one-dimensional in a good way, everything he is and does exists to cause problems on purpose and have a grand old time doing it. everyone who tries to make an alliance with him ends up blindsided for the same reason good guys like yuji can't come to grips with him - he isn't some evil overlord, he's a bully

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 4, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like there's a bit more there than being evil just because- he just literally thinks everyone's beneath him and he even sort of explains why. "Why do you people who fall apart at the slightest touch want to be happy all the time?" "You people were made to be eaten."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah seeing the ultimate forms of a bunch of the ten shadows is really cool and it's awesome seeing just how powerful a technique it is. Not that Megumi was weak but his strength largely came from having so much versatility. Sukuna has that too but each summon by itself is just absurdly strong too. Really curious if Megumi gets his body back if he has access to all the shadows Sukuna has summoned. Like when someone pays to have a pro max level their MMO or Overwatch account lol.

I guess the mechanics of TS are still somewhat vague. I know it starts when the user is given 2 dog shikigami. I was never sure originally what Megumi meant when he said he had only recently "tamed" maximum elephant. then we get the big explanation in Shibuya about summoning and taming the ten shikigami. I wasn't clear if it's a set amount of ten though or there's a bigger pool you can choose from to summon and tame. Or if every previous user had been stuck at 9 unable to tame Mahoraga.

It's stated that Sukuna can do more cause he has more Cursed Energy.

For example Megumi was incapble of Keeping the Elephant out at the same time as others.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scallop Eyes posted:

Sukuna is always having a blast being evil, and that enthusiasm tranfers to the readers. Compare how you feel seeing him slice up fools to Muzan in Demon Slayer, who's also just an rear end in a top hat, but always looks bored killing people.

Muzan was a hateable piece of poo poo too. But he's different from Sukuna in that despite his power he was a coward without an ounce of pride. Sukuna is supremely confident, and enjoys himself more.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Muzan's petty and spiteful as gently caress, whereas Sukuna's a jerk with swagger. Love (to hate) them both.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fabricated posted:

I like there's a bit more there than being evil just because- he just literally thinks everyone's beneath him and he even sort of explains why. "Why do you people who fall apart at the slightest touch want to be happy all the time?" "You people were made to be eaten."

That's literally being pretty loving evil, op.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think they're saying that Sukuna isn't evil just cause he's evil, but that he's evil because he considers himself to be on a different level of existence than humans/everything else and isn't beholden to their standards/morals/etc. in the same vein that humans don't really care about the happiness of what they consume.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Though honestly I don't even think that's a special/rare thing in a villain.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/6623/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-219?&date=6-4-2023-22

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Sukuna always seems to be quite, supportive?, after a win.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Whew was worried for a second there that another female character might survive, thank god. Kind of a sloppy end to this one. Beginning to mid was 10\10, end was a straight 2\10

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
another monster of a week fight where the enemy dies after throwing out a unblockable attack, on top of another woman dying. gege is hitting all his classics.

Only fight that broke the formula was hakaris side bout that just copied morel vs leol wholesale (cause I think even megumi’s fight earlier had that one weak sorceress lady die randomly on the side)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If it wasn’t so typical of Gege I wouldn’t care. Yorozu sucked anyways. But yeah, just another WOMEN DIES MOVING ON . Bleh

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Did Sukuna say the incantation to sound cool? I thought that was the initiation chant for the taming ritual since it's not used when summoning other Shikigami. It seems like he tamed Mahoraga offscreen because he can manifest only the wheel to allow Mahoraga to adapt to attacks before fully summoning it. Maybe he was making fun of Megumi lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Was expecting some cool Vanilla Ice poo poo and instead the sure-hit gets soloed and the fight ends on a wet fart.

yum posted:

Did Sukuna say the incantation to sound cool? I thought that was the initiation chant for the taming ritual since it's not used when summoning other Shikigami. It seems like he tamed Mahoraga offscreen because he can manifest only the wheel to allow Mahoraga to adapt to attacks before fully summoning it. Maybe he was making fun of Megumi lol

The lack of the black ropes on his neck might indicate that Mahoraga was tamed offscreen in addition to Sukuna summoning the wheel without the rest of the shikigami. Or it could be an art error; we'll have to wait for the volume release. :shrug: He does seem to toss the wheel into his shadow so the intended usage of the shikigami might be the 10 shadow user adapting to various attacks before swapping out and letting Mahoraga do the rest of the work.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Uncle Khasim posted:

Sukuna always seems to be quite, supportive?, after a win.

he respects anyone with the chutzpah to come at him and not die instantly

I really don't like how this fight ended so I'm hoping for some last minute twist. of course I said that right when Sukuna first took over Megumi so what do I know

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Brought To You By posted:

Was expecting some cool Vanilla Ice poo poo and instead the sure-hit gets soloed and the fight ends on a wet fart.

The lack of the black ropes on his neck might indicate that Mahoraga was tamed offscreen in addition to Sukuna summoning the wheel without the rest of the shikigami. Or it could be an art error; we'll have to wait for the volume release. :shrug: He does seem to toss the wheel into his shadow so the intended usage of the shikigami might be the 10 shadow user adapting to various attacks before swapping out and letting Mahoraga do the rest of the work.

oh that's a good catch

It sucks that another lady lost but I didn't really care for Yozuro as a character in the first place. Was more upset about Yuki getting bisected by Geto, cmon Gege at least give her a second fight

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skipmyseashells posted:

another monster of a week fight where the enemy dies after throwing out a unblockable attack, on top of another woman dying. gege is hitting all his classics.

Only fight that broke the formula was hakaris side bout that just copied morel vs leol wholesale (cause I think even megumi’s fight earlier had that one weak sorceress lady die randomly on the side)

No Remi survived, but was later captured by the soldiers.

