Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They're going to fight after their dreams are revealed to be in some kind of conflict so that the fight has meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If Garp and BB do fight here (I don't think BB is on the island rn) would it be the first time we see BB in a major fight against someone who doesn't have a devil fruit power? If so, I could still see BB losing but taking some kind of massive damage/loss in the fallout.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is BB even home? I think he’s fighting Law at this point

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

hatty posted:

Is BB even home? I think he’s fighting Law at this point

Don't think it's been confirmed, especially since this arc has been jumping about with timeframes/characters. If BB is still fighting Law though, that'll probably mean it's either Laffite/Catarina/both of them heading to Egghead currently.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Blackbeard fought Law with Van Augur, Doc Q, Stronger, and Burgess. Garp punched the island with Vasco, Shiliew, Pizarro, and Sanjuan Wolf confirmed to be present. Assuming these events are happening simultaneously, then Kuzan, Lafitte, Catalina, and the mystery 10th member are all unaccounted for and could be heading to Egghead.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

garp is so cool

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I am so ready for more Garp, drat he is comfortably my favorite character just for pure implied insane power and I so want to see him at his max.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If Garp goes down it'll be on his own terms to allow the others to escape. It also opens up the possibility for Koby to meet back up with Luffy if he has other important information to pass on, like Blackbeard having the final poneglyph.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

No Wave posted:

Truthfully I am not currently pumped up for Blackbeard vs Luffy because we still dont know either of their motivations or why they'd even be in conflict. They still don't have anything to fight over! I can't see any meaning in their fighting at the moment.

Did you miss the whole arc where he killed his brother.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Do we know if Kuzan is supposed to be the 10th commander or not? Or is he just some kind of advisor or something? Was it ever said either way?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It'd be might drat rad if Koby got to have a cool fight somewhere around here, is all I'm thinking.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lobby is 10th crew member

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Caidin posted:

It'd be might drat rad if Koby got to have a cool fight somewhere around here, is all I'm thinking.

He already did, at Rocky Port. One of the top 5 best fights in One Piece, imo.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

jassa posted:

He already did, at Rocky Port. One of the top 5 best fights in One Piece, imo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Caidin posted:

But Koby isn't cool.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
nami is going to be the one to fight vasco shot because she can outdrink him + oda used his last appearance prior to this one to setup Weird Rapey Vibes with him and that just seems like an Oda interaction to create after doing that

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

tbp posted:

nami is going to be the one to fight vasco shot because she can outdrink him + oda used his last appearance prior to this one to setup Weird Rapey Vibes with him and that just seems like an Oda interaction to create after doing that

I wouldn't even rule out some kinda awesome girl power dual take down with her and Robin to cement that the bullshit that is his character can't stand up to strong women. Just have them one shot the gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Catarina Devin definitely seems like both a robin fight due to being brutal and nami because her fruit has transformation powers Vs the climatact

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

No Wave posted:

Truthfully I am not currently pumped up for Blackbeard vs Luffy because we still dont know either of their motivations or why they'd even be in conflict. They still don't have anything to fight over! I can't see any meaning in their fighting at the moment.

He caught Ace, so Luffy has every right to have a grudge against him. But that doesnt even matter, theyre going to come into conflict on the road to Laughtale and there can be only one Pirate King. Thats all the motivation you need!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

so I wonder if the little blurb we saw between bb/kuzan causes a break - maybe now bb thinks kuzan was lying to him since garp showed up to save Koby, even tho kuzan said no one would?

Also there’s no way Kuzan isn’t a mole IMO, so that would potentially take another large chip off the table - or maybe narratively oda decides to make kuzan stab BB in the back at a key moment, which would fit really well thematically

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Kuzan is in no way ride-or-die for Blackbeard. He's just die. Maybe Sanji kicks his rear end after Teach laughs off his betrayal.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know the Straw Hats 1v1ing the Blackbeard Pirates is the most likely outcome, but I can't help but think that between Law, Garp, and whatever's going on at Egghead that the BB pirates are going to take at least a few losses before that theoretical showdown can happen. Like if Garp's jumping in now I'm expecting at least one of BB's crew to go down here

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
We have to assume that Teach has at least considered the possibility that Kuzan is a mole of some sort, right? It must be obvious to him for most of the same reasons it's obvious to us; he might not know as much as the audience about Kuzan's moral compass, but he knows perfectly well that Kuzan was an Admiral, Kuzan has probably been less cruel/ruthless than the other Blackbeard Pirates, Teach knows from experience that people sometimes join organizations under false pretenses, and now Kuzan himself has told Teach about the existence of SWORD.

