Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Last year I used Roundup gel on dandelions in my lawn, it worked okay. It's £30 for one container the size of a stick of deoderant though, are there any cheaper alternatives? I do have the concentrate for spraying but obviously that's no good for mass spraying on a lawn. Maybe if there was a way to apply that directly in a convenient way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Last year I used Roundup gel on dandelions in my lawn, it worked okay. It's £30 for one container the size of a stick of deoderant though, are there any cheaper alternatives? I do have the concentrate for spraying but obviously that's no good for mass spraying on a lawn. Maybe if there was a way to apply that directly in a convenient way?

For more direct applications, make a wick stick or use a sponge.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Dandelions are delicious.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why are you using glyphosate on your lawn? Find something with 2,4-D as the active ingredient. It will kill broadleaf weeds like dandelion and won't do a thing to your grass. You can spot apply it and not worry about getting some on the grass around the weeds, or if the problem is widespread just broadcast apply it to the entire lawn to get things under control. Then spot applications should suffice.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you’re gonna use 2,4-D do a test patch on some of your grass before you spray the whole yard. Some grasses are sensitive to it. St. Augustine is for sure, ask me how I know :derp:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you’re gonna use 2,4-D do a test patch on some of your grass before you spray the whole yard. Some grasses are sensitive to it. St. Augustine is for sure, ask me how I know :derp:

Oh ouch, it's too cold here for that so I had no idea. Good call out.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

If you are trying to apply roundup in a controlled manner, one of those small foam paintbrushes works best in my experience. Just uh, keep it in a bag for future applications or make sure to throw it away when you are done.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is there a brand of garden hose that doesn’t suck?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in my experience you've got Durable, Flexible, Inexpensive: pick maybe two but more like one

i use gilmour and dramm hoses that i leave in place to provide hookups in a few different spots. they're pretty good but they're expensive and tough and not very flexible and don't coil easily. i keep a few cheaper hoses around that are more flexible and storable

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 8, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The recommendations for 2,4-D are really helpful, thanks.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Calidus posted:

Is there a brand of garden hose that doesn’t suck?

In most of my experience they blow instead but I don't know what the water pressure situation is at your house

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think it's certain kinds of St. Augustine. I have some Weed-Out with 2,4-D and it has a listed application rate for St. Augustine (albeit the lowest rate on the label). It also contains a bolded warning to not apply to Floratam.

It also says not to apply in the root zone of desirable ornamentals, which I suppose includes the half dozen crepe myrtles in my back yard. Based on this article it sounds like dicamba is the reason for this? I have dollarweed and oxalis becoming a real problem under those trees and was going to try the Roundup with a paintbrush trick, but now I'm wondering if straight 2,4‐D might be safe.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hexigrammus posted:

What type of fertilizer? My chinchilla dust (rock dust fertilizer equivalent) has an expiry date, I remain skeptical.
Dr. Earth's acid lover's organic

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

Dr. Earth's acid lover's organic

The expiration is for the microbes in the mix, but the rest of the ingredients are inert and mostly shelf stable.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also Buffalo Grass.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Discussion Quorum posted:

I think it's certain kinds of St. Augustine. I have some Weed-Out with 2,4-D and it has a listed application rate for St. Augustine (albeit the lowest rate on the label). It also contains a bolded warning to not apply to Floratam.

It also says not to apply in the root zone of desirable ornamentals, which I suppose includes the half dozen crepe myrtles in my back yard. Based on this article it sounds like dicamba is the reason for this? I have dollarweed and oxalis becoming a real problem under those trees and was going to try the Roundup with a paintbrush trick, but now I'm wondering if straight 2,4‐D might be safe.

It didn't kill my St. Augustine (which is not floratam) but it definitely cause some yellowing of the leaves and slowed the growth considerably in the areas that I sprayed. So I guess it did work, but it didn't look great for a while. Now I use a weed and feed fertilizer once a year in spring to keep the creeping charlie somewhat in check and just mow what grows. I've sprayed oxalis/dollarweed with roundup under trees all the time and never had any problem. It only gets absorbed by very freshly cut woody stumps or otherwise parts of the plant that are green and growing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Tomatoes officially in the ground here in 7A.

Hardening off some squash, peppers, watermelon, ground cherries, basil, etc for some time soon hopefully.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chad Sexington posted:

Tomatoes officially in the ground here in 7A.

Hardening off some squash, peppers, watermelon, ground cherries, basil, etc for some time soon hopefully.