Also didn't see the complaining about Ryu getting killed.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

I like the chapter and the fight was good. Not sure what the issue is, because this fight only served to break Megumi. Were you genuinely expecting Yorozu to escape this alive?

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Remi survived, but was later captured by the soldiers.

ryu and that sky demon were getting sandbagged by yuta, he wasn’t hyped up as some top tier sorcerer of the time like this lady who’s name I already forgot

Asuron posted:

I like the chapter and the fight was good. Not sure what the issue is, because this fight only served to break Megumi. Were you genuinely expecting Yorozu to escape this alive?

no but I expected a bit more than ‘making a sphere in blender with infinite vertexes’ as a ult, at least yuki had a visually cooler unbeatable move before kenjaku no sold that

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

gege is gonna have to work overtime from next chapter, he's running out of women to kill. Get Nobara on-screen for a single panel to kill her

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skipmyseashells posted:

ryu and that sky demon were getting sandbagged by yuta, he wasn’t hyped up as some top tier sorcerer of the time like this lady who’s name I already forgot

no but I expected a bit more than ‘making a sphere in blender with infinite vertexes’ as a ult, at least yuki had a visually cooler unbeatable move before kenjaku no sold that

Yuta was not sandbagging. But Ryu was considered one of the best of his age along with Kashimo. Uro was similar Yorozu was stated last chapter as being on the same level as Uro.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I complained. Ryu was a big dumb combat romantic and he didn't even get to enjoy his last desert.

Bacon Biscuits
Mar 2, 2013
Been catching up with JJK while lurking on this thread. I took an extended break during the Goodwill Arc and whoa - stuff happened.
I'm contemplating the timeline for Kenjaku's plans and the recent development concerning Tsumiki:

28 yrs ago - the Gojo 6eyes w/limitless is born, and Kenny decides killing him is not the way to go. Coincidentally (?), a curse spirit manipulation user is also born. They becomes besties. Body that Kenny is in at the time: unknown.

15 yrs ago - Zenin 10s user born. Kenny is in the body of a woman, gives birth to a boy presumably intended to be the vessel for Sukuna someday.

11 yrs ago - wth is Kenny? My guess is that he's part of that organization that hired Toji, making him Toji's real client. This makes sense to me since Kenny wants to interfere with the Tengen merger. Maybe he is still living as Yuji's mom at this point? If he did not orchestrate this, then he got quite lucky. The bestie breakup happens.

A year and a half ago - A girl is cursed and prepped to be the host for a Heian sorcerer. She just "happens" to be the sister of that Zenin 10s user.

11 months ago (since JJK present day is Nov 2018) - JJK0 happens. Geto dies. Some time after, Kenny hijacks Geto body. Wth was Kenny during JJK0? This also seems like fortuitous timing.

About 2-3 months ago: Yuji swallows a Sukuna finger, and that was a really bad idea. Sukuna takes an interest in Megumi after observing 10s. Mahito manifests (?) Kenny begins executing his plans, and thus far succeeds.

If the above is accurate, then Tsumiki was cursed before the events of JJK0, so before Kenjaku has access to CSM and the means to distract Gojo, which he presumably needs for his grand plan. This would also be before Mahito, who was also part of the plan. This is strange. Kenny would have to be prescient or have phenomenal good luck. Meanwhile, the finger-swallowing seems almost incidental for Kenjaku. It doesn't seem like Sukuna's presence matters for him. Which is also strange.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if he wanted sukuna in play there were other fingers out there. it didn't have to be yuji.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
*Dangerfieldishly* Hey Gege, could you put my wife in your manga?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bacon Biscuits posted:

11 yrs ago - wth is Kenny? My guess is that he's part of that organization that hired Toji, making him Toji's real client. This makes sense to me since Kenny wants to interfere with the Tengen merger. Maybe he is still living as Yuji's mom at this point? If he did not orchestrate this, then he got quite lucky. The bestie breakup happens.

Kenjaku states he was not involved with anything here, it just happened to work out very well for him.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah I don't get the impression he's some master manipulator behind everything and the whole plot has been everyone dancing to his tune. He's immortal and patient. I think he's just been setting up a lot of dominoes over the years, waiting for circumstances to align just enough to let him enact his big plan. Maybe this will be undermined later, but the cursed wombs and maybe even Yuji seem to be just remnants of plans that didn't quite pan out

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if he wanted sukuna in play there were other fingers out there. it didn't have to be yuji.

Yuji was basically a suitcase for all of Sukuna's fingers. He wanted to gather the fingers in one place for Sukuna's resurrection, but doing so without suppressing them would mean attracting a lot of unwanted attention from Jujutsu society. Having Yuji ingest them makes it less suspicious that these extremely powerful artifacts are disappearing one by one. I think he also didn't want Sukuna to gently caress up his plans until after the Culling games started too since that guy just does what he wants. Like Kenjaku wanted to absorb Jogo too but, well, Sukuna kind of blew him up for fun.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Sukuna wanted to destroy Tsumiki's body with Megumi's technique to weaken his soul, but if anything, it looks like it (or whatever Yorozu left behind) has given light to Megumi's soul trapped within his body.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flair posted:

Sukuna wanted to destroy Tsumiki's body with Megumi's technique to weaken his soul, but if anything, it looks like it (or whatever Yorozu left behind) has given light to Megumi's soul trapped within his body.

The text in the unofficial chapter that Viz takes out for some reason, states he is actually sinking.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lamebot posted:

*Dangerfieldishly* Hey Gege, could you put my wife in your manga?

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The text in the unofficial chapter that Viz takes out for some reason, states he is actually sinking.

Yeah, I trust Sukuna. He knows what he's doing. He's not going to gently caress up and make Megumi stronger. This guy has been at it for centuries, he knows his stuff.