So there's really only three directions this can go. One is that Kuzan's betrayal is part of Teach's plans all along somehow. Another is that Teach planning for Kuzan's betrayal is part of Kuzan's plans all along somehow. The third possibility is that Kuzan does something drastic to convince Teach of his loyalty (maybe killing Garp?).

Actually, another possibility is that as far as Teach is concerned, Kuzan has already proved his loyalty by abducting Pudding. He doesn't know about the difference between the different Admirals' understandings of justice, and thus assumes that anyone basically Marine-aligned would have killed Pudding to prevent Blackbeard from using her to read Poneglyphs. That's what Akainu would have done, after all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Can't wait to read whatever is going on in here!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Cool to see Garp cutting loose and going all out.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
kuzan seems unlikely to be one of the ten titanic captains because they were first mentioned at the dressrosa colosseum, which was also when burgess was having a "can we really trust kuzan" conversation with blackbeard. back then, blackbeard just said that they can't really trust shiryu either and laughed - he just doesn't care about the prospect of kuzan betraying him. he's happy to seize the opportunity of having someone as powerful as kuzan in the crew and will just try to deal with a betrayal if and when it happens.

blackbeard is a schemer but he's also fundamentally an opportunist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One thing Blackbeard has going for him over some of the other bad guys from the show is that when he eats poo poo or things blow up in his face or he fucks up badly, he seems to think it's loving hilarious and makes no bones about the fact that he's to blame/it's his gently caress-up. I can see him just cracking up if Aokiji ends up doing the most obvious thing and betraying him.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jerusalem posted:

One thing Blackbeard has going for him over some of the other bad guys from the show is that when he eats poo poo or things blow up in his face or he fucks up badly, he seems to think it's loving hilarious and makes no bones about the fact that he's to blame/it's his gently caress-up..

This is also why Blackbeard is the ultimate foil/villain for Luffy. On the surface Luffy often wins a fight by punching a guy really hard or whatever, but his victory often comes from shattering the dream of his opponent.

Refer back to possibly the greatest panel in the manga.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Bleck posted:

This is also why Blackbeard is the ultimate foil/villain for Luffy. On the surface Luffy often wins a fight by punching a guy really hard or whatever, but his victory often comes from shattering the dream of his opponent.

How can Luffy defeat him if he can't shatter his dreams?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bleck posted:

The above re: Blackbeard's dream is also why I think it's fun how one of the few times you see Blackbeard gotten to is when Whitebeard tells him,"It won't be you" regarding the One Piece/becoming King of the Pirates.

Love that so much.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bleck posted:

Page won't load, what is it?

e: nvm, it's the famous panel.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

No Wave posted:

It's always nice to get confirmation that some of the posters in this thread literally do not read, or at least do not understand even a fraction of a fraction of the idea of "themes."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blackbeard and Luffy both want to get the thing that the entire manga is named after, even

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

Blackbeard and Luffy both want to get the thing that the entire manga is named after, even

Oh, so One Piece is how you say Meat in Japanese.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah im going out for some Yakiwanpiisu

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
blackbeard's trusting of kuzan seems to mirror luffy's trusting of law

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Still interested to learn why Kuzan is okay teaming up with Blackbeard. Know he’s opposed to the marines but he seemed to have a more moral version of justice compared to the other admirals, and Blackbeard doesn’t really align with that. Not sure what he’s looking to get out of the relationship

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
So he can betray him.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The bigger twist would be if Kuzan is sincerely following Blackbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JahRoo posted:

Still interested to learn why Kuzan is okay teaming up with Blackbeard. Know he’s opposed to the marines but he seemed to have a more moral version of justice compared to the other admirals, and Blackbeard doesn’t really align with that. Not sure what he’s looking to get out of the relationship
If you aren’t with the marines, the only other power structure that affords you some room to operate in the New World is the yonkos