:toot:
I might get my kale and leeks into the ground here under cover this week.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've too many chili seedlings

These are just the leftovers. Anybody want some?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not "gardening" per se, but on a similar topic to the above, does anyone have any tricks for clearing poison ivy? I've been watching like a hawk all winter waiting to see some pop up so I could possibly do a quick gloved pull while they were small... But in the past rainy week, while I wasn't really able to check, they seem to have absolutely exploded overnight, filling an area of probably like 25 square feet or so. And now it's at the point where I wouldn't dare go near them without some kind of special equipment.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kill it with fire (don't do that the smoke will poison you)

Instead fight fire with fire and poison the poison ivy w herbicide

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Lemming posted:

Not "gardening" per se, but on a similar topic to the above, does anyone have any tricks for clearing poison ivy? I've been watching like a hawk all winter waiting to see some pop up so I could possibly do a quick gloved pull while they were small... But in the past rainy week, while I wasn't really able to check, they seem to have absolutely exploded overnight, filling an area of probably like 25 square feet or so. And now it's at the point where I wouldn't dare go near them without some kind of special equipment.

Roundup.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Glyphosphate is pretty easy to find but I'd be breaking out the scary bottles for that mess. I've had luck with triclopyr specifically on poison ivy. I don't normally have much of a reaction to the plant but if you've had a history with it in particular it can be worth paying someone to just go scorched earth on it. It can be remarkably resilient.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Sir Lemming posted:

There are goat rental places that will clear that up for you. Goats eat just about anything.

Also, not sure where you live, but there are folks that will pull it all out and dispose of it for you for a fee.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think we got scared away once by a quote that was like $3000, but we may have been unwilling to use chemicals or something, so maybe that increased the price. Or maybe the guy was just BSing us. We'll have to shop around a little more and see what happens.

We've definitely been talking about the goat thing for years, I actually wasn't sure if it was a totally real thing or just something my in-laws heard about on YouTube. Absolutely going to look into that for real now.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’ve read you can just mow poison ivy short and it will die over time. Never tried it myself.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’ve read you can just mow poison ivy short and it will die over time. Never tried it myself.

I know from deeply regrettable experience that this is a great way to spray poison ivy juice all over yourself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just for those who aren't aware:

Poison ivy is toxic when dead

Poison ivy is toxic when burned

Poison ivy toxins can be transferred second-hand (e.g. from pets to humans)

Poison ivy is apparently only toxic to humans, and every time you get exposed will produce a reaction worse than the time before.

I have no experience with clearing it, only dealing with it in the wild, but mowing it and spraying it everywhere seems bad. IMO spraying it with glyphosphate and then putting a barrier around it for a year+ so that it can decompose and go away seems like the best solution. And the barrier isn't to sequester the glyphosphate: it's for the dead poison ivy

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I know from deeply regrettable experience that this is a great way to spray poison ivy juice all over yourself.

This is good to know

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

That's how I learned about the phototoxic properties of the alien invasive Giant Hogweed, weedeating the stuff in the summer while wearing shorts and sandals. Not fun.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Keep in mind that even if you have it removed (by goats, or by hand) it will come back in some areas. You’ll need to continue to rip out what you find growing. We’ve been hand pulling it for a couple years now.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My husband got some poison oak secondhand from clothes and ended up in the hospital and had to get injections to clear up the swelling and rashes. Don't gently caress around with that poo poo!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

That's how I learned about the phototoxic properties of the alien invasive Giant Hogweed, weedeating the stuff in the summer while wearing shorts and sandals. Not fun.

And the color palette swap, wild parsnip!

I'm currently trying to figure out what I can do or get the city to do about all the wild parsnip growing on the slope up to a nearby highway.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ThePopeOfFun posted:

lmfao

don't do that unless you're a reckless tyvek suit owner or you simply just love itching yourself

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I nixed the idea of mowing or weedwacking it a long time ago, for sure.

We're probably going with goats. It's been an idea for a long time and we have the space for it, just need to prepare some kind of shelter.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

goats is obviously the most fun solution here so great choice. some "rental" goat places bring shelter and fencing and stuff to the site. they're definitely real theres a few companies here that do it

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
As a goat owner I'll warn you, goats never what eat what you want them to unless you confine them to a small area for an extended period of time (days or weeks) with nothing else to forage. Even then, they might continue to ignore what you want them to eat and start stripping the bark off of trees instead.

The goat land clearing businesses get around this by having a poo poo ton of goats in an area at once.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arven posted:

As a goat owner I'll warn you, goats never what eat what you want them to unless you confine them to a small area for an extended period of time (days or weeks) with nothing else to forage. Even then, they might continue to ignore what you want them to eat and start stripping the bark off of trees instead.

The goat land clearing businesses get around this by having a poo poo ton of goats in an area at once.

Ah so that's why they're offering so many.

Nonetheless this will probably be a recurring problem and the solution lines up with what we want anyway, so I think we have a plan. (We're thinking of some form of leashing when we want them to eat poison ivy or another specific weed, and then roaming the fenced-in backyard otherwise. Though I do need to protect my pear tree.)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hexigrammus posted:

Fig sap will do this too and it can be pretty nasty. The dermatologist got all excited when I said I thought that's what I had because she knew exactly what it was but had never seen it in person before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lime juice as well